Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308

Height: 5' 4"

Default New, 56yo, needs support buddy..anybody?

Hello, I am over 150 pounds from my goal....starting new after gaining a lot of weight in the pass 6 months. I had been losing weight at a steady pace until I started having knee problems. Then came the summer heat. I didn't grow up overweight but gained my pounds during and after having my three sons. Then there was the total hip replacement, then back surgery. I also have a few other health problems that are chronic. I don't like to call my eating a diet....of course I have to lose weight but I really, really want to feel better about myself both physically and emotionally. I don't work, my husband is a teacher, so I am at home alone ALL DAY....I don't have any family in town. I am active at church but I don't have any really close relationships with anyone there.
So I have been eating out of boredom, loneliness, and laziness.

I am using calorie counting and the Lose It app on my iPad. I would just like to start a conversation with someone who doesn't mind me tagging along. I am 56 years old, married, three grown sons living out of town. I feel so needy right now....thinking about deleting this post but I'm going out of my comfort zone and I will push post. Thanks!
Ladystringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #2  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

A warm welcome to you Ladystringer! This is a wonderful forum; there's lots of support for you here.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

Welcome Lady! You've come to the right place. There are lots of wonderful supportive people on this forum. Whenever you find yourself wanting to eat come here and talk to someone instead.
I am just a few years younger than you and I have almost 100 lbs to lose after gaining quiet a few pounds since the beginning of the year. We could be buddies
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #4  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I'm glad you pushed post and didn't delete it. We all need support. Honestly, without 3FC and the support from the folks on here, there's NO WAY I'd have been able to stick to this whole life change plan. Yes I suppose one can do it themselves but it's really hard and I imagine much harder without support.

This forum has been my only source of support throughout my journey. There's something about the anonymity and the fact I know that every single person on here knows how tough it is to lose and maintain that makes the journey so much easier. So please please keep posting. Keep seeking. It will keep you accountable and help you feel a little less alone with this.

Start a challenge or join one. Post about your struggles and your victories. I think my first few months one here most of my posts were about food temptations and asking people on here to talk me off the edge of comfort eating and eating for the sake of eating.

How active are you/can you get now? Is it possible to join a club or volunteer activity or walking or swimming club or book or film club? Anything? I tend to be a stay-at-home-and-laze sort of person but it also makes it difficult to avoid comfort eating. Getting out definitely helps with boredom and abusive eating habits, I find.

I used an Ipod calorie counting app too and it's a pretty great idea. Ultimately know you can do this. Have faith! Everything is possible. If you want to change you will. Come on here, ask questions, ask for help if you need it. I'm nearer the end of my journey but I understand what it's like and I know it's not easy so I'm definitely willing to be a buddy.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #5  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I'm 54 and use Lose It as well. I'm on a small team, Victory's Secret. Look for it on the "Teams, Contests and Fun" forum and feel free to join us. We participate in the monthly competition but don't really care much about it. I'm Steph363 over there, so feel free to friend me.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote