Living Maintenance - Maintainers Facing Fall Fearlessly

Pages : [1] 2

bargoo
08-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Time to start a new thread as Maintainers Losing It By Labor Day is getting close to the 500 mark.

traveling michele
08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Thanks for starting Bargoo. I am determined to take off the extra pounds I've found recently. I think I've finally gotten fed up enough to do something about it.

saef
08-31-2012, 05:46 AM
I am going to try an experiment of avoiding all powdered drink mixes and sugarfree gum for a few days. The former will be easy; the latter, not so much, as gum-chewing has turned into a habit of mine. I pop a stick of sugarfree at those moments when I probably would have eaten a piece of candy or sweet carbs. But I want to see if this reduces swelling in my legs and general fluid retention.

My weigh-in is far better than it was earlier this week, and close to what it was last week. I haven't had a period for several months but I've got symptoms that I associate with PMS, namely, really tender breasts. So there's something hormonal going on. That may also be messing with my weight somewhat.

BillBlueEyes
08-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Thank goodness. I wasn't keen on facing the reckoning of Labour Day just yet, LOL. But for the record, "Fall" shall not include Christmas.

(Note the addition of the 'u' in Labor Day in honor of our Canadian members.)

ICUwishing
08-31-2012, 07:34 AM
michele, I get you on the "fed up" feeling! The good part about it is once that feeling sets in, the route gets crystal clear.

saef, good luck with the experiment. Hopefully the hormones won't confound your results too much. I sure would love a couple month's break between TOM ...

allison, I can imagine that 128 was reed-thin on you! 150 is "okay" for me, too, in the right clothes. Jiggly is a good word for it. My 12000 cals/wk is geared for 140; I don't know what that will look like. I do know that each pound I'm taking off now is bringing a difference I can see. This week, it's a bit of arm definition. It's a little like unwrapping a Christmas present. :D

My average is moving in the right direction this week. 3.5 pounds in 8 weeks, which is laughably slow yet to my frame of mind, reassuringly consistent - the math still works! May it continue to work throughout the fall. Fearless!

freelancemomma
08-31-2012, 08:01 AM
(Note the addition of the 'u' in Labor Day in honor of our Canadian members.)

Hey, thanks! I'm a Canadian freelance writer with both Canadian and American clients, so I'm always having to "watch my u's."

F.

p.s. You forgot the u in "honour.":D

bargoo
08-31-2012, 08:37 AM
It's starting out to be a good day. Down 1.6 pounds !

ICUwishing
08-31-2012, 08:48 AM
bargoo - wow! That definitely kicks off the day right!

alinnell
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Hey, thanks! I'm a Canadian freelance writer with both Canadian and American clients, so I'm always having to "watch my u's."

F.

p.s. You forgot the u in "honour.":D

There is also a difference between s and z in some words, right?

BTW, it's much too hot for it to be this close to fall.

But I will persevere fearlessly. Hanging onto 151 this week for some strange reason.

traveling michele
08-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Scale is starting to go back in the right direction maybe. Dh leaves today for over two weeks so I have no excuses. I will not waver!

alinnell
08-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Friday = 1712.5

= 2214.8 (hope I don't eat THAT much!)

ICUwishing
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Entering Sept. at 148.5. Probable cause of blip was getting home from work to find DH had just completed a luscious bowl of spicy guacamole. Kinda calorie- dense! I made 12k for the week with about 20 to spare, so I still get my purple star (long story).

traveling michele
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Starting September at 124.6. I really want to get back below 120. My "happy" range is 118-120 but it's been months since I've been there. My dh is gone for the next 2 weeks and Tough Mudder is 3 weeks from today so I'm going to focus on clean eating and working out to see if I can make some headway.

neurodoc
09-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Bill- fall DEFINITELY doesn't include Christmas, even if the stupid Christmas stuff hits the stores (and the airwaves) before Halloween these days.
Michele- what on earth is Tough Mudder?
ICU- I associate purple stars with bodily harm; hope that isn't what it means for you. In any case, good going on breaking the mid-140s barrier for the first time since your 30s. That must feel wonderful.

As for me, I'm in the Reno airport, heading out for the first leg of our arduous flight home (stupid Delta changed our nice 2-leg flight to a 3-leg one and simply informed us of the change via email; can't believe that sort of bait-and-switch is legal). I haven't weighed myself in almost 2 weeks, and I'm scared even though I haven't been overeating (my body has an astonishing ability to gain 2-3 pounds in a week when I've "overeaten" by literally not more than 1000 calories beyond maintenance for the week).

Just out of curiousity, how many of you find the "eat this, not that," or "cut your portion in half and skip the breadbasket" type strategy to be helpful? I tried to employ it a few times this trip, but I find it STILL doesn't let me stay at the calorie level I need to maintain, and makes me feel super-sorry for myself besides (e.g., I skipped the bread, asked for the dressing on the side, had no wine OR dessert with dinner, am only eating half of the pasta on my plate, and it's STILL 500 calories of pasta plus whatever calories are in the pasta sauce, the oil on the veggies and the chicken breast-plus-sauce).

bargoo
09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Andrea, Delta is not my favorite airline. I won't take the time to go into it here but just say when my mother passed away in another state the only flight my brother and I could get was with Delta. I refer to that flight as the flight from ****. I avoid Delta if anything else is available.

alinnell
09-01-2012, 04:09 PM
So funny about the Delta problems--DH swears by them. It's United that messed us all up on our latest trip and we booked a flight in January on United--it was supposed to be Palm Springs to Ft. Lauderdale via Houston (what I thought seemed like a good connecting city in the dead of winter). A week after I purchased it, United emailed us stating that the flight was cancelled and to call to rebook--our only alternative was to connect in Denver. In January. If anyone has ever flown there in the winter you KNOW it is a snow hazard. I hope it doesn't ruin THIS cruise!

saef
09-01-2012, 10:04 PM
First day of sugarfree gum and powdered drink avoidance still ended with my feet swollen ... and this morning, the highest weigh-in I've seen since winter. I was horrified and it subtly influenced the rest of my day & not in a good way.

Okay.

I have to go back and find out who posted recommending that I put a teabag into my cold water bottle for a bit of flavor. Thank you, whoever that was: That worked really well. I had some Stash Green Chai and the flavor is excellent, even though I did not think the tea had diffused because the water looked really clear.

traveling michele
09-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Michele- what on earth is Tough Mudder?

Just out of curiousity, how many of you find the "eat this, not that," or "cut your portion in half and skip the breadbasket" type strategy to be helpful? I tried to employ it a few times this trip, but I find it STILL doesn't let me stay at the calorie level I need to maintain, and makes me feel super-sorry for myself besides (e.g., I skipped the bread, asked for the dressing on the side, had no wine OR dessert with dinner, am only eating half of the pasta on my plate, and it's STILL 500 calories of pasta plus whatever calories are in the pasta sauce, the oil on the veggies and the chicken breast-plus-sauce).

I hear you on the pitfalls of trying to be good when traveling. It is hard. You make great choices but the calories are still way higher than what you are used to. I try to do that as often as possible and get in as much exercise as possible-- it usually works pretty well-- when I'm not feeling sorry for myself.

Here is a description of Tough Mudder from their website:

Tough Mudder events are hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. With the most innovative courses, half a million inspiring participants, and more than $3 million raised for the Wounded Warrior Project, Tough Mudder is the premier adventure challenge series in the world.

I hadn't heard of it either before a co-worker suggested I do it. We have formed a small "team"-- we have 5 people on our team-- ideally we all go together and help each other finish. It isn't a race but more of a camaraderie event with the funds going to the Wounded Warrior Project. My dh was sold when I told him you get a beer at the end. You can also get a tattoo if you want! I don't think I'll do the tattoo but you never know!:dizzy:

alinnell
09-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Sheesh Saturday = 2160

=52 I didn't mean to go that far overboard but we went out to dinner. OMG this is shy we don't do that.

bargoo
09-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Michele, good luck on the Tough Mudder ! I will be with you in spirit. A worthy project , I hope they raise a lot of money.

saef
09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Michele, I already know you are one tough mudder, but it's events like this, when we get to try something new that calls on our training, that show us how far we've really come. I think you may surprise yourself and you are going to get comments from people that will give you a warm feeling & a sense of pride.

The day after my high weigh-in, I'm back down, even though my feet swelled up yesterday from walking around the city for a good part of the day in ill-fitting shoes. Really, I know better. My one rule regarding attire in the city is that one MUST pay attention to one's shoes. No big puffy white sneakers -- those are beyond the pale -- but anything else that is slim, dark, fairly stylish and above all, comfortable is the right choice. I made the wrong choice.

About the swollen legs and feet, I am starting to wonder if the stuff I ingest is only one part of the equation, and if the other part is the hours & hours I spend on my job seated in front of my laptop, puzzling over analysts' writing. My new desk, an early 19th century butler's desk, would work just as well standing, so I may think about standing intervals. And also, now my feet dangle, because my chair is jacked up high to reach this work surface, so I need some kind of foot-rest underneath them.

traveling michele
09-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Saef-- dangling feet sound like a bad idea-- poor circulation??? Try something underneath and see if that helps. Hope your tootsies feel better today!

Anyone else's weight get "stuck"? Mine seems to do that often. I've been "stuck" at 124.6 for days. Yesterday I ate like a saint, did a 60 minute boot camp and a 90 minute bikram yoga class. Was hoping for a whoosh but nope. Today's plan is a zumba class and more bikram yoga-- it's gotta move eventually. It's like my body knows my "red line" is 125 and it is sticking its tongue out at me.

I'm getting used to being an empty nester I think. I miss dd but she is definitely making friends now. Yesterday was their first football game and I haven't heard how it went but she was excited to go! Dh being gone overseas is allowing me to focus on my food, exercise, and stuff I need to get done around the house. It's funny how busy I can make myself. I need to make a Costco run but I'm not sure if I can fit it in today-- wonder if they're open tomorrow?

I'm also surprised more classes aren't cancelled at the gym tomorrow. Really-- who is going to be going to Body Pump at 4:30 on Labor Day besides me? I may be getting a private class!

saef
09-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Our gym has canceled all classes tomorrow but it's open. It will be opening two hours later than usual on a regular Monday and closing three hours earlier.

Michele, last time I experienced what you mentioned, I found out it wasn't me, it was my scale. My scale will give the same weight it gave the day before if the change is just .1 pound - .3 pounds. I have to reset it to see my true weight. You'll laugh, but the way I do this is to hold plank pose with my hands on the scale, making it register something around 90 pounds. Then, if I get on it again, I get a real weight rather than what it gave me the day before.

bargoo
09-02-2012, 01:51 PM
After reading the directions for my scale I discovered it has memory. When you step on it the first thing in AM it will show the weight from yesterday or the last time I weighed. If I don't get off but just stand there for a second or so the new true weight will show,

neurodoc
09-02-2012, 10:19 PM
VICTORY. My weight was 1/2 pound less this morning than when I left for CA.

My scale's favorite trick is to show me 2 different weights when I stand on the scale twice in quick succession, and then always opt for the higher weight when I recheck it 3 more times. I don't understand how this happens (and I don't usually stand on the scale twice; only if the first reading is different from the day before by more than ~1.5 pounds). It's not just me- the same thing happens to DH. I don't understand it.

alinnell
09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I get no tricks from my scale. I can weight myself 10 times in succession and get the same answer each time.

Tough day on calories yesterday. I'm not sure yet where I came in. BFF from SLC came for dinner and we ended up ordering pizza. It was good pizza--very thin crust with mushrooms, artichokes a little sausage. But the slices were huge--well the pizzas were huge. I'll calculate later.

traveling michele
09-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I shouldn't have complained about being stuck at 124.6. Today I'm 125.2. Sigh.

My computer isn't getting Internet this morning. I have no idea why as my iPad is. Double sigh.

Mudpie
09-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm really glad to be back and controlling my own food. No matter how carefully I scanned the menus I still got too many carbs last week. And they don't really "do" salad well at all in smaller places. Still only 2 lbs. damage is not bad.

DH is again making noises about shaping up - long story - so I'm taking him on a long walk tonite. Tomorrow nite I will encourage him to go again. I saw an ad for an interesting Bowflex combo stepper, treadmill, and elliptical on TV but I'm really hesitant to purchase anything like that (even used which is the way I'd have to go). DH has a history of using these things for 2-3 weeks and then tapering off. I have no need of one.

Good walking shoes (which I did buy him last spring) are a much cheaper alternative and he has used those. I just have to keep at him to turn off the TV and go walk instead.

I have major stress coming up this weekend but will eat on plan until then.

Dagmar :dizzy:

Mudpie
09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
About the swollen legs and feet, I am starting to wonder if the stuff I ingest is only one part of the equation, and if the other part is the hours & hours I spend on my job seated in front of my laptop, puzzling over analysts' writing. My new desk, an early 19th century butler's desk, would work just as well standing, so I may think about standing intervals. And also, now my feet dangle, because my chair is jacked up high to reach this work surface, so I need some kind of foot-rest underneath them.

There is a really good restorative yoga pose if your feet are swollen.

http://www.restorativeyogaposes.com/index.php/viparita-karani-legs-up-the-wall/

I love to do this after work for about 20 minutes.

Dagmar :yoga:

saef
09-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Dagmar, thanks for the reminder. You know, I learned this pose when I was taking yoga Upstate last fall. I also learned to do shoulder stands, a major triumph, as I could not do them at all a year ago. Now I know that I need to use it.

I'm back from a one-night treat to myself at a Hyatt in Connecticut. This place is where my company puts up visitors and employees from away. I have gotten some of the best sleep of my life in their atrium-facing rooms. They have a gorgeous gym, a breakfast buffet with plain oatmeal, custom-made omelets (mine was all whites, all veggies, no cheese) and yogurt & fruit, and some kind of pervasive scent throughout the place which smells like rosemary and something else I can't identify. All I did there was read a Hilary Mantel novel in bed and have a wonderful sleep, ate, then used the gym and swam. I will do this again sometime. I have no idea what my weight is, but I feel pretty good today now that I am back in the apartment. I'm roasting veggies for the week to come. I'll check on the scale tomorrow.

saef
09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Okay, so Dagmar, I tried the inversion pose just before going to bed last night, and was surprised at how well it worked.

And in the morning, an alternative explanation for all the fluid retention in my legs: Yes, I got my period again, after skipping it for four months.

alinnell
09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Suffice it to say that the food choices I made this weekend were horrible and I'm paying the price for it this morning. I still have not begun to tally it all up but I know it's not going to look good.

saef
09-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Allison, I didn't even dare a weigh-in today, since I felt so unhappy and low-spirited and seeing that I had my period was enough to tell me it wasn't going to be good.

So you're not alone in your temporary scale-shirking.

bargoo
09-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I did weigh but wasn't happy with the results.

traveling michele
09-04-2012, 10:24 AM
My weight was actually down a bit today-- 124 from 125.2 yesterday. Considering all of the exercise and sweating I did, I'm not surprised.

But I did look back at my journal where I track my weight. I was wondering the last time I was under 120 which is where I prefer to be. One day in May I was 119 and then almost all of April I was under. Not since. So.... I'm trying to evaluate why that is. Dd graduated in June and we had lots of events leading up to that and a lot of travel this summer. I also quit working for Weight Watchers in May. Hmmmm.... maybe not as diligent? I had been (mostly) staying under 120 for at least a year or two so this bump up is relatively recent but seems to have "stuck". I have to decide if I care enough to try to shake it up as that probably means less food for me. I'm already getting tons of exercise so that isn't the issue.

alinnell
09-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I went back and figured calories as best as possible. It's a lot worse than I expected so the figure on the scale is right. ((sigh)) Three day weekends where we 1) go out to dinner, 2) have friends over for dinner, 3) go out for lunch (everyday) and 4) go to a holiday barbeque DO not bide well for dieting. I don't even think that keeping it at 1200 a day for the rest of the week will get me under 12,000 for the week.

ICUwishing
09-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Allison, I don't think I'm going to make it either. I ate some stuff over the weekend that I don't even know how to start tallying. 149.5 as a result. I think what I'm going to do is wipe the slate clean, and target 1500 per day through Friday ... and press the reset button on the 12000 on Saturday morning.

saef, perhaps the next one will be six months out? Good to know that there's a tool in the yoga box for swollen legs - I bookmarked the link. Thanks, Dagmar!

michele, your situation is the one that scares me. You and saef work so hard and are so strong ... if life were fair, you should be able to eat like teenagers. I wonder sometimes if I resist adding in significant exercise because then cutting calories won't work - it's twisted logic, I know. Maybe stress is playing a big part for you?

traveling michele
09-04-2012, 04:12 PM
michele, your situation is the one that scares me. You and saef work so hard and are so strong ... if life were fair, you should be able to eat like teenagers. I wonder sometimes if I resist adding in significant exercise because then cutting calories won't work - it's twisted logic, I know. Maybe stress is playing a big part for you?

But it is partially vanity for me. I could weigh 135 and be a perfectly healthy BMI. That was my original goal but since I was able to go lower, I've wanted to stay at that lower weight. I didn't exercise much for the beginning of my weight loss journey-- the first 25 pounds or so. I do exercise most days but I do what I enjoy-- many days it is a dance class-- so I don't consider it too awful.

Yes, it would be nice to eat whatever I want without gaining. Sadly that isn't the reality and never has been for me. I was a heavy child, a heavy teenager and a heavy adult. I'm bound and determined not to be heavy again.

Shannon in ATL
09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Michele - I stayed in the same range you are in for a while and I loved it, then I added some muscle weight, so I was able to be as high as 132 and still be in my size 4 clothes and look slim. Where I am now isn't a happy place. I know I've slacked off on exercise the last few months, but my diet hasn't been horribly different. I'm pretty down on myself over it.

Saef - that inversion pose is wonderful. Glad you enjoyed your hotel break! That sounds lovely.

Allison - my three day weekend was hard, too.

Dagmar - welcome back!

Andrea - I struggle with the 'eat this, not that' but do pretty well with only eating half and boxing up the rest for home. I don't feel as cheated that way.

:wave: to everyone else!

Weight up this morning - forgot to weigh, I can just feel it.

alinnell
09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Sheesh...

-3158.4 Saturday
-1847.8 Sunday
-1512.9 Monday
=5480.9 (which equates to about 1300 per day for the rest of the week.)

ICUwishing
09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
michele, thanks for the clarification. I don't begrudge anyone their "vanity" - there is a lot of joy and confidence that comes from being the best you you can be. Vanity for yourself is different than perfecting an image to show other people (IMO), as there's no way to "win" with the latter. It's like every other venue - there will always be somebody smarter, faster, prettier, thinner, funnier, stronger ... yadayadayada. :)

shannon, humans are omnivores. We can get by on lots of different types of food. Some fuel the machine more cleanly than others. Don't beat yourself up - things are cyclical and this pendulum will swing back too.

148.5; the weekend is firmly in the rearview mirror. I only hit 858 calories yesterday. Sometimes after a few days of dietary debauchery, I just don't feel like chewing any more. Yesterday was that day.

saef
09-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes, I did weigh in this morning. I'm up to 149, which I hated to see but accepted with some grace, as some of that is clearly fluid retention due to hormones at work. (That would be a great sign to stick by my desk at work, BTW: Caution: Hormones at Work.) My ankles were a bit less puffy last night. I need to make time for the yoga inversion pose before bedtime as I can see that it does me good.

WardHog
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi y'all! Anyone remember me?

I am stepping out of lurkdom because I have been a bad maintainer. I went to my 30th high school reunion in June and then *bam* gained 10 pounds in the span of about a month.

I am ready to recommit to my SEC diet (stop. eating. crap.) and would love to join you guys again. :-)

ps - We adopted a dog since I was here last. Is this the thread where I can talk about her, or is that the general chat? :lol:

eta - When I posted that I saw that my ticker says I weigh 129! Uh, yes, it has been a while ...

alinnell
09-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Hi y'all! Anyone remember me?

I am stepping out of lurkdom because I have been a bad maintainer. I went to my 30th high school reunion in June and then *bam* gained 10 pounds in the span of about a month.

I am ready to recommit to my SEC diet (stop. eating. crap.) and would love to join you guys again. :-)

ps - We adopted a dog since I was here last. Is this the thread where I can talk about her, or is that the general chat? :lol:

eta - When I posted that I saw that my ticker says I weigh 129! Uh, yes, it has been a while ...

Of course we remember you!! (And we're friends on FB!)

Sorry you had to join us here, but hey, it happens to the best of us, right? I swear I thought you were a lot younger than I am, but I just had my 30th last summer! Maybe it's because your kids are younger than mine.

bargoo
09-05-2012, 03:22 PM
WardHog, Welcome back ! I would love to hear all about your dog come on over to Maintainers Weekly chat and tell us all.

ICUwishing
09-05-2012, 03:26 PM
WardHog!!! Wanna play Words with Friends? ;) Glad to see you outside of FB - I've mothballed my account in favor of other fun stuff, temporarily. Welcome back to the battle! We're *trying* to contain the pet stuff over on the weekly chat - some days it works better than others! :lol:

traveling michele
09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Glad to see you too WardHog. I know you've still been working out.... thanks to Four Square. I'm loving Four Square. Anyone else like it?

WardHog
09-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I thought you FB people might remember me. :wink: Allison, most people our age do have older kids than mine. My daughter just turned 10 (hello, hormones!) and my son is 8.

Becky, I have gotten much better at WWF. I am not saying that I could beat you or anything ...

Michele, yes, I am working out just about every day. I have been mayor of my gym for months. :lol: I have had to stop running because of a bad hip but I have started playing tennis again (after 30+ years) and also swimming once or twice a week. I am doing weight training a couple days a week and spinning about three times. Unfortunately I am living proof that you can't exercise away a bad diet. sigh.

Thanks for the welcomes and I am looking forward to catching up with everyone.

alinnell
09-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Wednesday = 1396.9

-3158.4 Saturday
-1847.8 Sunday
-1512.9 Monday
-1396.9 Tuesday
OMG! I'm a day off!! I need to recalulate. Oh, this isn't good!

Wait, subtract Saturday, wasn't that LAST week?

-1847.8 Sunday
-1512.9 Monday
-1396.9 Tuesday
-1396.9 Wednesday
= 7242.3

Oh, I'm so lost!

ICUwishing
09-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Arrived home to an empty house. Yup. I went about 250 calories over mark before I got it reined in. No scale change. I have the exact same situation tonight, and I am determined to take it in the other direction.

alinnell
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm throwing in the towel for accountability this week. I'll start fresh on Sunday. I don't know where I lost it, but a day is missing...

Anyway, starting out with a great breakfast--a huge pile of egg whites with just a little cheese on top.

bargoo
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I started out Sept 1 with a weight of 118.2 that lasted 2 days and now I am stuck on 120.2 , can't seem to get off it. I am going to rearrange my bedroom today, maybe that will take my mind off the eternal weight battle.

traveling michele
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
That's a good plan Allison. Don't throw in the towel on everything obviously but don't worry about the numbers for a few days. How is Misty doing?

I am going through such an emotional roller coaster. I'm trying to figure out why but it may not even be worth figuring it out. Am I trying to get used to being an empty nester? Maybe. Dh being gone sure makes for a quiet house-- thank goodness I have the dogs and cats for someone to talk to. Dd being homesick is hard. Very hard. I think she is contemplating changing religions so that is something dh and I will have to come to grips with if it happens. My older dd moved away briefly from religion as a teen so I know that is normal, but younger dd is actually moving towards it-- just not our religion! My dh is Catholic and I am Jewish but we have raised our girls with one religion-- Judaism-- they have been through religious school, had bat mitzvahs and volunteered in many ways. Older dd is now a religious school teacher. But younger dd is drawn toward Mormonism. I think it is something that I need to learn more about. I told her I'm happy to go to church with her when she is home to learn more. I'm just not sure if she is drawn to the actual religion or the morals and values that the members exemplify.

Regardless, I was in a horrible funk last night. I really felt despondent. I had a meeting after work so I didn't get to my regular exercise and had to drag myself to the gym after dinner which I don't like doing. I went for a body pump class (weight lifting) but there was a Zumba class going on when I got there. I snuck in and did the last 20 minutes of class. I literally could feel my bad mood lifting. It was amazing. Then I did body pump and left feeling great. I am an exercise convert! I just have to remember that feeling the next time I don't want to go.

traveling michele
09-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I started out Sept 1 with a weight of 118.2 that lasted 2 days and now I am stuck on 120.2 , can't seem to get off it. I am going to rearrange my bedroom today, maybe that will take my mind off the eternal weight battle.

I hear you Bargoo. I'm stuck in the 124's perpetually. Briefly I'll go up to 125 but I haven't seen 123 in a while. I'd really like to get back down again. Good luck with the bedroom rearranging.

bargoo
09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
[quote=traveling michele;4459618]I hear you Bargoo. I'm stuck in the 124's perpetually. Briefly I'll go up to 125 but I haven't seen 123 in a while. I'd really like to get back down again. Good luck with the bedroom rearranging/quote]

Michele, I think our goals are quite similar. I am not at a really bad weight for my height, and yes, there is a little bit of vanity in wanting to go lower but I only want to match my ticker or at least breathe hard on it. This is not an an unattainable goal, I don't think as I have done it before. A lower weight will not change my appearance or size of clothing, although I may be able to button my pants without inhaling., BUT it will do my ego a huge boost.
I started rearranging my bedroom and serendipity has taken over and I have come up with a better plan, I am at the point now that I must continue, right now I have the bed piled high with stuff and the bed is not quite in the right place.

alinnell
09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Vanity is essentially why I want to weigh 140. I'm a very comfortable size 8 whereas at 140 I can often squeeze into size 6. At 150 I have a little paunch in my tummy and jiggles here and there that are not there at 140.

Michele~having grown up in Utah I know quite a bit about the Mormon religion. If you have any questions, ask away (and if I don't know I have tons of FB friends who I can ask). Also, my in-laws were both raised as Mormons (and DH, but he left at a fairly early age). Either that or go see Book of Mormon! We have tickets in early November at the Pantages Theater.

Misty is getting along. I don't see much improvement, but at least she isn't worse. I was just getting ready to do a little research...

krampus
09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
I have never been below 123 ever and I think I would wear it well since I have such a small frame. I don't know how to put this delicately so I won't - I can still make a big "butt" with my front-fat if I squeeze it and that sort of grosses me out. Sometimes I think I just get more and more critical of myself the lighter and leaner I get. Still don't have to count calories, though - I can thank my age and my magic weight training metabolism boost for that.

michele - younger DD might just be trying different things on for size. It's nice to see you're supportive and interested in learning more, versus a lot of parents' knee-jerk reactions to their kids not turning out like them. Part of the reason I don't know if I can have my own children is the pain of them leaving the nest...

bargoo
09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
I have never been below 123 ever and I think I would wear it well since I have such a small frame. I don't know how to put this delicately so I won't - I can still make a big "butt" with my front-fat if I squeeze it and that sort of grosses me out. Sometimes I think I just get more and more critical of myself the lighter and leaner I get. Still don't have to count calories, though - I can thank my age and my magic weight training metabolism boost for that.

michele - younger DD might just be trying different things on for size. It's nice to see you're supportive and interested in learning more, versus a lot of parents' knee-jerk reactions to their kids not turning out like them. Part of the reason I don't know if I can have my own children is the pain of them leaving the nest...

But Krampus, after they leave the nest there is the possibility of grandchildren. a joy of a special kind. Some of my very best memories are of grandparents, I hope my two grandchidren feel the same way.

ICUwishing
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Had a big-girl dinner. It was my first time roasting green beans - pretty darn yummy! I think I've atoned for last night's debacle, which was something like a 5-year old loose in an amusement park food court with a $20.

alinnell
09-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I love roasted beans!!! I try to have them at least once a month if not more. DD likes roasted broccoli. I like the taste but can't stand the smell they leave in the house.

traveling michele
09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
But Krampus, after they leave the nest there is the possibility of grandchildren. a joy of a special kind. Some of my very best memories are of grandparents, I hope my two grandchidren feel the same way.

I can't wait to be a grandma! Well-- I can wait of course-- but I'm looking forward to it. My dh's grandparents were amazing--- they were the sweetest married couple-- married 72 years before she died and he quickly followed. I would love to be like them when I'm older-- treasuring my family and grandchildren and remembering all of the special times.

Mudpie
09-07-2012, 05:44 AM
I ate sugar with a teaspoon straight out of the sugar bowl last night (I was standing up so does that count as exercise? :lol3:). My father is returning Sunday night (probably in a soiled diaper and incoherent).

I rather suspect that there is a connection between these two events in my life.

Dagmar :tired: :stress:

saef
09-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Already I am making a late start for the gym, out of tiredness and an attraction to my laptop. Michele, I know how strange it feels to have to head to the gym at a time outside of one's routine.

I am not as teary as I felt this past Tuesday. My weight is down nearly two pounds this morning, as my time of month abates. Last night, I picked up one month's worth of antidepressants from the pharmacy. As I said, I know it takes a while for them to build up in one's system & go into effect -- still, I popped one into my mouth as soon as I got out into the street outside the CVS drugstore.

WardHog
09-07-2012, 07:23 AM
I weighed myself this morning. ppffftttt! That's all I have to say about that. I am off to play tennis. I will try not to hit anyone with a ball. ;)

ICUwishing
09-07-2012, 08:15 AM
ward, happy smacking! Tennis is an awesome game - wish I were fast enough on land to play it. :D

Allison - agree with you completely on the smell of broccoli. In any cooked form. Reminds me of when the dog ate roadkill and had intestinal difficulties. I eat it - DS and DH looooove it and it's good for me, but I do not enjoy it. Roasted mushrooms, on the other hand, :drool: Brussels sprouts are on the horizon and I think I'm learning to like those. DH roasts them and then tosses them with a bit of maple/red pepper glaze and some toasted pine nuts.

dagmar - :hug: Sugar? Really? You must be stressed - that isn't you at all! ;) Take care of yourself first and foremost. It sounds like you will need your strength and full faculties. I hope your vacation charged your batteries to full capacity!

saef - good to hear you are emerging from the darkness! May your chemistry balance in time to revel in the glorious fall season, and that TOM will not darken your door for many more months, if at all. I do envy you that!

michele - I have terrific memories of my grandparents too. I am very fortunate to still have two grandmas alive and in superior health in their 90's. I have nothing to offer on the religious front, sorry, but I am inspired by your experience with exercise lifting your black mood!

bargoo - you've kicked butt on that gain from the end of last year, and you're holding the line on that loss. Admirable accomplishment!

krampus - every day I remind myself that DS is unique, and that my job is to teach him HOW to think instead of WHAT to think. I honestly did not enjoy having an infant in the house; I get the most pleasure out of watching him gaining the skills he needs to be self-sufficient. When he moves out, I'll miss his incredible sense of humor the most, I think.

I'm Allison's mirror yet again - 150 is a little paunch and jiggles for me, too. I can't remember 140. DH says I was around 135 when we married - I remember being quite thin looking sideways (26-inch waist). My 140 is loosely based on being safely in the middle of the normal weight range. And being far enough away from 150 to not have to listen to that "clunk" of the big weight on the doctor's scale. On good days, I can look at myself naked in the mirror and think, "not bad for 45". I succeeded with putting 150 in the rear view mirror for Labor Day; my goal for this chunk of 500 posts is to build up my level of swimming fitness to the point where I can enter some meets and get some baseline times.

On grandkids, I'm in no rush. I guess I'm still too busy screwing up the kid I've got! His latest thought is that he wants to be a forest ranger so he doesn't have to deal with people. :lol: Of course, that was after DH had him working in the garden for an hour, moving part of a woodpile, sweeping the garage, and grilling a chicken. :D

Shannon in ATL
09-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Wow - I can't vision getting my 7 year old through school in one piece, much less grandkids.... My parents had me when they were just new 20, my grandparents (mom's parents) were 20 when they had my mom, my great grandmother was early 20's when she had my grandmother. As a result I had a great grandmother until I was out of college and still have my grandparents on mom's side at 80 years old, my mom will be 60, I am 40. And my stepson is 7. Shouldn't I have a 20 year old now? LOL

Saef - I'm glad you got your prescription, I've been thinking about you this week and hoping things settled down.

I feel pretty good diet wise this morning, had a light calorie day yesterday. Am going to try for another one today. Burned 2910 calories yesterday per my Body Media Fit, I like that.

:wave: to everyone else - I'll be back after coffee.

traveling michele
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow - I can't vision getting my 7 year old through school in one piece, much less grandkids.... My parents had me when they were just new 20, my grandparents (mom's parents) were 20 when they had my mom, my great grandmother was early 20's when she had my grandmother. As a result I had a great grandmother until I was out of college and still have my grandparents on mom's side at 80 years old, my mom will be 60, I am 40. And my stepson is 7. Shouldn't I have a 20 year old now? LOL

It is very hard for me to contemplate in fact.
My parents had me later in life (they were 40 and 41) and I'm an only child. I never met three of my grandparents, and my grandma died when I was 19.

I got married at 20 and had my girls at 23 and 27, so now that I'm 45 I have a 21 year old and a 17 year old. I can't imagine having a 5 year old like my mom would have had at this point. My best friend from high school had a surprise baby a couple of years ago so she is my age with a 2 year old. Dh's parents were much younger than my parents so they are still alive and kicking in their early 70s-- it saddens me to think that my girls barely remember my parents as their grandparents and the only memories they have of them is of elderly and sickly-- my mom died in 2000 and my dad in 2007.

I'm glad I had my girls early in life, but I can't imagine my 21 year old being married or having kids at this point!

traveling michele
09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
TGIF by the way.
I'm bound and determined to get unstuck from 124-- this weekend hopefully-- and hopefully in the right direction!

I signed up for a Zumba class tonight but I'm thinking I may do Bikram Yoga instead-- it seems to help flush out any of the extra water I'm holding onto. Tomorrow I am planning on doing a spin class (if I can get up early enough-- but if I post here maybe I'll be accountable) and then yoga in the afternoon. Sunday will be a challenge as I'm doing a practice tough mudder. It will be early and long.... and I'm scared.... not sure what to expect. I need to remember to take a before and after pic-- I was so dirty afterwards last time that it was comical. At the real tough mudder they have firemen (cute?) at the end to hose you off.

bargoo
09-08-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm still hanging out at 120.2. Can't seem to get off that weight, when I do lose a pound or two it lasts for a couple of days and I'm right back to the same old weight. Yeah, I know all about weight fluctuation, it's normal and all that, but I don't have to like it.

WardHog
09-08-2012, 11:44 AM
I walked to the gym, did back to back spin classes, and walked home. That should do it, no?

kittycat40
09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi Chicks!
Following along... I wept for 30min on the night before school. My babies are growing up. Their little bodies are changing into not so little bodies. I could eat them up, I am suffused with love for them.

So, yeah, I'm already thinking about grandchildren also ;) No Joke.

Made it thru first week and way more challenging, first weekend of the new school year.

And, my scale is pleasing me! But likely, will not tomorrow. I made ribs. And ate lots of extremely rich and lovely meat. Lots.

Going to search for some non stinky running clothes, getting ready for tomorrow.

Saef, how're the meds?
Becky, how're the windows, doors and bunnies :)
Ward, and your muscles? Go girl.
Shan, focus on one hour at a time. That's what I do.
Bargoo, I bet you are awesome with those grandbabies.
Dagmar, BTDT, chick :)
Michele, your daughter? better?
Allison, one out the door, 2 still home, right?

missing some peeps, hi all!
until the next time, ladies...

breathe in, breathe out.

bargoo
09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Kittycat, unfortunately granddaughter Faith lives about 120 miles away and grandson Brian lives about 450 miles away.
I am still hanging in there waiting for my whoosh, I'm ready for it any day, now.

alinnell
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Kittycat~nope, one out, one in and he'll be out next year.

I had a decent weekend. Weight still up, but back on track for a possible real loss this week. I'll keep you informed.

ICUwishing
09-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm at 150.0 this morning - I know full well why, and I will fix it promptly. I spent a little too much time this weekend "off the rails".

kitty - I'm working from home today while the "tech measure" is done for ordering the materials on our job. Bunnies seem to be happy and settled in; the outdoor bunny is still very skittish.:) Hear ya on the kids being not-so-small; DS13 is rapidly approaching eye-level with me. :eek:

traveling michele
09-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Kittycat-- somewhat better though she is still contemplating changing schools and religions. Sigh.

I thought I was going to be able to change my ticker, but no. 123 Saturday and Sunday. No off plan meals (none!), tons of exercise both Saturday and Sunday and today-- 124 again. Oh well.

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Kitty - one hour at a time is about all I have right now. :)

WardHog
09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I made it through the week-end on plan. So far my scale does not recognize my efforts, but it will in time.

I went for a swim today (and I am sooo sleepy this afternoon) and I was reading the facility rules as I was walking out. Rule #2 says: Patrons entering the pool must wear a swimsuit. It made me laugh. :dizzy:

Full speed ahead, everyone!

ICUwishing
09-11-2012, 10:49 AM
148.5 this morning, drifting back down. Seeing the 150.0 on Monday scared me straight again, I guess - I want to get far away enough from that number that "blips" don't go that high. I'm in a mucky mood, for no particular reason except an accumulation of tiny reasons. The biggest one is that DH (the other meaning of DH) is freely spending time and money that is in pretty short supply right now, and letting his share of the everyday stuff fall on me while he indulges in every concert he wants to hear, every golf outing that comes along, and every retirement party or night in the bar that he can justify. I'm having feelings of being drained, trapped, paralyzed, and invisible. There is only one path out of this kind of mood, and that's exerting enough energy to DO. SOMETHING. Heck, ANYTHING. I think I will take my attitude out on the backyard thistles. It's fairly far down the priority list, but it is satisfying to make an open spot where there hasn't been one. Poor weeds!

bargoo
09-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Becky, hack the h*** out of those weeds, then go find something fun to do, just for you.

Shannon in ATL
09-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Becky, I have a weight bag in my garage for moments like that. Hack away, honey. Then maybe have a pedicure. ;)

WardHog
09-11-2012, 04:55 PM
I was on my way into spin today when I noticed The Hunger Games was in the cardio cinema and it was about to start. I read the book a while ago and wanted to see it so I skipped spin and spent 2 hours, 20 minutes doing cardio instead. :D Enjoyed the movie.

Becky, when you finish with your weeds can you come and fight with mine? My yard is out of control.

Shannon in ATL
09-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Ward - that's a way to get your cardio in! :) Oh, thanks for the nice comment on my running last week. I saw it and then never replied to it. :)

Mudpie
09-12-2012, 05:30 AM
Came home early from the hospital (details in chat thread) to find DH entering the house with a bag of chocolate chip cookies and a box of crackers.

Yeah, we ate them. I am so tired and not looking forward to the battle that's already begun with my dad that I used both those as an excuse to binge eat.

Then DH told me he wants to make up a list of what he'll be eating and start his diet "seriously" next Monday. He wants to "discuss" this on Saturday.

Great! He is finally taking control over what he eats. If this involves separate food shopping and dinner prep so be it. But he HAS TO CLEAN UP after himself after dinner. Not leave everything for me to do the next morning.

And I'm hoping we can still sit together and chat while we are having our respective dinners (I suspect DH will try something like macrobiotic and that doesn't work for my body) since we will now have 2 dinner times and separate food.

I am going to be very calm and open about all of this but the clean up rule is going to be priority.

Dagmar :tired: :faint:

saef
09-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Ward, what is the cardio cinema? Are the machines inside a dedicated screening room, or is it an option on your machine? My gym has the little individual TV screens on the cardio machines, but it's just a handful of Cablevision channels. Would there be a cardio cinema channel? Also, I am wondering whether it would be the case, as with music, that action-packed films where s&^%$t blows up would be more motivating than humorous & poignant & slower-moving summer chick flicks starring Meryl Streep.

Dagmar, one thing I have learned from my own binge-eating history is: Never **eat at** anyone. It resolves nothing. It's one of the questions I ask myself when my jaws start working: Who is this aggression really aimed at? If a name immediately comes to mind, I stop, put down the food & back away slowly.

Becky, I weighed in at 148.5, so we're exactly the same weight. Two ships that pass in the night. Only I'm 4.5 inches shorter than you. Some of my weight is swollen muscles, as I'm still sore two days later from a ruthlessly efficient Monday night circuit training class. Again, I keep dropping abruptly into chairs rather than lowering myself down in the usual way, because my quads and hamstrings are stiff.

This weather is amazing, so clear, bright & crisp. I was actually cold in my apartment yesterday & had to put on socks and a light sweater. Every time I ate a MacIntosh cold from the fridge or drank cold water, I shivered hard afterward. Soon I'll resume my weekly soup-making. Usually I start off the soup-making season with escarole and beans, as I find it amusing to drop lettuce into boiling liquid.

traveling michele
09-12-2012, 10:22 AM
My weight is still going up as I had more grapes yesterday. They're gone now and hopefully I've learned my lesson (yet again).

Yesterday evening was cruddy. I had a short conversation with dd and it left me so disheartened. She is so miserable at college and was taking it out on me-- just super cranky. She later texted me that she had a migraine due to the weird weather there-- they are having monsoons. So I'm sure that had something to do with it. I'm trying to send her little things in the mail and apparently I send the wrong things. I keep asking her what she needs and she snaps NOTHING. So, I was a little out of sorts. Then it was a comedy of errors when I finally decided to head upstairs and get ready for bed. I went up and turned on my bedroom light-- poof-- the bulb burned out. Five minutes later I went back upstairs and my cat was having poo issues on my bedspread. I can't even remember what occurred after that but it started getting comical.

I'm hoping Wednesday shapes up better. I've packed less food for work-- while I pack healthy things I think I'm eating too much. Planning on bikram yoga tonight to sweat out some water and stress-- hoping the combination will start the scale moving in the other direction.

ICUwishing
09-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Ward, if I ever get my yard back under control, I will make the trip to Atlanta to tackle yours. :) Please, don't hold your breath - we haven't done a thing to our yard outside the vegetable garden this year! Even DH's flowerbed is merely a mess of self-seeded individuals. There are some rowdy snapdragons, a few renegade cherry tomatoes, and some leftover biennial herbs. I should take a picture of the thistle in front of my house. We have let it be, because it's one of the spreading types. Kid you not, the sucker is almost 3 1/2 feet in diameter. It's so awful it's kind of cool, and now we just want to see how big it will get before frost kills it off (if it does). It's very symmetrical and a beautiful specimen of its type. :lol3: If I put out a dignified copper identification tag, does that make it okay?

dagmar, yes, stand firm on the cleanup! I hope that DH's renewed interest lasts a while and that you two can find some common dietary ground. Cooking together can be enjoyable. Don't let the exhaustion do you in!

saef, we may be close in weight, but I have no doubt at all that you are stronger, more flexible, and more healthy than I am, which is so much more important!

michele - good grief, I'm glad you were able to laugh instead of scream! I'm not sure I could forgive a cat for defiling my bed. The retaliation would get me jailed for sure.

I only had 15 minutes with my thistles last night, but it did really help. I filled about half of a 55-gallon trash bag, and cleared maybe a 6x6 area. As far as I know, there are no obstacles in the way of getting to the pool tonight, which also is improving my outook. And the 147.5/148.0 on the scale didn't hurt either. :D

traveling michele
09-12-2012, 10:59 AM
michele - good grief, I'm glad you were able to laugh instead of scream! I'm not sure I could forgive a cat for defiling my bed. The retaliation would get me jailed for sure.

He didn't do it on purpose. He had obviously just visited the litterbox and didn't wipe properly. Therefore that was happening on my bed. He has tummy issues and dh has to cook a chicken concoction for him-- he can't have regular kitty food. The good and the bad result from that is my kitties aren't very regular (they rarely go) but they sometimes have some constipation when they do. TMI I know!:o

WardHog
09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
saef, the cardio cinema is a big, dark room with ellipticals, treadmills and stationary bikes with a big movie screen in the front. They show a movie on continuous loop for a few days, then change to a new one. Usually they pick "action" films, which don't appeal to me that much but it's a good change of pace sometimes.

Michele, my DD is 10 and miserable in 5th grade ("soooo much work ... I'm soooo behind ...). Today is picture day and she wanted her hair curly for the photo. So last night I put her hair in foam rollers and she slept in them. Before I even got up this morning I could hear her crying hysterically because IT IS TOO CURLY AND IT LOOKS STUPID! I talked her down and offered to wet her hair to get the curl out, but no, she decided to go off to school with the curls after all. I know in her case a lot of it is a hormonal shift, but she is still making me crazy.

Shannon, no worries. I know you have been a little stressed.

Sorry about last night, Dagmar. :hug:

traveling michele
09-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I want a cardio cinema!
That is such a cool idea!!! Do you just plug in your headphones to the equipment so you can hear?

WardHog
09-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I want a cardio cinema!
That is such a cool idea!!! Do you just plug in your headphones to the equipment so you can hear?

Nope, it's just super loud in there, just like at the theater.

Shannon in ATL
09-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Deep breath in, deep breath out. Repeat. Don't stress eat.

JohnKY
09-12-2012, 11:37 PM
CardioCinema? That sounds awesome! All we have in the region that even approaches that is the Movie Tavern where you can apparently drink and eat dinner while watching a film.

Always oriented any exercise equipment at home towards a TV or monitor to stave off boredom. Once mounted a monitor and keyboard on a treadmill. Mixed results there. Always thought there was gold in the concept of integrating networked video games with treadmills or elipticals to where you'd have a gym full of people playing the same game and having to work hard for achievements. Surely somebody's done that by now.

Shannon in ATL
09-13-2012, 12:21 AM
John - the networked games on treadmill is a fantastic idea.

Mudpie
09-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Just a quick check in. I am not eating to beat myself up. I'm eating to comfort myself and to try to de-stress and to give me some small kind of energy to deal with the avalanche of stuff pouring over me.

Until my father is actually in the short-term care facility and I know he can't go back to his house I will deal in whatever way I can. Most of that will be overeating, rather than drinking alcohol. I might do a bit of crying too.

I will deal with the damage to myself all this is causing after I get through the worst of it. Right now job one is to get my father out of that house permanently. Than I will go back to trying to get control of all the other stuff.

Dagmar :tired: :tired: :tired:

neurodoc
09-13-2012, 09:40 AM
THIS: "Deep breath in, deep breath out. Repeat. Don't stress eat."

Indeed. Wish I'd seen that before I overate last night. I've been doing so well lately - was even ready to drop my "current" weight by 2 pounds on 3FC but then came last night.

I had repeat surgery last Friday (the bladder suspension I had last Nov. didn't work, and it was redone). And when I woke up from anesthesia, I had immediate pain in my left hip and thigh. It hasn't gotten any better, and when I went to see the surgeon, she agreed that we should take a look with an MRI. Anyway, the stress of being in pain, not knowing what is going on, and not being able to move around enough even to take a walk finally got to me. It didn't help that DH brought home a take-out dinner (burritos) and then accidentally ate 1/3 of mine instead of his before he realized it. I then felt totally deprived and proceeded to binge for the next hour (the usual suspects- peanut butter, cereal, dried fruit and dark chocolate). UGH.

Must. Do. Better. I'm aiming for =<1200 calories/day until I can start exercising again. It's hard to eat so little, though I'm so sedentary right now that I also have little appetite.

traveling michele
09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Hugs to Andrea and Dagmar!! No stress eating.

I must remember the same.
I did something dumb at work inadvertently and it is causing an avalanche. I send automated overdue notices for library books every Wednesday at three. I usually send them once books are three weeks overdue so by the time I send them out, the books are really late. I had set the notices up the end of last year to go to ALL books that were checked out because I needed to get the books back before school ended. I forgot I had done that and EVERYONE that checked books out this week so far (oh probably 500 students) got overdue notices yesterday at 3 pm. I logged on to check my work email at 3:30 and was barraged with emails-- some parents were confused, some apologetic and some downright irate. I have probably answered 150 emails and I'm dreading this morning as I'm afraid some parents may show up in person to vent. If they looked closely at the note it says ZERO books overdue and the correct due dates are listed, but most just see the OVERDUE notice at the top and freak. Really people? I don't have access to the emails to send another note explaining the mistake unless they email me first, so I had to send an email to all staff in case the parents ask the teachers. I hope my principal is understanding about it. Dumb technology sometimes!!

But I won't stress eat. My weight was back to my ticker today so I need to keep it going in the right direction.

bargoo
09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Michele sorry about the mishap at work. These things do happen so easily and are so hard to explain and some people will get obnoxious about it, I hope for your sake that most will be understanding.
Good news about the ticker weight , you can be proud about that.

ICUwishing
09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
andrea - wishing you a speedy and accurate diagnosis for something that can be fixed quickly.

dagmar - methinks your strategy is good, as long as the move is a matter of weeks and not months. No matter what, and however long it goes, you can fix it after this is out of the way. Big :hug: !

michele - I think people today are on the lookout for things they can be enraged about. I'd get as far as the "ZERO" and delete the message without another thought. It's not worth overeating, for sure. Any parents that come in to rant about something this trivial must have incredibly out-of-control lives, and I would have a hard time feeling (and probably expressing) anything but pity for them. :D This is why I do not work in the public sector - I simply do not like "the public".

JohnKY, I think you are looking at a potential financial-security-for-life idea there! I do believe that I could be persuaded to enter a gym for that. It would harness the competitive spirit and add that element of not wanting to let the team down ... major fun!

The flicker between 147.5 and 148 of yesterday is today's steady 147.5. The rebalancing of tensions in my back has thrown something else out of whack; something's pinched and very, very angry about it. I do believe a visit to the chiropractor tonight is required. Ow.

alinnell
09-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Is this turning into the confession thread? I'll add. Last night, probably due to a little stress after finding out that my cat Louie has been spraying in my son's closet, I rooted around the liquor cabinet and found a bottle of ouzo and had not one, but two shots while watching TV. I didn't need it and obviously I'm paying for it with a bit of a headache this morning.

On a better note, the new dog made it through the night without coughing! Of course she woke up and started hacking as soon as she heard my alarm, and she coughed up more phlegm than I'd like to see, but I think her getting through the night is a big step forward in conquering her pneumonia.

After getting on the scale this morning (151) it finally hit me--I'm "that" close to my red line (145)! So I made it my goal for the month of September: I will get to my red line by the end of the month.

So far my calories for the week are in check (not counting the ouzo) and I should end up with a balance left over, but I think I may reduce the 12,000 to either 11,000 or possibly 10,000 a week for the next two weeks.

bargoo
09-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Allison,I suppose the Ouzo was a better choice than strangling the cat. Good luck on the weight loss plans.

traveling michele
09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Allison-- it's a good thing I don't drink or I might have hit the bottle last night too. Uggh on the cat spraying-- that is not a nice issue. Glad Misty is getting better though.

ICUwishing (Becky? I never remember)-- I like your idea of 7 day averages-- you just weigh daily and do a 7 day average? That might not drive me as crazy and then I can watch more true ups and downs.

WardHog
09-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I like your idea, JohnKY.

We are always singing along in spin class; gym mgmt has threatened to do karaoke spin. Wouldn't that be fun? :D

Shannon in ATL
09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Michelle - I've been trying the 7 day averages for the last couple of weeks. It does make things look better, but I'm not doing a good job planning the totals in advance.

Mudpie
09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
My dad picked the hard death today. He's signing out of hospital tomorrow and going back to "his" house. And they wanted ME to drive him - :rofl:!

I am going to drop his suitcase full of stinky laundry off in his front hall tonite. Whenever he calls me and demands I help him I'm going to remind him he lives "independently" and should call someone else for help.

I am ridding myself of this poisonous person once and for all. I have had enough. I thought I could soldier on and make nice for however long he has left but :barf: and f*^k that!

And yes I'm going to be binge eating tonite. DH presents his "diet" tomorrow http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFit_for _Life&ei=PU9SUIrMMKXv0gHQ6IEQ&usg=AFQjCNENhcIomelXDf4t8bg5nEfTbRHXdg and we will both rein it in. I think this diet is a bit faddy and will work my plan around it but at least DH has a plan now.

Dagmar :mad:

BillBlueEyes
09-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Sending my best thoughts to support you, Dagmar. It obviously isn't easy now and doesn't look like it's getting any better.

May some rational thought fall upon his head.

bargoo
09-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Dagmar, Don't know what to say about your dad, just do what you think is best.
Now, the diet sounds very complicated but might just be what will click with him.
Good luck all the way around.

alinnell
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
I was happy with the scale results this morning. Back to 150. Five to go for red line. I'm well within my 12,000 for the week with today and tomorrow to go--I think I have 4000 left! Hoping to have 2000ish left over after tomorrow.

bargoo
09-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I was happy with the scale results this morning. Back to 150. Five to go for red line. I'm well within my 12,000 for the week with today and tomorrow to go--I think I have 4000 left! Hoping to have 2000ish left over after tomorrow.
Good news ! The red line is in sight.

saef
09-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I had trouble getting out of bed this morning because I was so sore from Pilates class yesterday, in which we held weighted 9-lb bars while doing our floor exercises. So I was not surprised by the scale reading. I'm up now just over 149, close to your reading, Alison. Flipping back over my calendar I'm saddened to see that I've gained seven pounds since the beginning of August, that is, during my full-time residency in my apartment. When my doctor weighs me in the coming week, as he does on every visit, he'll find I'm up six pounds since my last weigh-in at his office. He won't like that & I won't like that.

saef
09-15-2012, 06:58 AM
This is what being very sore from the previous day's workout can do: This morning, I found that I was about two pounds lower than yesterday morning. I'm pretty sure it had to do with my stiffness yesterday.

That's what I am learning from weighing more frequently: All the variables that can cause my weight to fluctuate from a half pound to as much as five pounds. One of the variables is apparently the previous day's workout. And while I think that the work & the sweat would burn off -- or rather, wring out -- pounds, it does not. It causes a slight gain initially.

Mudpie
09-15-2012, 07:09 AM
This is what DH and I came up with in about a week - our "baby"

http://dagmarpetsbf.com/

I know none of you have any business use for this so I felt comfortable posting it here (and in Chat). It showcases a lot of pets - my own, some from the past, and some currently on the bus. And it shows the first ever full length pics of me seen at 3FC.

Dagmar :D

alinnell
09-15-2012, 08:59 AM
saef~if I remember correctly, a big workout will cause temporary water retention in the muscles and there's where the temporary weight gain comes in. The key is the word temporary!

Heading out for an early morning game of golf. Let's see how much my game has suffered after more than two months of not playing! I hope to be off the course before we hit 90 degrees. It's currently 77 which is pretty cool!

bargoo
09-15-2012, 10:03 AM
I enjoyed your site, thanks for sharing.

ICUwishing
09-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Dagmar - love your site! You look very strong and "alpha" with those big dogs!

Allison, hope you have a great game! I got to try one of the high-tech drivers with a fat sweet spot a couple of weeks ago - holy cow, what a huge difference! Half my drives with it were well into the 200yd range. I think maybe it might be time for me to at least consider a new driver. The hybrid wedge was awfully nice, too. :)

saef, the month's gain should be taken in context with a whole lot of major upheavals. Stress had to play a big role. As your routine gets re-established, and you recapture your chemical equilibriums, the scale should reflect it. Hang in there!

After two visits to the chiropractor, I no longer feel like I have a sea urchin trapped between my ribs and shoulder blade, and am also getting the feeling back in my ring and little fingers on my right hand. It will be an interesting fall. I have NEVER had an issue with my right shoulder before; it has to be a result of the massage therapist loosening things up. I am prepared to endure it - I am convinced that this is the path back.

Lost .1 over the course of the week. I confess to not tracking at all; I needed a break and took one. Back to plan as of today.

traveling michele
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Love the website Dagmar! It looks quite professional!

losermom
09-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Dagmar, I don't post here often, but I wanted to let you know that I am impressed with and enjoyed your website.

Saef, I don't know the whole story that you've been dealing with this last year but I hope that you (and I) can be kind to yourself rather than stressing over the number on the scale. :hug:

sznn
09-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Nice site Dagmar!

...and great rates! Can you come a cat sit in Vancouver? or is that out of your area- haha

Mudpie
09-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Nice site Dagmar!

...and great rates! Can you come a cat sit in Vancouver? or is that out of your area- haha

That's a little bit more than a "couple of blocks" outside my service area. :D

Dagmar :cool:

alinnell
09-15-2012, 01:22 PM
It is a nice site, Dagmar!

My golf game--after two months off--was pretty bad. Drives were all over the place (toe one here, heel one there, off to the left!, off to the right!, a couple straight). Pitching and putting were pretty good, though. The course was in dubious condition. The greens were pretty nice but they STUNK! I don't know what chemicals they're using on them to make them such a funky green color (not natural--too vibrant) but it really smelled bad. Hopefully after they change out the grass (something they have to do every year here) it'll be in better shape.

Got a couple errands run on the way home and fun, fun, fun I get to tackle cleaning the boy's closet from where we've determined one cat has decided it's a good place to spray. Ugh.

alinnell
09-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Well, I just added up my calories for the week--anticipating what my daily total will be based on what I have planned for dinner. Just right about at 12,000. I must reduce this. Sure 12,000 did get me back to 150 (I think I was 153 a week ago, although some of it water retention), but in order to get DOWN to 145 by the end of the month, a bit more work is needed.

JohnKY
09-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I like your site Dagmar. I wish we had someone local to us that provided such a service. We live way out in the boonies. The privacy and natural beauty are hard to beat, but it's mighty isolated. It's difficult to find anyone we trust to care for our animals when we have to be away.

It just so happens that our eldest, a 13 yr old GSD, is named Dagmar.

Mudpie
09-16-2012, 06:23 AM
I like your site Dagmar. I wish we had someone local to us that provided such a service. We live way out in the boonies. The privacy and natural beauty are hard to beat, but it's mighty isolated. It's difficult to find anyone we trust to care for our animals when we have to be away.

It just so happens that our eldest, a 13 yr old GSD, is named Dagmar.

"Dagmar" is a very common name in Germany (and Denmark) so your GSD is well-named. And 13 years old - that's awesome for that breed.

I am kinda tired and fraught with anxiety so when I first read your post my brain did one of those weird things. I thought you were referring to a 13-year old child - couldn't figure out what GSD meant in terms of that. Then it dawned on me that you were referring to a pet - :o - and German Sheperd Dog.

ICUwishing
09-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Allison, you gotta do what you gotta do! Me, it's the kiss of death to try to hit an "x pounds by x date" goal, so I'm going to continue to muddle slowwwwwly downward. I will :cheer: for you!

I am looking forward to a new week. Last week was kind of a bust with the shoulder/back mess. Pain is a relatively rare thing in my life, thank goodness, so I'm not good at working around it.

traveling michele
09-16-2012, 12:15 PM
I updated my ticker to look at 7 day weight averages-- I'm going to see how that works for me. I've been 122.8 the past two mornings so I'm hoping not to mess that up which is what I usually do! Dh returned from Europe last night so I need to try not to celebrate with food!

6 days until my tough mudder. Oy.

WardHog
09-16-2012, 12:51 PM
grumble, grumble. My gym has some sort of electrical problem that's causing half of the building not to have power. Yesterday the spin instructor pulled her car around back and hooked her iPod up to the speakers so we could have class, but today and tomorrow the classes are cancelled. Most of the cardio machines are working and they had the back doors open for light so theoretically I could work out on the floor, but there is also no A/C in the gym. So, bottom line, I bailed on my weights workout today with no plan for tomorrow and I feel like I will turn into a blob soon if this keeps up. I DO NOT like having my routines disrupted! :mad:

Good job on the website, Dagmar! and hello to everyone else!

JohnKY
09-16-2012, 11:07 PM
"Dagmar" is a very common name in Germany (and Denmark) so your GSD is well-named. And 13 years old - that's awesome for that breed.

I hope your situation improves soon. Dealing with family issues like that is beyond stressful.

Yes, Daggy is getting up there. She's really slowed down in these last couple years. Having some trouble getting up and down but still seems to be enjoying herself. Our other two, Kazak and Branca run rings around her. Those two often hike with us. Dagmar wants to, but can't do the distances these days.

ICUwishing
09-17-2012, 08:39 AM
michele - I'm sure you can find a non-food way to celebrate DH coming home. ;) Maybe even burn a few calories!

ward, I hope they get you up and running again shortly! My issue is having a routine in the other direction - the "body at rest remains at rest". :D I need a big kick in the fanny!

It was a good weekend to inspire me to get back on a tighter track. It's not that I'm doing damage - but my forward/downward progress has lately been imperceptible. I'm not ready to stay at this level. It *seems* like 147-148 could be a future red-line, but to know that, I have to get below it!

:wave: to all!

saef
09-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Up .3 pounds from Friday morning, so the weekend wasn't so damaging after all. I was wondering what meal from the Whole Foods salad bar might do, as I took a decent amount of tofu. (Speaking of which, why can't I get my tofu cooked at home to the same toothsome, chewy texture as theirs?)

I find myself especially ravenous this morning and am trying not to give into the urge to get another handful of dry-roasted almonds. Raw plain almonds are fine, but something about the texture and crunch of the dry-roasted ones makes me want to eat one after another.

alinnell
09-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Up slightly from the weekend. I'm certain most of it was from extra carbs. I made calzones for dinner on Saturday and we had burgers last night. I should have had mine without the bun, but it was so good. Homemade is so much better than anything you can buy (for the most part).

On track though, for a good week.

bargoo
09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I am down , I hate to give a figure because it seems when I do I jinx myself and regain it and wait a long time for a whoosh.I did go to a tea on Saturday and I did eat a little of everything including creampuffs , they were bite size so I guess that helped, I did eat more than one, though. I will wait a few days to see if this loss is going to last.

traveling michele
09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
My downward trend is up slightly this morning so I'm hoping to put a halt on it before it goes back up again. I was going to change my ticker but I think I'll wait and look at the seven day average and use that for my ticker.

Shannon in ATL
09-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Saef - I've asked that question about tofu dozens of times. A friend and I have both tried to cook it and ours always come out wet and squishy. I have no idea what they do at places like Whole Foods. Maybe they pat it and drain it?

Michele - welcome home to DH!

High five on the down today, Bargoo! Woo!

I did well this weekend, better than I have on a weekend in a while. I ran a 15k yesterday and feel pretty good. My clothes fit well today, though my fingers and feet are still bloated. Meh.

alinnell
09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
As for the tofu--what are you starting with? I almost always get the firmest available (don't know if it's called firm or what) and I never have a problem with it being soft and squishy.

saef
09-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I go through a whole multistep process with tofu. I buy extra firm, packed in water, and I freeze it. I then thaw it and press it to drain it. When it's well drained, I marinate it and then bake it. And it's not like Whole Foods' tofu.

Recently, at the end of the draining process, I tried frying it in a dry pan with not a hint or a lick of oil. That tanned it lightly. It gave it a good texture. Still, it wasn't like Whole Foods' tofu. That stuff has a dense, substantial mouth feel. After eating, I really feel like I've had something to eat. It felt energy-dense. I think I could control portions at home better if I were able to duplicate that texture because it's more satisfying.

4 keeps
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi, everyone! I've been reading your forum for months now, and finally decided to join. I'm scared of failing, so I had planned to just gain inspiration from everyone anonymously. I'm finding that as I get closer to my goal weight I fizzle out and throw in the towel, though. It's almost as if it's too good to be true, and I do not think I'm capable of actually reaching my goal weight. I self sabotage after working for weeks to lose a half pound, so I know this is where I need to be to stay focused and remain accountable. :)

alinnell
09-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Welcome 4keeps!!!! And you're right--this IS the place to be to help stay focused. (Weight loss really is a mind game, isn't it?)

bargoo
09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Welcome 4keeps and good luck. We learn from each other and share with each other.

Mudpie
09-18-2012, 06:28 AM
:wave: 4keeps!

Dagmar

saef
09-18-2012, 08:01 AM
4keeps, glad to meet you. And look at your statistics! Nothing is going to stop you. Just take your time. Breathe. And come here to share when you feel like you just can't go any further.

ICUwishing
09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
4keeps - hi! :wave: Looking forward to hearing more of your story!

Yesterday was a very good day. No food struggles, no cravings, and despite the weird Monday hours (choir transport - dinner not until 7:30), all was fine. I had just enough time at the end of the night to relax and savor a nice glass of Shiraz, and then off to bed for a satisfactory 7.5 hours of sleep. The scale reads 3.5 pounds lower today than yesterday. :bubbles:

bargoo
09-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Becky, congratulations on the 3.5 drop.

Shannon in ATL
09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Welcome 4keeps! Great to have you around. :)

:high: Becky!

traveling michele
09-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Welcome 4keeps!

Wow! Becky! That's quite a drop. Why are some of your weights in red? I'm thinking the 7 day averages might be a good idea for me because I'm up almost 3 pounds from yesterday. Ugh. Body Pump and I'm sore so hopefully that's most of it but it sure plays with my mind.

krampus
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Welcome 4keeps!!!!

Saw this on Facebook from one of my former students in Japan. Bless them.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408539_294700847312517_576542411_n.jpg

alinnell
09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Wow, Becky! 3.5 pounds! And I was happy with my .5!

Shannon in ATL
09-18-2012, 12:40 PM
They've moved DH's uncle from in home hospice care to a facility, or are moving him right now. My eating and exercise is going to be pretty off track this week, I'm going to have to survive it and deal with it later.

ICUwishing
09-18-2012, 12:44 PM
bargoo, allison, michele, shannon - thanks, but it was a bounce-back to 147.5 from a weekend spike. We had several meals out, plus Saturday was a "tap takeover" - I downed something on the order of 115 oz of beer (over 11 hours). Lotzzzz of bloat! It wasn't a "real" gain, and this wasn't a "real" loss either. I only posted it because I think that's the most I've ever lost in 24 hours. :D

michele, a couple of my averages are in red because they are increases over the prior week. Blips and spikes in daily weight are expected, but with a 7-day average, I'm a little tougher on myself if it goes up. I make it red so that it reminds me to keep my commitments! Today's drop, for instance, is going to be cancelled out by the two days of upticks that got me to that point, so I have this week's 4 remaining days to tell the true story about whether this week is a loss week. I really don't care if it only goes down by .1 pound per week - this experiment has no timeline. My target weekly calorie intake is 12000, which is what my LoseIt app tells me is the maintenance calorie level for someone my height at 140 pounds (where I'd like to get, I think). By the numbers, I should be losing around 1/2 pound per week, supposedly. This is the absolute easiest way that I can think of to not suffer while losing, and since mid-July, I can truly say that I'm eating in a way that I can see myself doing for the next 50 years. I'm eating like the person I want to be - fake it til you make it. Incomplete project is to develop the habit of exercising like the person I want to be! :lol:

4 keeps
09-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks, everyone, for welcoming me!! I feel accountable and ready to tackle these last, miserably hard to lose, pounds. I wonder what it will feel like to reach my final goal. I'll likely be so afraid of regaining I won't know how to enjoy it. I know I need to simply enjoy how far I've come, and stop beating myself up that I haven't ARRIVED yet. I want to enjoy today, and not be so focused on what I have left to obtain that I miss out on all I already get to do with a healthier lifestyle. God has blessed me so much on this journey, and I don't want to lose sight of that. It's easy for me to get down on myself, and I need to slow down, enjoy each day, and just breath.

Sorry...that went from a simple THANKS, to a pep talk to myself. :o Ok...goodnight, everyone, and enjoy maintaining! :D

bargoo
09-19-2012, 08:40 AM
4 keeps. pep talks are permitted and are encouraged . I might just steal your pep talk and substitute my name in place of yours. Thanks !

BillBlueEyes
09-19-2012, 10:18 AM
I need to slow down, enjoy each day, and just breath

^^^ That's the part I need. ^^^

I'm with bargoo, Yay for Pep Talks.

saef
09-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes, 4keeps, I never heard anyone in this forum or on this site in general ever objecting to a pep talk. If the spirit moves within you, stand up and say it.

I am down nearly a pound from two days ago. I am still not understanding cause-and-effect here. Probably if I were a calorie counter it would make more sense, but I practice the closest thing to intuitive eating that I can conceive of, given my circumstances.

traveling michele
09-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Ugghhhhh.... I'm sick I think. 3 days from the tough mudder and I feel lousy. It might be severe allergies but I'm not sure. Sore throat, headache, stuffed nose, lethargy. Any miracle cures that will work by Saturday for me? Thinking I should rest today and not exercise? But then I thought my planned bikram yoga might sweat stuff out? I'll see how I feel later. My weight is up still so that may be tied with my yuck. No time to be sick. I've got 8 kindergarten classes and 2 others to deal with today.

alinnell
09-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Hope you're not sick Michele. My DS got a cold the first week of school and is now dealing with a plugged up ear which is bugging him a lot. He thinks it's wax buildup (which he's had before) but I think it's due to his head cold which is mostly gone. I'll call the doctor and get him an appointment for after school Friday.

My weight is continuing it's downward move but not quite in the 140's yet. Usually I hit that at about Friday but I'm hoping for tomorrow so that by Friday I see 148. Don't know if I'll hit red line by the end of the month, but even if it is as low as 147 I'll be more than happy.

ICUwishing
09-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Aw, Michele! Sorry to hear you're not up to snuff. Well, my regimen is not for everyone, but here's my fix. For a sore throat, heat up some good old plain chicken broth, and load 'er up with cayenne pepper. The capsaicin in the pepper will reduce the pain, and the steam from the broth helps loosen everything up. I also take 1000 mg of Vit C three times a day til I'm sure things are resolved. Finally, my other "home brew" is to peel and shave a 4 inch piece of ginger into a saucepan, add about 12-16 oz of water, simmer it good for 7 minutes, strain out the ginger, add some honey and a dash of lemon juice, and drink up. Ginger is a very potent anti-inflammatory - it should be so strong that it tastes hot-spicy.

When all else fails, I grab the Nyquil. Truth be told, I have not had a cold in the three years since supplementing Vitamin D at 5000IU from September through May ... nor flu or any other illness. :chin:

bargoo
09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Michele I hope you are feeling better, when you are going to Tahoe think of me as you pass the exit to Davis, not exactly sure but am thinking you will be on the freeway , 80 maybe. I just moved here a year ago and when I go to Sacramento I am always amused when I see the exits for Reno and Lake Tahoe, I feel like I am on vacation, not true of couse.
Good luck with the Tough Mudder.

WardHog
09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I hope you are feeling better in time for the race, Michele!

Welcome, 4 keeps! You look fab in your avatar picture!

Thinking of you, Shannon and Dagmar. :hug:

My scale is not giving me any love, but someone asked me today if I have lost weight. I'll take it.

traveling michele
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks Bargoo-- I'll wave going by! Even though I've lived in CA now for 7 years, I really don't know my way around. And geography has never been my strong suit. Dh asked me to find a restaurant along the drive tomorrow for dinner so I found an italian place about 2 hours away (half way)-- he wanted pasta and veggies-- so hopefully it will be a good stop.

I also just signed up for a half-marathon. It benefits our school district and is a big fundraiser here. I did the 5K once years ago but I've never done a half-marathon. However, several teachers/staff members are signing up-- some are planning on just walking-- so I figure I can walk/jog depending on how I feel. It is the Sunday before my book fair starts on the Monday so it may be crazy timing, but so be it. I can promote the book fair as I'm running by the parents and kids!

ICUwishing
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
michele - a half-marathon, wow! I still think I'd rather swim the mileage than try to run it. At least there's four limbs involved to share the work, plus gravity is less of a factor. :D Best wishes for a successful Tough Mudder - the pictures I've seen make it look like hard work and a LOT of fun!

ward, having someone notice is muchhhh better than random scale attacks!

allison, yay for the continuing downward trend!

I'm hangin' at 147.5. I really need to focus on the right things this weekend. It looks like the guys are going hunting, which leaves me alone in the house (bad thing, historically). I have a detailed yet not paralyzing to-do list that should help. My hall bathroom is scheduled for drywalling late next week, so I have a lot on my plate - figuratively only! ;)

Mudpie
09-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Hard to decide where to post. But the title of this thread is "facing fall fearlessly" and I have been doing the opposite. I threw my maintenance routine out the window for over 2 weeks and wound myself into a frenzy over what my father is trying to do. My fear and anxiety have overwhelmed me since Sept. 9 - when he arrived back.

There are other people now trying to stop him. If his stubbornness wins and he goes home to die there's not much I can do. Well I can change the locks but that is still socially unacceptable. DH has schooled me in "optics" and I can't go that far.

Sure feel like it though. Dying at home is just more gasoline on the fire of what my father does to me. He could co-operate and give me a break for once in our relationship. But he won't - combat to the literal end.

As with DH's diet I cannot influence anything my dad does - much. I can only limit my contact with him to relieve all the stress it causes me to even be in the same room with him.

I have to now start getting myself in hand and going about MY business. That starts with getting back on track with diet and exercise. Then starting to really market for more business so I can again pay the bills and have a bit left over for small pleasures.

I am picking up my life again.

bargoo
09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Dagmar. if you know the serenity prayer say it several times a day . In case you don't know it , here it is.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

ICUwishing
09-21-2012, 09:48 AM
dagmar, :hug: Sorry you're having to deal with an emotional vampire. At least you're aware of it. Keep putting your peace first - it seems clear that you've tried to make this better and tried to offer up the best ways to deal with it, to no avail. As you've said, your role has ended.

Average is up for the week, although the last four days were good, they couldn't overcome last weekend. Maybe I have reached the maintenance level for the lifestyle I am living. It's time to find another incremental change. :p I need to go from sloth to turtle mode. At least the turtle has a second gear. :D

traveling michele
09-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I love Bargoo's idea of saying the serenity prayer Saef. I think I'll start saying it as well. I hope you find peace and tranquility no matter what your dad's last days are. You said he has cancer? Is his cancer a type that will limit his days so you have an idea as to how much longer he'll be around?

I'm still not feeling great. My weight is up. Tough Mudder is tomorrow and I leave today after work. Sigh.

Dh went to the knee specialist this week to find out more about his torn ACL. Apparently his knee has many issues besides the torn ACL. He will need a partial or total knee replacement in the next few years. In the meantime, the doc told him to do whatever he's comfortable doing so I guess he can't hurt it more. He will be going in soon to get some sort of shot (not a steroid but something else) that will hopefully relieve some of the pain, but it has to be approved my insurance before it's scheduled.

alinnell
09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
So sorry Dagmar. I wish there was something I could do or say that would help ease your emotional pain.

I'm confident my week's calorie totals will come in closer to 10,000 than 12,000 and for that I am happy. My shorts feel a lot looser than usual although there is no discernible change in weight.

saef
09-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Dagmar, I understand probably about half your burden of your father dying of cancer, but not the rest, which is your painful relationship with him. I wish you the best. As I said, this will be life-changing. Hang in there. It will be like gripping something slippery through a storm. Just breathing and existing will take all your energy. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that, when it's over, you will still be here, even if your father isn't.

As for me, I think I need to true up my ticker with my life. My scale said 147.1 this morning. My doctor's office scale said 149. The doctor said, in that simultaneously noncommittal and incredibly judgmental tone: "Hmmm. You've gained a little weight since your last visit."

Yeah, something like six pounds.

I am working on it.

bargoo
09-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Started the week last Sunday at 116.8 this morning I was 116.4 and have been all week except for Monday when I weighed 115.6 , that lasted 24 hours, but all in all I am pretty happy with my weight this week.

ICUwishing
09-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Michele - can't wait to hear how your Tough Mudder went/is going! Hope the head fog cleared in time!

saef, I think anybody who went through your past year deserves recognition, not judgmental tones. You're still 100 pounds down - a mind-boggling achievement that never left your mind or habits despite what life threw at you. Good grief. In my nasty moments, one of which is right now, I would love for your doctor to walk in the shoes you wore this year, and to try to recover from it.

allison, looser is a great sign. For me, that always precedes a scale drop.

bargoo, thanks for reminding us about the serenity prayer/mantra. Perfect timing - I could use a big ole dose of wisdom right now myself. ;) Yay on the good week!

dagmar, I'd send you a big box of serenity if I knew how to pack it. Instead, should I just imagine a peaceful, swift passing for your dad?

TOM jumped me without warning yesterday, 4 days ahead of expectations. The silver lining was the 146.5 this morning, a number that needs to be a more frequent visitor for the next few weeks.

saef
09-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Becky, thanks for your kind words, which are only the truth, only I can't always see it clearly myself.

And you, woman: Be strong while you are alone in the house. Do not eat just because you're there with the food and no witnesses. And I will try to do the same myself, as I am on edge this weekend. Nothing really big. It's just the usual anxiety of having set myself a lot of small errands and tasks for the weekend, and worrying about getting them done. Sometimes the accumulated effect of all these gnat-like things flying around my face is enough to set me off.

bargoo
09-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Michele, I hope you are feeling better today , at least at the start of the Tough Mudder. Good luck !
Becky, congrats on the 146.5 today, good going !
Allison I know the feeling of looser shorts. Don't you love it ?
saef, I agree with Becky , you have gone through a year that would do in a lesser woman. You have shown great courage and determination much more than I would be able to summon up given the same circumstances.

alinnell
09-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Kind of proud of my week's calorie total: 10,339.3. My weight is below 150 (but just barely). Got out golfing today (for the last time for a while--they're about to "change" the grass on the course).

4 keeps
09-23-2012, 01:06 AM
I haven't posted in a couple of days, mainly because I've been so exhausted. I've kept up in reading everyone's posts, though, and have felt guilty for not encouraging everyone. I absolutely love what an encouraging forum this is. :)There may be weeks that I have something to offer, and will post regularly. Other times, please know I'm reading and cheering everyone on, but can't post. A little background on me might help...

I have had a few life changes this year, and I think my need for encouragement, and then solitude, are warring with each other. I should probably mention that I was in a car accident this past year, and am still struggling with depression and ptsd...riding in a car makes me feel very vulnerable. Or terrified, frozen, panicked, those explain it a bit better. So, two weeks ago I finally had to switch jobs, leaving a sweet girl with Down Syndrome I have worked with for six years. Deep sadness! The reason? I couldn't handle the long commute each way. I am happy with the new job I was blessed with...less days, less commute, but grieving the loss of what was my life. :(

I am healing from the accident, but have neck and back problems still. The depression makes it hard for me to want to exercise, but I know exercise definately helps. I'm doing well eating right, I just need to find the energy to put my shoes on and START exercising. I'm tired just thinking about it. Although I'm in pain, I'm excited that I'm maintaining, and slowly losing, the weight. The more I lose, the less my aching body has to carry around, and the better I feel about myself.

I'm sorry for rambling. I just wanted to explain that some weeks I may be an encouragement, while other times I'll just pray for you all and cheer you on silently.

Mudpie
09-23-2012, 05:47 AM
4keeps Congratulations for having the determination to lose weight, even in a year that sounds like it has had its share of trauma and sadness.

Just curious - do you see a chiropractor and/or do physio? I had a neck injury from a car accident and resisted treatment :dizzy: for 4 years - just bore the pain and thought it was "part of life". Then I finally, at DH's considerable and constant :rollpin: urging, went to physio. After 6 appointments and doing at home exercises targeting my problem it went away!

When I suffered a back spasm at the beginning of the summer I tried a chiropractor - didn't bother waiting 4 years this time :p. That helped immensely and I am now almost pain free.

bargoo
09-23-2012, 09:27 AM
4keeps, we welcome all comments whether they are encouraging to others or when you need encouragement. I understand about the trauma after a car accident, it can leave a lasting fear. It looks like you have made some positive steps to help in that area.

saef
09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
4keeps, I understand about trauma and lasting memories, and this I can tell you: Turning to lifting weights three times a week has really helped me, more psychologically even than physically. Making myself stronger, feeling in command of something, and feeling a little less vulnerable has been good for me. (Now if I could just deal with the heavier weight on the scale without feeling badly ...) I am not saying you should be doing anything you aren't physically capable of doing yet, but maybe the key to take away is: Do things that make you feel strong and competent. Whatever they may be. Part of my trauma is feeling not only loss, but also feeling small and helpless, overtaken by large events quite outside my control. When I feel more in control, I feel just plain better.

Everyone has to find their way through little baby steps, though.

Know that I will think of you and hope for small, good things for you each day, so you can get back to where you were before It Happened.

bargoo
09-23-2012, 03:47 PM
This morning my scale tells me I am a half a pound over my ticker figure. Glad of that of course, it has taken since the first of the year to get to this point. I do want to lose that last half of a pound , ego, you know. That is as low as I want to go, if I could go lower I suspect it would be really hard to maintain.
In addition to being able to button some pants that have been bugging me for awhile, I can button the jacket of my Calvin Klein suit, didn't try the pants but I think they should be OK. This has been a very good day.

Mudpie
09-24-2012, 05:34 AM
This morning my scale tells me I am a half a pound over my ticker figure. Glad of that of course, it has taken since the first of the year to get to this point. I do want to lose that last half of a pound , ego, you know. That is as low as I want to go, if I could go lower I suspect it would be really hard to maintain.
In addition to being able to button some pants that have been bugging me for awhile, I can button the jacket of my Calvin Klein suit, didn't try the pants but I think they should be OK. This has been a very good day.

Congrats bargoo!

Dagmar

ICUwishing
09-24-2012, 06:37 AM
bargoo! Woohoo! There's something about getting that key piece of clothing back into the front of the closet, isn't there? :)

4keeps, our community's well of support runs pretty deep. When you need, take - and when you can give, add. It's all good!

allison, that's a low calorie total, wow! You're all set up for a big whoosh, it looks like!

I found a really good leek potato soup recipe. Probably not classic diet food, but very satisfying even in smaller amounts. :p Well, the butter and cream were organic, the chicken stock was homemade, and the leeks, potato, onions, and thyme all came out of the garden. We unanimously agreed that a little bit of crumbled bacon for garnish would have taken it to the heights.

I flipped back through my calendar, and I am kicking off the week in a good spot. This is my lowest Monday weigh-in of 2012: 147. A "blipless" weekend! While it's a significant milestone, I have not forgotten that I do have to shoehorn in some time for swimming, for sanity's sake as well as health improvement. This IS the week. I mean it - even if it's only one trip, I am in the pool this week.

bargoo
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Becky, maybe September is a good month for dieters. it has taken all of 2012 to get to this point a total loss of 18.8 pounds , it goes sooooo slow. I think the main thing is persistance , do not give up , even though is seems like we are getting nowhere.
Closet shopping is great......I loved getting into my old shorts that I bought at Target just as much as my getting into my Calvin Klein suit.
Your soup sounds delish , Becky. I have been thinking soup lately, too. I have some ham hocks in my freezer, Navy Bean Soup here we come !!

saef
09-24-2012, 09:18 AM
While it's a significant milestone, I have not forgotten that I do have to shoehorn in some time for swimming, for sanity's sake as well as health improvement. This IS the week. I mean it - even if it's only one trip, I am in the pool this week.

Becky, from my own experience, I may know what's going on with you. You are holding yourself to a certain standard before you have even let yourself get wet. Don't. Having great expectations can be paralyzing. Go easier on yourself. Just get in that pool and splash around. Or at least, tell yourself that's all you need to do.

I'm thinking of a certain highly productive writer whose habit of writing a certain number of words daily, no matter what, impressed a lot of people. When he was asked what his secret was, he said: "It's simple. I lower my standards."

That would be my answer for anyone who thinks they can't maintain an exercise routine. Lower your standards. Maybe to the point where all you expect of yourself is getting suited up, into the sports bra and capris, or in your case, Becky, the swimsuit. Turn off your brain. And walk toward the gym or pool. Just let it happen. Be in the right place, in the right clothes. With absolutely zero expectations. And you will get it done.

saef
09-24-2012, 09:20 AM
And yes, I am wondering how Michele is doing, and whether she was able to go through with the Tough Mudder, since she wasn't well late last week. Or if she's lying somewhere in traction, with a bone broken or all her muscles aching. Or she's in a jubilant high and not able to sit down and find words to explain it yet.

bargoo
09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
I googled the Tahoe Tough Mudder, I went immediately and took a nap, just from reading about it . It isn't just Tough , it is TOUGH and it is for a good cause. I applaud Michelle for doing it. I hope she is able to stand upright today and is not crying in pain.

alinnell
09-24-2012, 09:33 AM
I saw the photos that Michele posted from tough Mudder, but I don't think she said how she did in it. Guess we'll have to wait for her!

I, too, am at a low Monday weight. Not entirely "blipless" for the weekend, but a half-pound blip is nothing! I'm happy where I'm starting.

traveling michele
09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm alive! I'm here! Busy at work-- but I'll post more later.

I did it! It was amazing! More to come....

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Becky, from my own experience, I may know what's going on with you. You are holding yourself to a certain standard before you have even let yourself get wet. Don't. Having great expectations can be paralyzing. Go easier on yourself. Just get in that pool and splash around. Or at least, tell yourself that's all you need to do.

I'm thinking of a certain highly productive writer whose habit of writing a certain number of words daily, no matter what, impressed a lot of people. When he was asked what his secret was, he said: "It's simple. I lower my standards."

That would be my answer for anyone who thinks they can't maintain an exercise routine. Lower your standards. Maybe to the point where all you expect of yourself is getting suited up, into the sports bra and capris, or in your case, Becky, the swimsuit. Turn off your brain. And walk toward the gym or pool. Just let it happen. Be in the right place, in the right clothes. With absolutely zero expectations. And you will get it done.

I love this today, Saef. I have paralyzed myself lately with high and lofty goals, only to accomplish nothing. If I'm behind or don't have enough time or energy for perfect, I do nothing.

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm back. I haven't been fearless myself this fall, but I'm trying to get back that way. The last few weeks have been hard.

traveling michele
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
So the Tough Mudder was amazing! It was hard, long, tough, and fun! I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a challenge. They are done all over the world and they benefit the Wounded Warriors program.

We went up Friday after school and got stuck in bad traffic. We stopped for dinner along the way and got there about 8:30 pm. We had wanted to jog around to get used to the altitude (very high in Tahoe), but it was dark and no where that we could see to jog (plus we were wiped out). So, dh and I walked around the hotel for 20 minutes or so and prayed that we'd adjust to the altitude.

Saturday morning we woke up, ate at the hotel and went to the venue (Northstar Ski resort). I was nervous! And not feeling 100% but not too badly. We checked in, got numbers written on our foreheads and legs, bib numbers, etc., and got ready to start. It was very emotional as there were wounded warriors (soldiers with prosthetics) there participating, we sang the Star Spangled Banner, prayed, etc. and then we were off! There were 15,000 participants between the two days with the majority on Saturday, so we had staggered start times. We started about 10 am. There were a total of 20 obstacles plus lots of running in between (up hills, through rugged trails, rocky areas). Each obstacle was hard in its own way. Our goal (my team of 5) was to stick together and at least try each obstacle. That is what we did. Some obstacles I pretty much knew I wouldn't be able to do like the rings over the water-- I tried but was in the water pretty quickly. There were giant (12 foot?) walls to get over and because it isn't a race, people help each other. Luckily we had dh and one other guy in our group and they helped shove me up the wall until I could grab the top-- then I had to hoist myself over and supposedly gracefully land on the other side-- but I pretty much fell on my a** each time-- I am very bruised and scraped all over-- especially my butt! I am afraid of heights (though not so much anymore-- I'm TOUGH!) so some of the obstacles were a little intimidating for me-- one of the first was to climb up a wall and jump off into cold water and swim out. Some people were afraid of the water but I was afraid of jumping. But you just kept going and cheering each other on. Lots of muddy obstacles so we were wet and muddy like I couldn't imagine. There were two obstacles with electric shocks and I did get shocked. The shocks hurt! You can skip any obstacles if you want to but we didn't skip any. However, I think I would skip the electric shocks next time as I know there were MANY injuries. Many people got knocked down by the shock (or passed out) and hit their heads or other parts needing stitches!

Towards the end, one of our members went face first into the mud and got mud in her contacts. She was dying-- she finally ended up taking them out and abandoning them-- but then couldn't see well. One of our other members finished but then her ankle started hurting so bad she couldn't walk. So the medics took her to urgent care and she spent several hours there.

We all went to dinner after and reveled in our toughness. We are wearing our Tough Mudder shirts today and are ready for next year!

Our friend that was hurt couldn't drive home so I had to drive her and her car back, while my dh drove our car back. We are all quite sore but happy to have done it!

bargoo
09-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Congratulations, Michele. I googled Tough Mudder Tahoe and saw how tough it really is. It is for a good cause. I am proud of you for going the whole way !

JohnKY
09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow Michele. That sounds really challenging and fun. We have friends that are avid runners and do the "Dances with Dirt" events. My knees prevent me from running very fast for long. So I mostly stick to hiking. But if it wasn't a race, maybe I could hack it.

bargoo
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I have been at 113 pounds two days in a row, I don't hate it but am looking for the sweet spot. How do I stop losing and how do I not regain? Inquiring minds want to know.

traveling michele
09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Bargoo-- what do you think caused the sudden whoosh after you had been working so hard with slow results? If I were you I wouldn't worry unless you go below a number that you deem just too low.

I was almost too low at one point and I'd love to be closer to that spot again. It seems like a distant memory.

Today I'm getting a new hot water heater. Plus, plus, plus. Apparently everything was broken, not up to code, installed illegally, blah blah blah. Going to cost an arm and a leg. I'm just hoping he's almost done by the time I get home from work so I don't miss the gym again. I didn't go Sunday because it was after Tough Mudder, then I missed yesterday because the plumber was at the house plus I was still sore. No excuses today hopefully. I probably won't make tomorrow due to a dinner-- unless I can make it a quick trip before dinner-- so I want to make sure I go today.

alinnell
09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
So disappointed in the scale this morning--up half a pound despite being OP yesterday and getting in a little exercise. Going to have to ramp it up a bit today.

bargoo
09-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Mchele, I was at 114.8 just one day , next day and today 113, I just think it is part of the weight loss I have been trying for since Jan 1. I am not alarmed by it but as much as I want to lose excess weight at some time I want it to stop so I can relax and move on and not gain .
This is a problem dieters face all the time, I know there is no going back to eating as I did before which brought me to over 200 pounds.

ICUwishing
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Michele, congratulations! You are one tough chick, all right! Are you going to do another one? It sounds like a few of your teammates might not want to do it again in the very near future. :D I hear ya on having to bring things up to code - we fight that battle on darn near everything we touch in our house. A water heater is a good thing to spend money on getting right, though - the failure modes are often pretty spectacular.

bargoo, way to go on that whoosh. Agreed, you have earned it with your patience and persistence. Never having been "too low", I can't offer anything on how to stop a loss, beyond give it just a few more days and see if things level off. This might be where weekly averaging has a big advantage in that it's easier to see a trend when the daily ups and downs are factored out.

saef, you nailed me precisely. You are absolutely right - I have a problem with starting anything that might result in failure. I have left a lot of money on the table, figuratively, by waiting until "the perfect time". I need to modify Nike's logo to "just do ... SOMETHING!" :lol:

allison, scales do what scales do. Stay on plan!! The news could be completely different tomorrow. In my twisted little world, you teased the universe when you mentioned you wanted to get to a certain number by the end of the month. ;)

shannon, welcome back. I pledge to "not be perfect" this week, too. I made a little clip of saef's post and taped it to the pagefinder in my planner.

I was looking back since I started my 12K/week experiment in early July (after failing to hit a "4th of July" goal). I've lost 2.7 since then. Little number ... but this is working for me, in an understated, flying-below-the-radar sort of way. It's like I'm sneaking my way down. :D I'm getting curious about what the end of the year could look like, in spite of the holiday hurdles looming.

saef
09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Becky, whether you get in your exercise or not, you're doing really well with your little experiment. But I am such a zealous convert -- I've gone from a high school gym class klutz to someone who never misses her workout -- that I believe in moving one's body just for the sake of it, to keep it in working order. It's a view I've had to assume, since my own weight has nudged upward. And also I have had to think that way to combat the demons of the eating disorder, which would have me exercising to burn calories and to punish myself for binges. Some people swim just because it's a pleasurable, sensuous experience, and I can't say that for many things that are exercise-related. You could do that, too. Turn duty into pleasure with low expectations. Really. It's allowed.

Michele, I am in awe of your making it through the Tough Mudder but not one bit surprised. Though you worry about not getting in enough days of exercise, you are actually burning it hard. And if there is a Zombie Apocalypse, I want to meet up with you, as that would give me a better chance of survival, because you'd know how to climb over walls and crawl through mud with a knife clenched between your teeth, if we had to.

Shannon, I feel for you and your challenge of regaining your feet and some sense of mundane normal life after being with someone who was dying. After I witnessed my father's losing struggle, it tilted my perspective offbalance for several weeks afterward: "Ha! You call THIS important?" Probably I went back to work too soon afterward. There is a kind of re-entry that doubtless you're experiencing.

Allison, for all you know, you could have a half-pound of fiber working its way through your system (to be blunt about it), so I would not fret just yet. I reiterate the advice to stay on plan.

Bargoo, I need to borrow a cup of your dedication. And to remind myself any stress I'm experiencing just now is really small potatoes. See, Shannon is not the only one experiencing a kind of re-entry. I consider myself still re-entering my regular life.

traveling michele
09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Becky and Saef-- I totally want to do another tough mudder. I'm ready to sign up now. I didn't think I was that tough, but I do have the bruises to prove it. I know where my weaknesses were and I'm going to work on those-- primarily upper body strength-- while I do lift weights, I need to work a little differently to try to improve. Dh says he will do it again too so I'm ready to jump back in!

pageta
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I am going to follow saef's advice and lower my standards and actually post. I lurk from time to time and post occasionally, but I seldom seem to be in the "groove" enough to post. Today I'm posting anyway.

I weighed 157.8 this morning. I got down to 135 or so about 2 years ago and have gained 5 pounds every time I see my parents for a few days (otherwise I seem to be able to maintain whatever weight I'm at). My parents were here for here the week after Labor Day, and afterwards I weighed 162 something. My WW lifetime goal is 155, so I've been 2 pounds over for about six months (their last visit was in March). So the day that they left, I got an offer in my email from WW for a half price monthly pass and I bit.

I am now two weeks into this and at my weigh-in last weekend, I was up one pound (about ten pounds above my goal according to their scale). Now mind you, I had eaten and didn't shed any clothes before weighing in. I pay more attention to what the bathroom scale says, and it had returned down to the 157-159 I've been at for the last six months in that first week when I actually tracked what I ate and tried to stay on plan for all of about four days. Argh!

So I was tracking, and then my dh found out that a tooth that had been bothering him would have to be removed and replaced with an implant. Said tooth had already had two crowns and a root canal, but the root was fractured so it was time to give up. Our wonderful dental insurance will chip in $600 toward the procedure, leaving us with about $3600 to pay ourselves.

That happened on Thursday (the day I quit tracking). Then the next Monday, we took dh's truck in because it was leaking brake fluid. We found out that it needed rear brakes completely redone (the fluid had gotten on the pads, and the adjuster couldn't be tightened anymore). That was $400. Then we found out that the spring mounts were rusted out and needed to be replaced or the wheel would bust through the bed of the truck if dh hit a bump or tried to haul anything. That could be fixed for $600. Our mechanic said he would have to tow the truck back to us if we didn't fix the brakes, so we did. Now we're selling dh's truck and becoming a one-vehicle family because we don't want to fix the spring mounts. Ironically, his truck is worth about what his tooth is going to cost us, but we aren't selling the truck to pay for the tooth.

I am a WAHM with three kids, ages 9, 6 and 3, and we homeschool. DH has thought being a one-vehicle family would be a great way to save money, but the fact is, he would still go to work every day the same and nothing would really change for him. I only go to town on two days a week, but if I need the car, I have to spend an hour at the beg and again at the end of the day driving in crazy traffic in the craziest part of town to drop dh off and pick him up. Those extra four hours are going to come from what - sleep? exercise? work? household tasks? downtime? (what IS downtime anyway?) And since we homeschool, we are not accustomed to getting kids out of bed and into the car by a certain time. DH leaves at 7 and we generally start school at 9, so we are by no means ready to go anywhere at 7 in the morning. So I was completely stressed out about that.

So I was drinking chai tea every day - usually I don't drink caffeine every day but rather just when I need it, and I seemed to need it every day. But if I drink it every day, it loses its effectiveness and I am really grumpy. So not only was I stressed out, I had the caffeine grumpiness to go with it. And I didn't lose any weight.

I told myself I just needed to lose 4 pounds to get back to my WW goal (if I dress carefully and don't eat before I weigh in) and then I would be able to cancel the monthly pass and not have to pay $40 for another one. But I am now two weeks into this and have made NO PROGRESS whatsoever. I'm still stuck where I've been for the last six months.

I got off caffeine on Monday and Tuesday. This morning I feel very good (no headache or sluggishness) and am not feeling the urge to have any caffeine. And we have bananas again so I was able to have a banana with my oatmeal for breakfast (that seems to be my meal for success, and in WW, fruit is free). So that is good. It is much easier for me to stay OP when I am not grumpy and irritable.

The good news is that I made it through all that and didn't gain. But still, I haven't lost an ounce and I only have 2 weeks to get this done. I must confess, I am not ruling out drastic measures (though my version of "drastic measures" is probably quite innocent as I have never had the strength of character to be able to starve myself or binge and purge). If I can just weigh in under the line somehow, I will have another six weeks before I have to weigh in again, and in that time, I can get some cushion in there to get back to my WW goal. I'd really like to get back to 135, but right now I'm just worried about the WW goal.

My monthly pass expires on 10/9, and I am so tired of having these 2 pounds hanging over my head and not being able to go to meetings without paying.

So I by no means have my act together, but I am posting in hopes that participating rather than just lurking will help propel me to my goal.

bargoo
09-26-2012, 10:15 AM
pageta, you don't have to be in the "groove" to post, truth be told I am seldom in the"groove" but post anyway. It sounds like you are in the "life happens" stage right now, we have all been through some portion of that , one time or another. The one key element that I have found with successful dieting ,( for me ) is to be persistent , do not give up no matter what happens or what the scale says. I have had my share of disappointing weigh ins, right now my stats look good, but it was a long road getting there.
Keep posting ! Good luck with all the bumps in the road, you can do it !

alinnell
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
So I by no means have my act together, but I am posting in hopes that participating rather than just lurking will help propel me to my goal.

Here's to you! Let this be your therapy and get you down to your WW goal!!!

We all struggle (that's why we post here).

I had another good day OP yesterday. The scale showed it this morning. I think I can easily say I've "lost" 2 pounds. By that I mean that I didn't see the usual weekend "blip" up 2 pounds (just half a pound followed by another half yesterday but both those are gone now). The Monday that I can weigh in under 149 will be another success.

bargoo
09-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Pageta, re: the dental implant, I tlaked to my dentist about an implant and he said NO insurance covers implants. Just thought I would mention that.

traveling michele
09-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Hang in there Pagenta. I also lost my weight with WW, so I know all about the goals, paying vs non paying, etc. Are you going to meetings (and staying)? They really help me stay motivated when I need it and you're paying anyway. You can do it! Sorry for all of the monetary stress. We just replaced our hot water heater and had to do a bunch of other plumbing work with it-- to the tune of $2300. I had been saving to take a trip with dh. Guess we'll have hot water instead.

ICUwishing
09-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Pageta, the more stressful things get, the more important having a support structure is. There are days I've clung to this site for hours, re-reading the Goals forum and lurking in threads I've never visited. I've tried going to "the cave" and hiding from stress and the rest of the world; it's always resulted in gains. Life happens, getting to an unhealthy place doesn't have to be the result. Welcome aboard - hope to see more of you!

I'm pouting. I strategized yesterday to have DH coordinated to get DS to his voice lesson, so I could bolt for the pool and ... get wet (low standards, saef!). I tore home, grabbed the iPad to check the pool schedule, and discovered the pool was closed. :mad: Tonight, I have a 1 hour window, and then there won't be anything for the rest of this week. So, tonight will be the get-wet night - IF DH doesn't need me for helping with the wall/ceiling reinforcements in the bathroom that's being DRYWALLED TOMORROW!! :dance:

Shannon in ATL
09-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Pageta - I've been out of the groove so long that I've started making new grooves. :) And yes - no insurance covers implants because they are so new and expensive. (I manage insurance for my company.) One of my employees just spent $25k on implants, actually. His was very extensive though and required several implants and multiple surgical procedures.

I wrote a whole post yesterday and apparently never clicked post so it is all gone. I feel like I'm just barely keeping it together this week, I swear.

alinnell
09-26-2012, 02:20 PM
My best friend's son was on the 4th floor balcony, leaning over the railing on New Year's eve. Someone fired a gun from the 1st floor. He was shot in the jaw and lost most of his teeth. I can only imagine what those implants cost (as well as whatever else he needed). And yeah, that was bad, but instead of calling 911, he called his mom in another state!

Hugs Shannon. You're going through a lot.

Mudpie
09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
My best friend's son was on the 4th floor balcony, leaning over the railing on New Year's eve. Someone fired a gun from the 1st floor. He was shot in the jaw and lost most of his teeth. I can only imagine what those implants cost (as well as whatever else he needed). And yeah, that was bad, but instead of calling 911, he called his mom in another state!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dagmar :yikes:

JayEll
09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Pageta, are you sure the dentist isn't talking about a partial plate or a bridge? Implants are mucho expensivo... can cost as much as a car... Also take a long time to heal... And be sure that he goes to a dental surgeon who has training and experience in implants, if that's what it is. Sometimes dentists just take a weekend course and away they go...

bargoo
09-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Pageta, I would ask the dentist about a crown .

saef
09-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Pageta, I have absolutely no advice to offer regarding teeth, but I do know stress when I see it.

My advice is, that is a big load of worries. And that you need to let go of one of them. Yes, just let it go. Consider it a thing that can't be helped and be easier on yourself on that one, selected thing. Maybe it's your weight. I don't know. It doesn't mean it's irreparable or that you can't turn attention to it in a few weeks -- likely sooner than you think.

I find just giving up on certain things sometimes helps, at least if they come in multiples like a plague upon your house.

Shannon in ATL
09-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Allison - I am totally freaked out by the image of your friend's son getting shot in the jaw. Wow. How is he doing now?

Pageta - I just reread your post from yesterday, as I didn't absorb it all. :hug: to you, I bet you are stressed out. I agree with Saef above me - with everything else going on right now just try to be kind to yourself and let go of some of the stress if you can until the water smooths back out.

JohnKY
09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I only just got around to seeing about two baby teeth that have worn away to shells over their lives. The solution being pushed on me was implants. I had no idea there was so much of an investment of time, money and trauma involved. Think I'll have to go with a couple of bridges despite the likelihood of them not lasting as long.

Shannon in ATL
09-27-2012, 01:37 PM
John - single implants aren't as bad, but are still expensive. Probably close to $4k for one. They often have to transplant bone from other places into the jaw to support the implant post, especially if there has been trauma to the area like root canals or other dental work before. Once the post is planted it has to rest for a period of time before the appliance can be affixed to it as well, so you will likely have some time between post implantation and tooth attachment where there will be a gap. My employee was okay with it, when my mom had a large period of time with no front teeth she made them put in a temp bridge as a stop gap. I've never had any implants, but have one recommended that I've been avoiding.

alinnell
09-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Allison - I am totally freaked out by the image of your friend's son getting shot in the jaw. Wow. How is he doing now?

As far as I know, he's just fine. I don't know if he was even hospitalized. My friend, when telling the story, just kind of interjected "and then he was shot in the face" when she was explaining his story. He was a football player with U of Washington, the #1 something or other last year, but wasn't quite good enough to get into the NFL draft. He hired a manager to try and get him on a team, but nothing panned out "and then he got shot in the face" and now he's coaching high school football. That's kind of how I heard the whole thing, but then I had to ask a few more details.

Mudpie
09-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I wonder if, since implants seem to be the new "big thing" in dentistry, dentists are recommending them to get some practice installing them? Maybe good to ask for second and third opinions before springing for something that expensive?

neurodoc
09-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Thought I'd check in. And officially change my profile weight since I'm finally reliably back under my redline (yay).

Life's been challenging for the last few weeks. I had repeat surgery on Sept. 7th (same surgery as last year, which didn't take) and spent 2 weeks at home recovering. At the same time, my parents were in town (ostensibly to help me, but also requiring great amounts of attention and not a little stress), and the Jewish High Holy Days occurred, with all of the attendant planning, child care and eating (believe it or not, for a day of fasting, Yom Kippur usually involves a lot of calories before and after). Phew. Finally back to work and feeling better although I'm not allowed to exercise strenuously for another few weeks.

And speaking of exercise, there's this: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/is-30-minutes-of-daily-exercise-a-sweet-spot-for-weight-loss/

Saef, I especially thought of you when I read this article. Could it be that by pushing yourself as hard as you have, and eating intuitively, you are unconsciously compensating for all those calories you burn? If reducing daily exercise to 30 min. a day allows you to cut back on portions without causing you to feel like you're starving, you may end up ahead, calorie-wise.

Mudpie
09-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Interesting idea re moderate exercise vs hard. I can't change the amount of exercise I do - work is mostly my exercise and it is pretty constant. I found that, when I was trying to stay under 1500 cals per day, I was starving all the time and binge eating more often. When I upped that to 1800 the binge eating mostly stopped and I lost a bit of weight. Same sort of idea as the blog - moderation tends to produce better results.

And in the midst of all this drama with my father I have been under red line for 2 weeks. That hasn't happened in over a year. I think part of it is that I'm so stressed and exhausted in the evening I'm falling asleep before I get a chance to eat in front of the TV. Silver lining and all that . . .

Dagmar :tired:

pageta
09-28-2012, 08:34 AM
That article was very interesting. I walk for exercise during the warm months. I go for an hour at a moderate pace. Running messes up my knees, in addition to other problems. That's what I did for my exercise when I lost weight. But around here it's cold between October and April, and at some point during the winter I always quit. I've tried exercise videos but I just can't stand them. I like to push myself to whatever is the maximum I can do that day vs what other people are doing. I really like my walk because once I get out the door, I don't have to worry about motivation (aka staying on the treadmill) because I have a loop route and I just follow it until I'm done.

During the warm months I take my kids with me - the youngest in the stroller and the older two on bikes. When it's cold, I can't take the kids along so I have to go first thing in the morning. This morning it was 41 degrees when I left for my walk. I wasn't cold while I was out there. In fact, I shed a few layers once I got going. Then when I got back I took a hot shower. But then I was cold, just cold, cold, cold. I hate that. I drank some tea and seem to be fine now, but I remember being cold for what seemed like forever when I tried walking first thing in the morning. Later in the day, I simply don't have the energy (or opportunity).

So now we're facing winter again and I'm pondering what I'm going to do for exercise. I don't want to buy some kind of machine or join a gym. I have accumulated clothes that keep me warm - that was a challenge when I first lost weight. But I just dread winter because exercise becomes such a challenge. Maybe I'll just focus on 30 minutes of something, even if it's weight lifting and no cardio. Then during the warm months I'll do more cardio.

Again, I think I need to let my standards down a little. Do some form of exercise even if it isn't as much as I *think* I need.

saef
09-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Saef, I especially thought of you when I read this article. Could it be that by pushing yourself as hard as you have, and eating intuitively, you are unconsciously compensating for all those calories you burn? If reducing daily exercise to 30 min. a day allows you to cut back on portions without causing you to feel like you're starving, you may end up ahead, calorie-wise.

I read this also and wondered the same thing, Nuerodoc. After an hour with weights, and cardio, there is this ravenous hunger that comes on me a few hours later. It's real and impossible to ignore. I feed it with protein. I joke that I could tear a whole rotisserie chicken apart with my bare hands at those moments.

There are two complicating factors for me.

One is that I'm one of the "reduced obese." I was more than 100 pounds overweight for almost 20 years. Does that modify permanently one's metabolic workings, even after one has lost weight? I have seen reports elsewhere that reduced obese are a special case in some respects and have to put in (quite unfairly) twice the work in physical exercise to keep their weight down. I wish I had citations for you. I don't want to shift the onus from me and my current efforts onto my condition, but that may account for something here.

The other is that I may not mind the slight overweight as much as I used to because I don't think all of it represents fat. I've had some muscle gains. It's hard for me to see, looking at myself all the time as I do, but those who see me at the gym after my absence say it is visible in my back, shoulders and arms and the shape of my legs, and also a bit in my butt. The scale isn't saying anything about that. Also I find my aesthetic ideal has changed a little. I look at women whom once upon a time, I envied, and find them thin, yes, but weak-looking. And they labor visibly with weights in my circuit training class that I think are easy to handle. So my goal has been modified by all this exercise and exposure to heavy exercisers. The scale is really important to me but I waver back & forth over how I feel about it.

I may be sanguine today because I've got a nearly three-pound drop in weight from Wednesday. Almost surely this has to do with my snacks -- of which I've been deprived to some extent while not working from home -- and the timing of digestive and elimination workings, if you know what I mean.

ICUwishing
09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Flyby today. :wave:

I have had a whoosh - 1.6 down from last week. That gives me an average of about 1/3 of a pound per week, over the 12 weeks. Now, as always, the challenge is to maintain that loss. It seems to be working, so I'm not going to change anything up, food wise.

bargoo
09-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Becky, if it works don't fix it.
saef, I am a believer if the scale goes down, that is a good thing, doesn't matter why.

krampus
09-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I hope everyone is faring well. I am heavier than I want to be but also stronger and I am turning into one of those people who flexes in the mirror at the gym and LIKES it. I'm sorry for falling behind with personals but I have been following everyone.

My uncle had a psychotic episode and turned himself into the police, and was placed in a state psychiatric facility for six days. No one was surprised but I can't say we saw this coming either. He was present when his father committed suicide and did not try to stop him, so my dad thinks he has been suppressing strong feelings related to that for a while. I am glad the stigma of mental illness is becoming less and less - imagine a time when something like this would bring shame to a family and near damnation for the individual?! Now we are all just level-headedly hoping he can get the help he needs and no one is whispering.

traveling michele
09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh Krampus. That does sound hard. You are right about there being so much less stigma these days. I know the mental illness issues of many of my co-workers and friends, and years ago it would have been hidden.

I grew up in an abusive household with a mentally ill mother. I know that many of our neighbors and my friends parents had a good idea of what was going on. No one ever called CPS or did anything that I'm sure would have been done today.

And by the way, Krampus-- I'm so proud of you for stopping smoking. I'm glad you have been able to stick with it-- how long has it been?

krampus
09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks so much michele - 3 months but I still vape e-cigarettes at night most nights so I feel like I am "cheating" at quitting.

You have made what sounds like a great life for yourself coming out of a tough start - turning the other cheek to something you know is wrong is kind of the same as accepting or condoning it. Having a more open society raises some issues but I think overall it's leaps and bounds better than everyone being hush-hush and pretending problems don't exist.

Mudpie
09-28-2012, 04:59 PM
krampusI hope they can help your uncle and I'm glad he was able to recognize his problem and act on it positively.

Mental illness is a really hard thing to overcome. Most people don't regard or admit that certain things - depression for instance - are mental illness for fear of being stigmatized. This can mean being denied a job, housing, tuition, etc.

It is getting easier these days to recover from and admit to having a mental illness. My cousin's wife's twin sister had major major depression for several years. She was tried on at least 70 different types of meds before finding the combo that worked for her. She was out of work for those years but was able, thanks in part to strong advocacy from her family, to find a good job after recovering.

In the past she probably would have wound up in a facility or even out on the streets.

Dagmar

pageta
09-29-2012, 09:31 AM
I think it's great that society is kinder to those with mental illness. I've been treated for depression a couple times, but it is mild enough that I've figured out how to treat it on my own, which I might not have been able to do were it not something people were willing to talk about. I hope your uncle recovers now that he's been able to address the issue, krampus.

Well, the scale has held steady for me all week - 157.8, 157.6, 157.4, 157.6...but this morning I checked in at WW and "lost" 6.6 pounds since I checked in last Saturday. Granted, I did take off my sweater and my shoes before weighing in, and I hadn't eaten breakfast yet. But it is always nice to have some encouragement, especially when the scale at home has stalled out. I need to lose 1.6 pounds before next Saturday in order to not have to pay for a full-price monthly pass. I've been good for four days now, and it's the weekend when I use my extra points so I have a respite. The plan is to get back OP Monday and do so all week. I've found that using my extra points on the weekends is just as important as staying OP during the week. Hopefully that strategy still works and I can loose those 1.6 pounds before next Saturday. I was wearing jeans this morning, so I have room for losing a little there. But with fluctuations and everything I won't rest easy until I drop 4 pounds on my bathroom scale at home. My work is still cut out for me, and once I accomplish this goal, it will be on to the next.

In other news, dh answered a trivia question about his favorite sports team on the radio yesterday and won tickets to a tailgate party today. I was hoping he would take a friend so I wouldn't have to stare at food for three hours. My thought was that they could go to the tailgating party and then watch the game at a bar (he doesn't have tickets to the game). But it's a night game and he didn't want to have to fight his way through traffic after the game at 11 p.m. on a Saturday night, for which I don't blame him. So I found someone to watch the kids and I will be going with him. I have no idea what they will be serving, other than beer. It's the Miller Lite tailgate party, right next to the stadium. Don't laugh - I am taking my knitting so I have something to do with my hands besides stuff my mouth. I don't care if I look weird - I'd rather have bad looks for knitting at a tailgate party than bad looks for the fat that is rolling over the top of my jeans. Just sayin'...

bargoo
09-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Good luck with the Tailgate Party. Sounds like fun but calories will be rampant, I am sure.

alinnell
09-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Well, shoot. Came in right at about 12,000 for the week. I did kind of splurge yesterday. Since DS was away for the day, DH and I went to our favorite little French cafe for lunch. I had the "usual" seafood crepe with a small side salad. And a glass of wine.

And then I made the most amazing soup for dinner. I carefully figured in all the calories in the ingredients and decided that it served 8 instead of 6 so each serving was about 300 calories. Probably rather high in fat, but it was super yummy. Spinach Artichoke Soup (http://www.chasingsomebluesky.blogspot.com/2012/09/spinach-artichoke-soup.html)

alinnell
09-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I survived.

We were invited to a meet & greet for a candidate for city council. Walked in the door to a dining room table loaded with petit fours, mini eclairs and cream puffs, huge cookies, fudge, bowls of M&M plain and peanut. I ate two M&M peanut ONLY and had a couple glasses of ice water. I survived!

traveling michele
09-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I survived.

We were invited to a meet & greet for a candidate for city council. Walked in the door to a dining room table loaded with petit fours, mini eclairs and cream puffs, huge cookies, fudge, bowls of M&M plain and peanut. I ate two M&M peanut ONLY and had a couple glasses of ice water. I survived!

Peanut m&m's used to be a food group for me. I can't even eat one now as I don't trust myself. :o good job!:carrot:

WardHog
10-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Wow, I am impressed! I probably would have had to turn around and go right back home.

I have done something bad to my shoulder. I am going to try to swim today - either it will make it feel better or I won't be able to do it. If it's not significantly better in the next couple of days I will have to have it looked at. :(

4 keeps
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi, everyone. I just finished reading and catching up on everyone.
Michele...I'm so incredibly impressed with your tough mudder! I'm going on a tandem bike ride with my dh this afternoon. That is as tough as I've been lately! :) lol

Pageta...praying for you. Sounds like a ton of stress! Can your dh carpool one day so you only have to do the four hour commute with the kids once a week?

Krampus...wow...so glad he is getting help. What a load to carry without therapy all these years!

Well, I had gone gone up in weight by two pounds this week, but it was my birthday, so I was splurging. I'm back down 1.5, so just need to get the last bit off and keep going. Have a great first day of October, everyone. :)

bargoo
10-01-2012, 10:45 AM
my weight is good this morning but wanted to share that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and JC Penney is giving away free haircuts to Breast Cancer Survivors , see www.jcpmediaroom.com (http://www.jcpmediaroom.com) click on jcp cares
Pass the word around to those who might qualify.

ICUwishing
10-02-2012, 12:16 PM
:wave: Hoping that the low level of traffic means everyone is chugging along and winning the war (if not the individual battles)!

Ward, good luck healing that shoulder!

Not much to report here. I'm in the food groove and have been doing enough activity to be muscularly sore (climbing around in attic, much ladder work, lifting paint cans, boxes of flooring). Monday was awful - I was so sore it was actually kind of funny. Today I can flex my knees to walk and sit down!Funny, but I did not lose sight of the not-funny part about being this out of shape. It sticks in my mind that that level of pain and stiffness could be my future if I don't make some changes. There isn't much point in being a size 8 if I can't do the things I want to do or need to do, is there? This and other things drove a day of reflection, mostly about how much conflict I'm willing to endure to pursue my own happiness.

alinnell
10-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Happily size 8 here--loose even! Ordered a new pair of golf shorts yesterday. I didn't even have to "think" about what size. I knew that 8 was it and will be it. I was a 6 once a few years back--6 bordering on 4 (couldn't quite pull the 4 off). 6 was too difficult to maintain. 8 works great at this weigh. Gain 10 and and 8 is tight, but 10 still a bit loose. I'd rather the 8 be a little loose. Ya know?

Shannon in ATL
10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
I've been reading and observing, just not posting. I had a busy weekend, then yesterday was worn out. I'm tired. That is making it hard for me to get back on track.

Yesterday I had my running bag and was prepared to go after work even in the light drizzle going on. Then several things happened. It started to pour down rain. Trees bending sideways, rain blowing sideways, tornado warnings, all manner of bad weather. The weather broke and it was clearer by the time I got off work, but I was afraid that the storm moving over from Alabama would hit me while I was at the park. Also, DH was home sick from work. I went home and got his flex card and went and picked up prescriptions from Target. Get home and it is after 6, still not raining so I would have had a three hour gap to exercise. That made me irritated. DH then asked me if I wanted to exercise before we fixed dinner. My irritation at missing the non-rain window made me fussy, so instead of taking the opportunity to get on the treadmill or elliptical in the garage I said no and didn't exercise at all because I didn't do what I wanted to do.

I fell asleep at 10:15 last night, I'm hoping the motivation will be back today.

saef
10-03-2012, 07:10 AM
I don't like how tight my gym top was yesterday night in spin class. I bought it at a Thrifty Shopper store back in my hometown several months ago. It's got my high school logo on it; says I'm a member of the swim team. (This is a great source of amusement to me because I was such a gym class klutz and never swam at the high school at all, being too ashamed of my body to don a swimsuit.) I know this top was looser a month back.

So this morning I wasn't surprised that my weight was up from last Friday, though it is lower than last Wednesday. Go figure.

I'll be dealing with a disruption to my routine this week. My mother's arriving today for a visit that I **think** will last till Sunday, though I'm not sure how long she plans to stay. She's bringing me much-needed sweaters & jackets & heavier night gowns & robe, which were still at her house. When I moved, I only brought my summer clothes. She will also bring Fritz, her cat, whom I've missed a lot. We'll see how I cope with visitors in this still-unsettled apartment, which has just one bed in it and an air mattress.

alinnell
10-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm not doing too well on the diet front this week. I thought I was pretty good on the weekend, but I guess not, so my weight jumped up to 152 and it's stuck there. Now I can only hope to see that red line by the end of the month (instead of the end of last month like I had hoped). ((sigh))

traveling michele
10-03-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm with you Allison. Very down this morning. My smaller clothes are too small, which is making me really come to the realization that I've gained weight. I took it out on poor dh who tried to tell me that I was too thin before, which I heard as: "Yes, you have gained weight". Sigh.... I have to make some changes which I don't want to do as I already eat healthy, exercise, etc. I just don't understand why I was able to maintain my weight where I wanted to for a couple of years and now it's gone up-- I really don't think I've changed anything. But perhaps I've become less rigid. I don't know. I do know that I won't buy any grapes until I am 120..... I keep saying I can't buy them and I keep buying them anyway. So, if I set a black or white figure-- maybe I'll stick to it. Don't know that I'll get below 120 again, so perhaps my grape days are over.

pageta
10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Well, I've stuck with it for a week, but my weight per my bathroom scale hasn't budged. Today I've been up since 2:30 a.m. with insomnia - normal wake-up time is 6 a.m. I managed to not eat breakfast until the regular time, so hopefully my eating will still be on track.

Shannon in ATL
10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Right there with you guys. My smaller clothes are too small, too. My 'middle of the road' clothes are also a little snug. My slightly larger clothes are a little loose, but more comfortable than the rest of them. I'm looking at not getting below 130 any time soon - I can't even get to 132 right now. Meh.

Michele - are grapes a trigger food for you?

ICUwishing
10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
saef, good luck with the mom visit. I'm really looking forward to sweater weather; we are supposed to have highs in the low 50's this weekend.

allison, all you can do is soldier on. I can empathize with your frustration! Scales are evil creatures. If you're recording calorie deficits, eventually that possessed device will catch up.

shannon, I see a lot of myself in your post. I routinely bail on plans when the details require adaptation - I have caught myself in a victim attitude where I start to point fingers about why I "can't" exercise. Recognizing it goes a long way - hopefully the good night's sleep improved your worldview? From what you've posted, you have every reason to be tired and cranky!

Changed my current weight. I've seen enough 147s to lay claim, I think. Maybe I'll get to move it again in November - that would be most excellent. I'm planning a productive weekend of painting. After looking at the new drywall, I wasn't comfortable last weekend that the mud was completely dry. Now it's got the consistent shading that I wanted to see. If I get the paint done by Sunday night, we can call in the electrician next week ... and I'll be ready for the shower walls to be installed. Good grief, it's beginning to look like this might actually wrap up this month! :)

JohnKY
10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm up a couple lbs. Think I can blame being sick for about a week recently and the associated impact on my regimen. My neuromuscular troubles have been flaring over the past 5 days or so. Seems to especially act up if I've had a cold or flu. Lowers my exercise tolerance and does nothing for my mood.

Been glad for the past 2 sunny days. Sorry to see the days get less fair and shorter as we move into fall.

Work has been extra hectic and layered with additional complications. It's easy to see how anyone can get overwhelmed by lots of little things -and occasionally big ones, and get off track with maintenance. I try and remind myself that slipping will only create new problems.

neurodoc
10-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Today, despite a long workday and several evening errands to take care of, I had a 45 min. window of opportunity to exercise. I managed to get into exercise gear and start the exercise DVD before the phone rang. That was the death knell. Before I knew it, 15 min. were gone and then DH informs me that my middle son forgot his soccer cleats and since he's taking our oldest to his evening class, I need to drop them off at the practice field. So much for exercise plans. It is now 10:30 pm, the first quiet moment I've had since right before the phone rang at 6:05. Sometimes I really resent the way everyone has a right to my time except for me.

Weight is ok though of course I'm eternally striving to get back to goal (120). I feel like the moment I give up trying to lose weight, I gain, so I better be forever in weight loss mode :>(

Saef and others that do versions of IE rather than calorie counting, do you measure/limit portions or do you have any other system that puts limits (other than your appetite) on how much you eat? I'm super-sick of logging all my food every day, but every time I stop I experience calorie-creep. My appetite is a completely unreliable indicator of how much I've eaten. And I'm much, much hungrier on days I've done an hour of cardio.

pageta
10-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I am still here, but very tired after my 20+ hour day yesterday. I slept okay last night, and today my weight was up to 158-something. I have been OP for over a week now and no drop in weight, but for some reason I am unphased. Probably because I'm not really minding eating less. I'm not starved or irritable. If anything, I am dreadfully fatigued. I am sure it will drop at some point, and eight days OP for weight-loss isn't long enough yet to raise the flag of surrender. I am also mid-cycle and tend to get more PMS-type symptoms then than at the end, so I'm blaming my lack of loss on it as well. I might be seeing 159 or 160 if I trying to stay OP for weight-loss. Who knows? My jeans felt looser last weekend but now are feeling tight again.

Andrea - I feel your pain on not enjoying logging everything. No brilliant words of wisdom for you at the moment other than empathy.

traveling michele
10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Right there with you guys. My smaller clothes are too small, too. My 'middle of the road' clothes are also a little snug. My slightly larger clothes are a little loose, but more comfortable than the rest of them. I'm looking at not getting below 130 any time soon - I can't even get to 132 right now. Meh.

Michele - are grapes a trigger food for you?

Seems silly-- but yes. I just keep going back for more until they're all gone. Since they are "healthy" I'll give myself permission, but I always gain after eating them.

Went to Bikram Yoga last night which usually gives me a little woosh the next day (dripping sweat and burning 1000 calories) but the scale was up slightly today. We had the pet sitter come last night so we didn't eat dinner until much later for us so I'm hoping that was the reason. Sigh....:mad:

ICUwishing
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Not looking good for another drop this week. Last week was a biggie so I guess it makes sense that there'd be a little bit of a bounce back up. It shouldn't be more than a couple of tenths. No matter - plodding endlessly forward. :tired: Life's a little too crazy to spend time contemplating weight loss right now, so I'm glad it's more or less in an autopilot kind of mode at the moment. My tracking fell by the wayside a few weeks ago, and my strategy isn't much more thought out than simply eating less than I really want to. :p

Mudpie
10-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Not looking good for another drop this week. Last week was a biggie so I guess it makes sense that there'd be a little bit of a bounce back up. It shouldn't be more than a couple of tenths. No matter - plodding endlessly forward. :tired: Life's a little too crazy to spend time contemplating weight loss right now, so I'm glad it's more or less in an autopilot kind of mode at the moment. My tracking fell by the wayside a few weeks ago, and my strategy isn't much more thought out than simply eating less than I really want to. :p

Right there with you Becky. :hug: The dog was out with me today from 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (with a 1 hour break in the middle for her) and she's racing around the house right now. SIGH. I know I can't tire her out but geez, ya think she'd at least pretend? :lol3:

It'll be over Sunday night and we have our Thanksgiving on Monday. I will be giving thanks for real for the first time in a long time re the situation with my father finally starting to resolve.

Although he seems to have gotten hold of a phone and called my own home today, asking me to come see him. I will grit my teeth through this on Saturday. He's in a room with several other people so I'm hoping at least he won't call me the c-word again.

And something completely unrelated and kinda nice - I was able to notice all the leaves that were turning today. Haven't really lifted my eyes from the ground in over 6 weeks so that was a pleasant sight. Brilliant burning maples and beautiful yellow ash (?) trees - little leaves that resemble bird feathers. And crimson sumachs and something small that was kind of reddish brown but really interesting in its pigmentation.

I'll have to get DH out for a hike at a local conservation area next weekend if it's at all nice weather. I have a photo of purple wildflowers from that park on as my screen saver right now and would like to get some new fall photos.

Off to make the dog's dinner (kibble is easy to cook :D) and then off to have dinner made for me by DH.

Dagmar :cool:

saef
10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I got my time of month this morning, so now I better understand the tight sports bras and the tight gym top.

It's looking like a good day. I managed to make a kale, cannellini and turkey sausage stew in the crockpot while on the phone for my weekly one-on-one with my boss. And my mother just went to the local race track & casino tonight, which means I can head out to Pilates mat class at the gym in peace.

And it was nice to have Fritz -- who's also here visiting -- jump up on my bed and curl into my hip last night. Even if he is leaving occasional fur tufts all over the place.

Mudpie
10-05-2012, 07:12 AM
And it was nice to have Fritz -- who's also here visiting -- jump up on my bed and curl into my hip last night. Even if he is leaving occasional fur tufts all over the place.

Most cats are not such polite visitors. They are very "home" oriented and tend to go berserk when taken to other places. Dogs are all about where their humans are - they don't much care about the place as long as their people are there.

Oops - I think the roofers are back to pick up the rest of their stuff. Dog just went nuts!

Dagmar

BillBlueEyes
10-05-2012, 07:36 AM
My immediate challenge is to eat mindfully for a three day trip to visit my DW's mom. Snacks will be easier since my favorites won't be visible, but meals will be the typical extended family, long duration, multiple dessert extravaganzas. Fortunately, there'll be some young kids to distract from just eating.

bargoo
10-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Good luck on your trip, Bill. I know how those go, all the favorite foods come out, but you have a lot of determination and will come home unscathed, I am sure.

alinnell
10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Pleasant surprise on the scale this morning. And frankly I gave up trying this week--too many home cooked meals to accurately count. But I guess the soup and salad last night was a good choice. That and walking the dogs.

Have a nice visit with your family, Bill.

ICUwishing
10-05-2012, 09:28 AM
pageta, "unphased" is the perfect word. :D I've had times when it took the scale a lot longer to recognize that I'd cut back than it did for my pants. It's not like quitting is an option, so what's left? As Krampus says, "Push on some more!" Maybe tomorrow's the big day for a significant drop - hoping for ya!

michele, late dinners always screw up the scale for me the next day - 100%. A three-hour processing window before going to bed is mandatory. Another one of those little oddities that only something like journaling can reveal!

dagmar, I'm so glad you found a moment to soak up a bit of the fall beauty! There is nothing more glorious to me than a sugar maple that just looks like it's a roaring fire on a big stick. I doubt your dad's going to have any more inhibitions just because people are around. I suspect that the "censor" switch is the first thing to go in the brain at the end of life. One never knows - maybe he's had some sort of epiphany, or maybe he actually does have something important to say. That being said, you're perfectly within your rights to turn around and leave as soon as the first profane word is out of his mouth. Ugh, what a rough situation. :hug:

saef, your stew sounds outstanding! :drool: Very glad that the cat hasn't decided your territory is his, in that special way that cats do. :club:

bill, "mindfully" is as good as it gets! Little kids are often released from the table as soon as they're done, and *somebody* has to supervise, right? ;)

allison, yay for the drop!

I'm up this week over last, but only by a paltry 3oz. The weekend has a few challenges for me too - my bestest buddy/latent soul mate/old work colleague is coming out from Toronto for the weekend and I'll get to have dinner and a few brews with him tonight. Haven't seen him for, wow, probably close to two years - his wife died a few years back, he's been getting the house ready to sell, and I think he's got a new girlfriend. DS has a birthday sleepover to go to on Saturday; I'll have to stop and chitchat for that (another beer/2/3) ... more going on than usual. As Bill says, mindfulness will be the way to go. The ONLY way to go!