General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default Being allowed to feel like you look good

I ventured to Ross today to get a few new pieces of clothing. My wardrobe is dismal, to say the least; especially my work attire.

It was a very positive experience. I do not enjoy clothes shopping. Well, I should say that I really enjoy the browsing and picking out of the clothing, but the trying on of the clothing I do not enjoy.

I was worried about what sizes to try on because the sizes in my closet that fit (and don't fit), vary so widely. I decided I'd try 14s across the board, Large shirts in Women's and L or XL in Juniors. Every single thing I picked fit! Or was slightly too big. I felt good in almost everything I tried.

Sometimes I feel like I'm not allowed to like the way I look yet! But I really do feel like I look pretty good. It's really nice to feel good about myself in clothing for the first time in probably 7 years.

Anyone else have similar experiences where clothes shopping was all of a sudden fun again!?

Do/did any of you feel like you were not allowed to feel like you looked good until you hit a certain number? And if so, how did you get over it?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Haha This exact same thing has happened to me I felt like I "couldn't" be happy until I was at least a size 6, but I've been feeling awesome at a size 8. Like I genuinely like the way I look, but I feel guilty for it! Like I don't "deserve" to feel/look good since I'm not smaller. Isn't it so weird how we're always trying to find reasons to not allow ourselves to be happy?

I've noticed that saying out loud to people that I'm happy with myself has helped a lot with feeling less shame about enjoying the way I look. Something about them not reacting in horror and disgust helps me feel a little better.
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

Yes ! After I lost about 20lbs I started shopping again for the first time in many years and I actually liked nearly everything. I'm over 40lbd down now and can fit into anything in a regular store pretty much, and I have a lot of fun now. We actually just had a grand opening of Ross in my area ad I bought a really cute dress from there Rverytime I go to TJ maxx I end up spending about $100, LOL. I bought two shirts and a dress for fall and 2 belts last time - err, maybe I shouldn't enjoy shopping so much.
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I sometimes feel like I "shouldn't" be satisfied with myself because other people are thinner/leaner/etc. Being in the same room as thinner women is difficult and humbling.

How stupid is that?! I am in the best shape of my LIFE right now and I just bought juniors' size 5 pants and I am getting in even better shape. I eat healthily and sleep lots and have lots of friends, a decent job and a great boyfriend and family. Life is not about waiting until some impossible or far-off goal. It's about enjoying and appreciating what you have now, seeing where you come from and what you've done to make your own life better, and important stuff like that.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 248/204/168

Height: 5' 10"

Wow, I'm going though this right now. As a professional, I have this love/hate relationship with my wardrobe and shopping. In the last few years, as I ballooned, I hated my wardrobe (think "frump") and shopping (think depressing). I would basically eat my way though the mall to feel good about myself if the clothing did not. Pretty debilitating really.

I went shopping with a girlfriend this weekend as a reward for losing 40 LBS. This is really a dangerous proposition, as the pizza in the mall where we went is really good. We found a lot of clothing in my current size (16/18) that was fashionable, stylish, and fit well.

I didn't buy everything I liked/wanted, but didn't need to buy pizza.

Question for you: I'm half way to my goal. What strategy have you taken toward wardrobe acquisition. I'm remarkably frugal, so don't want to acquire a bunch of clothing that I am going to send to goodwill, yet I want to also feel better how I look.

What should I be doing?

Jo
Jocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Oh yes me!!!

For years and years, I was just happy to find something that fit and didn't look absolutely hideous. I would cringe in the dressing room. There was so little that looked flattering. How come I couldn't look great at 275 and in a tight size 20????

Now that I'm in a 10 (and was heading into an 8 before the vacation gain last month) and not just smaller, but fitter, it's the opposite problem. I look pretty good in almost everything I try on! It's still such a shock that I want to buy everything as it's still 'rare' to feel that way. I don't buy it all, but I get the urge.

It's only been in the last couple months that I started to get pickier - "well it looks pretty good, but the crotch is cut weird" or "the color is a bit off". Like I could CARE about those things before? NOPE!

So glad it was a good experience for you today.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #7  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

A big word to all of your posts.

I used to buy all my clothes online because I hated shopping. My office is dress code is casual professional, so I wore a lot of knit dresses and skirts. Now, though, I actually enjoy clothes shopping and am one of the more stylish women in my office. Like berry, a few months ago I wanted to buy things just because I was excited that they fit, but now I'm a little pickier. And quite a bit poorer, because buying a whole new wardrobe is expensive!

I'm still not at goal but I'm probably not going to get much smaller, so I'm buying stuff that looks good now. It is nice to feel better about how I look and to have some fun shopping. (But still - pants, aargh.)
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #8  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocee View Post

Question for you: I'm half way to my goal. What strategy have you taken toward wardrobe acquisition. I'm remarkably frugal, so don't want to acquire a bunch of clothing that I am going to send to goodwill, yet I want to also feel better how I look.

What should I be doing?

Jo
I have just bought a couple things here and there, but at this point I HAVE to buy stuff. I literally have just a couple articles of clothing that are work appropriate. I also am losing slower now, so the size changes won't be happening as fast that's for sure. Thrift stores can be a great place to find in between clothes that are inexpensive.

Thanks for all of the replies. It's amazing how much better it makes me feel that others can relate.

It's funny because I was thinking -- if my 230 or 220 pound self could see me now she would be thrilled with this body, even though it's a work in progress. So I'm going to try and do myself a favor and not deny myself the enjoyment of my current body simply because it isn't my "ideal" body.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/168/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh how I HATE shopping! Now that I am close to 170lbs...and coming from being a size 6 at my smallest; it's highly depressing to go in and see all the cute clothes that won't look good on me or fit in the least.

it's just easier to wear jeans and a knit top. Simple.

Plus, now I have the post pregnancy belly that doesn't ever go away from what I hear....and all the stretch marks everywhere...doesn't really go over well in dressing rooms. My esteem goes right out the window.

I stopped shopping because I do better just using what I have and getting an occasional shirt-- that I don't need to try on. Then when I think I'm getting smaller and going back to buy pants is like a victory. Plus, now that I'm seriously working on my weight to get back down again, I don't want to spend the money on a new pair of pants and then have them be too big in a few weeks.

....one day...my joy for shopping will return. Good thing we don't have money for it anyway.
unpregnantmomma2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Jo, I am not at goal yet and have been frequenting the good will. You can find stuff in all sizes and many times very nice things if you take your time.

I have been really trying to love my self in all sizes. I have enjoyed shopping but go back and forth on loving what I find and hating it at the same time.
Now, if I buy new, I am super picky. I really actually hate the stylesout now. I think they look great on other people but I prefer to buy vintage inspired and I can't seem to find that at the mall.....I am not sure this is a legitimate fashion issue, self confidence thing or a financial thing....
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

I was never a shopper until this summer. I mitigate damages by sticking to thrift stores and eBay mainly. I have never in adulthood been a single digit size before Christmas 2011 and now I have clothes from 2-10 in my closet. I feel confident that clothes fit and look good and I guess that manifest itself as a desire to shop. I am jealous of women that have had that confidence at any size.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. It's amazing how much better it makes me feel that others can relate.

It's funny because I was thinking -- if my 230 or 220 pound self could see me now she would be thrilled with this body, even though it's a work in progress. So I'm going to try and do myself a favor and not deny myself the enjoyment of my current body simply because it isn't my "ideal" body.
No, thank you for starting the thread. I'm loosing slower too, but I got to tell you all that if I get down to a size 10/12 it will be the first time since I was a teenage. Clothing was such an important part of my life, and it's starting to be again. LOL... I'll happy reward myself with clothing, not a snack.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunrio View Post
I was never a shopper until this summer. I mitigate damages by sticking to thrift stores and eBay mainly.
Oh yeah... I've a confirmed eBay junkie..... must buy more, now....

Last edited by Jocee; 08-23-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

What a great thread, LockItUp. I can't really add anything new to what the other posters have written, but I wholeheartedly agree about the experience. Like all women, there are certain things that look good on me, and some that will never look good no matter how small I got and how stylish they are on the mannequin or other women. A lot of that has to do with style, cut, etc. However, even knowing this, I still get a rush just by having the OPTION to try the clothes on, knowing that I fit in regular sizes. Sure, something may look *****y on me, but it's been a long time since I've had to pass an item up simply because I couldn't fit into the available sizes.

BTW, not a big shopper either, but knowing I'll have no trouble finding things makes it less of a headache and much less likely I'll end up in tears in some random dressing room due to 'fat frustration.' Oh, the exception to my fashion inertia is, ironically, workout and running clothes. At times I have a better workout wardrobe than my day-to-day wardrobe.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

What a great thread! I always hated shopping for clothes unless I'm absolutely slim because of being high waisted (thank God for low-rise!) pants were a huge problem for me no matter what. But I have to say I have had to go through two sizes already (only 30 pounds, but on a short person that's a lot) in pants. Fortunately, I can use shirts I have through the years (or is that unfortunate?). I so remember and still remember the "well it fits, get it" crap and while I'm still "kinda" there, I also remember after my last baby I got down to high school size (I didn't really do anything differently food wise than I do now except for once a week I ate Wendy's lol) I was SO excited to shop. I actually called my boss from the dressing room to say I was in I think it was size 4 jeans. So stoked.

So while right now I'm not even close to that yet, I remember and this thread is keeping me on track. Thanks for posting everyone!
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote