Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 02:44 PM   #1  

Default Gastric bypass after shocks

Greetings! I'm SO glad to finally find someone on line that hopefully can give me some guidance.

I had surgery last July and was doing very very well. UNTIL I returned to work and my stress level has gone through the roof. I've lost over 100 lbs. but now find myself obsessing about food, eating more than I should (most time from just not paying attention or being in a situation where I'm not too sure of myself).

I was also doing okay until someone else that I knew told me she had the surgery and gained it all back. That has totally freaked me out!!!

HELP!!!! Any advice/support/guidance will be gratefully accepted! I'm scared to death that I'm going to gain back weight. I've come to far to do something so stupid.

I do work out 3x a week at Curves for Women (great place BTW). So I do have those bases covered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Robi in TX
Old 04-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

robi robi robi. i think you have a good idea of what you need to do: STRESS MANAGEMENT CLASSES. among other things. and planning your food, even packing it in an insulated bag. maybe even finding a new job!!!

just because we've had the surgery doesn't mean that we've really changed anything in our heads. and that's where the real battle is.

is there a support group? we're told that from the time we have the surgery and forever, we must now make ourselves, and our care, our absolute first priority. sounds simple, doesn't it? but as overweight people, and overweight women especially, we just don't always have these self-care mechanisms and tools around. so we have to relearn.

the self-hate HAS to stop [and i'm just talking in general here, not about anything that you posted], and thought processes and habits have to change. not an easy task. ever.

but some things you can control now. the first one is eating mindlessly. PAY ATTENTION!!! even set a timer, if you have to.

please don't think i've got this whole thiing figured out. i'm at the gym at least 5-6 days a week, and i've taken up knitting again to keep my hands busy.

but i am finding [much to my absolute shock!] that the cardio is helping control my stress. and i'm also trying some things i'd never dreamed of, like using a personal trainer and getting a massage.

and i've told them all about the surgery, and what i've gone through, and i've been met with nothing but support and complete dedication to helping me. it's been quite a shock. so maybe that's another idea, recruiting some people to help you, even if it's making sure you get out for a walk to break up your stress..

and hang out with us. vent. often and loudly. we are tough [i was going to say that we have broad shoulders, but frankly, they're all shrinking dramatically!!!!].

i'll try to post more later.

hang in there, robi. you're not alone. we'll get through this together.
Closed Thread