Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #1  
Alyssa Nicole

S/C/G: 169/ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

Default Gained 2lbs from pizza

Ok so last night I decided to have a small cheat dinner. My boyfriend and I got a mini pizza pie and a few wings. No dessert. I has 3 of the mini slices (which would equal about 1 1/2 normal size pizza slices) and the two smallest hot wings. I weighed myself this morning and gained 2.2lbs. Can someone explain to me how this works? If 3500 cals are 1 pound then why did I gain 2? Im 95% sure I did not eat that many calories in one day. The rest of the day I only ate 500 cals worth of food.

Is this gonna happen every time I have a cheat meal? I'm really hoping the gain was something else. I can't think about not being able to have my favorite foods once in a while.
AlyssaNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/173/155

Height: 6'

The salt content of the meal might have something to do with it. I always retain water after I eat salt/a high refined carbohydrate meal. Don't worry, your weight will go back down!

Keep on trucking!!
raspberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Sodium = water retention... Your body is just hanging onto water, it should come off in a day or two.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Pizza is very salty. I'm sure the "gain" was just water retention from extra sodium in your system. Moderate your salt and drink lots of fluids for the next few days and I'll bet the excess weight will be gone.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Pizza is very salty. I'm sure the "gain" was just water retention from extra sodium in your system. Moderate your salt and drink lots of fluids for the next few days and I'll bet the excess weight will be gone.

F.
^^THIS^^

Pizza has a buttload of sodium. Sodium makes you retain water.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #6  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Yep, water weight. You didn't comsume 7,700 extra calories that day in order to "gain" that weight.

Don't put so much stock in the number on the scale.. or don't be a daily weigher unless you can stand to see that number shoot up from anything, randomly. Sore muscles, carbs, salt... Tuesday. Could be anything! (at least it is for me, lol...)

kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #7  
Alyssa Nicole

Thanks so much everyone!!! I'm so glad to hear that!! No salt for me until I lose those 2 pounds. lol Besides keeping away from salt, should I lessen my calories for a day or two as well or just eat my normal amount of cals?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Wings too. I am up 2.4 lb overnight after a couple beers and wings, despite knowing calories were not high enough to warrant actual fat gain of that magnitude.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyssaNicole View Post
Thanks so much everyone!!! I'm so glad to hear that!! No salt for me until I lose those 2 pounds. lol Besides keeping away from salt, should I lessen my calories for a day or two as well or just eat my normal amount of cals?
Keep calorie count at your normal level. Lay off the salt/sodium laden foods (this could even mean canned veggies). You may even see a lower number on scale tomorrow. BUT REMEMBER: that doesn't mean "you lost two pounds!" - it means the water weight fluctuated down.

This is EXACTLY why I weigh myself every day. I am used to seeing the scale go up or down by 2-3 lbs, depending on what I ate the day before. If I have too much sodium, it really shows. I can eat way less sodium, but more calories on one day, & the scale be DOWN the next day.

My best advice to anyone: Learn how YOUR body works. Then the little fluctuations won't be so intimidating.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
Keep calorie count at your normal level. Lay off the salt/sodium laden foods (this could even mean canned veggies). You may even see a lower number on scale tomorrow. BUT REMEMBER: that doesn't mean "you lost two pounds!" - it means the water weight fluctuated down.

This is EXACTLY why I weigh myself every day. I am used to seeing the scale go up or down by 2-3 lbs, depending on what I ate the day before. If I have too much sodium, it really shows. I can eat way less sodium, but more calories on one day, & the scale be DOWN the next day.

My best advice to anyone: Learn how YOUR body works. Then the little fluctuations won't be so intimidating.
Yep... My husband is up two pounds overnight - from weight lifting. it's been about 6 weeks since he's gone and his muscles are sore and hanging onto water. he KNOW what is causing it as he's watched the fluctuations and knows about them.

And, since all of us are different, you need to figure out YOUR OWN fluctuations and what causes them. Not worry about what the scale says day to day, but the trend.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #11  
Alyssa Nicole

Thank you! I will definitely keep track more often. I dont want to be worried again about the scale if its just water weight. I'm very curious of how my weight loss will change if I keep away from salty foods.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #12  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Yes, pizza is very salty which leads to water weight. Friday's are pizza night at my house and if I have 3 slices like clockwork I would be up 2+ lbs the next day.

I am training myself to eat 2 smaller slices, make a healthy salad and drink water. It's still pizza, but it's better than 4 slices, breadsticks and a Coke like before. lol Also I restrict my calories earlier that day and I try to do more cardio.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote