Living Maintenance - Weekly chat August 27-Sept 2

View Full Version : Weekly chat August 27-Sept 2

paperclippy
08-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Dagmar's on vacation, I think maybe Bill is too? So good morning everyone, here is a new thread! Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes creating it.

ICUwishing
08-27-2012, 09:16 AM
jessica, nope, no toes! Thanks for starting it (and reminding me that it's a new week)!

allison, Misty looks very happy to have a new, loving home! Congrats on your new addition!

michele, thanks for the update on Jozi. I'm guessing it's not too hard to convince a Lab to gain some weight. Older dogs definitely have their absorption issues. We used to put a big ole stripe of the high-calorie paste across our 14-year old Gordon Setter's dinner each night.

Megan, good luck with Isaac!

Dagmar, have a great vacation!

Big week for me - Tuesday is DS13's physical (probable confrontation with his doctor about why I didn't bother getting the cholesterol test done from last year), an electrician is coming in to quote our hall bathroom work, and Thursday we sign our contract for residing the house and get the first load of color samples. I still have to take DS shopping for school supplies too ... and decide if the re-siding job is going to include moving/adding windows on one of the shorter sides of the house, in our master bath (which also needs a major overhaul). Retreating to the potato chip bag is NOT an option!!! (repeat as necessary, about every 5 minutes).

alinnell
08-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Good morning!

I gave Chico his oral chemo today and am having him stay home with Misty today so I can run errands after work. Now that we're back to 2 dogs, I need to stock up on dog food!

Misty continues to be a nice addition to the family, but I do hope she gets over the kennel cough soon. She hacked up so much phlegm this morning!

You're right about older dogs not being able to absorb as well and weight gain is an issue for them. I forgot about that! Buddy was getting terribly thin as he aged, but I attributed that to him getting sick over and over.

First day of school for both my kids today and DD is coming home for the weekend. I wonder how Misty will like her cats!

saef
08-27-2012, 09:29 AM
It's definitely Monday.

I have two hour-long training sessions with a recent hire -- one in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I'm expecting ConEdison's inspectors to stop in with the superintendent, to turn on my gas stove. (FINALLY!)

I've got an appointment at 4:30 PM with my therapist, resuming our weekly sessions. Which I need. This will likely become a standing appointment.

Also, I've decided I need to check in with the furniture restorer sometime today, as I have left him alone for two weeks now. The last time I made contact, he promised to bring me a small table on the following day, then, when that day came, never showed up, and never called to say he wasn't able to make it. I am steeling myself for that call. I need to be pleasant but firm.

I've also got a busy Wednesday, with two medical appointments on the same day: My mammogram in the morning and my yearly physical in the afternoon. Also, sometime in the middle of that day, I need to fit in yet another training session with that recent hire.

What this all means is that I'll be grateful for a three-day weekend by the time Friday arrives.

CherryPie99
08-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi everyone!

Hope you don't mind a newbie jumping in!

I seem to be holding pretty steady at 119 which was my original goal. However, I would like to drop a couple more as a buffer zone. I am still trying to figure this maintenance thing out, especially how many calories to eat.

I see my doctor this week. I had my blood drawn last week and am anxious to see what the labwork says. Last June when I saw him, I was about 75 pounds heavier and my cholesterol was 200. So I'm hoping for better numbers this time!!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Jen

bargoo
08-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Jen, welcome ! We are at about the same place I am at 119.8 and want to drop just a few more pounds. My weight loss is not nearly as dramatic as yours, though. Keep coming back !

alinnell
08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Welcome Jen!

Wow! What an accomplishment! 226 pounds! You look great!

krampus
08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi all!

I'm holding steady, was down to 125.4 this morning after hitting the gym for the first time in a few days. This afternoon will be a tearful goodbye, seeing my good friend off on her way back to Japan for who-knows-how-long before we reunite. Followed by grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.

paperclippy
08-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome Jen!

Allison, congrats on the addition to your family!

I hope everyone's busy weeks turn out okay and that anyone in Isaac's path is staying safe. We had a relatively busy weekend -- went to a car show thing, met up with some friends, helped clean out DH's grandma's house. My city got named #1 best place to live by Money magazine! http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/best-places/2012/snapshots/PL1810342.html

traveling michele
08-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi all. Just a quick hello from me today.
We have a teacher inservice today and the kids return tomorrow, so much to do to get ready!

Jen-- I suspect your bloodwork will be phenomenal!!

shcirerf
08-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Welcome Jen.
Allison congrats on the new dog.
Saef, I think I need a therapist!:dizzy:

The foster dog did not work out, way to animal aggressive. She was fine with people but wanted to kill anything with 4 legs.

After she attacked my best bud last night, all bets off, can't trust her. She was a Sheriff impound and we euthanized her this morning.

Not a road I wanted to go down, but, sometimes it just is what it is.:(

CherryPie99
08-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Glad to see other animal lovers on here. Janelle, I can't imagine how traumatic that was for you!

We recently rescued a starving mother cat and her 4 kittens. Hanging around her was another kitten about 3 weeks older then hers. We had a hard time catching that one and when we got him in we found him to be really disturbed. He absolutely refused to be tamed - both DH and I have tons of experience with animals and I have never had a cat - especially a kitten - actually go after me viciously like this kitten did. We found homes for 3 of the kittens, kept 1, and finaally found a home for mama cat last week. But I couldn't in good conscience give the psycho kitten to anyone. So he is now a barn cat at a relatives. Not the greatest life but...

We now have 10 cats - yes we are crazy - and 2 Boxers. Plus 9 chickens and a rooster!

bargoo
08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Janelle, I am so sorry about the dog . it sounds like the situation was completely out of your control.
CherryPie, you have a zoo, don't you? Don' t feel too bad about the barn cat, he will get all fat and sassy taking care of the rodent population.

traveling michele
08-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Janelle-- I'm so sorry to hear that. Was your pet hurt?

saef
08-28-2012, 05:48 AM
Well, I still don't have a working stove. When the superintendent knocked yesterday, I let in the plumber, who'd reported the gas line issue so many months ago, when construction on the apartments was still ongoing. The super pulled the stove away from the wall and the plumber checked the valves & etc., then went off to write up a report to Con Edison. This report has to travel through the company, and THEN we can call to make an appointment to get the gas turned on. "They don't like to mess around with gas," the plumber said. Well, of course not, it's explosive.

Still. When construction ceased and I first checked my completed apartment on July 5th, little did I know that so many weeks later, I'd still be waiting.

We have our certificate of occupancy now. I'll need to start paying maintenance again in Sept.

alinnell
08-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Sorry about the dog, Janelle. That's sad.

saef~that has got to be so frustrating! On another board someone said to me that they thought I was really patient (about adopting a dog) and I said I may be patient but I'm very frustrated.

So we're learning a bit more about Misty and her quirks. She thinks it's more fun to take things away from Chico than to choose something for herself. So every toy or bone he picks up, she steals from him. He's very patient and allows her to do it, but if he tries to get it back she growls. She is not food aggressive, though--just a little with her toys (especially bones). She barked at one of the cats that sniffed a little too close to the bone she was guarding last night--didn't chase or anything, just made her point known that it was hers. Her kennel cough seems to be getting better but each morning she coughs up quite a bit of phlegm but she was not coughing at all when we got home from work.

What's really funny--we took the dogs out to play fetch and Chico, with only three legs, can outrun Misty!

Megan1982
08-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Morning all,

The worst of Isaac has steered clear of us. It is windy, very rough on the water, and we do have about 3 inches of water underneath the house, but were prepared for that and moved the vehicles to higher ground and the power is still on. I took yesterday off but came in to work today. My uncertainty is for the bridge I have to take to my house. They aren't supposed to close it until we get 50 mph winds but for the last storm (TS Debby) they closed it around 30 mph, so I'm wary of leaving... don't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the bridge if they close it early. I will probably just take Emma up the street and change from my boots to my shoes at my car to walk her later.

My goal was to tire her our before the storm, so from Friday night to Monday AM we walked 16 miles. She was sort of tired yesterday... back to her antics today. I am tired though! Hopefully I burned a good amount of calories. It really hasn't rained much here, though, nothing like the deluge we got earlier this summer with Debby, so I should be able to walk her in sunshine later.

Janelle, sorry about the dog. It is a difficult situation but it is so hard to try to deal with and find a home for a dog with animal aggression. How is your pet that she attacked?

Allison, I'm sure Misty and Chico will fall into a companionable routine. Glad to hear Chico still has his speed!

Jen, as long as you get psycho kitty fixed, I'm sure you gave him a better chance at life than he otherwise would have. And he'll keep your rodent population down. Just Sunday I saw one of our neighborhood cats bolting across the street with some kind of field mouse-looking creature in her mouth.

I hope your #s are better! I have high cholesterol, unfortunately, and as it runs in my dad's family I can only think there is a genetic component (at least my individual #s are good - HDL "good" is high, "bad" is low in its range etc). My friends just don't understand and wonder how I can eat any more veggies or exercise more. I can only console myself by telling myself if I still weighed 210 lbs, it would be much higher. Let us know what your doctor reports.

Saef, I'm keeping my fingers crosses that you will be able to roast a batch of veggies in your oven this weekend.

Becky, sounds like you are quite busy! Good luck with it all!

bargoo
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Megan , hope Isaac stays away from your home. I share that high cholesteral problem with you , I am dong everything right. I asked my doctor , how can this be, her answer "genetics".

Shannon in ATL
08-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Wow - I miss yesterday and the thread is long! :)

My DH has that same genetic high cholesterol problem - his doctor continues to hammer him about going on statins, but we would really rather he not do that. He has a physical coming up next month and if is has held stable or dropped some over the last several years results we are going to tell his doctor to drop the statin discussion for now.

Saef - I also hope that they get your gas back on soon. That is all kinds of annoying.

Megan - glad that Isaac missed you. Whew.

Janelle - I'm sorry about the foster dog. Sadness. :(

Allison - Misty looks precious! I'm glad that she is getting along with Chico.

Jen - welcome! Wow, 10 cats. My one cat drives us crazy sometimes.

Krampus - good job holding the weight! Sorry about your friend leaving. :hug:

I'm tired this week. TOM is in full force, and today I had my 'just turned 40' mammogram. I hate those things. And I was already grumpy which didn't help. It is raining here, which is putting a kink in my going for a run plans for after work. Maybe I'll just run in the rain. Might help with the grumpy. :)

:wave: to everyone I missed!

CherryPie99
08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Shannon, I just turned 40 and I'm hoping the doc doesn't say the word mammogram when I see him tomorrow. I have extremely tiny boobies, so hopefully he'll forget about them LOL

I'm feeling frustrated and cranky today. I've have been RAVENOUS the last 2 days and trying to keep my eating in check and then am up a pound today :(

Don't know what is going on with me!

I ran 6 miles during my lunch hour and it was HUMID so hopefully I burned off a bunch of cals!!

ICUwishing
08-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I've successfully ducked the cholesterol issue despite tending high like all of my maternal relatives. Apparently four generations of cardiac-free and stroke-free lives into the late 90's still carries some weight. :). A big piece of that is having an educated doctor who reads the studies funded by the pharmaceutical industry with the same critical eye. Same with mammograms ... he supports my right to gamble on thermography and MRI instead, given my unique situation of tiny dense boobs, two false positives, and thanks to my LAST mammogram four years ago, a lingering injury. There are options, it just depends on your comfort level and what you're willing to pay.

alinnell
08-28-2012, 08:27 PM
DH is the one with the bad cholesterol. He's on statins and has been for two years or so. He's prone to taking his doctor's advice over his own research. A couple of years ago I was borderline high and my doctor (who likes to do research) said I should stay away from statins and gave me a more holistic approach. So far it's working as the numbers are better than they were. My Mom always had high cholesterol, but I attribute that to her affair with ice cream and fresh fruit with heavy cream.

saef
08-28-2012, 08:59 PM
I have great cholesterol numbers, but my evil doctor STILL prescribes a tiny dose of statins, which he believes are preventative.

Seeing him tomorrow, and begging for a resumption of antidepressants. I ran out two weeks ago. Blame my getting meds through the mail, as my health plan wants me to, but also undergoing a change of address, and the trouble of getting this change of address put through the system. I believe I am actually going through withdrawal without the antidepressants, as some sensations when I turn my head sharply resemble what I went through with Paxil withdrawal many years ago. Also there's a similar feeling of exhaustion & trouble sleeping.

shcirerf
08-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Ruby has 2 nasty puncture wounds on her right leg, one up high on the front and the other in the armpit.

I took her to work yesterday and we cleaned her up and shaved the bite wounds. Got her on Cephalexin, she'll heal. She is a little drama puss however.:D If you're not looking she can run all over and be fine, give her a bit of attention and she has the paw in the air.

I've fostered lots of dogs before and some were great and some were a trial, but I eventually got through to them and they turned out great and got re homed, except for Kirby, who was weird and we kept him.

But this one, WOOF! When she locked on something, all bets were off.

Anywho, weighed in tonight at WW 137.8, still running under goal. WW rolled out a product similar to fitbit but much less expensive, bought one we'll see. I'm curious, because I wear my WW pedomometer every day and I added up my steps for the last week today, a shade over 100,000 for the last 7 days. We've been that busy at work, that's been the average all summer.

Cherry pie, on the mammo, I have very large girls, does not hurt but the darn thing is colder than the arctic in December. Plus the first time I had one, they got me all smooshed up and cranked down and then got called away, I stood there with my poor boobie stuck for about 5 minutes. :?::dizzy: As I stood there stuck, I was checking out the buttons and knobs and wondering if I could get myself loose, but was afraid, I'd hit the wrong thing and flatten and then explode my poor girl.

Other than that, I haven't found it to be that bad. I did brave having another one and it was ok.

Saef, while I'm not on whatever gas you have, we are on propane, not something to mess around with. I get your frustration, but better safe than a flaming baked Alaska!

Ladies, remind me to tell you the long story of the truck driver and the sick dog. *rolls eyes* It still isn't even over yet, why I need a reminder!

alinnell
08-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Walking away while you're still in the contraption? That is uncalled for, Janelle. I would have filed a complaint. Thankfully I've never had a bad mammo experience other than a call back (twice) for an ultrasound when they thought they had seen something.

I'm thinking Misty is on the last of her kennel cough. She's very quiet this morning. She had a couple smaller episodes of hacking in the night but didn't hack up as much phlegm. This morning's phlegm is much reduced. She's really a good girl. Yesterday we were outside and a neighbor's dog was yapping and she did one loud bark--with her hackles up. I said No Misty and she turned to me and happily (and quietly) trotted away. We're making small strides in getting her to accept the doggy door.

JayEll
08-29-2012, 09:24 AM
I will not ever take statins, no matter what any doctor says, no matter what they prescribe. I do not have familial high cholesterol, and my numbers are good.

I do not believe in statins as a "preventive" where high cholesterol isn't present. That is just fuzzy thinking and is irresponsible, IMO. Why would you take something that kicks the **** out of your liver when there is nothing wrong?

Thanks for listening.

bargoo
08-29-2012, 09:29 AM
janelle, I wish I lived near you and could adopt a dog you have fostered. I am presently looking for a new best friend of the four legged type. I will get a rescue dog, as I have done before. The SPCA lady suggested I get a dog from a shelter, in her opinion you get a better dog because the shelter does temperment testing and will not allow a dog to be adopted if they show signs of aggression, etc. I think I prefer a dog that has been fostered as foster family knows the dog better and can give you the facts. We will see. I do love the bigger dogs which I have had in the past, German Shepherds and Boxers in particular, but in this stage of my life I need a small dog, an apartment dog, we will see what happens.

saef
08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Janelle, I was thinking of you earlier this morning while standing in front of the mammography machine, getting my breasts squished between two plates of glass like a microscope specimen. The technician was really excited about the machine, which does 3D imaging, and that interested me, because last year I had to work on a report on 3D computing, mostly in manufacturing. So I tried to distract myself by thinking about the wonders of technology, though sometimes I pretend I'm on "America's Next Top Model" and Jay Manuel is posing me.

Megan1982
08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

I have major munchies today and am trying to eat my healthful, filling, delicious foods I've packed instead of diving into whatever junky snack I can find around the office. I am PMS-ing and bored of being stuck in the office... not helping. My coworker just suggested making a pitcher of iced tea, unsweetened, so maybe that will help. I'm not at all hungry, it's not about that, so I'm trying to sit on my hands... and just remind myself that the junk will make me tired, and I don't need that.

Speaking of munchies, did you ladies know that you can pop plain popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave, with nothing added? I tried this last week and it worked! I need to get a misto so I can lightly spray olive oil instead of dousing. I have some herb popcorn seasoning and just tried nutritional yeast as a topping - actually quite tasty! You have to add something to help it stick though, hence my wanting to try the misto. I have been trying to give up the microwave bagged stuff - even the 94% fat free or 100 cal packs have a bunch of chemicals. What are your favorite healthy "munchies" snacks? I like popcorn if I don't add too much, salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas, homemade whole wheat pita chips (gotta watch the portion though), pita and hummus. Maybe I will add some recipes to the recipes sticky in this forum and hope others will share. I could use some new ideas.

I agree with Jay. Statins as a preventative? Seems like ** to me. I need to get another cholesterol test done to see if I've made progress since last summer. The one area of my life/health that could use improvement to help cholesterol levels is stress, which is why I took up yoga last year. I've stopped drinking crystal light and drink unsweetened green or black iced tea instead. But I already eat tons of veggies, oatmeal for breakfast 80% of days, whole grains, nuts, exercise a lot, and don't eat a lot of fatty red meat or junk foods. (The popcorn doused in oil/butter is not an everyday occurrence.)

My girls are quaking in their cups at all the mammo talk. I'm a few years away from that, thankfully. My grandmother died of breast cancer so I will probably start getting it done early, though.

shcirerf, I hope Ruby's wounds recover quickly. Lucky you work for a vet. ;)

Shannon, did you run? Hope you are less grumpy today. Sometimes you know you're grumpy and just can't seem to shake it... things just aren't going right. I try to go to bed early and just start afresh the next day when that happens.

bargoo
08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
When I am feeling grumpy I just want to stay grumpy and no one can talk me out of it. I'm not very pleasant to be around when the grumpiness sets in.

saef
08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Speaking of seasoning, Megan, I just got a bottle of Bragg's Aminos at Whole Foods. I'll report back on it. It's supposed to be like soy sauce, but lower in sodium or maybe it lacks whatever it is in soy that acts up on our female hormones. I forget what else is supposed to be so beneficial about it. But anyway, I've seen it advocated for umami flavoring. I still have to do a good Google on it to figure out how to start using it.

Bargoo, so. About the china cabinet. What did you end up getting? What does it look like? Pictures? I remember you talking about it here earlier, when I was also furniture-hunting. I myself am still puzzling out some furniture placement in the living room, which is not helped by the absence of two armchairs, one of which must be retrieved from a dealer in Arkansas who's supposed to head north at some point this fall.

Shannon in ATL
08-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Megan - I didn't make the run yesterday. Some stuff hit the fan at work and kept me here until after 6 and the weather was worse by the time I got out. I went home to dinner ready in the crockpot, had some wine and watched some amusing to me tv that I won't talk about due to the politics ban. ;)

Lots of mammograms going around here it seems, Saef - I was imagining myself being posed like a robot during mine yesterday. I don't know if it made it worse or better. My tech was a tiny Indian woman - she would get me in place and walk away to take the picture saying "Deep breath, now hold it... don't breathe... don't breathe... don't breathe... you can breathe..." in a singsong voice, in a beautiful accent that cut off half of the word 'breathe' so it sounded like 'bree'. It was oddly soothing. :)

CherryPie99
08-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi all!

Doctor's appointment went well today. My boobs weren't mentioned at all LOL

All labs came back normal - thyroid, kidney, glucose. I was disappointed that my cholesterol was still 189. However, doc was not concerned at all - said that because my HDL is very high, my LDL is very low, and triglycerides are rock bottom, and I have no other risk factors, 189 is no problem whatsoever.

I don't exactly have heredity on my side - my dad dropped dead of a sudden heart attack at age 42 - HIS father dropped dead of a sudden heart attack at age 49 and my mother's father had heart problems....

Doctor said that with my muscle tone, he would like to see me no lower then 120. I was surprised. But he was okay if I instead stay between 115-120. My body seems to like 121 :( so maybe he is going to get his way! He did set me up to talk with a dietician - my insurance pays, so why not?

Blood pressure was 110/61 and "resting" heart rate was 54.

Jen

Megan1982
08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Morning all,

We missed the worst of Isaac, but the last few days and today continue to be overcast, windy/wavy on the water, and extremely humid. I'll take it over the alternative hurricane strike. The last few evenings it's been nice taking the dog out to the beach bc no one is here, so I can let her off her leash to run. She keeps sniffing all the seaweed washed up and chasing the sea foam, but my sunglasses get fogged by the salt spray in about 10 minutes. I'm having wishful thinking we're getting an early start to our fall weather, but I doubt it's really here yet. It certainly seemed dark when I got up at 7:00 this AM.

Confession: I feel really stuck in my fitness routine right now. I know I need to garner more intensity, but just can. not. push myself to do it. I should jog with the dog more... oh, I'll walk instead. Even if I can't do upper body things bc of my shoulder, I should be doing legs, glutes, abs... and am not. I am rather frustrated with myself right now and seem unable to change my behavior. I feel like I've been using mantras like "Just do it" for so long that they fall on deaf ears now. :?:

Jen, great BP and HR! Good cholesterol #s, too. Glad everything went well with the doc. I am curious what the nutritionist has to say. After all, you seen to have the diet and exercise thing down pat.

Shannon, sounds like a nice evening. I don't use my crockpot often enough but love it when I do. Having the home cooked meal that requires no further work done when you get home, especially on a cruddy day, is so nice.

Saef, I've heard of Aminos, mostly as a sub for soy sauce in vegan cooking. Let me know how you like it. I do have a fair number of recipes that call for soy, and I use it liberally.

Have a good Thursday all.

bargoo
08-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Morning all,

Confession: I feel really stuck in my fitness routine right now. I know I need to garner more intensity, but just can. not. push myself to do it. I should jog with the dog more... oh, I'll walk instead. Even if I can't do upper body things bc of my shoulder, I should be doing legs, glutes, abs... and am not. I am rather frustrated with myself right now and seem unable to change my behavior. I feel like I've been using mantras like "Just do it" for so lon.

Megan, shoulda, coulda, woulda" I fall into that, too, in many areas. It's the old "I should, but....."

alinnell
08-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Megan, shoulda, coulda, woulda" I fall into that, too, in many areas. It's the old "I should, but....."

Count me in as a "coulda, shoulda, woulda."

traveling michele
08-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Wow Jen! That is phenomenal. Amazing how you have turned your life around!

ICUwishing
08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm also in the couldawouldashoulda community. It's reassuring to know I have company. The physics law is true - a body at rest tends to remain at rest. A body in motion tends to stay in motion. It requires force to get moving, and it requires force to stop - it's just rather unfortunate that the forces that cause stopping are the naturally occurring ones. :D

saef
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Megan, for me, exercise seems to be impelled by a feedback loop: I'm told that I look good, and I see and feel some results in the mirror & in the fit of my clothing, which is the positive reinforcement. And yet I'm not quite satisfied with myself and am aware this requires constant effort, so I know I'll have to work, and this motivates me to keep it up. I also know I need to change up what I do periodically and that I need aspirations.

Driving around aimlessly can be harder than heading toward a destination. Have you got a goal? Or an interest you're not pursuing?

Shannon in ATL
08-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Megan - I'm in that same loop with you. I've been telling myself, and DH, that I need to do this or that and haven't done it for so long that no one is listening anymore. I need to find a different way to communicate it.

Megan1982
08-30-2012, 02:06 PM
I need to find a different way to communicate it.

Yes! Well put. That is exactly what I need to figure out how to do. If you figure it out first... let me know!

ICUwishing
08-31-2012, 08:16 AM
saef, I have a good friend who swears by the amino acids and loves the flavor. He eats his on salads, and drizzled on baby potatoes, in BBQ sauce, on veggies ... he says it can go anywhere balsamic vinegar goes, only better.

shannon, kudos for finding a positive spot in the mammo. Wishing you a perfect outcome!

Jen, congrats on the great results! You have an absolutely amazing story. I'm guessing that you may be able to teach the dietician a few things. ;)

megan, I love that fall tease. When I leave the house at 6am, there's just a bit of crispness in the air. A few trees are beginning to get some hints of color change. DS13 said it "would be a great time to start running again, Mom." Ugh ... and ... he's right. He offered to show me some of the parkour moves he knows. (google parkour if you haven't heard of it. :eek:)

We signed the re-siding contract last night and wrote the down payment check. Threw in a new front door and added an extra window too. What the heck, it's only money, right? I didn't sleep too well. It is comforting to know that the contractor regards this as a major project and can already give me names and phone numbers for the managers assigned, and that their most experienced siding crew (of 10 crews) will be used. I am not an anxious person, and I'm confident this will be done as well as it can be done ... but it's a major life event.

saef
08-31-2012, 10:17 AM
On the phone with Con Edison, wanting to cry, because I am so frustrated. Apparently the flood and my shutting down my service and the death of our apartment complex's metering system when it was inundated wiped out any records whatsoever of this address having had an account there. So I am trying to work with a representative to set up an appointment for an inspection at an address they say does not exist -- and never existed. Even as I am holding the last bill for it in my hand. (Glad I kept that, but it's not helping.)

I said, "Look, this apartment complex has been here since 1927. Over 400 people live here. We all use Con Edison. You've got to have records somewhere. The plumber said he has submitted his report that the gas line is okay. Sorry, I cannot get off the phone till this is resolved and I have an appointment set up and acknowledgment that the address exists and can get service."

It's been 30 minutes now on the phone and counting ... the service representative is very nice but having trouble locating the trouble ticket (or whatever they would call it) and routing my inquiry.

bargoo
08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
On the phone with Con Edison, wanting to cry, because I am so frustrated. Apparently the flood and my shutting down my service and the death of our apartment complex's metering system when it was inundated wiped out any records whatsoever of this address having had an account there. So I am trying to work with a representative to set up an appointment for an inspection at an address they say does not exist -- and never existed. Even as I am holding the last bill for it in my hand. (Glad I kept that, but it's not helping.)

I said, "Look, this apartment complex has been here since 1927. Over 400 people live here. We all use Con Edison. You've got to have records somewhere. The plumber said he has submitted his report that the gas line is okay. Sorry, I cannot get off the phone till this is resolved and I have an appointment set up and acknowledgment that the address exists and can get service."

It's been 30 minutes now on the phone and counting ... the service representative is very nice but having trouble locating the trouble ticket (or whatever they would call it) and routing my inquiry.

Upward referral ! Ask for a supervisor, and if that doesn't help ask for their supervisor, in a very pleasant voice of course. I worked for a Public Utility for years and I soon learned that those who asked for my supervisor got action. The agent only has so much they can do, they are limited as to what they can offer. The manager is going to want it all to go away and will tell his subordinates "Take care of this".

alinnell
08-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Dear God! Patience and calmness are in order, and I agree with bargoo, ask for a supervisor.

I think I'm going to take Misty to the vet today. She still isn't getting over her kennel cough and she finished her 10 days of antibiotics yesterday. I want their opinion on how she's doing. Meanwhile, I did get verbal confirmation that she is heartworm negative and she doesn't have intestinal parasites, so that's all good.

ICUwishing
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
saef ... :hug: What a yucky situation - something that should have been so simple, needlessly complicated. Screw the meter - your account number could not have been "lost". Archived, perhaps, or moved to a different database, but not "lost". Idiots. I agree with pleasant request to talk to somebody with an IQ at least in the single digits.

saef
08-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Ladies, thanks for your advice. Yes, I got a supervisor, finally, though I had to be transferred to one in another division of the utility. That was the dept manager for Energy Services right in my county. That seemed promising, since a guy in that position would be pretty familiar with any storm-caused mayhem within his geographic coverage area. I called and left a message. He called back WITHIN THE HOUR, knew my case exactly, apologized a lot, said he had left notes on my fil
e which apparently the customer service rep had no visibility into. He took down info for a new account and promised to do the same for my neighbor (whom I reached out to in an email immediately). They are going to try to get this scheduled today. Oh, such relief. My lesson from this: When dealing with a big company, go local. Really local.

BillBlueEyes
08-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Sending supportive thoughts to saef for patience with meaningless bureaucracy.

I'm back from two weeks of vacation where I didn't overeat in the face of abundant food, but didn't lose any weight. Vacations ending in neutral are good enough for me.

traveling michele
08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Good update Saef. I was wondering if you were still on hold. Now to see if they come through with their promises!

My dh had an MRI of his knee yesterday and the doc called last night saying he has a torn ACL. He will have to schedule an appointment with a specialist when he gets back from his latest trip (he's on the way out of the country for 2 plus weeks) to see whether surgery or rehab is his best bet. Anyone have a torn ACL before? Wondering what your experiences were? I'm kinda worried because he is doing the Tough Mudder with me in 3 weeks and I'm hoping he doesn't make it worse.... hopefully if it's already torn it can't get worse??

saef
08-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Michele, I hate to bring this up, but should he be doing the Tough Mudder with a torn ACL? Then again, I know nothing of these physical matters except that rest is part of recuperating & the most important thing is not to exercise hard when injured. Which, as an obsessed person, I hate to accept or repeat to others.

And ladies & gentlemen, I just want to say that the superintendent was just here, with a worker from Con Ed, and the gas line is on. My stove is working.

I have a working stove.

I'm dizzy with relief. Just think, I was crying while showering this morning, out of frustration, wondering why this was so very difficult. And now I can roast a chicken if I want to.

JayEll
08-31-2012, 02:36 PM
My understanding is that it can take months to recover from a torn ACL... as many as 9 months. Yes, he can make it worse. Probably he should not do the Tough Mudder or any other strenuous exercise involving his legs until it has been repaired and/or has healed completely. Definitely discuss this with the doc. Mention the upcoming race--don't just "forget" to talk about it.

traveling michele
08-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Michele, I hate to bring this up, but should he be doing the Tough Mudder with a torn ACL? Then again, I know nothing of these physical matters except that rest is part of recuperating & the most important thing is not to exercise hard when injured. Which, as an obsessed person, I hate to accept or repeat to others.

And ladies & gentlemen, I just want to say that the superintendent was just here, with a worker from Con Ed, and the gas line is on. My stove is working.

I have a working stove.

I'm dizzy with relief. Just think, I was crying while showering this morning, out of frustration, wondering why this was so very difficult. And now I can roast a chicken if I want to.

Oh, we both know he shouldn't do it. He did talk to his doctor who of course recommended against it. He is a stubborn man. He has bought a heavy duty brace and will wear that. The tough mudder isn't a race and you are permitted to skip any obstacles that you can't or don't want to do. He will likely skip some.

And Saef-- that is fantastic!! What will you make first??

bargoo
08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
saef, I envision you in a cooking marathon, roasting vgetables, roasting chicken, cooking anything you can imagine just to be able to do it.

Megan1982
08-31-2012, 03:57 PM
That is great Saef! Roasted veggies, here you come! So glad this is finally resolved for you. :) Glad you got to talk to the local guy who could help, too.

I am hoping the 3-day weekend goes better than the last few days. BF has been grumpy and in a bad mood. Not acting that way towards me, he just says he's in a bad mood. I had multiple things break on me at work, got huge blisters on my heels (long story), my cell phone is out of commission for the weekend. Surely if people survived without these things for centuries, I can do it for a long weekend. I'm not in a terrible mood but am tired and wondering what else I can break or injure. I'm hoping BF will want to hang out this evening and we can cool off in our friend's pool - Emma likes that one, too.

I am skipping the gym today, but will get up early and walk Emma tomorrow! I have one playdate set up for her Monday and am going to try to set up another one another day. My little girl loves her friends.

alinnell
08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
So glad it worked out saef!

Michele~if it requires surgery, it will take a while to get better. I think, if it is a minor tear, rest will allow partial healing, but it does take time. And rest. Real rest. I think the usual course is surgery.

So I decided to take Misty to the vet as her cough got worse overnight. Turns out she has a minor case of pneumonia. She is now on two antibiotics and she got a liter of sub-q fluids while at the vet. If she gets worse (which isn't likely) I'll have to take her to the e-vet for a possible 1 or 2 night stay with more fluids. There was only one small spot on her xray, that's why I don't think she'll get worse. The vet was optimistic since it was such a small area.

Mudpie
08-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Sending supportive thoughts to saef for patience with meaningless bureaucracy.

I'm back from two weeks of vacation where I didn't overeat in the face of abundant food, but didn't lose any weight. Vacations ending in neutral are good enough for me.

Welcome back Bill. How was the rafting? Are you going to post some photos somewhere? Glad you got a neutral result re weight.

I am expecting an upward number when I get back Sunday. I ran out of things to do yesterday and have been eating a lot of carbs, along with my delicious apples and peaches, to partially pass the time.

I took an accidental hour-long City bus ride today and wound up winding through some beautiful orchards right at the edge of town. If I had some way to make a living I suspect DH would move here with me tomorrow.

It is fall here during the evenings and still summer at noon - weird!

Gotta go - my 10 mintues on the net in the lobby is up.

Dagmar :beach:

shcirerf
09-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Just shoot me and get it overwith.

Having well/water issues. I still have water, but well that feeds the house has caved in, so, we have another well, but the logistics of getting this all moved is a nightmare.

Pitless adaptor, $750, new pump, $400, call the digger hotline, free, local concrete company, forgot to pour the new "pit" to house the pressure tank, we ordered that over a week ago, hardware store, sold the last pump, we also ordered that, had to reorder, hardware store only had 6 joints of pipe, need 7! Who only has 7 joints of pipe?:dizzy:

And on and on.

Hub did get the well that we're moving to pulled, had to go borrow a crane from his old boss, the up side, old boss and friend did come out and help him.

In the mean time, we have a 1000 gallon water tank with a motor and hub filled it up, just in case, as he had to run torch to get the old well pulled. So dry here, worried about fire, he had some leftover water, so I got to water, fireman style!
http://http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/shcirerfj/ResizedImage_1346288004380.jpg

Anywho, a project we thought we could get done over the long weekend, isn't going to happen. Oh well.

My MIL, bless her heart has some extra canning jars and is going to loan me her pressure canner so I can get my garden stuff canned up!:D I've already got lots of dill pickles and relish, and lots of stuff still growing, despite the heat and trickle watering!

Did pick 2 small variety watermelons this morning! Breakfast!:D

saef
09-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Now that's the trouble with utilities and modern living. You get used to them. You have a lifestyle to support. One of us was gas-less, and now another of us is water-less. Being water-less is far worse, though. Good luck with this serious backyard construction project.

As for me, I'm recovering from my strenuous idea of leisure, which was walking around in the East Village yesterday, using up a gift card at a store that is closing, and seeing two movies, "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and "Magic Mike" (admittedly, a weird pairing, though both were good in completely different ways). I wore the wrong pair of loafers, ignored early warning signs and ended up pretty much rubbing the skin off the backs of my heels, despite an emergency stop at Walgreen's for band-aids and inserts for my shoes. So it's going to be sensible sneakers and backless slides for me this week.

Today I'm also going to **try to** relax, visiting some antique shops in Connecticut and spending the night at a nice hotel with a pool.

Tomorrow is a domestic goddess and catch-up-on-office-work day, which may actually be more relaxing than two days of overscheduled "fun."