Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #1  

Default Breads

I can diet with no problem as long as I'm not limited on my bread. I love it. Question is, as long as it's whole grain, how often should you being eating it a day? I like having toast in the morning, then maybe for lunch a sandwich. When is it too much?
Determined Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #2  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

The answer is going to depend upon what kind of plan you are on. Folks on low-carb will most likely tell you that's too much. Folks on calorie counting will tell most likely say that if you can eat that much without going over your calories, feeling too hungry, or stiffing yourself on important nutrients, then go for it.

The one thing I would caution you about is not to fool yourself about how much better for you whole grain bread is. It's still bread - it might have a gram more fiber and protein than refined white bread but it's still mostly empty carbohydrate calories.

Having said that, I eat a sandwich on whole grain bread for lunch almost every day (I'm a calorie counter), and I have managed to lose 120 pounds - so it's not like I think the stuff is evil. Just don't go overboard in thinking that it's healthy because it's whole grain. That's largely marketing hype, in my opinion.

Personally, I find bread too calorie-dense to eat at more than (at most) one meal a day, as much as I love it. I'd rather spend the calories on something with more volume, like fruit, or more protein, or just an enormous pile of vegetables roasted with olive oil. But if you like it, and it fits into your plan, and doesn't trigger cravings, then by all means fit it in. The only way to know is to do the experiment yourself - try it for a few weeks and see how it goes.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Bread, like many other carbs, just leaves me with a bigger appetite. I can't really eat the stuff, and don't miss it when I'm avoiding it.

But FYI, the 35 calorie whole wheat and extra fiber breads are really good and easy to fit into a calorie budget (even if you eat a lot of bread).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote