Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 09:01 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 4/7 - 4/13

Starting the topic. Be back in a bit
Old 04-07-2003, 09:47 AM   #2  

Good morning. I managed not to get selected for a jury on Friday and now my jury service is complete. I wouldn't have minded if I knew that after sitting on the jury each day I didn't have to go home and work for a few hours! In any case, it's back to work. We are expecting a significant snowfall today - very weird for April!

I'm reporting a maintain - a little disappointing since I am still 1.6 away from my first 10 pounds but I'll take - I guess it's not bad for having been away. I did some exercise towards the end of the week and over the weekend which felt good. I hope to get something in today either at lunch or after work if it's after work it depends on when we get back from my eye doctor appt this afternoon (if we end up going because of the weather).

Judy
163.6/155.2/135 and 6.50/240 workouts
Old 04-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Judy - Yay for not getting selected for a jury. Congrats on the maintain. Don't fret - it just means your body will drop all the more weight next week. We did get snow here - about an inch or so. They were predicting 6-7 inches, so we got lucky. The weather is fluctuating so wildly - I just wish it would pick a happy medium and stay there for awhile.

The weekend was so-so - didn't do great, didn't do too badly. I haven't been journaling though, so I definitely have to get back on track there. I didn't get in my exercise last week, so I'll be making up another week of the SELF challenge. I'll be two weeks behind, but better that than quiting altogether. Today I think I'll do a strength and flexibility workout. Tomorrow I'm meeting a friend for luch, but we're going to Panera Bread, which is on Dottie's site, so it will be easy to figure out a couple of point-friendly options. Saturday is my MIL's birthday and we're going to a Churrascurrio (sp?) - A Brazilian restaurant featuring grilled meat. They bring it around to the table and you can have as much as you want of whatever you want. There is also, from what I understand, a huge salad and side dish bar. I'm going to start practicing my mantra now - small portions, small portions, small portions.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 04-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #4  
Canadian, eh?

Hi from the rainy west coast!

It's pouring here. However, I shouldn't complain...sounds like you guys have it a lot worse than me in the weather department. The good part is that my daffodils are in bloom, and my tulips are not far behind!

Judy - good thing you managed to avoid jury duty. A friend of mine was summoned for jury duty for the Air India bombing case which is expected to go on for months if not years. Luckily they have dismissed all potential jurors and decided to try the case by judge only. You're doing great...getting close to that 10 lbs. So what if it takes you a little longer? I think you're our poster girl these days!

Carla - yup, journalling is a biggy...I have to get back to it too. The Brazillian restaurant sounds very cool. Good for you for not giving up on the SELF challenge.

I threw everything to the wind this weekend and paid no attention to being OP, although I didn't go wild either. Saturday was my birthday, I got french toast for breakfast in bed, went out for lunch with the girls, and went to a lovely seafood restaurant for dinner. I had chilean seabass, & sundried blueberry and hazelnut cheesecake for dessert. MMMMMM. Back to reality today. I've been sitting at the computer working on my first two courses for most of the day, and have forced myself to get a glass of water every hour. I've made a date with the treadmill for tomorrow right after work.

Have a good one!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:03 PM   #5  

Carla - I have to admit that I didn't journal when I was away last week. Did you journal so far today? I find that it's really key. How was your lunch at Panera? I've heard of Churrascurrio restaurants and always wanted to try them. I agree that the portions are important but actually grilled meat shouldn't be too bad, right? Good for you for not quitting the SELF challenge. Did you get in a strength/flexibility workout?

Karen - Happy (belated) birthday!!!! I'm glad you had such a lovely birthday. What you ate doesn't sound too bad - I think having an indulgence once in a while is good for us - it helps us to avoid binges. Good for you for getting that water in every hour.

I had am OK day yesterday. I got a strength workout in after work and managed to go less than 1/2 point over my max yesterday. I must flush out the salt though. Saturday's dinner was very salty as was last nights. My sneak peek yesterday and today was sort of frightening. I'm in the middle of PMS which doesn't help matters either. I don't know if I'll get any workout in today - when I come home from the city, the only thing I want to do is have dinner and relax. Oh well, off to my next meeting.

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 04-08-2003, 07:52 PM   #6  

Default Checking in

Hi ladies,

Just a quick flyby to report a 1.5 pound loss! I'd be more excited if that was a loss from my low of 159, but then I gained those four pounds ... Oh well, what's important is that I have stopped gaining and am now losing again.

I've decided that I've been spending too much time in the gym and not getting any results, so I've cranked my exercise up a notch, as Emeril would say. I'm now doing only 30 minutes of cardio, but it's more intense. I'm doing 2 minutes at 3.8 MPH, then 2 minutes at 5.5 MPH, doing intervals for 30 minutes. And I get in 15 minutes of weights or more with every workout. The running is already starting to pay off in increased energy. I just have to be careful of my knee, so I'm going to start taking Glucosamine (sp?) again.

I started my new job this week and while it is totally overwhelming, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Everyone is so nice and the company has their sh** together, the other place was total chaos.

Gotta run! I'll check in later to see how everyone is doing.

S.

166/161.5/135
Old 04-08-2003, 09:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello ladies,

Sabrina I am glad the new job is good. I know what it is like to work for people that don't have it all together. And a huge Congratulations on the 1.5 loss. I like your positive attitude

Happy belated Birthday Karen. It sounds like a good one. What a treat breakfast in bed. I agree with the others, don't worry about what you ate, birthdays only come around once a year.

Carla, I am so impressed with how you are determined to do the SELF Challenge. I need to get my fanny back into gear.

Judy, You are so close to your 10 that I know it will be here really soon. You have been so dedicated.

I am happy to report a loss this week 1.5 I tried to get on the treadmill today, but was only able to do 1 mile at a slow walk. I have had a cold for 2 weeks and everytime I raise my heartrate I go into a coughing fit. I plan on spending more time with that machine really soon.

Anne
194/183.5/140
Old 04-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #8  

Hi all.

Karen - A belated Happy Birthday to you! Sounds like you had a lovely time celebrating it. I agree with Judy - what you ate doesn't sound too bad. Good for you for forcing yourself to take water breaks while you're doing your coursework.

Judy - I'm sending you guzzling vibes so you get that water in. I've done better today with water than I've done in awhile. No, I didn't journal yesterday, but I picked up my notebook and started journaling today. I figure if I can keep up the journal and the water, I have half the battle won. I can understand how you don't want to do a workout when you get home from the city. I remember those days of just wanting to collapse. Hard to believe that it's been almost 10 months since I worked.

Sabrina - Congrats on a lovely loss! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your new job. I think you should see good results with do the intervals. That's what I've been doing on the bike. That's actually one of the main thrusts of the SELF challenge this year. Do you find that Glucosamine really helps? I've thought about taking it.

Anne - Sorry to hear you've been battling a cold for so long. Take it easy on the treadmill. Keep in mind that even if you take it slowly and don't raise your heartrate, getting on the treadmill helps to reinforce the habit. You can kick it up a notch when you're feeling better. As for the SELF challenge, thank you for your kind thought. I'd be more impressed with myself if I were on schedule with it, but I'm pretty pleased all the same that I'm sticking with it, imperfectly as it may be.

Speaking of exercise, after a week of being a slug, I knew that I had to get with it. It's nice and sunny out today and I really wanted to take a walk, but decided I probably shouldn't push my knee that much yet. So I got on the bike. I actually like doing the intervals on the bike because it makes the time go faster. Tonight I will definitely do a strength and flexibility workout. Now to get back on track with eating (so far, so good today). As for my weigh-in today, I'm down 8/10ths of a pound. I wish it were more, but I'm glad it wasn't another gain.

Have a great day.
Carla
271.4/271.4 (sigh)/140
Old 04-10-2003, 01:55 PM   #9  

Sabrina - congratulations on that great loss! Forget those 4 pounds - you're right - what's important is that you are losing again. Good for you for cranking up the volume on your exercising - that's exactly what you need to do when it stops giving you results. That's great about your new job. I *really* have to get moving on getting myself out of where I am!

Anne - congratulations on that great loss! That's great that you got on the treadmill but maybe your experience is telling you that you need a little more rest?? Just something to think about. I'm very careful of exercising whenever I have any chest congestion.

Carla - Congratulations on the loss. I know you wish it were more but you are right, it's better than a gain and it's a step in the right direction. Good for you on getting on the bike!! I hope Tony can put mine together this Sunday. He started to last weekend but they didn't include any instructions! They faxed them this week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I take Glucosamine and it really helps my knees. Two weeks before we meet!

I had a so-so day yesterday - I definitely have the PMS monster stomping around the house and gave in to a little sweet and salty cravings last night. I went over max by two but I did get in a good workout this morning that wiped out the deficit. The important thing is keeping the food in check today. Tony is in CT for a business meeting and told me not to wait to have dinner. I'm planning on having one of the Mrs. Paul's Shrimp bowls and a salad. I just have to guzzle water though because they are high in sodium. My sneak peek is up from Saturday's number so I want to really watch myself today and tomorrow and see if I can squeak out a maintain or maybe a tiny loss.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 04-10-2003, 09:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone,

Carla, Congrats on the 8/10ths. I love to count every little change. Good for you for getting on that bike Did you get in your strength and flexibility workout?

Judy, You always sound so organized. You plan ahead and make things work for you. You are certainly a good role model for me. I have to admit that if my hubbie was away for dinner, my dinner probably would be Ben and Jerry's. I will have to try to follow your lead.

I have had a few so so days and my sneak peeks seem to be showing an upward trend. I am really going to have to work on it and start pounding the water. There seem to be a little to much splashing going on in the tub, time for Charlie to get out.

Anne
Old 04-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #11  

Anne - I'm pounding the water with you. Yes, I had a good plan and I did OK until about 8:00. I was expecting Tony to be home by then but he called to say he was just leaving. Well, between that and PMS I just snacked too much and ended going over by 2.5 points. Best laid plans.... I suppose it could have been worse if I didn't plan at all.

Well, as I said above, I didn't have such a good day yesterday. Between my snacking and the high salt content of dinner and my snacks, my rings are very tight today and my sneak peek was atrocious. I may take a no-weigh day tomorrow. Actually, I was thinking of exercising tomorrow morning instead of going to my meeting so I have some points in the bank for the weekend. I'm 1/2 point in the hole after last night and need some extra points. We're going to friends tomorrow - the food will be pretty reasonable point-wise. With these friends it's the drinks that add up! We're also going to my mom's for breakfast on Sunday. We're having bagels & lox which won't be too bad and will really be more like brunch.

I'm guzzling water like crazy today - it seems like I'm drinking almost as much as we're getting with this nor'easter!

Have a great weekend,
Judy
Old 04-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #12  

Hi all -

Judy - Two more weeks - I can't believe that after 4.5 years we're going to get to meet. I'll e-mail you next week so we can coordinate! Now, keep drinking that water and put some lemon in it! What a bummer that they didn't send instructions with your bike! Do they have a website - you may be able to pull instructions from there if you don't get a return fax.

Anne - You're right - every bit of change counts. Nope, I haven't got in a strength and flexibility workout yet - that's definitely in the works for tonight.

It's sunny and warm here today. Yay! I've been doing good on getting in the water, so/so on the journaling. I may try to get out and about this afternoon for a walk. John took the day off as he's going into work tonight, so he and Ana are out and about. I'd be with them, but I had to do some time on the computer. I had to check out a job that I got a call about this morning. It sounds pretty interesting and it be about a 1/2 hour drive from home, depending upon traffic. Far better than the hour train commute I had been doing. The H.R. person that called me told me to check the job out on their website and call her if I was interested. I left her a message so we'll see if the hiring manager gives me a call. Unemployment is running out in a few weeks and, as much as I don't want really to go back to work, I don't want our finances to be as tight as they would be either.

Have a great weekend.

Carla
Closed Thread