Weight Loss Support - Problem that confuses the heck out of me

Springsman66
08-29-2012, 09:17 AM
First and for most please forgive my poor spelling, when God was handing out talents spelling is not one of the ones I received. I am 25 years old male. To make a very long story short, Over 14 months I went out to eating 600 calories per day (400 calorie peanut butter sandwich, and 1 monster energy drink) along with working out several hours per day, I lost 184 lbs in those 14 months, and at a weight of 214 I had a 11 percent body fat percentage according to a bod pod test. My problem is that I find that I cannot eat any decent amount without gaining massive weight one additional 400 calorie sandwich will make me weigh 3 lbs heavier than I did before eating it. I know it is water weight but well I am sure you know what that feels like since you are also on this site. What I am specifically writing about today is that I read some posts and wanted to reset my metabolism so I am in the middle of a refeeding (Day 5), I am eating 3000 calories per day and it is sincerely hard to make myself do this, yet I find that I am still hungry, almost all day eating. I am following a nutrionists design for food and what I eat is very healthy.
But after day 5 my scale shows me to have gained 12 pounds and this is freaking me out, I want to go back to 600 calories to lose it all. I am very active I go to the gym 5 days a week do a solid hour of cardio where I burn 1000+ calories, I lift for 25 minutes, I do 1025 reps of ab workouts 5 days a week, pushups etc. According to the bod pod test, and my nutrionalist they say I should be consuming around 4500 calories to maintain my current weight. But that number seems to be very high. I guess I am just very frustrated, I know that to gain a pound of fat you need to eat 3500 excess calories that your body doesnít use and stores, and that a lot of the 12 lbs is water weight. I am very afraid of this continuing, I read to try the refeeding 7 to 15 days, and if after 5 days, I have gained 12 lbs that means after 15 it will be 36. I worked so hard and almost killed myself trying to be in shape, and every morning I start my day with jumping on a scale and seeing weight gain. I am not sure if I can make myself continue to do this, I am afraid it will not work and I will be stuck at 600 calories per day for the rest of my life. And I canít let that happen, my hair started to fall out and I was hospitalized doing it that way. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I am sorry that it is a little long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely Nicolas

bargoo
08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Welcome and good luck. Thank you for sharing with us and congratulations on wanting to improve your health. You know, of course, that such drastic dieting has messed up your metabolism. The problem you have now is to find the right amount of calories and not gain. You already know this. I think the 4500 calories that your nutritionist suggest is awfully high. I am not sure what the right amount would be maybe 3200. You might try starting out slowly. !000 calories a day , for one week next week 1200 calories, following week 1500 ., etc, I don't know if that will work but if it were me that is what I would try.

JohnP
08-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I think you need to see a psychologist, not a nutritionist.

My advice would be to take 2 weeks off from all exercise and eat maintinence calories maknig sure to get at least 200g of carbs a day.

Springsman66
08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
I am seeing a psychologist, but what i am wondering is how long does it take for someone's body to recognize that it is no longer starving and that it is getting enough calories to be healthy? I am eating exactly 3000 calories, i get 205 g of protein and 275 carbs per day. As well as 4 servers of vegetables and 3 servings of fruit, all according to my nutrionist. My meals are 200-400 calories spaced out through out the day, so I eat 7 to 8 times per day. Forgive me if my message sounded like i am crazy or whatnot. I am just wondering or perhaps looking for hope that if I can continue making myself eating that at some point my body will say " Hey i am getting enough food, i can use it and not store it". Then i can lose whatever actual wait I gain the healthy way, aka 1 to 2 lbs per week.

SoMuchFattitude
08-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Since your body has depleted its fat and muscle, you've actually destroyed the ratio of fat to muscle in your body. As you eat, the fat stores will build faster than the muscle will, even with the working out. You'll have to gain, unfortunately, to lose again, but next time maintaining a healthy ratio of fat to muscle.

This will take quite some time to reverse, but it is possible. I'm not a medical professional, just going by what I've read/heard/know. I would see a medical professional though and get some real help if this all the case.

Desiderata
08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't have any scientific answers for exactly how long the repair will take, Springsman. But the human body is remarkably resilient. You WILL get there and I'm confident your body will successfully heal, given time and support. :hug: Glad you are getting support from a psychologist and a nutritionist. It has to be alarming to see the scale rising right now - even though it sounds like you know, objectively, that all that weight isn't real. Remember (I'm sure you know this) that food weighs a lot when its in your system. If this new way of eating is drastically different than it was before (more carbs, more... everything!), your body is going to react with water fluctuations. The water fluctuations will stabilize, with time - or at least become less dramatic.

Hang in there! Give it a bit more time and just trust the process - and the professionals you're working with. :hug: Easier said than done, but you can do it.

JohnP
08-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Stop exercising. Your body needs a break.

How long it takes is anyone's guess.

I'd also suggest not eating such small meals. That might help with hunger.

tricon7
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I do 1025 reps of ab workouts 5 days a week, pushups etc.

How long has it been since you were eating 600 calories a day? And how long have you been exercising this intensely?

NEMom
08-29-2012, 02:52 PM
First off congrats on your 184 lb loss. Amazing. However, it sounds like your drastic diet has caused you some health issues. You need to learn to eat a healthy diet because you are right wehn you said no one can live on 600 calories a day forever.
If you feel that 3000 is too much, cut it back to 2000-2500 per day.
My biggest piece of advice is TOSS YOUR SCALE. It sounds like you have become obsessed with the number. Eat a healthy diet, exercise in moderation and give your body a chance to healy and recover.
Best of luck to you!

HungryHungryHippo
08-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Your body is going haywire right now. You need to stabilize--and going from 600 calories to 3000 calories is anything but. A guy your size who never had any issues would eat about 2000 calories. Your nutritionist makes me nervous. Why don't you ask some of the trainers at the gym? They're usually pretty nutrition savvy, and it will give you a range of opinions.

Springsman66
08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement =). Tricon it has been 3 months, i went from 600 calories to 1600 at the start of summer with no big weight gains or water gains. The abs just about 2 weeks, I was doing the 2 hours at the gym, solid cardio and weights to try to maintain muscle mass, even when I was doing the 600 calories, so i have been doing that daily for the last 17 months. I increased abs so much because gaining muscle is one of the ways you can help your skin not be such a problem. As you are aware when you lose alot of weight you have excess skin problems, but that is another issue. I decided that if i made my stomach a little stronger(abs) that it would help me. The process of doing 1025 reps only takes around 35 mins, i do 7 different exercises. I figured it couldn't hurt? Thank you again for reading and offering advice.

JossFit
08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
I know that everyone here means well, but in cases like this it's best NOT to listen to people who don't know the specifics of your health.

If you are working with a nutritionist and a psychologist, listen to THEM. They are the experts. Put your trust in them and the fact that they are concerned about your health and will get you on the right track.

If you gain a bit of extra fat during the process, it's a small price to pay for the tools you will gain from them and the knowledge of how to lose that little bit of fat the HEALTHY sustainable way when the time comes.

Vex
08-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I think it would be a good idea to take a copy of your nutritionist's plan and sit down with your doctor, if you have one.

LaurieDawn
08-30-2012, 12:14 AM

John -you are one of the people here at 3FC I respect and admire greatly. But WTH? First of all, it's bad advice. People who have eating disorders need help for both their physical and mental issues. (Not saying the OP has an eating disorder, but that's what John's advice seems to suggest. I am not qualified to make that diagnosis.) Perhaps more importantly, it seems cruel. Pithiness cannot substitute for kindness. I generally love your directness, but the OP was not seeking mental health opinions, let alone callous aspersions. It is a support group, after all.

Having said that, I completely agree with Joss. The OP needs medical attention from someone with a far more complete understanding of the many variables here.

littlelioness
08-30-2012, 12:33 AM
throw out your scale. there are more important things to worry about - like your health. i'm going through something sort of similar (though not remotely as extreme) and the only thing that's working for me is not weighing at all. in the end, it'll be ok. the end might take a while, but we have the rest of our lives to be healthy. this is temporary and we'll get through it.

gatorgirl6
08-30-2012, 12:54 AM
We are not doctors. See a nutritionist, a psychologist, and/or your doctor. You should not have to have this much difficulty with food or body image. Everyone, including you, knows that the 600 cal diet is not healthy, especially in combination with your super intense workout. You were not getting the proper nutrition. Sounds like anorexia nervosa to me, but again - I am not a doctor. You didn't mention how tall you are or how much you weigh. Your body very well could need that 12 lbs.

I want to stress to you, that none of us that share this opinion are judging you. We all sincerely care about you and your physical and mental health. I see you are new here and I urge you to come back here often knowing that we will support you. We may have a different screwed up relationship with food and exercise, but since we are overweight we obviously weren't doing it right initially either. We are here to reshape our minds and bodies and become more healthy, just like you.

JohnP
08-30-2012, 03:19 AM
John -you are one of the people here at 3FC I respect and admire greatly. But WTH? First of all, it's bad advice. People who have eating disorders need help for both their physical and mental issues. (Not saying the OP has an eating disorder, but that's what John's advice seems to suggest. I am not qualified to make that diagnosis.) Perhaps more importantly, it seems cruel. Pithiness cannot substitute for kindness. I generally love your directness, but the OP was not seeking mental health opinions, let alone callous aspersions. It is a support group, after all.

Not sure why you see it this way. I'm not being cruel, sarcastic, sardonic, or disrespectful.

In my opinion he needs professional psychological help more than anything else. The question he is asking is not relevant compared to the greater need. He is clearly abusing his body and has been for a long time.

If you think it is bad advice than we'll have to disagree.

Prim2012
08-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Having said that, I completely agree with Joss. The OP needs medical attention from someone with a far more complete understanding of the many variables here.

Thank you. I agree with every point you have made.

Porthardygurl
08-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Im sorry to the other posters, but im going to have to agree with JohnP on this one. Read between the lines people...its obvious that he needs some help emotionally and mentally with this struggle that he has going on. It has body dysmorphic disorder/disordered eating written all over it. You cant work out your physical problems if your brain and your emotions keep on getting in the way of your ability to heal. Deal with the underlining issues, and the physical issues will then resolve themselves.

krampus
08-30-2012, 04:10 PM

THIS, OP clearly has an eating disorder!

saltatoria
08-30-2012, 05:12 PM
We are not doctors. See a nutritionist, a psychologist, and/or your doctor. You should not have to have this much difficulty with food or body image. Everyone, including you, knows that the 600 cal diet is not healthy, especially in combination with your super intense workout. You were not getting the proper nutrition. Sounds like anorexia nervosa to me, but again - I am not a doctor. You didn't mention how tall you are or how much you weigh. Your body very well could need that 12 lbs.

I want to stress to you, that none of us that share this opinion are judging you. We all sincerely care about you and your physical and mental health. I see you are new here and I urge you to come back here often knowing that we will support you. We may have a different screwed up relationship with food and exercise, but since we are overweight we obviously weren't doing it right initially either. We are here to reshape our minds and bodies and become more healthy, just like you.
This sums up exactly what I am thinking. None of us are prepared to answer your questions the way a psychologist, nutritionist, or doctor could, especially since we don't know your medical history, height, weight, etc.

Please stay with us, though, and feel free to vent or ask questions at any time. I wish you the very best of luck with healing and moving forward. :hug:

Mer du Japon
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM
I truly feel for you. I can't imagine only eating a peanut butter sandwich and a monster drink every day for 14 months. 600 calories a day is very little when working out that much. To do this to the point where you end up in the hospital and your hair starts falling out must mean that you were deeply malnurnished. And then to go from 600 cals to over 3000 must have been emotionally and physically stressful.

Losing weight can be great, but health is the most important. And if you are unsure about your nutritionists plan, consider getting a second opinion from another nutritionist. You clearly have eating issues and I really hope you have a good therapist who can work with you.

tricon7
08-30-2012, 05:39 PM
To the OP, where did you get this idea of eating only 600 calories a day while simultaneously exercising to this degree?

Springsman66
08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't believe I have an eating disorder, but then again who that actually has an eating disorder believes that they do at first? To answer many peoples questions. I am 25 a Senior getting my degree in psychology, I am 6'1 and when I took the bod posttest that put my body fat percentage at 11, I weighed 214. I am built like a football player and have lifted weights for years to tone, never body building. According to this test I took, which is supposed to be highly accurate I had a mass of fat at 23.94 lbs., and a fat free mass of 190.034. I wanted to get down to 210, but my body would not permit me to, even on 600 calories. So I maintained 216 for the summer.
My motivation and the idea to eat 600 calories and working out as much as I did, came from a girl that I had the miss fortune to fall in love with. I thought that if I wasn't fat or a wale as she liked to call me, she might want me back, so I went off to school and started to eat less and less, and I was encouraged by the weight loss and decided to take it down a little more and more. The girl told me she had a friend who lived years on 600 calories and that it would really give me results if I did that, I so desired to not be what I was that it got a little out of control.
I know that it’s very unhealthy and that my hair is never going to grow back, and I can kiss improving my excess skin problem goodbye if my body is not getting enough food, no matter what supplements I am taking. It just freaks me out, forgive me for sounding weak and I suppose I am. But I am more afraid of slipping up and losing control and reverting back to what I was, then anything on the planet. Most people when they lose weight they gain it back, an affect called yoyo dieting I believe. I can’t be one of them.

gatorgirl6
08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Everyone, please be aware that your comments may be taken negatively. Even if you are asking an honest question or kindly stating opinion, it is hard to read tone in typed text.

Springsman (Nicholas) - Please know that we are all here to support you and everyone is speaking from a place of love and concern.

TiffNeedsChange
08-31-2012, 01:44 AM
Hi Nicholas. I am sorry that you are going through so much emotional strain. I am glad that you now have a nutritionist! They are probably trying to replenish your body's balance by putting you at a higher caloric intake. I think the weight you're gaining is probably a lot of water weight since it takes water to digest all of that food.
Some of your extra weight very well could be extra skin which will improve with time and proper nutrition. don't obsess over the scale, focus on how you feel instead. Weight loss maintainers do take a while to find their "sweet spot" for maintaining their low weight, you need to give your body time.
As for the girl that you fell in love with - LET HER GO! Noone should ever ever call another person names, that is plain hateful and she will destroy your self image. You deserve love and caring like everyone else.
I hope you can start loving yourself again. Just take some time to enjoy your life, life is too short not to.

tricon7
08-31-2012, 09:46 AM
To the OP, you said you were on this 600 calorie/day diet for over a year. Did a doctor or nutritionist assist you during this time?

Serenity100
08-31-2012, 08:08 PM
If I am reading correctly, your nutritionist has you on 3000 calories temporarily in order to reset you body. But you are gaining weight and are freaking out. I don't blame you for freaking out, but if you are going to a nutritionist associated with a physician, and you trust this person you need to give it a shot. You don't want to be eating only a peanut butter sandwich for the rest of your life in order to maintain your weight loss.

You might gain back a chunk of weight but then the nutritionist will guide you how you can start losing again and eat more than that sandwich. Trust the nutritionist.

You want to be healthy and live a long life. Good luck.

novangel
08-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Since your body has depleted its fat and muscle, you've actually destroyed the ratio of fat to muscle in your body. As you eat, the fat stores will build faster than the muscle will, even with the working out. You'll have to gain, unfortunately, to lose again, but next time maintaining a healthy ratio of fat to muscle.

^^This. Good luck.

Vex
08-31-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm not going to make any suggestions about your diet/exercise as I don't want to give you any poor advice and have some thoughts about your other comments.

You've posted about your concerns about your excess skin. I know from reading posts here that excess skin can get better over a the course of a couple of years. When you have a LOT of it though, I've frankly only heard of surgery to remove that. Sometimes, if you have insurance, if your excess skin is extra troublesome, you can have insurance pay for surgery to remove it. It might be worth looking into if it is really bothering you.

Keep in mind too that you probably really weigh less than you do if you have 20lbs of extra skin.

I hope you'll stick around here. I'm very interested in learning about how everything works out for you.

Springsman66
08-31-2012, 11:11 PM
First I want to assure the good people on this website, I have not taken any offense to any comments, nor view them as negative in any way. I value honesty even when its not something I enjoy hearing. And when I hear something like that if the person is sincere as I believe they were, then there is no problem =). To answer your question, yes i was seeing a sports doctor who told me " My diet was extreme, but not as extreme as being so obese and to continue". We were doing blood tests every 6 weeks to make sure my organs were not failing, and they didn't. To answer an earlier question, unfortunately my school had 1 nutritionist on staff for over 35,000 students and they let her go due to budget cuts. The 3000 calories a day plan i came up with using old charts I had from the nutritionist. I took that to be the low number that the bod pod test, nutritionist,doctor and all the formulas online told me I should be eating. It should be on the low end, as they all agree I should be eating 4500ish calories with how active I am. I just want to get enough protein and carbs in me that my hair will grow back and my skin will tighten a bit. Its 1 of the reasons i came here and asked, if getting as much protein and carbs i am getting is enough or if i should be getting more? As for the loose skin comments, thank you for suggesting surgery, I saw a surgeon and insurance will not pay for it. I have 2 to 3 lbs of excess skin on my stomach and thighs that could tighten up on their own over the course of 1 to 2 years. Which is why i am working out 5 days a week, i use special night cream, i want to get enough nutrition into my body, and i follow a very long list of things that help with skin and hair care that I wont bore you guys with. I am hitting myself for being such a idiot. In a rush to get a quick solution for a rather evil girl, i got my results but got more problems then I should have, so know i am trying to fix the problems I got while i was trying to fix a problem /smacks self. I suppose its good to live and learn. If i may ask again is their any reason that someone who works out would need more then 175 grams of protein and around 300 carbs per day? Thank you again for listening and commenting, I have not had anyone to talk to about this as, and I know men are 'suppose" to be an island. But i have never been that way.