General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/217/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Any DisneyWorld experts here? Question about medical fastpass

I went to Disney a year or so ago not long after my knee surgery and they gave me a fast pass for rides so I wouldn't have to stand and that I'd have an easier time getting around. I didn't ask for it - they saw me on crutches and asked what happend and I told them I'd had knee surgery...they were very "magical" and very nice.
Well fast forward to my current stress fracture - I fear it won't heal before our trip. My friend said hers lasted for 17 weeks because she fractured it just as soon as she was told she could start walking again.
Well this past week my Dr. told me to try walking w/o the cast boot - and bam - it's throbbing all over the place!!! I fear going to Disney with all that walking.
My husband will NOT push me in a wheelchair (don't even ask) - he wouldn't push me last time so I know he won't this time and he sure as heck won't pay for a wheelchair rental.
I was on one disney thread and a cast member said absolutely NO fast pass now for crutches. She seemed pretty sure of herself - she said the fast pass for medical is for NON visible things - well I do have a non-visible problem with my intersticial cystitis - but would never think to ask for a pass for it.
Sigh - I dread all that walking on crutches again - and I don't know what to do. I know they have shorter lines in Sept so that's a good thing.
Just looking for any experts - thanks.
And please - no husband bashing - he's a great guy - just not perfect. He really is a wonderful man and husband - he just doesn't get my need for the wheelchair and I'm not going to argue about it.
chickadee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #2  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

I won't bash your husband. Is it possible to reschedule this trip, and postpone it, at least until you are in less pain and more mobile?
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: LW/SW/CW/GW: 107/121/119.4/113

Height: 5'2

Check out this wesbite, specifically the stickied thread about the GAC: (I can't post links but google "Disboards" and go to the section titled "DISabilities")

Most likely, you'll need to rent a scooter or postpone your trip.
butterfliesinhereyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I have a friend who lives near Disneyworld, according to her, they have stopped doing fast pass for anyone in wheel chairs as teens were renting wheel chairs to skip to the front of the line.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #5  

It's a shame about the teens. You'd think if you had a note from a Dr. that it might help. As for rescheduling the trip - I thought about that. We had to reschedule the last one. Thank goodness for travel insurance! The last time I hurt my knee in Oct. and they couldn't do surgery until end of Nov. so we put the trip off until the 2nd week of December - the coldest winter of record in Orlando! I dread the thought of putting it off as my family is really really looking forward to it and I thought a couple of weeks into school wouldn't be as bad as a month or 2 into the school year - they won't miss as much. SIGH. Well, I guess if it starts to throb at least I can go to first aid and maybe they'd let me put some ice on it. And if I have to find a table to sit and rest while they do the rides that's fine. Today I tried going with them to a local water park and just the distance from the car to the main gate made my foot throb. Sigh sigh sigh. Thank you so much for the tip on how to find the thread. Shame on those teenagers! I guess they must have stopped for the crutches too. I will check it out. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Yeah, from what my friend was saying, you can go into the waiting area while your family goes through the line. I'm guessing they'd have a place to sit for you. You can always email, when my husband and I went, they were very responsive.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Most of the rides at Disney have these machines where you can get a ticket and it'll give you a time and once you come back at that time (or later) they let you go in the fast line. Although it can be a hassle to walk around and get to the machines for each ride then walk back :/

Are you planning to hop parks or are you planning to just go to one park for a day?
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

You can go to the guest services and they give you a pass to show when you are entering the line. This does not guarantee you to the front of the line. Sometimes you have to wait even longer with the disability pass. Can you get a knee scooter if you can't get a wheelchair? I think it would be more comfortable than using crutches.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #9  

I saw another thread about the knee scooter and there were more complaints than anything, saying they were difficult to manage - but even so - my main concern are steps. I went to the Disney Boards again today and they implied that if there is a ramp then I should be able to take it w/o a pass. So I don't know what to do at this point. I guess I'll just find out when I get there!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I'm not sure of the guidelines for the disability fast pass. However, it seems that your biggest issue will be with all the walking, not with standing in line. There's o way to avoid that unless you get a wheelchair.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

(This isn't intended in a mean way)If you're on crutches, you'll have a problem getting around no matter what; right? The problem won't be standing in line. I say bite the bullet and rent a wheelchair. If your husband won't push you, push yourself. Or get a scooter.

I looked online. Wheelchairs are only $12/day. $10/day if they're rented for multiple days.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote