Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #1  

Default What do you think

I'm so lost when it comes to choosing healthy meals to eat. I'm so new to this and I really don't know where to start. I need to loose 70lbs. Today is the day i will leave my old habits and began this weight loss journey. For breakfast I had two boiled eggs and 3 small turkey sausage links. Is this sufficient? What are you guys eating for breakfast?
kami08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

I eat a cup of quick oats every morning for breakfast. 1 cup of quick oats, 2 cups of water in a bowl & put it in the microwave for 2 minutes. If I have fresh fruit I put that in the bottom of the bowl before adding the oatmeal. If we are out of fruit, I use cinnamon & Splenda. It's 300 calories plus whatever fruit so it usually ends up like 340 or so. It's very filling & I love oatmeal. I am a creature of habit so I do the same thing everyday.

I eat oatmeal because it's supposed to be good for your heart and I am doing everything based on heart health since major heart problems run in my family.

You may want to get an app like MyFitnessPal or a calorie counting app to help you keep track. That is the one I use & I love it. You can even scan barcodes from the packages to make it easier.

Last edited by IAmTheGlue; 08-19-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: adding MFP app part. :)
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

My suggestion would be this - if you're not going to follow a popular diet plan (like South Beach, Atkins or Paleo) I would highly reccomend you count calories.

In the meanwhile just remember you need fiber in your diet. So eat your veggies!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #4  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

First of all- you've taken an awesome step in the right direction already. Around here you'll find a lot of great advice and a LOT of different options on where to start. It can be overwhelming! I'd say start small. I really like calorie-counting, and there are a ton of helpful online resources and smart phone apps you can use to help get you started. I really like the lose-it app on my phone, others swear by myfitnesspal... There are a lot of options.

I'd say that weight loss is full of trial and error. What works for one person may not work for another. It's a learning and growing process.

I think that 2 eggs and turkey sausage sounds like a reasonable breakfast I like to do egg white omelettes with lots of veggies, it keeps me full and I think they're pretty delicious. again, you've got to do what's best for you!!

Good luck!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #5  
Not settling this time

S/C/G: HW/CW/GW 278/149/130

Height: 5'3

Kami, you sound like you're off to a good start! I agree with danzingurl on your breakfast looking reasonable. Starting your day with a high protein breakfast helps me stay fuller longer. I'd probably ditch one of the sausage links and add some veggies with a drizzle of olive oil for fiber as JohnP stated and again the fat (with the olive oil) will keep you satiated.
Prim2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

That's a great start! I'm counting calories, but I like to eat a fair amount of protein, like you are. For breakfast, I have two or three eggs with some vegetables and fruit. So, I'll cook some spinach or chopped peppers or whatever in a pan, then, I'll add my eggs and scramble it all together. I'll have a piece of fruit usually, too. If you want to count calories, two phone apps that work great are Lose It! and My Fitness Pal. You fill in your stats and it tells you how much you need to eat (roughly) and then you just record it throughout the day. Best of luck! These boards have been really great for me--I haven't posted much, but I do read.
sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 315/281/165

Height: 5' 10"

I'm doing Atkins and the food choices are WAY more expansive than I had ever imagined. I usually start my day with 2-3 eggs..sometimes fried, sometimes in an omelet with feta, brocolli, and turkey sausage crumbles...for lunch tuna salad over a bed of lettuce, usually an ounce or so of cheddar cheese or a roll of ham or turkey lunch meat for a snack, dinner I'll make a turkey meatloaf stuffed with spinach, feta mushrooms or some fish or chicken with mashed cauliflower. Snacks are easy too..low-carb cheesecake, sugar free jello, hot and spicy pork rinds, deviled eggs, etc. I don't really get cravings and I don't have to count my calories....BUT..if you do Atkins...BUY THE BOOK AND DO IT RIGHT! There is alot more to it than just what is in the popular media jargon.
kittenthng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I find that if I stick with the same kind of meals, I stay on plan better. I usually eat 1/2 cup dry (1 cup cooked) oats with a little bit of honey, along with 2 boiled eggs for breakfast. If we are out of eggs, I eat some kind of high fiber cereal with skim milk. Fruit and veggies (more veggies than fruit) are your friends. I also agree that calorie counting seems to work best for me when I am not following some sort of commercial plan. I like that it gives me options and doesn't keep me from eating "forbidden" foods. If I want a brownie occasionally, I eat it. But I log it and figure out how many calories I have left after this indulgence so I don't stray too far from my plan.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote