Living Maintenance - Weekly chat August 20-26

View Full Version : Weekly chat August 20-26

Mudpie
08-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Bill is rafting on the Colorado River for 2 weeks - :woohoo:. He asked me to start this and next week's thread. I will be away next week so could someone else do it next week?

Good week all! Enjoy your vacation Bill!

Dagmar :dizzy:

saef
08-20-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm Upstate, back from spin class, about to shower and then start packing up the car. I'm unhappy and I am heading back to my newly established home downstate one day early, in hopes that I feel better once I'm there.

I'm feeling like I belong in neither place, and like I'm not sure what the point of my life is, really. What is all this activity and worry and planning actually for, and what is it getting me?

Sometimes the long drive and the time for contemplation helps with these moods.

shcirerf
08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Happy Monday!:D

paperclippy
08-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi guys! We had our cooking club over for dinner last night. I made corn ice cream, which was interesting -- basically kind of like frozen creamed corn. My weight is up like four pounds from Friday. :p A gain that big that fast must be water weight, and I did eat a bunch of salty food. Hopefully it will evaporate just as quickly.

Saef, I hope you feel better downstate.

Carter was very good last night with our company even though we had four people we hadn't met before. We kept him on his gentle leader until everyone had been inside for a few minutes, then when we let him go he was content to sniff around and beg for people to pet him. Success!

alinnell
08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Good morning.

I'm sure someone will step up to the plate next Monday, Dagmar. Whoever gets here first will get the job done.

I had a little freak out this morning. Signed onto Facebook and read all these posts from friends about their kids' first day of school today. Yikes! Today? Nope, checked the calendar, Nicky starts next Monday. Whew!

My weight was artificially low on Saturday, I'm sure it was from sleeping in so late (wow, 6:30). Back up to 151 this morning at my usual 5 AM wake-up time. I would like to see it back to the 140s this week, however.

Wednesday I'm planning a trip to San Diego to meet some dogs. So far, I'll see three, perhaps up to five or even six, if all goes well.

Mudpie
08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Just spent 35 minutes unsuccessfully trying to buy concert tickets to a basically pretty small local group. Life in the big city - very frustrating! I'm having a kinda slow day so far and don't quite know what to do with myself after all the frenzy of last week. Things kick into high gear again tomorrow.

I'm up 2 lbs. - normal for a live-in, particularly without much diversion and with a lot of attention required by the puppy. Glad to be home and will be back OP for the rest of the week.

I'm going to try something new and try to DIET while on vacation. The place I'm going is known for its fruit, rather than for haute cuisine, so this might just be possible. If I'm successful it'll be the first time I come back from vacation weighing less.

Dagmar :cool:

traveling michele
08-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Good morning maintainers!

Boy have I missed everyone. That's a good sign I guess.

Dh and I returned yesterday sans daughter. We left her in Arizona for her freshman year of college. So hard. She doesn't share much with us but we can tell she is horribly nervous. Such a big school and she doesn't know anyone. Classes start today so hopefully she will soon make some new friends.

Older dd had some hard news while we were gone. The service dog that has been being trained for her has had an injury. He will likely need surgery and therefore won't be ready for her in September as planned. She is talking to the director this morning but will likely opt to switch to another dog. We are too worried that the first dog (Owen) will have problems down the road-- he has torn a ligament-- IF he can still be a service dog it would take at least another 6 months to rehab and then retrain him. There is another dog that is partially trained that could probably be ready in a few months. Dd is heartbroken as she has been imagining her life with Owen. Hopefully she'll feel better today after talking to the director.

My weight is up due to all of our restaurant meals and not enough exercise. I'm hoping to get refocused now that I'm home.

I'm also back at work full time as of today. Hopefully that will keep me distracted from missing dd too terribly. I'm glad that dh will be around for a couple of weeks so the house won't seem too quiet.

alinnell
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
So I guess I'll need to go home and check the serial numbers on our toilets. Did you all hear about the potential exploding toilet recall? 2.9 toilets made between 1997 and 2008 in all sorts of brands.

krampus
08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
michele, I remember when I went away to college my dad called me my second night in IN TEARS. It's gotta be tough.

Calm before the storm. My best friend from Japan arrives for a 5 day visit (she's also seeing her boyfriend in DC) on Wednesday. Things are gonna get crazy.

alinnell
08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I still have another year with DS before he leaves for school. I'm hoping he chooses a school nearby (hoping he gets into UCI) but this weekend we were discussing schools and he thinks it'd be "way cool" to go to school "somewhere back east". Let's keep it close, boy!

shcirerf
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
So, glad my kids are grown. I think that first year of college was harder on me than it was on them. But since I have twins I got it all at once.

Exploding toilets? Weird.

The garden is finally starting to produce something besides yellow squash. Picked a few yellow wax beans yesterday and enough cucumbers for a small batch of dill pickles. I have one tater plant that's looking kind of pitiful, and I'm out of taters, so I'm going to dig it up tonight.

The foster dog is doing well. I think in another week or so, I'll start looking for a home for her again. She's settling and getting used to being around other dogs, that was her biggest issue.

Mudpie
08-20-2012, 05:00 PM
So I guess I'll need to go home and check the serial numbers on our toilets. Did you all hear about the potential exploding toilet recall? 2.9 toilets made between 1997 and 2008 in all sorts of brands.

Seriously? Seriously? :rofl: I'm sorry :o, I think I'm overcaffeinated or something but this strikes me as totally hilarious.

Dagmar :lol3: :hyper: :coffee2:

alinnell
08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Not going to San Diego on Wednesday after all. One of the dogs I wanted to see has pneumonia and is in isolation so no visitors. I'll probably go on Saturday to the adoption event instead.

saef
08-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Back in my apartment, which is once again in disarray, with boxes on the floor. The stuff has to be taken out & put away in its proper place, but it's nearly 8 PM and I find myself tiring out rapidly.

Now I'm glad I drove back a day earlier than planned, because I'll have tomorrow to get things into order before I go back to work on Wednesday.

I desperately need something fun tomorrow, also, to raise my spirits. I can't make it into Manhattan yet, but just you wait.

shcirerf
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Saef, your stuff will be in your apartment whenever you decide to get around to tackling it. Sometimes it's just better to take a break and ignore things for a bit.

AS much as I hate the end of summer and the onset of fall, I do get some relief in the change of seasons, as I keep defensive stats for my sons high school football team on Friday nights. This is an all expense paid by me deal, except for getting into the games free, but I love it and it's some free time to not have to worry about anything else but counting tackles and sacks, and fumble recoveries and such. All of my day to day responsibilities go bye bye, for a few hours, and I just get to focus on something I enjoy!:D

THe DH and I did a few prep things for the Labor Day well issue this evening. I really am not comfortable running the back hoe. Have to really focus on the DH and all the hand signals! Lever A, Lever B? Forward, Backward, towards your knee? God help me!

Did get in a good workout tonight. And Friday I'm outta here for a football game! Got my pencil sharpened and I'm ready for a few hours off.

Mudpie
08-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Usually I like fall - easier to work outside when not broiling in the sun and humidity. This fall I will have my father's final days at his house to deal with. I am dreading this but it has to be done. I hope he goes fast or that my cousin the doctor can convince him to move into assisted care.

Sometimes I hate being an only child and having no relatives or friends to draw on. Funny that - one cousin is a doctor and the other used to be a social worker. Both are wealthy people. Neither one is stepping forward with any sort of help I can use.

All the responsibility falls on me. And I can't access a phone by day so that makes it even more complicated.

I have already been eating to relieve stress. DH isn't helping with his new web page creation (excused as a work project) fixation. Another way for him to avoid helping me or to start his fitness/diet plan.

I am going to try to forget about all this for next week and try to enjoy a bit of my vacation. I know I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of research and stuff but I don't fully believe DH is going to make it to this place with me.

So I'm going to do a lot of walking. And sitting and enjoying the sensation of not having a to-do list or a bunch of stuff nagging at me to get done.

Dagmar :tired:

ICUwishing
08-21-2012, 08:35 AM
saef, it's not pointless. Your apartment is rebuilt, yet it's not a home. That will come. When you first moved in, there were probably some of the same feelings? You've gone through legitimate trauma; healing takes some time. You've spoken well of your therapist - are there any opportunities to get some personal support for dealing with the multitude of emotions? Contemplation's wonderful, if your thinking is organized and healthy. My own realities are out of focus and I sometimes cause myself even more trouble when I try to think my way out of things. Having a grounded, rational place to bounce my odd thoughts has been a much shorter path - keeps me from going too far astray.

Jessica, I've had tomato ice cream, but not corn. I'll bet it was terrific - corn is so sweet!

Allison, I had a dream about the very same thing the other night - woke up in a cold sweat because I'd forgotten to take DS to his first day of school. :D I'll have to look up the exploding toilet thing. When I'm not drinking coffee. :lol3: Really? Re the college talk, I'm glad that my DS has fallen in love with my alma mater, Michigan Tech, but he's going to have to really come to the party academically if he's serious. 7th grade was not exactly a stellar year per the numbers.

Dagmar, where is it you're headed on vacation? I find I can only relax now when I get away from my house; otherwise I'm constantly kicking myself for not getting more done. Agree with you that fall is the best season. I can also relate to the only-child stuff. Many things are simpler, but taking care of parents ... phew, it's tough. Mine (cross fingers) are still in good health so far, and both have taken pains to document how they want things done.

Michele, sorry to hear about the dog delays. I know you've been working hard to make this happen.

krampus - a little crazy is good for the soul. :)

Janelle, our garden is beginning to overflow too. The beans are on, we are swimming in early tomatoes, and there's kale, collards, and chard going. Our potatoes came out well, except for a long split in each one that's skinned over. It almost looks like the split in a dinner roll, when you slash the top before baking. :shrug: Each potato has it. Makes them a bear to peel! DH just put in the fall broccoli and lettuce. He's playing with some fresh fermentations, so we've had a bit of fresh sauerkraut, and a small crock of pickles. Planning a bout of canning this weekend - either tomato juice or stewed tomatoes. I envy you your backhoe. :D Driving one is on my bucket list.

I've been slow getting out of the gate this week. We had a 50th birthday event on Sunday night for one of DH's friends, and that screwed up the very critical good (or at least long) night's sleep going into Monday. Tonight is DS's dentist appt, pickup for housekeeper visit on Wed and packing DS up for choir camp. Maybe grab a swim. It will be a long week - there's something on the schedule every single night. It's all accelerating toward the start of the school year and I'M NOT READY!!! :dizzy:

alinnell
08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm a little sad this morning. I was planning to go to San Diego to meet some dogs but the one I'm most interested in has come down with pneumonia and is in isolation so I can't meet him. We may go to the adoption event on Saturday and if we don't find what we like there we'll see if anyone is heading toward the shelter where this dog is so we can see him then (usually they get out of isolation within a couple days, but he might not be well enough to go to the event).

DD informed me she's coming for Labor Day weekend! My BF from SLC is coming that weekend, too, so we should have a good weekend then.

I'm going to have to see if I can get into my stylist a week early. 6 weeks between haircuts is too long! I think it's only been four and I need one now (yeah, my hair does grow really fast).

bargoo
08-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Allison, I thought about you yesterday, had to go for monthly IV treatment as I was coming into the hospital I saw a lady coming out with a handsome,black lab, he is a therapy dog. A beautiful boy ! I wanted to stop and talk to her but didn't have time.

Shannon in ATL
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Allison - I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with the adoption process. You wouldn't think it would be this complicated to adopt a dog, as many as are out there needing homes.

Bargoo - how is your treatment going, if you don't mind me asking? I've been in and out of hospitals a lot this last two weeks and it brought you into my mind.

Saef - oh sweetheart, my heart breaks reading your posts this week. I know that this has been a hard year for you, and instead of getting easier being back in your own home it is instead adding more to the lost feelings. I have to believe that it will get easier as you get more settled, and I agree that those things will all be there when you get to them. Don't rush yourself to tackle the minutae, try instead to reconnect with the joy of your space. Definitely get out into Manhattan, take in a play, reconnect with your existence. Becky is right, you suffered a loss and are now right back into the same place having to deal with the stress over again. I guess this is why so many people sell their houses and move after the death of a loved one. My thoughts are with you. :hug:

Becky - ah, the joys of a busy parent during the school year. I'm not ready either, and I'm two over a week into the school year already.

Janelle - I am not fond of driving a back hoe either. Luckily I moved to the city and don't find myself helping my grandfather on his farm anymore. :)

Dagmar - I'm sorry about your dad. That entire situation is a hard one. Try to enjoy your vacation and not worry before you have to worry.

My grandmother is home from the hospital, the endoscope and the colonoscopy came back clean so they are looking for other tests to try to explain the low blood count. She's in good spirits, though a little tired. Says she is almost 79, she is pretty much always tired. I get that. I'm tired, too.

I am going to continue my work on simplfying and breaking patterns this week. I've realized that my workout program was too complicated and time consuming, so I was using that as an excuse to skip it. I'm going back to a more compact metabolic workout followed by some cardio, going to try to get my runs longer again on at least one of them per week. I'm two days into the week and haven't gotten up for yoga, but if I can get it in tonight and then keep it up I've only missed one day this week. Here is my quandry - when I get up and exercise or do yoga I feel better all day. Yet, when the alarm goes off I make excuses to get that extra 30-60 minutes of sleep and turn it off. Inevitably I then feel icky for at least a few hours in the morning. I need to remember how to trick my head into getting out of the bed. Or have DH shove me out of it. One way or another. :)

bargoo
08-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Bargoo - how is your treatment going, if you don't mind me asking? I've been in and out of hospitals a lot this last two weeks and it brought you D :)

Shannon, thanks for asking, treatment is going OK . Doctor increased IV from every 3 months to once a month, this is not necessarily bad news. All in all I don't feel that bad.I'm still able to "suit up and show up" every day.

traveling michele
08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
I posted in last week's thread. Oops... so tired....

Here is what I posted there which kind of explains my posting in the wrong place:

Insomnia....sigh....
I can't take allergy or cold meds with "D" in them. I've been taking Allegra D 12 hour in the morning and not having any issues. I ran out and they only had the 24 hour Allegra D. I took it two days in a row and haven't slept in 2 days. I'm not taking it again! I took a Zyrtec today instead so hopefully that works.

This morning I have a staff retreat with teambuilding, breakfast, etc. Rather than going in so early, I don't have to leave until 8:15. I thought I would sleep in. I guess not.

Shannon in ATL
08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Michele - I can't the 'd' before bed either. The pseudoephedrine keeps me up all night. I can fall asleep initially, then pop wide awake after two hours and don't sleep solidly the rest of the night.

Mudpie
08-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Michele - I can't the 'd' before bed either. The pseudoephedrine keeps me up all night. I can fall asleep initially, then pop wide awake after two hours and don't sleep solidly the rest of the night.

If anyone watches "Breaking Bad" I believe pseudoephedrine (called "pseudo" on the show) is one of the prime ingredients in "street meth" - no wonder you guys can't sleep! :hyper:

Mudpie
08-23-2012, 05:36 AM
I have fallen into an old pattern this week. Short version: too much work :stress:, too much caffeine :coffee2: to cope with work, crash, eat until I drop, poor sleep due to binge eating in evening, wash, rinse, repeat. :tired:

I guess I feel guilty :shrug: for going away to enjoy myself for a week. DH is sulking and moping. There's the stuff with my father - I keep thinking I "should" be doing something for his arrival. So I'm eating to "spoil" my vacation because I will feel fat and frumpy while on it.

FRACK!!! :tantrum:

I just threw out all my hidden stashes of junky food. I will eat clean until my departure Monday morning. That should take care of the bloat I've put on in the past few days.

I work hard all the time - days, evenings, weekends on the job plus all the house stuff plus errands for my dad plus, plus, plus. I have been totally exhausted for most of 2012.

I'm going to take next week and spend it enjoying just living. No schedule, no routine, no phone calls, no email. Just get up every day and do stuff I want to do.

Dagmar :yoga:

ICUwishing
08-23-2012, 07:53 AM
dagmar, I still fall into the trap of "being guilty of feeling good." It's a real puzzle. Glad you found the wherewithall to purge the junk, and recognize what's going on. :hug: Don't let DH's pouting drag you down - you need a recharge and it will be easier to be a better partner after you fill your own needs.

The bids are done and the decision is all but made - we are re-siding our house in cement composite, using a contractor who guarantees their work for however many years we stay in the house, be it 10 years or 40. That level of workmanship doesn't come cheap (and it shouldn't). The saga with the delaminating doorwalls continues; I'm jumping through the last of the hoops to submit the warranty claims. I am required to provide some photographs of the doors, and rightfully so ... it's just that catching them in the right morning light to capture all their horrible glory is something that has to wait for the weekend. I am up and gone too early on the weekdays. The prospect of wiping out the majority of our non-retirement savings is causing me some insomnia, so count me among the :tired:!

alinnell
08-23-2012, 09:18 AM
If anyone watches "Breaking Bad" I believe pseudoephedrine (called "pseudo" on the show) is one of the prime ingredients in "street meth" - no wonder you guys can't sleep! :hyper:

I just bought the first season of Breaking Bad and we watched the first two episodes last night. Intriguing show. But meth labs are what caused all pharmacies here to only allow you to buy two cold medicines at a time AND you have to show ID and have it recorded in a book first. Stupid drug dealers.

The bids are done and the decision is all but made - we are re-siding our house in cement composite, using a contractor who guarantees their work for however many years we stay in the house, be it 10 years or 40. That level of workmanship doesn't come cheap (and it shouldn't). The saga with the delaminating doorwalls continues; I'm jumping through the last of the hoops to submit the warranty claims. I am required to provide some photographs of the doors, and rightfully so ... it's just that catching them in the right morning light to capture all their horrible glory is something that has to wait for the weekend. I am up and gone too early on the weekdays. The prospect of wiping out the majority of our non-retirement savings is causing me some insomnia, so count me among the :tired:!

Cement composite--is that like stucco? Most of the homes out here are stucco. Basically the house is framed, and then insulated and then "wrapped" with some weatherproof stuff (Tyvek) and then they put up a wire mesh to hold the stucco and then spray the stucco on and then paint. It's quite a good insulator. Even when we've had the power go out in the middle of the summer, the house never gets above 85 degrees.

traveling michele
08-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I just bought the first season of Breaking Bad and we watched the first two episodes last night. Intriguing show. But meth labs are what caused all pharmacies here to only allow you to buy two cold medicines at a time AND you have to show ID and have it recorded in a book first. Stupid drug dealers.

One of my teacher friends was just telling me about this show yesterday. Here you can only buy one cold or allergy med at a time and you have to show ID. Frustrating. And dd can't buy her own even though she is in college because she is 17!

I slept well last night though! Still got up a few times to pee but I'd had tons of liquids after bikram yoga. At least I was able to go back to sleep!

bargoo
08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I have trouble sleeping, too. I got some ZZZQuil the new sleepaid by the makers nof NyQuil. I took the prescribed dose, woke up in the middle of the night, completely disoriented, didn't know if it was day or night or where I was I was totally confused , wasn't sure what to do for a few minutes before I realized it was night, I was in my bedroom and wanted to go to sleep.

saef
08-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Now sleep is one area where I've been making progress. I am getting used to my new bed in the guest room, and only wake up maybe twice in the night. It helps not to drink any caffeine after 4 PM and to try to shut my mind off from the tape loop of worries and admonitions and to-do lists.

And yes, guilt over feeling good is a sensation with which I am quite familiar. Like I'm not supposed to feel too good for too long, and if I'm caught at it, I will be punished with something unpleasant. Like: "Why are you smiling? Don't you have a job to do?"

I'm struggling with flexibility just now. My boss just told me today that she wants me to come in Friday to help her conduct an interview. I really look forward to working from home on Fridays and downshifting, which includes time to cook something & a longer session at the gym. Now I have to rethink that & it is making me unhappy and tense.

ICUwishing
08-23-2012, 12:00 PM
allison - no, it's not stucco. There are two big manufacturers - James Hardie and CertainTeed. Most the advertising refers to it as fiber cement composite. It's a formed product that mimics the look of any other siding. They even have a pattern that resembles the stucco! The one we're using will be similar in appearance to the T-111 (cedar plywood) siding that we have now. While it's brittle and difficult to install, once it's put up, it's very, very durable. And if the color is applied in the factory, it has a 25 year warranty against fade/flake, etc. I think the reason we don't have a lot of stucco in Michigan is the freeze/thaw cycle - one chink in the armor, and it's in trouble.

Megan1982
08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know what type of doctor one goes to for a shoulder injury? An orthopetic something? This happened slowly over the past several months of lifting at the gym, not at any one moment, but I'm wary of a rotator cuff injury and if something really is wrong, don't want to make it worse by ignoring it. Twice in the past six months I've "rested" my shoulder from any lifting for 1-2 weeks because it's been bothering me, this is the third time and it feels worse and the discomfort is lasting longer. I will probably have to go to the city 80 miles away to get it looked at. Oh well... I could use a real haircut, too.

I've resigned myself to being a cardio queen for a while. Of course I can still do a lot of abs and core work, and lower body, just need to kick myself to do it. NRLW will have to be on semi-permanent hold. It calls for a lot of upper body stuff.

Michele, Shannon, I hear what you're saying. I also take the "D" cold meds. They work so much better than their totally ineffective reformulated counterparts. I have to take ClaratinD 12-hour, not 24 hour, early in the day. Sometimes on really bad days I add a little Sutafed D, or take the Sutafed D when I'm only feeling really mild allergies. If I take them too late they keep me up at night. I usually only get fall allergies and felt a niggling itch in my throat last weekend, so I ran to check my supply of "D" meds. Because I can't buy too much at once, and have to sign away my first born to get them, so I need to plan ahead. Dagmar I do sound like a junkie needing my fix, lol. Life is just so miserable when allergies are miserable - and from what I've seen from my Mom & DS, I have the mildest ones in the family.

All eyes here are on TS Isaac as the current forecast path sets him landing squarely on my house. I'm definitely going to cook a bunch this weekend so I won't be trying to grill in the rain during this hurricane party, like the last one. I love hurricane season (not). :dizzy:

Saef, I completely understand what you mean about struggling with flexibility. I think I am a very linear thinker, so if my schedule is changed sometimes planning how else my schedule will go helps set my brain at ease (e.g. I can roast the veggies Thursday night, and spend more time at the gym Saturday morning). It will be ok, though, it's just one day at the office.

Dagmar, your plans, or lack of, for next week sound wonderful. Do enjoy yourself!

Michele, I'm sorry to hear about your DD's service dog. These kinds of delays and needing to reschedule dogs does happen, unfortunately. My parents dog was supposed to be a seeing eye dog. He went through most of his training and did well but would pee when he was supposed to be "working" - and knew he was supposed to be working, so apparently he would sort of waddle and trickle while he was leading his trainer down the sidewalk. They couldn't break him of it, and the person he was assigned to had to be given a different dog. I'm sure your DD's new dog will be wonderful, even if waiting a bit longer seems tough.

My I'm long-winded today. Ok. Gonna stop blathering now. :blah: Have a good one all!

ICUwishing
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Megan, I originally visited an orthopedic surgeon for mine. He tested every range of motion, poked, prodded, and sent me for an MRI. Mine was ruled tendonitis caused by impingement. I also have a confounding cause in my C7/T1 vertebrae ... longer story. He said he could go in and cut some bone away to make more room, but shoulder surgery sucks (his words) and that I should explore every possible avenue of relief first. A sports medicine specialist would be a great consult - if you can find out where the nearest professional sports teams go, that's a bonus. Always good to follow the money - their goal is fast, complete rehab! GOOD LUCK - shoulder pain is a true PIA, give or take a couple of feet. :D

alinnell
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Megan~yeah, orthopedic doctor or possibly someone in the sports medicine field for a shoulder injury. I don't know for certain, but I believe that most minor rotator cuff injuries can heal themselves with the proper rest. I suspect I've injured mine a couple of times and when I do, the pain is pretty bad to the point that I have to immobilize it while I sleep (so I don't inadvertently try to put my arm above my head while sleeping as that is excruciating and of course wakes me up with the pain).

Good luck with the tropical storm! I think I'd be in a total panic.

JayEll
08-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Megan, it could also be something as simple as bursitis, which is also nagging and uncomfortable. Certain kinds of lifting or lifting motions can make that flare up. But definitely have it checked out. I agree with the suggestion of a sports orthopedist as a consultant doc. Be aware, however, that anyone with "surgeon" in their title wants to do surgery and likes to recommend it. That's why they went that direction.

Jay

alinnell
08-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Also, Megan~my MIL had rotator cuff surgery. The pain post-surgery was worse than the pain of the injury. Had she known what the recovery was going to be like she would have opted for resting instead of surgery. But at the time she wanted it fixed so she could golf. Turns out it took 2 years to heal to the point where she could golf comfortably.

Rest followed by PT might be a better alternative.

I'm still amazed at what my daughter got out of PT when she injured her foot/ankle running. She had always been a clumsy runner and after going to an amazing therapist was taught proper form and now she runs and it looks so natural rather than clumsy.

ICUwishing
08-23-2012, 03:21 PM
I feel very lucky that I got a surgeon who wasn't knife-happy. Physical therapy did get me to 90% better, because I was definitely unbalanced (chest much stronger than back due to swimming). The second PT spotted that right away - my collarbone being very prominent tipped her off. Over the long haul, I did have to deal with the neck problem, and still do when things get out of line. I try to remember to get to my chiro once a month for that. I have a good friend who's a maniacal tennis player - she recovered a bad rotator cuff tear through lots of rest. It can be done!

Shannon in ATL
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Megan - I have had some rotator cuff issues too, from impingement. They seem to repair themselves with rest and therapy exercises. My grandmother tore her rotator cuff and apparently continued to live with it torn for a number of years, tearing it further here and there until one day she couldn't handle the pain anymore and had surgery. I wonder if she had done some pt early it would have healed - the early part of the tear had apparently started to repair itself when they went in to look at it.

paperclippy
08-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Megan, I'd start with a sports medicine specialist. They will refer you to an ortho if you need it.

traveling michele
08-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Good luck Megan with the shoulder and the impending hurricane!

I'm going to see a specialist next week for my hip. Of course since I scheduled my appointment 2 months ago, the hip feels much better (after hurting for months and months). I'm going to keep the appointment because the xrays showed some things so I want to the doctor to explain to me. Since then, my back has been hurting but I think it is finally resolving itself.

I'm worried about my doggie, Jozi. She is my 8.5 year old Great Dane. She has been doing some coughing and the vet had previously diagnosed a heart murmur. I'm worried she may be starting with congestive heart failure but I know that meds can help alleviate the symptoms. I'm bringing her to the vet tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to try to juggle Dewey (the dachshund) at the same time as they both need bordatellas for boarding-- should be an interesting sight at the vet!

Mudpie
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
OK. It is August 23. I just saw big packages of those little candy bars for Halloween at my local grocery. I think they are using the "back to school" snacks excuse but - REALLY?

ICUwishing
08-24-2012, 08:43 AM
michele, good luck with Jozi - I hope your fears are unwarranted.

dagmar, ugh - really? Like a kid needs garbage in his lunch for school?

megan, yes, dittos on best wishes for Isaac missing you!

I'm picking up DS13 from his 3-day choir camp. There's a mini-concert at 4:30 to show off their "extensive and intensive" rehearsals. Sounds like he might have been placed in the Alto section this year, even though with a warmup he can still hit high A's and B's with ease. Quite a few of last year's altos had to move to the tenor/bass sections! Also on deck, this morning I have to make the phone call to launch our re-siding project. :eek:

saef
08-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Dagmar, recently I was looking at a large craft store called Hobby Lobby for two gilded letters, both the same. (It's the number of my apartment, which is a double letter. I wanted to put them on the door.) But they only had one letter. When I asked the clerk if there were more letters stored away, other than what was on display, she said, "No, all our storage is filled up with Christmas stuff."

So it's there already. I should just be grateful that it's not yet out on display.

Probably they're just waiting for Halloween to pass before they put it out, as Halloween is likely a very craft-y holiday with all its special decor & parties & costume-wearing.

I can feel summer ending, with these cool nights, earlier darkness and later mornings, and raucous insect chorus. I feel as though I have almost entirely missed it while being preoccupied by moving and resettling. So I am not in a hurry to get to Halloween right away. And definitely not to get to Christmas.

Megan1982
08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations. I found an orthopedic clinic referred by a physical therapy place that had been recommended by two friends, and after vacillating between "I'm just being silly and wimpy" to "you need to make sure nothing serious is wrong" I made an appt in about three weeks, their earliest opening. Even if the pain has subsided I will go, bc this keeps coming back. (Obviously I'm telling myself here! I do not like doctors, and I was raised in the school of thought of if bone is not visible and blood is not gushing, you don't need to go.)

BF is getting his boats ready for a possible storm surge, and other than making sure I've got more batteries and clean out the fridge better than the last time around with TS Debby, I will probably enjoy a nice sunny day at the beach tomorrow with friends. Oh, and I will try to wear out the dog before the downpours, lol. They are only forecasting Isaac to be a cat 1 when he comes to shore, so we will probably lose power, but nothing too extreme.

Saef, I'd imagine the city is not at its finest during summer. Perhaps it's not a terrible season to miss? But fall, ah, fall will be lovely with its cool weather.

Becky, you are making me remember my own childhood choir rehearsals, camp, district choirs, etc... Sometimes directors need to shift voices around to balance sections, even if one can since another voice part as well.

Michele, how did your vet appt go for Jozi? Please let us know what you found out.

Surely it isn't time for Halloween and fall yet. I did step out of the house this morning and it was actually pleasant to be outside. Usually August is still very warm and muggy here in FL, so today was unusual. I really hope to get to Georgia or North Caroline this fall to see some colors.

traveling michele
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Michele, how did your vet appt go for Jozi? Please let us know what you found out.

Pretty well overall. She actually needs to go on a reverse diet though as she weighed 106 pounds, which was down from 117 last time, and she was 128 1.5 years ago. She is looking pretty emaciated. Her heart murmur was only slightly worse than a year ago so the vet wasn't too concerned-- she said that could definitely be causing her coughing episodes. Her teeth are horrible and they have a traveling dental clinic (without anesthesia) that just happened to be coming today and had an opening! So I left her to get her teeth cleaned. She is ready to be picked up so I'll get her after work and see what they say. Now I just need to encourage her to eat a little more. Dewey clocked in at a still chunky 16.5. I really need to make it a priority to walk him more.

alinnell
08-24-2012, 03:36 PM
If you need tips on getting Jozi to gain some weight, let me know. I have TONS of ideas! And they all worked for Chico (LOL--now he's a bit on the fat side!).

Megan1982
08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Michele, I'm glad to hear Jozi's heart murmur hasn't gotten worse. A little weight gain shouldn't be too hard. Good news!

Mudpie
08-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Megan Your family and mine have the same attitude re doctors. The thing is one of my cousins IS a doctor. But he specialized in anaesthesia so he wouldn't have to talk to the patients much. LOL.

Mudpie
08-25-2012, 04:09 PM
I am now officially on holiday until Sept 4. :woohoo: :dancer:

I just checked and the hotel I'm staying at in Kelowna has a heated indoor pool. I went right out and bought myself $2 shower shoes and will pack my bathing suit. I am going to make a point of swimming every day, a luxury I don't have in Toronto. And it's not going to be endless laps, like I did eons ago for speed swimming. It's going to be pleasure swimming. Mostly the breast stroke and slooowly.

I also plan to walk everywhere and go for a hike in Knox Montain park, which is a large park situated just off of their downtown. I will not be taking any local dogs along. :lol3:

No dinner cooking tonite either. DH and I are going to a new Thai place in the neighbourhood.

Good day all!

Dagmar :beach:

alinnell
08-25-2012, 05:29 PM
We were finally successful at the adoption event this morning. We found a 6 year old female black lab. She's about 4-5 inches shorter than Chico and at 50 pounds, she could probably lose a couple pounds. She seems to have not cat aggression at all! They hiss at her and she gives a little whine and walks away.

Misty (http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z104/alinnell/2012-08-25_14-06-41_780.jpg)

bargoo
08-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Allison, congratulations! It sounds like she was worth waiting for.Cute picture with the cat. What does Chico think of her ?

Mudpie
08-26-2012, 05:48 AM
We were finally successful at the adoption event this morning. We found a 6 year old female black lab. She's about 4-5 inches shorter than Chico and at 50 pounds, she could probably lose a couple pounds. She seems to have not cat aggression at all! They hiss at her and she gives a little whine and walks away.

Misty (http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z104/alinnell/2012-08-25_14-06-41_780.jpg)

Give Misty about 3 weeks to settle in to see her true personality. But if the cats get the upper hand now all the better. She looks like a sweet dog! Congrats!

alinnell
08-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Misty is so mellow! She's not giving mind to the cats at all--walks right past them without a thought. The cats are allowing themselves more floor time and more time close to her--they're still slightly skittish (ready to take off if she makes a move toward them) but they seem quite comfortable with her. She slept by our bed and was very quiet all night. Now to get her to do the dog doors.

Megan1982
08-26-2012, 07:10 PM
For some reason the photo link isn't working, but I'm so excited you found the right dog for your family, Allison! She sounds like a sweetie.

Enjoy your vacation Dagmar! Sounds like you have some fun, relaxing things to do while you're there.

We will probably not get a direct impact from Hurricane Isaac but will still get wind & water impacts, and probably lose power. I'm evacuating to a friend's house nearby that is on higher ground bc I'm afraid there will be too much water under my house for Emma to get out and use the bathroom, lol. I am such a homebody, I hate leaving my house. Blech. It could be much worse though - I expect my house to be fine when I get back to it.

alinnell
08-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I think they changed something at Photobucket. Try this: http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z104/alinnell/Misty/

My friend in Florida says all she is getting is intermittent rain, some wind and a lot of humidity. And as I understand, she is where it was to hit first. She says they downgraded it to a tropical storm.

saef
08-26-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm evacuating to a friend's house nearby that is on higher ground bc I'm afraid there will be too much water under my house for Emma to get out and use the bathroom, lol. I am such a homebody, I hate leaving my house. Blech. It could be much worse though - I expect my house to be fine when I get back to it.

Your first sentence stopped my heart and I felt so relieved after I read on.

I do not like the sound of this storm at all.

Mudpie
08-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Megan Hope your house is fine. But they build for storms in Florida, yes? I'm catching a plane - see you all in a week!

Dagmar :dance: