Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #1  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Sleep issues!

So I haven't slept properly since the summer after high school. My body NEVER feels rested. But at night my brain won't shut down enough for me get past getting under the covers.
I have been on anti-depressants just to go to sleep in the past and I don't like taking them. In fact in unpacking I threw out a mostly full bottle.
Currently I take from 2 to 3 5mg of Melatonin, but those can take an hour to kick in and then last for a good 12 hours.
But considering my body won't feel those 12 hours why waste them, and if I wake up I am groggy.
In high school I could do 5 hours a night and feel fine. And sleep in on the weekends.
I don't know how to fix this sleeplessness.
Does anyone else have sleep issues?
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

I have trouble getting to sleep as well. Some things that really help me are:

Avoiding screen time (both TV and the Computer) 1 to 2 hours before bed time
Avoiding food an hour before bed.
Meditating while in bed.
Going to bed early at the same time every night, and waking up at the same time every morning.
Exercise during the day.
No napping during the day.

I find that avoiding the internet is definitely the best thing though.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I have trouble sleeping too. I try to exhaust myself til I fall asleep or lay in bed watching netflix til I'm sleepy. I'm technically on a prescription of trazadone but I prefer not to take it especially because my work schedule is always messed up so I can't afford to be groggy at a bad time...also its pretty much a guarantee I'll binge (I'll seriously be dead tired, about to fall asleep, and I'll be stuffing food in my mouth lol)
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #4  
bee

That's what they had me on. I just did not like it.
: ) I have notice those are helpful to go to sleep but it's not very fun lol

Last edited by beahawkins; 08-09-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/164/132

Height: 5'5

I rarely am able to fall asleep within at least an hour after going to bed... It usually takes me about an hour and a half to fall asleep.

I've never taken medication for it...

Despite this 'problem' I still go to bed every night at the same time, and wake-up every morning at the same time. I rarely ever take naps (only when the lack of sleep prevents me from doing my work, then I take a nap, just so I can function), and I also excercise a lot during the day...

I have no TV at home, and I only go online for facebook and 3fc...

I just resigned myself that this is how life will be, and that's it. It sucks, but nothing I can do short of taking meds, and I am definitely not about to start medicating myself (not the right choice for me, though it may very well be the solutions for others).

So sorry, nothing useful -- just sympathy
1yr2mkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #6  
bee

Thanks for the sympathy. Yeah, as for meds. I'm taking 3 already plus my vitamins. And I hate taking those I don't want to add to the mix. I have found that no electrics before bed is best. But that's so boring. Even reading. Most of my books are on a tablet. sigh lol
Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Do you like to paint or do any crafts? Maybe you could set aside an hour before bed as time to do coloring/knitting/etc. Turn on some low lighting; soft, calming music; light a candle with a soothing scent....

Ok, that actually sounds really good. I need to follow my own advice!
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/143/130

Height: 5'4

Ugh, sleep issues are the worst.

I read somewhere that it might not be actually using a computer/tablet at night that causes restless sleep but it might be the light of the device. There are apps that are designed to dim the light on your device in accordance with the time of day to help ease your body's transition out of the digital. I don't know if this is part of it but it could help you read from your tablet at night.

Other things I do when I have trouble sleeping is to do relaxation exercises. If I'm thinking about the events of the day visualizing myself filing away my troubles is strangely helpful. I sometimes also try to relax my body one section at a time from the feet up. I imagine my feet, legs, and arms getting heavier and take deep breaths. This usually works to get me in a still/calm mood.

Oh and getting into a routine like some other posters suggested can be helpful. Aside from going to bed at a regular hour sometimes the hour or so before hand washing my face and settling in is also great to help me relax.

Good luck!
Lauracore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #9  
bee

Quiet Ballerina: I do. I really need to get back into it. But my mind races so bad that it's hard to just stop and relax. It just wants to keep going. I have some stuff that I need to get back into. Maybe I should force myself to pick it up without anything else going on. : )

LauraCore: Thanks I will be trying those. Freshman year I took a yoga class and could get to sleep relaxing my body like that but then it got to a point that my body kind of stopped falling for it. I try to dim my lights at night mostly cause my eyes hurt. bleh I am starting some new meds that will hopefully kill the insomnia along with doing their job to fix my crazy hormones. thanks : )
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 221/201/150

Height: 5'8"

You can try a nightly ritual to get you in the sleep mindset. If you like to read, go to bed a little earlier than you want to fall asleep and read until you get tired. Eventually your body will associate the laying in bed reading with your body about to fall asleep and you will slowly fall asleep sooner. I hate not being able to sleep well so hopefully you can figure out something that helps soon.
stepharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #11  
bee

Thanks!! I've been analyzing my patterns and I think my problem could be that my bed functions as a desk and a couch. I have a desk so I should probably stop using my bed for so many things.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #12  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

melatonin is a natural supplement that helps me a lot. I luv it.
Chubbygirl253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #13  
bee

Thanks for the tip. When I remember to take it on time I love it. Other wise I seem to sleep very late.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #14  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

unsweetened/tart cherry juice (found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store) is supposed to help you fall asleep (saw it on Dr Oz). My mom knows people who swear by it. It takes me >45minutes to fall asleep, but I haven't tried this yet.
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #15  
Jonah

S/C/G: 440/Ticker/220

Height: 5" 11

Hey there,

What I usually find is that if you have a proper eating schedule, that your body's sleep rhythm is in tune with that.

Also, Its best to not be exercising minutes before bed as the body is excited and ready to go (anywhere but to sleep)

Lastly, If you are really tired and would like to try something that is effective but much more mild than anti-depressants, i suggest taking some time to look up Melatonin. Its a supplement that is naturally produced in your body to help you sleep.

Best Regards,

Jonah
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote