PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1  

Unhappy Feeling a bit demotivated, scale is not moving down

I have insulin resistance, no PCOS (weird, I know). So back when I was on 1000 mg of metformin a day, I could easily maintain my weight a 63 kg (138 lbs.), and I even went down to 60 kg at one point (132 lbs. I think). My height is of 1.68 m (almost 5'7" I think, a little less maybe). My dream weight is around 56 - 58 kg (125 - 127 lbs).

Well, anyway, when I was diagnosed with IR, I weighed 70 kg (154 lbs). I know it doesn't sound like much, but apparently I have a small frame, because when I do that "wrist test" my middle finger easily overlaps my thumb, and I have very small, short fingers. So 70 kg made me look quite heavy. They put me on 500 mg metformin to start treatment, then increased my dose to 1000 mg, and I was at 63. Then I lost some more weight, and my doc decided to lower my dose, which made me go up to 66 kg average (145 lbs).

For almost two weeks now I've been eating clean, avoiding sugar, refined carbs and starch, having a lot of veggies and trying to get as much lean protein as I can. I also work out 5 days a week, I do 30 minutes elliptical and daily bodyweight circuit workouts from Bodyrock.tv (can't post the link, but you can Google it... don't be put off by the "too sexy" images... they have killer workouts, for free!). After these two weeks I'd finally been feeling like I'd lost some weight, so today I was tempted to weigh myself (which I avoid, because I always get disappointed). Today was no exception. I step on the scale and it reads... 67.2 kg (147 lbs)! But I DON'T FEEL I LOOK 67!! I was sure I'd gone down to 65, because to my eyes, I looked 65. I also measured my waist, and got 74 cm (29 in). There was a point when it measured 66 cm (25 in), the good old days

So now I feel discouraged, I feel like I've been paying attention to what I eat, but now I feel like maybe it's not been enough? Like I said I've been almost completely avoiding refined carbs, I've been trying to avoid or eat only tiny portions of starchy vegs, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong... I've never been lactose intolerant, so I rely on dairy a lot when it comes to protein, even then I try not to overdo dairy ('cause it has carbs), so maybe I should cut out dairy? (nooooo, I love dairy!!). And I have been working out daily... drinking a lot of water...

What I also don't get is that during the first week of clean eating and working out I was regularly going to the toilet... but this week I've been a bit constipated... I don't know why, I've been eating fiber + water... so I definitely don't know what's wrong.

I feel so ugly now, too. Not only do I have this weight that won't come off (it's all in my lower tummy, thighs, hips... I have major muffin top and small breasts so I look out of proportion). I also have hair loss... I'm starting to fear I might have low thyroid, because I'm also lethargic most of the time and have very fragile, dry skin... but when I get my yearly bloodwork, my thyroid is always normal, however I've never had a complete thyroid panel so maybe another hormone is off? I hope not, because that wouldn't be nice to have on top of the IR... sorry for the rant, I just needed to let this out somewhere where I can get a bit more support than "you're probably just imagining everything".
heartandsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't feel discouraged. But, you're within your healthy weight range for your height... which means that taking more weight off is going to be harder, especially with IR to battle with.

Do you count calories and macros?

You may have to try that route and see if you can find a pattern to weight gain/loss.

I was stuck at the 165 range and it was because even though I was eating healthy carbs (brown rice, legumes, and dairy) it was still too much. I eliminated those from diet and in the last two weeks, I've gone down about 3 lbs and I'm eating the SAME number of calories.

So, keep playing around -- you're in a healthy range, so again, it's just going to take some tweaking of your diet and exercise to figure out what helps you get a little bit lower.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #3  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Agree with Rana

Also Dairy is not great for PCOS but I have never researched it for IR (no IR)
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote