Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat August 13 - August 19

BillBlueEyes
08-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Copying someone around here, I've started putting on my gym clothes as I get out of bed to make sure that gym is the first thing I do (after 3FC, of course). Works for me. Such a small tweak to the brain to be effective, as if changing into jeans would take too much time.

Bumped into some homemade cookies yesterday - Big Ouch. Cookies are a no-no for me because they have far more calories than appropriate for a mindset that a serving is a stack. At least they were good cookies. In my past life, I've been known to eat a stack of Oreo's.

Mudpie
08-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Bill I too find the cookies to be a bit of a siren song and always end up wrecked on the rocks. But I am now immune to the charms of Mr. Christie and the like. Store bought are just too sickly sweet or greasy for me.

I am dogsitting. No TV. Interesting. Spent yesterday evening playing with the pets - 1 bulldog, 2 cats - and reading. Am now trying to master a Mac, after a power failure. Did manage to find the crucial button - ON - and my guest log in did reload - Hallelujah!

Next job is to try to reset the clock on the stove.

Good day all!

Dagmar

saef
08-13-2012, 07:44 AM
I can't claim to put on my gym clothes as soon as I get up. I go into the kitchen and start coffee first. While it's brewing, I go back to my room, where I laid out the clothes the night before (that's important, strangely enough, with no decision-making about which top to wear) and put them on. I have breakfast in my gym clothes. That tells me what my first business of the day is going to be. The thing that can delay me is turning on the laptop. I have to watch it, or I get sucked into the dark vortex of the Internet, in which time passes in an instant while I am unaware of it. (I include this site on the Dark Side before 6 AM, unfortunately.)

I'm scanning my body today, trying to figure out what's up with it. After three or four months of not having my time of month, I'm starting to get what I think are hot flashes. I couldn't decide if I was coming down with something -- I don't know, maybe malaria from all my mosquito bites this summer -- or if it really was my hormones flaring up before they are extinguished. I'm at the right age for this to happen.

I'm sick of not hearing from the furniture restorer in two weeks, so I'm calling today.

And I'm annoyed at being unable to use Wi-Fi in my home, so I'm making the annoying call to Bangalore, where my company's help desk was outsourced, to be assisted through my troubleshooting by some "Peggy" or another. This is not my favorite way to spend 45 minutes.

And I'm wondering who I can call to make the gas FINALLY work in my stove. I made crockpot curried vegetables over the weekend, actually frying the onions on my little Foreman. And gazpacho. This debacle has showed me how much I love roasting batches of vegetables every week, because I haven't been able to do it.

In short, I am in the mood to get on the phone with people and get ornery and get things done. Or, at least, scheduled to be done. Calendar on my desk. To-do list at my right hand.

alinnell
08-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Laying out clothes for the next day is one essential thing I have to do before bed, otherwise I'll be lost in the morning. But that rarely includes workout clothing in the morning. I've come to the conclusion that it works for me to work out after work--that also helps me to not snack as much or drink as much that afternoon and evening. Somehow the morning workouts help with morning snacking, but the effect wears off for the afternoon.

The heat is still on here and I discovered one item that my new car is lacking--the rear window power shade. I had it in my last car and have decided it is essential in the summer. It's not an item that can be installed after market, so I bought a cheesy alternative off of Amazon that will help, but isn't as cool.

We went to two movies this weekend: Killer Joe and Bourne Legacy. I'm still torn on Killer Joe--it's one of those movies that make you wonder just how people live like that, but it was also evil and violent. Bourne Legacy was really good--intense chase scene (DH said it was the best motorcycle chase scene he's ever seen) and really good story--even without Bourne actually in it.

DH leaves Thursday for a weekend of golf with old buddies in Park City, Utah. Hopefully he'll be home early enough on Sunday that we can catch a movie--I want to see Hope Springs (although I doubt DS will be interested in that one).

DD goes home to Fullerton today with her kitties. It's so funny how for the first day they are here they are terrified of the dog, but by the end of their stay they don't think twice of coming close to him. Hopefully her building manager follows through and gets her A/C fixed today. She was without it for three days before she came here.

bargoo
08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Cookies are a No-NO in my house, I can't have just one. I am obviously a person with no will power where cookies are concerned.

saef
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
So far, so good.

-Left a message with the furniture restorer.
-Checked in at work about my time off this week, and am waiting for confirmation from my manager. Will schedule stuff Upstate once I have that. That'll be two more calls right there.
- Have figured out what I'll do on my hour-long training session with two editors. Now if the "share screen" technology will cooperate ...

- Also made some measurements on an antique mirror that I need to hang. That's for lunch hour or a so-called coffee break, later.

After feeling deep lassitude all weekend, I am again a competent female, getting stuff done.

Sometimes it takes a lot to get into gear. I know the cooled-off weather helps considerably.

paperclippy
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Good morning! Cookies are also a no-no in my house. I will eat them occasionally if I'm out somewhere or they have them at work, but there is no way I can bake up a dozen cookies at home and then not eat the entire dozen.

alinnell
08-13-2012, 10:16 AM
I regularly buy cookies for DS and I rarely get into them. At the beginning of summer, I bought an assortment of the packs you would send in your kids' lunch boxes--Nutter Butter, Oreos, Chips Ahoy. DS is slowly consuming them as they aren't a priority with him. Last night for his dessert, he chose Pop Tarts and hot cocoa (boy that's a sugar rush!).

Chips and crackers--those are my problem areas. But I do have an open bag of pita chips. Broken beyond being able to use them for dipping, they're a mess to eat, so there they sit. I should just throw them out.

Lately I discovered a very yummy cracker--Rosemary Mini Croccatini. They are just fabulous, but I am careful to dole out only four per day (and some days none at all).

bargoo
08-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Up until I moved I was baking cookies every week and taking them to church. Believe it or not I could only eat one maybe two, just to test them. I was only able to do that because if I ate too many I wouldn't have enough to take. They have been asking for cookie donations at the church I now attend, but I am not baking them I am buying a package or two, I don't want to take an opened package so that acts as a deterrent to me.Why can't I be a normal eater and eat a cookie, one cookie now and then ? One other things that shocks me are the people who get candy as a gift, ( See's is a favorite in California ) and can put it away and eat a piece once in awhile, I don't understand that at all.

ChrisMohr
08-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi gang,
After going from 214 to my goal of 188 (I'm 6'4"), I became a maintainer a couple weeks ago. First project was to find a set point a little lower than 188, and lo and behold ten days later I am now at 183.4! Summer has been a time of extreme exercise: mountain climbs and hikes with thousands of feet of gain, bike rides up steep mountain roads for hours on end, etc.
I've learned a couple important new things:
1) For our anniversary we went out to dinner. Even tho I asked for low sodium, salt is everywhere. Despite having no drinks, no appetizers and no desserts, and a rather humble fish dish, I gained two pounds. Got discouraged but lost the two pounds the next day once I got the salt flushed out of my system. So: when going out, eat reasonably, and take a scale break the next day... and stay honest!
2) 100 calories of dark chocolate a day is OK but I am avoiding cookies etc.

When I get down to round 181 or 182 I will start slowly bringing rice and bread back in and really start maintaining. But losing is still fun so what the hey. What a great feeling!

bargoo
08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Congratulations , Chris on maintaining. Maintenance can be an uphill battle.It looks like you are finding the right method for you. keep up the good work.

saef
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh, and as for cookies .... What is a cookie, again? I don't let them in the apartment. I don't eat them elsewhere anymore. I don't even look at them directly if I can help it. Look, a categorical ban on certain substances works well for me. I'll rethink that if I need to, but right now, I'm doing okay without eating them at all.

alinnell
08-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Mad! Mad! Mad! Mad! Mad! Mad! Mad! Mad! Mad! Mad!

And not about the cookies!

Can I just move away from this building right now? It's not bad enough that we've discovered Imported Red Fire Ants, but that we are expected to pay rent for the vacant suite next door because our landlords can't be bothered to rent it themselves! Yes, that's right--we're being forced to pay the rent next door until we're able to find tenants--in this economy and in an industrial area that is only about 50% occupied. Sure we've had a lot of "lookers" but they realize that the amount our landlord is charging is a bit higher than the competition, so they don't want to rent from us. Well, there was one willing to pay--but it was a Medical Marijuana distributor. We don't need that type!

And if you read my rant last week...yeah, same person.

We really need to sever all ties with this yahoo, and SOON!

(P.S. Thanks for letting me rant again!)

ICUwishing
08-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Ditto the no-cookies pledge. I bake them about twice a year when DS gets insistent, and while I rarely get the sweet cravings, I can make a darn good chocolate chip cookie that I find very difficult to resist. I may have to try the next batch with M&Ms. The chocolate is not only inferior, but I have the advantage of the negative-reinforcement training with the "colorful candy shells". :D I'll bet I could leave those alone!

I have achieved Sofa King Tired. Not a good start to the week. I decided to check out "Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition" and why I stayed up til 11 to finish it, I don't know. Same production content with the silly scale readings and commercial break timing as "Biggest Loser". The M*A*S*H* rerun that preceded it was far more entertaining.

krampus
08-13-2012, 03:13 PM
My roommate is a recreational baker with a super active collaborative dessert blog with our other baker friend in London who also happens to own a food stall. Fortunately she's also on the "healthy eating most of the time except ice cream four days a week" bandwagon, so few disasters happen.

Lifted this morning. Gonna jog with my boyfriend this afternoon, assuming the grey sky doesn't crack and spill down torrents of stormy weather. I am mustering up the courage to ask my boss for time off to make a quick 5-day trip to London to visit friends in November. That'll be a good incentive to stay trim - I want to buy lots of clothes over there.

bargoo
08-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I have many great cookie recipes but stay away from baking them, on the other hand vegies and salads while good for you are just boring to make and even more boring to eat. I know, I know they are good for you we need the vitamins, etc, but I can hear my mother saying, "eat your vegetables, yada, yada,yada ". And, folks, that is why forbidden foods taste so much better.

alinnell
08-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I have many great cookie recipes but stay away from baking them, on the other hand vegies and salads while good for you are just boring to make and even more boring to eat. I know, I know they are good for you we need the vitamins, etc, but I can hear my mother saying, "eat your vegetables, yada, yada,yada ". And, folks, that is why forbidden foods taste so much better.

It's the fat. Our bodies are made to like the texture of fat--so that we can pack on the pounds so that if there is a famine, we'll survive it. Something like that. It's something that was necessary thousands of years ago, but which evolution has hung onto rather than erased from our DNA.

bargoo
08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
It's the fat. Our bodies are made to like the texture of fat--so that we can pack on the pounds so that if there is a famine, we'll survive it. Something like that. It's something that was necessary thousands of years ago, but which evolution has hung onto rather than erased from our DNA.

I have to say I have never known true hunger, sure I get hungry, or think I do but nothing like people who experience famine.
We are very blessed to be living today where we do.

shcirerf
08-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm probably the odd person on the whole cookie thing. I could care less. Thankfully the hub is not a sugar hound either.

My problem is anything salty and crunchy! Crackers, chips, peanuts, etc.

Plus I'm allergic to chocolate. :dizzy:Seriously:dizzy: Gives me raging stomach cramps. I can tolerate a small amount of high quality chocolate, but not much. The cheaper the chocolate, the bigger the belly ache.

In other news, brought the doberman home tonight. I was a bit nervous about this as she seemed dog aggressive, but I really felt she just wasn't socialized well and didn't know what to do. Started out with her in muzzle and on lease. She is now roaming the house and is fine.

We have 3 dogs, and they've been down this foster road before. They're like, "really Mom" another crackhead?"

I did take her for a long walk to burn off some pent up energy, and then we have certain rules, all have to follow. I did have my DH take our dogs in the house, and I opened the door and made her calm down and wait, before I took her in the house. It's my house, my door, my trash can, etc.

It may take a bit, but I have high hopes that we can find her a good home. She came to the vet hospital where I work as a dumped stray. Only about 8 months old. So don't know anything about her history. Has a cute pink camo collar. We did advertise her for several days on our local radio station, no owner ever came forward. Suspect, from where she was found, she probably was dumped by some dingbats, that were living at a local rural apartment complex, that used to be army barracks in the 50's. Most likely they were being evicted, or the law was getting to close to their drug cooking, either way, they needed to split and just turned the dog loose.:mad:

alinnell
08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
In other news, brought the doberman home tonight. I was a bit nervous about this as she seemed dog aggressive, but I really felt she just wasn't socialized well and didn't know what to do. Started out with her in muzzle and on lease. She is now roaming the house and is fine.

We have 3 dogs, and they've been down this foster road before. They're like, "really Mom" another crackhead?"

I did take her for a long walk to burn off some pent up energy, and then we have certain rules, all have to follow. I did have my DH take our dogs in the house, and I opened the door and made her calm down and wait, before I took her in the house. It's my house, my door, my trash can, etc.

It may take a bit, but I have high hopes that we can find her a good home. She came to the vet hospital where I work as a dumped stray. Only about 8 months old. So don't know anything about her history. Has a cute pink camo collar. We did advertise her for several days on our local radio station, no owner ever came forward. Suspect, from where she was found, she probably was dumped by some dingbats, that were living at a local rural apartment complex, that used to be army barracks in the 50's. Most likely they were being evicted, or the law was getting to close to their drug cooking, either way, they needed to split and just turned the dog loose.

That is so cool! Thank you for saving her! I'm sure with some guidance she'll be a good pet to you or anyone who decides to adopt her!

shcirerf
08-13-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm not keeping her, but she does deserve a chance to find a good forever home.

I've been down this road before, after working at the vet for 7 years. Thankfully my boss is kind enough to let me take them home at night and for the weekend and work with them and bring them to work during the day.

It may take a little time to find her a good home, but that's ok. I fostered a lab a few years ago, a guy came in and wanted her and she would not come out from behind me, growling, slobbering, "NOT" ! A few weeks later, with some help from some shelter folks and petfinder, a guy from Denver came to look at her, she loved him! They even updated us with picks of playing in the snow.

It will workout, just takes time. Like all good things!:carrot:

bargoo
08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
It may take a bit, but I have high hopes that we can find her a good home. She came to the vet hospital where I work as a dumped stray. Only about 8 months old. So don't know anything about her history. Has a cute pink camo collar. We did advertise her for several days on our local radio station, no owner ever came forward. Suspect, from where she was found, she probably was dumped by some dingbats, that were living at a local rural apartment complex, that used to be army barracks in the 50's. Most likely they were being evicted, or the law was getting to close to their drug cooking, either way, they needed to split and just turned the dog loose.:mad:

And not microchipped eirher I gather. I think all dogs should be microchipped.

Mudpie
08-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Mircrochips only work if the company supplying the chips stays in business and gives all the pet centres a scanner that works with their particular technology. We lost one of our cats and turns out the humane society didn't have the correct scanner to "see" his chip. We did get him back as I'm a very persistent owner but the chip was useless. Now my cats wear a collar and tag whenever they go out.

I'm a little concerned about one of the cats I'm sitting. Flo is loudly and persistently demanding to go out. She is allowed but she has no I.D. of any kind. Fortunately she only goes into the back lane and hangs out in a garage so I am letting her out after I get here for the afternoon/evening. I must ask them to get her a collar and ID tag for next time.

Dagmar :dizzy:

shcirerf
08-14-2012, 08:04 AM
The other issue we see with Micro chips is people buy or adopt a pet with a chip, but fail to register it. This girl had no chip.

I did track down a dog with an unregistered chip. It was an avid chip, so I called Avid and found out who they'd sold the chip to. Turns out it was a shelter in Denver. The original adoptee never registered the chip, never neutered the dog and then gave him away. The dog came to us through it's new owner for vaccinations. Anyway the shelter people were hopping mad and were going to contact the original owner and give him what for. If they did not want the dog they were supposed to return him to the shelter.

ICUwishing
08-14-2012, 08:42 AM
I had to sign a contract with the shelter I adopted my rabbits from - if I move, I need to give them an address and notify them. They can't be euthanized except for terminal illness or crippling injury, and only then by a licensed vet. Under any other circumstance, they have to be returned to the shelter. I like that! :)

Janelle, more thumbs up for making the effort to rehab the dobie. She sounds like she's got some brains and personality. I'm sure she'll give you a run for your money in the meantime!

bargoo, one of the things I dearly love about summer is that the abundance of produce gives us a chance to try some different things. This year, we have collard greens for the first time. Not quite sure how to deal with them; DH braised them with some bacon and a bit of chicken stock in a classic method (I guess) - supposed to eat them with a sprinkle of pickled pepper juice. The jury (DS and I) are neutral - they are certainly "different".

More on the remodeling. Our Andersen doorwalls, now about 14 years old, catastrophically delaminated - leaving pine exposed to the outdoor elements. I was unable to get them to move toward any sort of replacement without paying full price. In steps the local distributor, from whom we bought them - and when he saw the extent of what happened (obviously a process screw-up), he strong-armed them into agreeing to replace all 6 doors/panels for free, if I call it a seal breach (20 year warranty) vs a delam (10 year warranty). And, he's saying that if we see fit to give the re-siding job to them, they'll install them for free. Well, that's about an $8000 savings right there. I just wish I didn't have such a sour taste in my mouth about these doors and how Andersen warranties them - I was all ready to move up to fiberglass and a real oak veneer on the inside (and a lifetime warranty, even on the glass). $8K is a lot of money in my world. 10 years on delamination? Doesn't show a lot of faith in the product, in my book.

alinnell
08-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Most rescue organizations and some shelters will insist on a contract where you return the pet to them if you are unable to care for them. It's kind of standard practice.

All my pets are chipped--the cats through Home Again and Chico through the AKC. I have to pay a yearly fee for the cats, but Chico's appears to be a lifetime charge (and a lot less expensive!). When he had his xrays before surgery you could see his chip--pretty interesting.

Becky~that's really unusual that you got a lifetime warranty on the glass. Most manufacturers will warranty for some parts of the glass (if the dual pane allows moisture in but not for breakage). Due to the extreme heat out here, rarely are wood clad doors and windows installed. Most of what we do are aluminum or steel. If there is a wood cladding the wood is only on the interior. And frankly Anderson has a pretty poor reputation out here. I think my brother has Anderson in Utah, and he's only been marginally happy with them.

Okay, off to work folks! Hopefully today will be a little better.

traveling michele
08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Janelle,
My rescued Dobie was likely dumped as well. When I found her, she was 2-3 years old. She was thin, had heartworms, and multiple BB's in her. She was the sweetest, most loyal dog we ever owned. I suspect her owners (if I can call them that) didn't have $$ to treat the heartworms and dumped her in a nice neighborhood hoping someone would pay to treat her.

No cookies for me either. I can't bake them or I will taste them until there are none left. I made some for dd and her friend the other night but they were the refrigerator break apart kind. I still found myself eating crumbs off the baking sheet!

Back to pet news-- we decided against adopting the little rescue Doxie. I visited her on Sunday and didn't feel we were the best match for her. She needs someone who is home to help her rebuild trust of people. She barks and growls at everyone and the foster mom said she panicks when she leaves home. She had both hips recently repaired (hit by a car) and I think my house would be too rough and chaotic. She also isn't housetrained and I am going back to school so I don't have time to work with her. I know there will be a family out there to give her a forever home. I was proud of myself for not just "wanting" her-- I have a hard time saying no!

alinnell
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Something positive has come out of this week--DD just posted that not only was she chosen to work in a professor's lab next year, she will also be her TA! This will look so good on her application to grad school!

saef
08-14-2012, 09:13 PM
I am so tired of not hearing from the furniture restorer, of calling him, of hearing him promise to call me and stop by the next day and bring me "something small," since he's still working on the big things, and then never call or show up.

It's like an unrequited relationship and it fills me with the same gloom that I can't shake off.

I'm heading Upstate tomorrow, after working a half-day. I will spend some time with my mother as an actual willing guest. We'll go to the huge outdoor antique show that we have attended annual for maybe two decades now.

Last year I came back from this antique show and a week-long visit with my mother to find Hurricane Irene headed toward my apartment. I spent just two nights there before the place was flooded out.

So it's an uneasy anniversary.

bargoo
08-14-2012, 09:22 PM
saef, when I deal with someone like the furniture restorer I make a pest out of myself, in a nice pleasant way. I call as early in the morning as I can, I call every hour on the hour. In time he will be so tired of hearing from me he will nearly be begging for mercy. I never soumd angry or irritated, sweet as honey, but constantly calling irritating him as much as possible. It works.

alinnell
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I am so tired of not hearing from the furniture restorer, of calling him, of hearing him promise to call me and stop by the next day and bring me "something small," since he's still working on the big things, and then never call or show up.

It's like an unrequited relationship and it fills me with the same gloom that I can't shake off.

I'm heading Upstate tomorrow, after working a half-day. I will spend some time with my mother as an actual willing guest. We'll go to the huge outdoor antique show that we have attended annual for maybe two decades now.

Last year I came back from this antique show and a week-long visit with my mother to find Hurricane Irene headed toward my apartment. I spent just two nights there before the place was flooded out.

So it's an uneasy anniversary.

At least two good things will come of this--you can perhaps find a new (old) something or other AND you get some cat time! Don't let the anniversary get you down.

Mudpie
08-15-2012, 07:18 AM
:crazy: :stress: :tired: :faint:

My week from h*ll is this week. I will sooooo appreciate my vacation.

Dagmar :p

saef
08-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Allison, thanks. Yes, you would not believe how much I look forward to reuniting with Fritz, though I'm reminding myself that a cat is not demonstrative, like a dog. If I'm lucky, Fritz will rub against my leg. But I know he'll jump up on my bed tonight and curl up with me, and we will cuddle, and I look forward to that immensely. It's very calming, to be half-asleep, in bed, petting a purring cat. That vision can get me through a busy half-day at work and full of errands before the long drive Upstate.

Now I need a good long shower after spin class.

alinnell
08-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Michele~it's probably too late now, but a friend on another board just told me of a really neat program that Bed, Bath & Beyond has. You go to their store and sign up (for free) and then select (using a scanner) all the things you want or need for your dorm, then they send the list to the store nearest the school you (or your kids) will be attending. Then all you have to do is pick it up there. The other friend was panicking because her son is moving from CA to NY and she didn't know how on earth they'd get everything there.

bargoo
08-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Allison, any news on the rescue dog ?

alinnell
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Allison, any news on the rescue dog ?

No. He's still available according to the website. My coordinator is away right now--hiking the Grand Canyon. I don't know how long she'll be away. They're having another adoption event this weekend in Encinitas, and I could go alone (DH is away then) but what with all the fires here it'd require me to detour to all interstate travel which would add another hour each way to the already two hour long trip. I think I'll stay home.

Meanwhile, things at work have calmed down a bit!!!! I felt a huge relief yesterday when our insurance broker emailed me a calculator to help determine how much to refund our employees from what we were refunded from Blue Cross. I had to write a check to our previous partner, but was VERY relieved that it was only $340. He's been bullying us about this for days and it really raised DH's and my blood pressure. Currently we're shopping for a new office/warehouse and there are two really close by that would be perfect (one for sale one for lease). We're waiting for calls back on those.

bargoo
08-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I hope you will be able to get out from under that previous partner and can find a new building a way from the stress.

Shannon in ATL
08-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Allison - I know that the ex-partner has been making you crazy for awhile with the lawsuits and the other nonsense. I hope you find another building to rent or buy and can get away from him.

traveling michele
08-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Michele~it's probably too late now, but a friend on another board just told me of a really neat program that Bed, Bath & Beyond has. You go to their store and sign up (for free) and then select (using a scanner) all the things you want or need for your dorm, then they send the list to the store nearest the school you (or your kids) will be attending. Then all you have to do is pick it up there. The other friend was panicking because her son is moving from CA to NY and she didn't know how on earth they'd get everything there.

Allison,
We did this! I knew about it from older dd. We picked up everything today, picked up dd's new iPad from the university, and did a target run. She gets to start moving in tomorrow morning. I ate way off plan today and didn't exercise. I'm hoping to be more focused tomorrow. Dh is flying in from Brazil tomorrow too. Poor guy was flying from Brazil to Houston to San Francisco originally. When he realized he needed to be in Tucson, he tried to change the flight to go from Houston to Tucson. It was going to cost an extra $600! So he is still flying to San Francisco, picking up his bags and then flying to Tucson. I'm sure he will be cranky and jet lagged!

ChrisMohr
08-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Back to maintenance... two events, three pounds! One was a party with gourmet catering (abundant passed hors d'ouevres). The other was an extremely elegant new restaurant (wealthy friends treated us and insisted on a $100 bottle of wine to start). Both events were incredible fun, rare treats for me, so I'm trying to be a sport about it. But three pounds! Sheesh it took me two weeks to lose those three pounds and two days to pack them back on!
As they say, when you fall off the horse get right back on.

bargoo
08-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Chris, it happens ! With your determination you will drop that 3 pounds soon.

ICUwishing
08-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Drive-by -:wave: to all! Things are a little busy with DH gone, and there's a lot going on at work. Hoping to get a bit of a breather by Friday night where I can catch up on everybody's doings and post more thoroughly. :)

Shannon in ATL
08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Chris - those three pounds could be water retention from richer food, too. You'll get them back off in short order I'm sure. :)

Saef - you've been on my mind the last few days, from the discussion about our regiment and order on the Labor Day thread and from your upcoming anniversary weekend. I hope that you are able to enjoy the antique festival this weekend, the time with your mom and your reunion with Fritz and come home more at peace.

My grandmother was put into ICU last night and DH's uncle (who stood in as father when DH's own father left when he was 3) has been moved into the hospice stage of his cancer. My grandmother I believe will be okay, with DH's uncle it is just a matter of time now. I don't think this was the right week for me to start trying to change patterns and get back on track. :eek:

bargoo
08-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Shannon., sorry to hear about the illnesses in your family. I am sure that you , especially, want to be there as support for your DH. You have concerns about your Grandmother, too. Sometimes we just have to face what is and other things such as diet and exercise may have to take a back seat for awhie.

saef
08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Shannon, thanks. I was thinking that I need to **use** this board more actively and that means writing about painful truths. If I don't talk about them, it does not help me. And there's always very good odds that what I think of as my own private problem is actually something shared by other people.

It's hard to resolve to fix one's life and jump right into a wholesale renovations. There are always going to be immediate issues and distractions. We just do what we can, when we can, and hope we get better at it. It's the whole baby steps lesson that losing weight taught me, only applied to other things. Like, what little thing can I do today to get a little better? Just one thing. Not a big reformation, just one thing. You did your thing. You can wait to do another thing.

Shannon in ATL
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Saef, I hear you on using resources and looking at painful truths. I've not been working through my things with any of my online or in person resources, and I haven't been handling them well on my own. What I've found as I started putting things out there is that so many more people share similar stresses and their stories and experiences are helping me. I've said to myself a dozen times in the last few days that I need to jump the tracks a little, for example. :)

Even with everything going on and sitting on pins and needles at work waiting for word I have managed to eat well today - I had kashi cereal with skim milk for breakfast, made a to go coffee on my Keurig and had a salad with grilled chicken for lunch. And I have to share my salad story, as I think it was a small victory - I always get the same salad at work (from the restaurant downstairs). It is an iceberg base with a spring mix with shaved carrots, has 3 cucumber, 2 wedges of tomato and comes with a small cup of cheese that weighs out to 1/2 a slice of cheese. I have them give me 1 round of bacon, a diced up piece of grilled chicken, a side cup of sliced pickles and some diced onion. They usually put the bacon broken up on the salad and give me the chicken, pickle and onion on a plate. Every day I bring the salad upstairs and remove the tomato, cucumber and carrot shreds from the salad base and put them in the lid of the container. I then put the pickles in there as well, where I chop all of those things into tiny pieces. I pick the broken up bacon from the salad and sit it on the side plate with the chicken and wax wrapped bundle of onion. I then cut the lettuce in the base bowl into tiny pieces, all of mostly uniform size. Once the veggies are chopped tiny I put them back on the now chopped and somewhat deflated salad base and top with onion, then sprinkle on ground red pepper. I pour the cheese on after that, after I've weighed it to make sure it is only 1/2 slice, which it is every day. I then chop the already diced chicken into tiny pieces, again after weighing the chicken (which is never more than 4 ounces of cooked chicken) and break the bacon up tiny, placing them on the salad. Close the lid, shake, open lid, scrape everything off the lid into the salad bowl, stir, eat. It takes me a minimum of 30 minutes to get the salad prepared for eating, sometimes 45. I've had people watch me do it and marvel at the particular-ness of my routine, so I stopped eating downstairs and bring it back up to my desk. Today the new woman in the kitchen put the diced chicken on the salad base by accident, on top of the bacon. Normally I would have picked it all off onto a plate I asked for on the side, then picked the bacon off. Today I didn't. I left it on the salad and cut the lettuce, chicken and bacon up quickly into manageable pieces. I did still cut up the cucumber, tomato and pickle, but to nowhere near as small as normal. I was eating my salad 13 minutes after getting upstairs. It has been at least a year since I was able to begin eating that fast. I have actually eaten something other than salad (sandwich, or hamburger) on a number of occasions when I didn't have time for my excessive salad prep. I have hope today that I can do this again tomorrow. My controller popped her head out of her office when I was throwing my bowl away and said "wow, I haven't seen you eat a salad that fast in years!" One more little track jumped.

Shannon in ATL
08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
And in seeing how long that post turned out to be maybe I need to start my own little chatter thread for stories like that. :)

alinnell
08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Your post actually made me laugh a little, Shannon! A little obsessed are we? But there are things that I do that are quite particular, too, so I can't be the one to judge at all. You definitely jumped the tracks on that one!

DH left for Park City but not before I made him send an email to our ex-partner regarding wasps in the building. I hadn't seen the pest control people for months and I thought that maybe he'd discontinued using them because now we have both wasps and Fire Ants. There was just no way I was going to send the email. Anyway, he responded right away and the pest control came and knocked down the wasp nests. The guy said he'd be back Monday for the regular spraying and would check the fire ant situation at that time (meanwhile Vector Control is coming tomorrow to lay poison for the fire ants--so no Chico at work tomorrow).

Meanwhile we think we found the perfect building! It's just the the right size with a huge warehouse and nice office and off-street parking. It's about 5 miles from where we are now which will double my commute from 5 to 10 miles (gasp!) but it's a real steal at about $650,000. The building we're in now is going for about $1.2 million so we'd have to buy it with the landscape company next door IF our ex partner and his partner in the building are willing to sell it.

bargoo
08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
This building sounds perfect for you . Do you have a lease on the current building, just wondering as I'm sure the present owners would want to enforce that X 2 , probably. I do hope this will work out for you.

Shannon in ATL
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Allison- yes, definitely obsessed. :) The new building sounds perfect! Like bargoo asked, do you have a strict lease with the current building?

alinnell
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
This building sounds perfect for you . Do you have a lease on the current building, just wondering as I'm sure the present owners would want to enforce that X 2 , probably. I do hope this will work out for you.

I didn't want to sign the lease last year, but DH wasn't "of the same mind". Now he is. But since he signed the lease, we have until February to do something. I don't care if we lease somewhere else, but DH doesn't really want to move. I understand--it's a huge waste of our employee's time BUT on the other hand, we'll clear out a lot of junk that's accumulated here. Just last year I cleaned out our storage area and had my FIL put in new racks for all the boxes. It is amazing the crap we found! We donated a lot of equipment to charity, threw out tons of stuff no one wanted and then reorganized to the point where we can actually FIND the stuff we're looking for! So whether we buy or lease, my vote is we move. We will NOT sign a new lease here, so if he won't sell us the building, we will leave. I'd just prefer to leave.

One of the reasons I feel we have to go is that this building has been made into four offices with 2 warehouses and one storage area that could be used by two of the offices. Two offices use NO warehouse space. We use both warehouses and an office and one office (and storage area) sits vacant. Our "land lord" ex-partner says it is our responsibility to pay the rent for the vacant space because "he can't afford it" We also have to pay all repairs. I feel this, as a tenant, is NOT my responsibility. If I owned the building, yeah, I'd pay for it, but not as a tenant.

Shannon in ATL
08-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Allison - I agree that you shouldn't have any obligation to pay the rent for the vacant spaces as a tenant. Your landlord is taking advantage of the fact that he knows you, and knows that you wouldn't want the building to get repossessed out from under you. Bah. I say move in February when the leave runs out and leave him to his own trouble.

alinnell
08-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Allison - I agree that you shouldn't have any obligation to pay the rent for the vacant spaces as a tenant. Your landlord is taking advantage of the fact that he knows you, and knows that you wouldn't want the building to get repossessed out from under you. Bah. I say move in February when the leave runs out and leave him to his own trouble.

DH's thoughts yesterday were this: live out our lease, but in the meantime find a new place to lease. Once we're gone, he won't be able to find tenants (the place next door has been vacant for over 6 months and the Realtor has shown it multiple times. After the place doesn't rent, it'll go into foreclosure and then we can buy it at a much reduced rate (unless we buy that other place which is newer and nicer but farther away).

I think the landlord is asking too much for rent and since there are so many vacancies around here, it's not going to get rented unless he lowers the rent. As soon as it is rented, our rent will go down.

bargoo
08-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Allison, I think you have a crazy landlord. Is he new as a landlord ? He is certainly not very business like. I have bought and sold property and have been a landlord, my idea and my ex at the time both agreed it was better to take a little less rent and have a renter who will pay the rent on time and want to stay. It is totally stupid to let a property sit empty because you can't get your price. Selling or renting the same theory applies. Your landlord is gong to end up with an empty building because he won't negotiate

alinnell
08-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Is he new as a landlord ? Yes. Obvious, isn't it?

bargoo
08-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Actually, Allison I wouldn't even want to do as your DH suggests and eventually be able to buy your building. Something tells me , unless you make a complete break with your ex partner/landlord that he is going to find a way to stick to you like a rash..

alinnell
08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Actually, Allison I wouldn't even want to do as your DH suggests and eventually be able to buy your building. Something tells me , unless you make a complete break with your ex partner/landlord that he is going to find a way to stick to you like a rash..

I think you're right. Last year, when we presented our bid to buy it, it was his other partner who said no (she thinks the building is worth more like the $2 million they paid for it--obviously isn't watching the economy!).

Last year, DD and her then roommate were looking to move. Of course they had to fill out paperwork and name their current landlord. The landlord came up to them and asked them why they were looking to move. They were truthful--they wanted a lower rent and the ability to have a pet. She immediately lowered their rent about $150 and said a cat would be fine. That's how a landlord SHOULD be!

shcirerf
08-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Suffice to say, I have been on both sides of the landlord/tenant issue.

What I discovered is, no matter which side you are on you need to know your state and local law.

In our small community, local landlords, have mostly never bothered to learn the law, but the tenants haven't either.

Granted, I'm talking residential, not commercial. But still, after being a renter, and then being a landlord, and having to get a lawyer to evict someone, man, did I learn a lot!:dizzy:

On another note, the foster dog is driving me nuts, the spare bedroom where I have my computer, that is me and my dog Ruby's hang out, foster dog is not welcome in here. Not being mean, it's just off limits. Rules, boundries, etc.

The foster is a very good dog, just gonna take some time. In the meantime, she needs a name. 8 or so month old female doberman, very focused, very attentive, very intelligent, no doggie social skills, but when she does focus and sit, she is so REGAL. Suggestions!?

On a work note, there is an outbreak of bovine anthrax in the area so we are hopping busy, with cattle people wanting to Vx for anthrax. Work is a ZOO! Plus it's fall weaning time, and fall VX, and sell calves and sort and such and so on, plus the Anthrax issue, we're in a quandry about scheduling small animal stuff, because we don't know how bad the panic, may or may not become over the Anthrax issue.

And such is life, I noticed about a week ago, the sprinkler in the garden would run and then choke and puke. After much ado, seems our residential well has caved in. We still have water, as long as you don't stress the system.

So, since we do have another well on the property, we will be spending Labor day week end, digging new trenches and re doing all the water. This involves a backhoe, thankfully we own one, lots of shovel work, pulling 2 wells, taking parts from one and adapting all to get the other one hooked up to the house, plus moving all the electrical.:?:

Yippiee, fricking skippee!

Mudpie
08-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Janelle How about "Amira" for the new dog - means "princess" in arabic?

Your life sounds very different from mine. Digging a well, etc. I would pick up the phone and call a plumber if there was a problem with the water. :dizzy:

My :crazy: busy time ends Sunday night. Whew! Then one more week 'til my holiday. :dance:

Dagmar :tired:

bargoo
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Janelle, is she a black Dobie ? In German the color black is Schwarz . Black, German dog = Schwarz

shcirerf
08-17-2012, 08:25 AM
She is a black dobie.

On the well issue, DH knows how to do all this and we don't have the $5 or 6k to have a well company come and do all this. It's not that it's so complicated just a ton of labor. Dig new trenches, lay new water line, pull both wells, make the proper adaptations to equipment, electrical and hook up.

It'll be lots of exercise, in and out of trench, shovel this, scoop that, pack pipe, etc. :running:

A pic of the foster dog. I was out in the garden, don't have a fenced yard, and since I'm afraid she'd take off, she is tied up, 10' swivel cable.

http://http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/shcirerfj/2012-08-16175917.jpg

bargoo
08-17-2012, 09:18 AM
She's a pretty girl. I used to do some pet sitting, one of my fvorites was a black, male dobie. His name was Jake and he was a sweetheart. I have some great stories about Jake.

alinnell
08-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Aww, she's a pretty dog! And it sure sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, Janelle! Good luck getting it done. Bovine anthrax--never heard of that one. Does it spread between the cattle--and does it get into our food supply (you know, like mad cow disease)?

Stupid me. I downloaded A Dog's Purpose and was reading it last night. I'm about 3/4 done but it made me cry so bad my eyes are all puffy this morning!

shcirerf
08-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Anthrax is spread by spores that live in the soil. What's happening here is it's so dry, the cattle are grubbing what little grass there is down to the nubbins and disturbing soil that hasn't been disturbed in years. Then they breathe in the spores and get anthrax. For the most part it does not spread from cow to cow. It also does not get into the food supply as the cattle die within a few days, and the carcasses are being put in a BIG hole, burned and then buried.

We finally agreed for a name for the dog, Zeeva.

I'm off this Saturday, so time for a good, long workout!

alinnell
08-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks Janelle--that explains it.

It's going to be a quiet day for me. I have only one errand to run--Trader Joe's and then the rest of the day will be leisurely. I may suggest that DS and I do a little back to school shopping. I know he needs a new backpack.

Megan1982
08-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

My field work had been trickling off in the first week of August and I was starting to feel a little more human, then this past week was terrible. In the sun all day every day working, despite drinking tons of water and gatorade I felt like I'd been beat up. Back to "survival mode". This coming week should only be 2.5 days in the sun, unfortunately in a row, and I'm going to scream if someone tries to pile more field work on top of it. It isn't happening. It is August in Florida - it's really hot and humid!

Project "get the most nutritional bang for your buck" is going fairly well despite the insanity of last week. I did this crazy thing today and actually used the calorie counting app I had downloaded to my ipad a few weeks ago. I am trying to get a bit more familiar w it today since I actually have some free time, so it will be easier to use during the week. Unfortunately bringing my ipad on the boat/letting it sit in a hot car just seems like a bad idea, so it will stay at home for now, but maybe I can get better about calculating the night before, since I do usually plan and pack what I will eat anyway. My gym will also re-open on Saturdays after Labor Day weekend, which I'm very excited about.

My dog both wears tags and is microchipped. She tends to lose her tags and I just can't find a good ring/clip that stays on her collar to keep her tags there, and I know that a microchip isn't foolproof, but I figure I will go at it from all sides and hopefully something will work if she ever gets lost.

shcirerf, cute dog! I'm sure you will be able to help this one get socialized and find a good home.

Allison, I agree, you need to distance yourself from that landlord stat. I'm sure even if you got the space next to your rented (which is ridiculous that it is your responsibility), they will just demand something else unreasonable from you. I've rented all of my 20's and have learned it is amazing what a landlord will do for a tenant who pays their rent in full in a timely fashion. My current landlord has lowered my rent multiple times (actually not at my request! she just "appreciates" me), and has allowed me to get a dog even though the house was originally advertised as "no pets".

Hope everyone is doing well and staying cooler than me. :)

saef
08-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I feel not just low in spirits, but downright depressed today.

At the antique show, well, it was just an antique show. I came home with a few nice things, but nothing spectacular. And was reminded constantly of the two things that I just let my mother throw out, because of the cost of getting them restored. I came home feeling lower & lower, and even going to bed and sleeping it off didn't help. This morning, when I got up, after breakfast, I felt downright flattened. I went back to bed.

But I made it to the gym, though not till nearly 10 AM, and now I am back, showered, dressed. I'm in the mood to lie about with magazines and bad TV and lick my wounds.

Maybe I'll head back downstate a day earlier than planned. Maybe it was too soon to come back Upstate for a visit, just when I was precariously re-established. But I needed a break, and right now my apartment is less than comfortable and relaxing.

ChrisMohr
08-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks all for your encouraging words. I gained 3 pounds after going to a restaurant Monday, but now I've gotten back on the horse and am slightly below the weight I was the day before the restaurant visit!

traveling michele
08-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Aww, she's a pretty dog! And it sure sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, Janelle! Good luck getting it done. Bovine anthrax--never heard of that one. Does it spread between the cattle--and does it get into our food supply (you know, like mad cow disease)?

Stupid me. I downloaded A Dog's Purpose and was reading it last night. I'm about 3/4 done but it made me cry so bad my eyes are all puffy this morning!

Great Book! I loved it!!

bargoo
08-21-2012, 05:04 PM
I feel not just low in spirits, but downright depressed today.

At the antique show, well, it was just an antique show. I came home with a few nice things, but nothing spectacular. And was reminded constantly of the two things that I just let my mother throw out, because of the cost of getting them restored. I came home feeling lower & lower, and even going to bed and sleeping it off didn't help. This morning, when I got up, after breakfast, I felt downright flattened. I went back to bed.

But I made it to the gym, though not till nearly 10 AM, and now I am back, showered, dressed. I'm in the mood to lie about with magazines and bad TV and lick my wounds.

Maybe I'll head back downstate a day earlier than planned. Maybe it was too soon to come back Upstate for a visit, just when I was precariously re-established. But I needed a break, and right now my apartment is less than comfortable and relaxing.

saef, you had a cruel thing happen to you last year. I'm wondering, have you gotten mad, I mean damn mad where you scream, and yell, cry and stamp your feet and tear your hair. and yell it's not fair . Sure you have a newly renovated apartment and new appliances and antiques but this was not by your choice it was thrust upon you. Not giving medical advice but sometimes an old fashioned tantrum clears the air.

saef
08-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Bargoo, no, I haven't had a good tantrum at fate or the universe or global warming or the developers who paved over the wetlands further upstream or whoever or whatever force it was that caused that flood. Maybe I should try it.

I did tell my mother, in despair: "This just goes on and on and on ..."

She thinks one ought to be, not just stoical, but cheerful, no matter what.

"Think positive," she told me.

But I am the soul of negativity sometimes. And it has on occasion served me well. (After all, if I'd thought positively when Hurricane Irene was forecast, I wouldn't even have saved my jewelry and I wouldn't have been sitting in a motel room, rather than my apartment, when it filled up with water.)

It feels good to talk with other ground-floor residents who have also been displaced. They understand my feelings quite well. We all need group therapy, probably, but we've all got separate jobs and lives, which we try to keep going. And some of us aren't on the property as they are refusing to move back -- they're renovating but planning to sell, and staying in whatever places they moved into after the flood.

One piece of good news. My next-door neighbor, who shares the gas lines, knocked on my door to tell me tonight: ConEd may finally turn on the gas for our respective stoves next Monday. We've been waiting since July 5th.

All I want to do is roast a chicken in an oven. And a tray full of vegetables. And put something on a front burner. It's a fairly modest desire, no?

traveling michele
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Janelle-- great name! Glad I'm not closer or I might be tempted to adopt her.

Saef-- I hope you're feeling less despondent. You will certainly enjoy the first meal you cook in your oven!

bargoo
08-22-2012, 08:15 AM
saef, if group therapy with your neighbors is not possible, how about a get together with those of you who have had this same experience? A potluck with your first floor neighbors or the chicken and roast vegies sounds yummy. Being with people who understand because they have gone through it might bring some relief.

traveling michele
08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Insomnia....sigh....
I can't take allergy or cold meds with "D" in them. I've been taking Allegra D 12 hour in the morning and not having any issues. I ran out and they only had the 24 hour Allegra D. I took it two days in a row and haven't slept in 2 days. I'm not taking it again! I took a Zyrtec today instead so hopefully that works.

This morning I have a staff retreat with teambuilding, breakfast, etc. Rather than going in so early, I don't have to leave until 8:15. I thought I would sleep in. I guess not.