General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/286.5/199

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Eat-to-Live FEED ME

I'm getting depressed. I was on ETL for a week and lost 8 lbs, then put it back on over the course of a month off the diet. Now I'm trying to be back on it but between depression and life, I'm sabotaging myself. CONSTANTLY. Like, burgers because I'm tired of salad and tablespoons of peanut butter randomly.

I need help, I need support, and I need someone to tell me what to eat every day. Some of the stuff in the book is just gross (like the soups and the one dressing I tried that tasted like chewing on dill) and some of it is really good (enchiladas!) but I have to eliminate like half of the recipes because they're disgusting, and replace the bananas in every smoothie because I'm allergic.

I can't eat the same thing every day. I get tired of things quickly.

Help? Am I lost? Should I break down and get surgery and just be done with all of this diet crap? Because I'm getting desperate.
tweetspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

Oh I can hear your frustration. I'm sorry you are having a hard time of it.

I'll tell you what helps me is changing my mindset when it comes to food. I would rather (and I do and have for gosh 30 years?) eaten pretty much the same thing for breakfast and the same things for lunch (salad with meat or now salad with a protein shake or frozen entree--that's the diet I'm following) ANYWAY, once you decide these are the foods I can eat, then make it nonnegotiable. That works for me.

It doesn't work for my husband. He likes new things all the time. Unfortunately, as of yet he hasn't found a "diet" he likes other than calorie counting so that's what he does (although he consumes most of his calories at night which I think isn't great, but not my diet/not my decision).

Maybe peruse the library for different books and different blogs, internet sites, and stuff to get some ideas. Make it an adventure to see what you can make differently each day time permitting to get the most variety but still stay within whatever budget you set and limits you have as far as food (i.e., calories, fiber, macronutrients--whatever guidelines).

I hope someone has some more advice and something clicks. I hate being frustrated.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

I am not familiar with that diet so I cannot comment on it. But I can comment on diets in general. Losing 8 pounds is good but not if it comes back. I rather lose 10 pounds in a month than 10 pounds in a week if I know that the diet is not something I can sustain.

You have to find what works for you and commit to it as a lifestyle change. For some it is calorie counting and for some carb counting and etc. I like the taste of food and realized I have to make changes so that I could enjoy food AND life...a healthy life. For example, I like eating dirty rice/ wild rice/brown rice instead of white rice. I love red grapes more than M & Ms. I like baked potatoes more than french fries and rotisserie chicken more than fried. That is just a small list. You said you crave burgers, try a 6 inch sub which would satisfy your craving for meat and bread and then you also get vegetables.

Also being held accountable is something that is very important. Try a website (such as this one) that you log your weight in, blog, get advice and etc. Some people need one on one attention, some need to go to meetings. No one can really tell you what diet is best but you. You have got to find your niche and run with it. Once you find what works best for you..I am sure it is on this forum somewhere. EVERY THING is on this forum You can IM me if you want. I am doing a 10% challenge with myself. Best of luck!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #4  

My best advice is this: If it's not sustainable in the long run, don't do it. Seriously, if you hate that diet, don't do it. I'm not by any means saying "give up". I'm saying, make small changes you can live with for the rest of your life. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa.

What I would suggest is if you are dying for a cheeseburger, eat it. I'm not saying eat one everyday. I'm saying if you are going to feel deprived and go crazy if you can't have that cheeseburger, go for it. Cut back elsewhere that day. You may want to try an app like MyFitnessPal (what I use) or another calorie counting app or you can do them online if you don't have a smartphone so you can track how much you are taking in.

Example: For some reason yesterday when we were shopping I *REALLY* wanted these mini-eclairs. It felt important at the time. So, I bought them. I had one this morning (gross and soggy). I added it to my calorie count, I'm accountable for it. It's not going to wreck my day or my diet.

If I was dying for a cheeseburger, I would eat it. I would add it in to my calories and go on with my life. It very well may be that this Eat To Live diet (I'm not familiar with it) is just not for you. Pick again. Do something you can live with. Don't give up. It's a long haul and you are so worth it. You can do this. If you need support, come here. Find a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold and celebrate in the successes of others. Go check out the goal threads. Amazing stuff there! Plain, ordinary people are transforming their minds and bodies here. You can do it, too... just don't give up.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #5  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

you know what- i have read eat to live.

he does have some valid points- but i suggest altering his ideas.

yes the quantities of veg/fruits are great.

dressings and smoothies, whatever.

to me, it was not NEARLY enough protein. i eat on a similar concept but about 12-16 oz of protein A DAY. it's what keeps you full.

i think you should just pick out the good parts and apply some of them to a healthy eating plan
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Look for recipes, http://blog.fatfreevegan.com has a lot of eat to live friendly recipes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/149/120

Height: 5'0"

Hi! I signed up just to reply to this

I started E2L 3 weeks ago and have lost 7lbs. Not bad, but I've also started an exercise regime. The difference between me and a regular E2L person though, is that I've been vegan for 4.5 years before this. Now this didn't necessarily mean it was easy for me to start - I need this diet because I was eating way too much processed, sugary, starchy foods and gained a bunch of weight being vegan.

With E2L I look at it this way: no meat, no dairy, no oil, no sugar, no salt, limited starch. I find keeping that list helps, and I don't worry about other things like minimums as long as I get enough to eat.

There are a few things that have been my saving grace. One is indian food! I make red lentil dhal with tomatos and spinach in a big pot and it lasts me a few days and is bursting with flavour. Chickpea curry as well.

The other thing is taking recipes I already loved and just subbing out the oils and sugars and stuff.

It wont let me post links but if you google "hottie black eyed peas with collard greens" you should get one of my favourite recipes to make that is very easy.

We make scrambled tofu quite often, I've done taco style salads with black beans and veggies and cashew sour cream, we even make a "cheese" sauce with a bit of boiled carrot and potato, some ground cashew, soy milk, tahini, miso and nutritional yeast. I make a bowl with that sauce and steamed brocoli, cauliflower and chickpeas.

I think once you get a good number of recipes you like, lasting for a few weeks on this diet is much easier. When we go out I eat a lot of salads and if I can't get one without dressing I just get the dressing on the side and use only a little. If I get something in a whole wheat wrap I try and tear the excess wrap off. If you get a burger, maybe do only a bottom bun, or try a veggie burger. If you like portobello mushrooms, try one of those marinated and baked or grilled.

It's true it's a hard diet, but I think anyone can do it and the great thing about it is it's not just for weight loss, it's also so much better for your overall health. I hardly feel hungry anymore where I used to be able to eat constantly. It took about 10 days to get to that point.

The fatfreevegan dot com link is good. I also find a lot of my recipes on Pinterest and findingvegan dot com.

Good luck! I'll try to remember to check in here if there are more people doing this diet.
m1chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #8  

Michelle thanks for the hottie BE peas with collard information. I LOVE recipes like that and I think I found one that works great (and yes so do my children )
Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 156/149/120

Height: 5'0"

No problem! That site (thePPK) has a few recipes easy to modify. I like the Chickpea Picatta over mashed cauliflower. I'm going to try the chickpea flower omlette.

Also, I love making my own peanut sauce. I know you're supposed to limit nuts but I don't mind using a bit more. I just use natural peanut butter, thinned out with water and a drop of low sodium soy sauce and hot sauce (the rooster kind/sriracha). I use broth to sautee red onion, sliced portobello mushrooms, brocoli and a whole bunch of kale. Once they are cooked down I pour on the peanut sauce to coat it. I call it a warm kale salad. It's delish!
m1chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #10  

It sounds good. I've not made a peanut sauce before, but it'll be on the agenda, Right now I'm eating primarily protein shakes and frozen entrees (it's working for me) but once I start transitioning (and before as I cook for everyone nightly anyway) I've made our meals a lot more plant based, limiting grains and meat and poultry. Not eliminating, but fortunately I wasn't raised meat and potatoes or bacon and eggs. I cooked that way half the time for years but it has led to weight gain for me and my husband, so I decided I'm cooking how I was raised and less processed is that. However I started cooking a LOT of vegetarian and even vegan meals that are delish!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #11  

you have to try diet supplements any you can eat what you which and i prefer ACAI Berry because it substitute the calories you gain by any kind of food by burning these calories.so you can eat what you love and burn by using ACAI Supplements.
fighter2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #12  

Well, I don't think it's that E2L is not the diet for me, I think it's that while I made the decision to change, part of my brain has completely resisted everything, no matter the diet.

Eat To Live is pretty much a low-carb vegan diet, which is exactly what I need, because if it were up to me, I would eat nothing but bread and crackers for the rest of my life. I would forgo cake for rye bread, that's how much I love it, and I know that's not ok.

Michelle, those links are amazing, and I'm really excited to look at them and thank you so much for joining just to reply to me That was really helpful and I hope you enjoy the forums.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #13  

Oh, and Fighter, I'm not looking to eat whatever I want and lose weight. I don't want to just lose weight, I want to get healthy. That's one of the reasons why I won't do weight watchers again.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #14  

tweetspie you sound so much happier (as one can in a forum LOL). I think you're definitely on the right track, sometimes it's hard to stay motivated but those results speak for themselves! Glad to hear from you