UK Fat Chicks - alternate day diet

View Full Version : alternate day diet

nicolae
08-08-2012, 09:56 AM
ok so after watching a tv program and reading up online im going to start to alternate day diet starting monday with a down day (eating 500kcals)
or as close to 500 as possible. 2 slim fast shakes and a low fat soup with water to drink. it seems to work for the people that are on it and it sounds like somthing i could do as i know that no matter how hungry i am on my down days ill have an up day the next day where i can eat (dare i say) naughty foods, where as now naughty foods are deffo off limit completely.
does anyone on here have any tips?

stef
08-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi, and good luck.

My biggest tip is to get your Down Days organised. The JUDDD version suggest slimfast shakes (2 a day) to get your head off food and into diet mode for the first 2 weeks. I continue to have slimfast available so that if I forget to make a DD meal I can still DD without thinking.

So my home and work fridge both have a multi pack of slimfast shakes in them and probably always will. Thankfully that's cheap enough to keep stocked you can get them for a pound a pop!

Look online for low cal meals, keep them as close to your normal as possible. That way I barely feel I am dieting. I use BBC Good Food and look for starters and light meals under 200kcals. That way I can add kcals, like a pita pocket, and still be on track.

AND get yourself a calorie counter/diary. I use Myfitnesspal as it has a more UK food bank. Calorie Count has better tools but is very American - I don't even recognise half of the food replacement things they have!

AND THEN keep coming here and anywhere else you can find to help keep you motivated!

stef
08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Do you want to use your thread for recipe swaps? It has a better title than mine :)

Pudgebrownie
08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I would like to join you ladies :]

I will be grocery shopping this evening or tomorrow for appropriate "down day" foods. I'm reading that Slim Fasts are a good choice for meal fillers. I have a box of Fiber Ones that are great meal substitutes as well. What are some other ideas that are low calorie but somewhat satisfying? I love bread, pasta and potatoes, and it's so hard to go a day without one or all three. Any low cal rice dish recipes that might be a good replacement?

I'll check back periodically for updates.

PinkWombat
08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I have only just started this method but this is what I have found so far :)

I find that eggs are easy and low in calories. You can have one egg and a couple of whites with a slice of ham and any veg you fancy throwing in.
I am really enjoying salads as well at the moment- particularly rocket and cucumber with balsamic vinegar and tomato.
Soup is always a good option as well- I make my own using chicken stock with asparagus and broccoli (but you can put in any low carb veg) then blend it up with a hand blender till its smooth.
Strawberries and raspberries are really low in calories and last a while if you freeze them.

I think my method so far seems to be finding the foods lowest in calories and eating heaps of them so it feels like I am eating a meal even though its only 200cal.

I am also eager to hear other meal ideas for down days :)

MissD
08-09-2012, 05:06 AM
I'm going to give this a go too. Not just for fat loss reasons. Apparently eating like this can help prevent age related illness, and improve repair of the body, which is my main reason for trying. My understanding is that you need to eat all your calories in one sitting and fast for the rest of the day to give you the anti-aging benefits. Does anyone know anything more about this aspect?

3CatsMeow
08-09-2012, 05:08 AM
I'm trying this method too. 500 calories in down days, and trying to be moderately healthy on the others. I may try it for a week and see if I can manage it/if it works for me.

I enjoyed the horizon programme, the scientific evidence presented in it seemed legitimate.

wana wear a bikini
08-09-2012, 05:55 AM
I'm extremely curious about this, I was actually talking to my boyfriend about doing a Slimfast kind of thing on weekends last week, not knowing that it was an actual real diet plan! I'm hopeful that just having down days on a Saturday will be enough though - I have a very physical job and I know I won't manage it on 500 cals. Good luck to all you ladies who are trying it, it would be interesting to start a progress thread since so many people are starting this.

I'd love to see that Horizon programme, but can't watch it from Sweden :(

BelleinAsia
08-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Alternate day diet sounds interesting - I've never heard of it before. I'm off to google...

Nibbles
08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I did alternate day dieting for a month. (A more extreme version...I alternate day fasted.) I loved the freedom of knowing that I was going to have an eat day, and it helped me maintain my self control on the fasting day.

However, a word of caution: Do not do this if you know you have gall stones. I didn't know I did at the time, but this diet exacerbated the problem immensely. The gallbladder apparently appreciates more frequent fat-containing meals than this program allows for, and the result for me was hours of stomach pain on the nights of my "up" days even if I ate very moderately.

Now that I know I have (well, had...cholecystectomy) gall stones, it makes sense, but at the time I was baffled.

Karriegem
08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Nibbles, do you mean that you didn't eat anything at all on alternate days?Just out of interest - how effective did you find the diet? How much did you lose in the month?

K x

3CatsMeow
08-10-2012, 05:21 AM
My first day of fasting went OK yesterday, dropped a couple pounds of water weight, and at night my hunger was OK. My next fast day will be Sunday.

mountain walker
08-10-2012, 06:54 AM
can I just add a word of caution from the old and wise?
When we all did Rosemary Conley in the 1980's it was "lower the fat the better" but actually our bodies do need a little fat for lots of things. Good point about your gall bladder also I found I had terribly stiff aching joints and I was only in my early 20's. It went as soon as I increased my fat intake ( needless to say it was one of my zillion failed diets!)
Hope you all find what works for you!

Nibbles
08-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Nibbles, do you mean that you didn't eat anything at all on alternate days?Just out of interest - how effective did you find the diet? How much did you lose in the month?

K x

That's right, Karriegem. I only ate every other day. I drank a lot of water on the days when I didn't eat, and I may have had a hot tea here and there, but that was it.

It sounds extreme, but for me it worked very well (apart from the gallbladder problem, which not everyone will have).

During the day, I tend not to get hungry until I eat something. So skipping breakfast, for example, is a pretty smart thing in my case because my system just doesn't remember that it wants food until I've put some in it. With this diet, I didn't miss having breakfast or lunch on the fasting days. I'd usually be pretty darn hungry by suppertime, but I would stave it off by promising myself really lovely meals the next day.

The next morning, my feasting day, I would usually eat whatever my family had had for supper the night before. I felt like the extra protein, extra calories in that part of my day was a good idea since I was only eating every other day. Then I would do lunch, supper, and snacks like normal.

A lot of people think you would gorge yourself if you ate like this, but I found it had the opposite effect. I was actually less hungry than I should have been when I did eat, and I ate more moderate portions. So on my feasting days, I was probably eating about 100-125% of my maintenance calories, instead of 200% like you might think.

I lost about twelve pounds over the course of the month, which I could have done through calorie restriction and exercise of course. But for me, it was the convenience that made the diet enjoyable. I didn't have to count calories or debate whether or not I could have something I really wanted. (I could on my feast day; I couldn't on my fast day.)

It took a ton of the forced willpower out of it for me, because there's not really much temptation when you know you can't eat. You avoid the one-more-bite-couldn't-hurt phenomenon, because the first bite is against the rules.

It's not for everyone of course, but I can see why a lot of people choose this route. I'll stick with my calorie counting for now, but I do think fondly of my ADF diet every time I have to turn down a serving of mac and cheese because I've already had too many calories in a day. Obviously, I liked the results enough to keep it up even though I was in pain every other night. Stupid, Nibbles.

Good luck, Guys!

3CatsMeow
08-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Started my second '500 cal' fast day today - The weight I lost last fast day seems to have stayed off since then, which is nice. I've been eating at normal maintenance cals the other 2 days, maybe a little less.

stef
08-12-2012, 08:31 AM
It gets better...

... I had a medium day on Friday and an Up day yesterday. This morning I feel stuffed, breakfast in bed was a bit unwelcome and it was only scrambled eggs on toast rather than the usual bacon and eggs on toast.

4 hours on and I am still feeling uncomfortably full.

On another forum ( :?: ) this is a recognised phenomenon apparently, the feeling good, healthy and well motivated after 3 or 4 weeks.

Still have a headachey feeling though so I am concentrating on hydration today. Wonder if it will show on the scales? If it does I won't worry, just adjust and keep going!

TeachMe
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Am on day 4! The two fast days were a bit easier than I expected, but did make sure to get into bed earlier to avoid late-night cravings. I bought some whey protein powder to make shakes and added some fruit and nuts to get up to 500 cals. Actually lost 6 pounds, but don't really want to lose too quickly or I won't keep it off.

The woman on the tv show said it didn't matter what you ate on the alternate days, but she hasn't seen me eat, so I'm not going to take that comment as gospel!

PinkWombat
08-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Week one down and I have lost 6 pounds this week. This is normal for me when starting any new weight loss method and it is definitely a great start.
I found the second fast day this week really challenging- I probably drank a litre of fruit tea!

Pudgebrownie
08-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I've lost 3 pounds thus far.

5 days (800 or less calories): 2 days (1000+ calories). On "down days", depending on my appetite, I'll eat around 100 calories throughout the day to hold off hunger, and other times I'll eat about 200 calories divided up into 4 meals: breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner. I have found that this way, I don't feel like I'm in starvation mode and constantly hungry.. On 1000+ calorie days, I typically stay within the 800 - 1200 range with home cooked food, otherwise I find myself anywhere between 1000 - 1500 calories if eating elsewhere.

A great light snack are plain cheese quesidillas. (1) serving is 240 calories. I had this for lunch. Recipe: x1 tortilla, x1 Tillamook cheese slice, fold tortilla in half, cut cheese into 1/4 pieces and fill tortilla, grill without butter/oil - yum!

wana wear a bikini
08-13-2012, 04:37 AM
Well I fasted from Friday after dinner until yesterday dinnertime and I'm down almost 6lbs this week! My weight has been stalling for over a year despite my best efforts and ridiculous amounts of exercise, so if this is the thing that gets it going again I'm willing to put up with weekend hunger if I have to!

BTW, the first fast day I used Slimfast (or the Swedish equivalent) - the hunger was unbearable. The second day I had actual food, albeit very low in calories and it was much more manageable.

Lorripie77
08-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Ive started alternate day diet today. Thought I would try for couple of weeks to see if it suited me.
I didn't eat till 5pm today and will have normal day tomorrow then same again on Wednesday. I'm only doing it two days in seven like the guy on horizon.
I'm 5ft 7 and 11 1/2 stone so want to lose a stone. Would like to think I can do it as I found today easy enough but I know I eat more from habit than hunger and that's hard to break ;)
Nice to know I'm not alone

3CatsMeow
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Really haven't been that hungry today (normal day), I think because of my fast day yesterday. Lost 1.2 pounds, I'll see if the scale goes up again though tomorrow (eaten maintenance calories today). I may try a fast day tomorrow, depending on my appetite.

I hope this thread keeps going, maybe we could tell the horizon people about it if works well for a lot of us :p

LaurieDawn
08-13-2012, 05:24 PM
I am very interested in trying this. I want to do Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday as down days, Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday as up days, and Friday as a moderate day.

I am doing The New Rules of Lifting For Women program, though. I want to lift on up days, and do light cardio on down/moderate days, with one down day a rest day.

Does this sound like a workable plan? I anticipate 4-500 calories on down days and 15-1600 on up days.

TeachMe
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Finished 3rd alternate fasting day today. I did feel hungry at times, but surprised when it passed. I had gained 1pound after yesterday's 'normal' eating, but we had company and I did eat a lot!
I am finding it easier to do when I'm busy, so may opt for Mon, Wed and Fri as down days when school starts again. Or so I think! It will be nice to see how we're doing after a few weeks.
My goal is to cycle for 40 minutes every other day and am not finding that difficult on down days. I drink the protein shake after.

nicolae
08-14-2012, 04:37 AM
it was my birthday weekend this weekend just gone so i enjoyed myself rather than fasting. i had an up day yesterday and today is my first down day. my stomach is rumbiling already lol.
im feeling pretty upbeat though reading through these posts, you have all done so well! welldone! xx

mariposssa
08-14-2012, 05:04 AM
I have been following a LC JUDDD version of alternate day dieting since March. Several years ago I lost 50lbs on JUDDD. I recommend getting protein for breakfast hardboiled eggs, egg beaters, bacon, turkey sausage, hungry girl mug omelets, etc. The protein really makes a difference in hunger management for me.

1 HB egg and 2 strips micro bacon is 110 calories. The protein keeps me full til lunch or beyond. I tried shakes and they just didn't cut it for me. I need to chew something. ;)

ETA: We (dh and I) also do a lot of homemade soups on DD-down day. If you search WW zero point or one point soups there are SO many. My faves are vegetable, chicken vegetable, chili and taco soup. I also like to eat chicken with green beans or a LC tortilla to make quesadillas or pizzas on DD.

I heard that you can watch that Horizon program on youtube; but I haven't seen it yet.

mariposssa
08-14-2012, 05:27 AM
OK...one more thing. If you are going to try this WOE be prepared for the scale to do crazy things. It will bounce up and down a lot. If you are a daily weighing person;you'll want to be prepared for high numbers on UP days. I usually see my lowest weigh in on my 3rd DD of the week. But, then the scale will bounce quite a bit until the end of the next week and that number will get lower. Last weeks low number will start to be next weeks high number. It is like 2 steps forward one step back all the time.

roobear
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I tried this a few years ago and hated it, I found it really hard to count having only 500 calories, having not really counted calories before and not really realising how little 500 is when you have to include all the little things like butter and drinks. I found it really really hard on down days when I was starving hungry and didn't even have enough calorie allowance for beans on toast. My bf eventually looked it up and told me how unhealthy it was, I would never do it again.

LaurieDawn
08-15-2012, 01:21 PM
No disrespect intended, but what does 'looking it up' entail, exactly? I can find 'evidence' that supports a finding that ANY way of eating is unhealthy. Certainly, more experts than not would say calorie-containing drinks, butter, and toast should not be a consistent part of any healthy eating plan. I am not saying you shouldn't eat them, merely that an inability to include them on a daily basis is NOT a hallmark of an unhealthy plan.

I am curious about this and whether I can feel good doing it. But having read some of the literature on the impact fasting has on blood chemistry and hormones helpful to weight loss, it seems very healthy, assuming sufficient calories and nutrition on up days.

stef
08-15-2012, 04:46 PM
... egg beaters... turkey sausage, hungry girl mug omelets, etc. ... LC tortilla to make quesadillas or pizzas ....

I heard that you can watch that Horizon program on youtube; but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm not sure we can get many of those here, mariposssa. :D

Youtube has the prgramme cut up into 15 minute chunks, happy watching!

(I'm off to try to find soem of thise American diet foods.... what are they?)

wana wear a bikini
08-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Just thought I'd pop on here and see how everyone is doing with their fasting.

I can only fast at the weekends which isn't very convenient since that's when I'm not busy and it's difficult to fast when the freezer is full of food and I'm bored. I'm also a little concerned about having 5 'feed days' in a row, not sure that it'll have the same effect. But the scales are being good to me so far so I will persevere.

If anyone is interested, there is a very busy thread about this on Mumsnet that I stumbled upon, and a related 'diet ideas' thread which I can't be bothered finding the link for! - http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/a1535972-5-2-Diet-Thread

mariposssa
08-15-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure we can get many of those here, mariposssa. :D

Youtube has the prgramme cut up into 15 minute chunks, happy watching!

(I'm off to try to find soem of thise American diet foods.... what are they?)

Oh...sorry. Must have forgotten I was posting in the across the pond section. ;)

Egg beaters are an egg white/egg substitute thing. It is in a carton here and found near the eggs in our stores. Very low calorie. You could just use egg whites or even one egg instead. The eggs I get say 70 calories. Hungry girl is a person not a product. She has a TV show, website, recipe books, etc. I really like her egg mcmuggin recipes. They are mini omelettes made in a coffee mug in the micro with the egg beaters and Laughing Cow cheese wedges. If you can't get those, I'm really sorry because they are 35 calories of awesome cheesy wonderfulness. :) linky... http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1256

Turkey sausage links are in the freezer section here in a small box. I never thought I would like microwave bacon. But, it is shelf stable and has 20 calories per bacon strip. I eat it way too much because it is so easy, 30 seconds in the micro and 40 calories of bacon for breakfast. My mom gets the turkey micro bacon; but I only like the turkey sausage. For 20 calories I'll take the piggy bacon, please. :smug:

Low carb tortillas, I usually find mine in the refrigerated section with the other tortillas. They are kind of expensive here. But, they are low calorie, low carb and high fiber; so, I buy them maybe once a month and use sparingly.

3CatsMeow
08-16-2012, 05:52 AM
Gave up on my attempted extra fast day on Tuesday and ended up getting drunk... oops. Today is my 'official' fast day and I will be doing it properly. Gonna have cups of tea/coffee and count the calories from them, and scrambled egg on nimble toast (slice of nimble bread is only 51 cals) and then frozen mixed berries later. yum yum

TeachMe
08-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Finished first week and down 5 pounds! Happy with that. I'm realising that a lot of my eating might be down to just breaking up the day and not real hunger.

3CatsMeow
08-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Finished my fast day yesterday and it went well - I had 3 cups coffee, 2 '10 cal' sugar free jelly pots, a fried egg (w/ 2 sprays 1 cal spray) on slice of nimble, 300grams mixed frozen berries and 2 italian veggie sausages.

I think the more days you fast, the easier it becomes. You also get to know which eating patterns work best for your body i.e. I've learnt I feel best when I eat my first 'meal' in the afternoon/early evening.

Keep up the good work everyone!

wana wear a bikini
08-18-2012, 04:18 AM
Everyone seems to be doing quite well so far! I'm just on to report an 8lb loss in my first week! I can't believe it! I'm sure that some of it will be water weight but not all of it, and since it's my first steady loss in more than a year I'm thrilled! And I haven't denied myself anything I wanted during the week. Today is a fast day which I'm not looking forward to but am a bit more armed with food ideas to keep me as filled up as possible.

Good luck to everyone else!

TeachMe
08-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Wana wear a bikini--well done! I also have been in a holding pattern for a year and am so happy to see things moving again.

MissD
08-19-2012, 06:41 AM
I also posted this on the Eat Stop Eat thread...
I did my second fast on wednesday. It was much harder than the first, but I think that was because I was at work. I wasn't actually very hungry, but there was so much food everywhere, my will power was tested!

The interesting thing was today... I was at work and boredom and stress started me thinking about food. It wasn't a fast day, but for some reason I thought of how I felt when I fasted and realised I wasn't hungry at all, so didn't snack. If nothing else fasting had helped me know what hunger feels like and I am controlling my eating even when I am not fasting.

On the weight loss front, I have broken a 3 month plateau, lost 0.5% body fat an gone down 3lbs! :carrot:

This has been a real eye opener for me. I am so glad I tried it.

TeachMe
08-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Day 9. Because I am at home alone today I am thinking more about food (ie, what could I eat when no one will see me). But I am really wanting to not do that anymore, so here I am posting instead. But make no mistake, today is HARD!

MissD
08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Keep going! Distract yourself. Read all the posts on 3FC, that will keep you busy for a while! ANything good on the TV? A nice walk? A nap? Anything, just don't give in! *sending positive vibes*

TeachMe
08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Thank you, Miss D! 4 hours later and I've managed to stay op.
And well done to you for getting so close to goal!

MissD
08-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Thank you, Miss D! 4 hours later and I've managed to stay op.
And well done to you for getting so close to goal!

Hurray! Well done you! I knew you could do it.

I can't quite believe I am 5lb from goal...

3CatsMeow
08-21-2012, 05:49 AM
How is everyones diet going? I think today I am going to try a moderate day (1200 cals) and see how it goes...

TeachMe
08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Day 12. Still giving it my best! A fast day today and am doing my best to keep busy. Part of what got me into this state is that one thing I like to do to keep busy is bake! But NO baking on down days!

Yesterday I had 2200 cals, which I think was pretty good for an up day--not crazy with food, but not restrictive either. Thats how I want to play it at the moment.

TeachMe
08-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Finished 2weeks. Am down 5 pounds, but I was down 5 pounds at the end of the first week, so no loss this week. I had 2 days of 500 cals, 1 moderate day of 1200 and the other 4 were normalish days. I think I averaged 1500-1600 cals a day over the week. So while I think I would lose a bit considering my weight with those calories, I think maybe this week was about evening out the water loss from week one, if that makes sense. If I don't lose anything in week 3 I'll have to think again! But still happy to,keep going.

belmagick
08-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Hey everyone,

I thought i'd jump in. After seeing the Michael Mosely documentary I've been doing this too! I am doing this twice a week and this week is my second week. What can I say except wow?

Since I'm a featherweight my weight loss had slowed to crawl and it was taking me about around a month to lose a pound! I've been dieting for well over a year and to be honest, I was getting really frustrated. To make matters worse, I went on holiday and gained half a stone and then seemed to plateau when I tried to lose it again.

Doing this ADD thing has really kick-started my weight loss again. During the week I have two very low calorie days (200-400 cals), two eat-whatever-I-want days and three on plan days (for me it's 1200 calories).

The first very low calorie day was HARD, I had headaches, I felt sick and was really short tempered but my second, third and fourth were a breeze.

It's amazing how doing this is really working for me (I'm no longer fretting about going out with my friends and indulging) which is something I've really missed.

It's still early days yet, but I've broken my plateau and even after fasting, I still have plenty of energy to exercise. I'm going to be interested to see whether this early weight loss is here to stay!

TeachMe
08-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for your post Belmagick. I like the way you have split up your days and may try that in the future, though for the moment I am really happy with every other day. To be honest I think I just feel excited about eating what I want every other day rather than every day being restrained. On up days I'm trying to make sure what I eat is interesting and flavourful and I actually don't feel like going mad because I know I can eat again in 2 days.

However, I am interested in whether other people are having headaches. For the last week it feels like I have a mild headache every day, not just fast days. Maybe it's the food, maybe it's the weather!

How's everyone else doing?

TeachMe
08-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Wow-has everyone given up?
I'm still trying it here, but not sure about how it will end up. Fast days my weight is down and eating days it's right back up. However, I was doing it for more reasons than weight loss (bp and cholesterol levels) so want to try and give it at least 6 weeks.

Headaches seem to have lessened,thankfully.

stef
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Well! Even in a week when I have had BIG work pressures I managed 2 DDs. An I seem to have lost a permanent pound (2 at most).

Yay!

TeachMe
09-02-2012, 06:05 AM
3weeks in and only 2 real pounds lost. A bit gutted to be honest, but I can only say it is my own fault for eating too much on up days. It has been a stressful week, so,going tomcarrynon for another week and then decide. :(

stef
09-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Don't give up! I've just had a 2 week stall, mainly cos I wasn't always thinking. And now it has started again.

If you like the fast: feast pattern stick with it. It is slow and steady and could easily become a forever diet.

But if you don't like it good luck find the one way for you :)

MissD
09-02-2012, 09:18 AM
I am seeing fat loss more than weight loss with fasting, but I also like the health benefits it gives. The fat loss is more of a bonus. If you like doing it, then stick with it for the positive health aspects rather than the weight loss. Good luck!

TeachMe
09-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the pep talks! I think I will stick with it for 6 weeks as originally planned. Good that I had a reassessment though, as I was clearly going to town on up days! Will plan more carefully for next 3 weeks.

Moobie
09-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been fasting on Mon, Wed and Friday for the last 3 weeks and my scales haven't shifted at all other than being a bit lighter at the end of a down day and a bit heavier at the end of an up day. It's so frustrating because this way of eating really suits me.
So I'm almost ready to throw in the towel, then today I went to put on some jeans that I know are too tight but the rest are in the wash so I had no choice and whaddaya know, they are no longer too tight. I wish I'd taken measurements before I started but it's now obvious that I've been losing cm's. Yay!!! So I'm sticking with it because it's so easy for me. I'm over calorie counting and super restrictive diets. I find it easier and somewhat liberating to not have to worry about what I'm going to be eating on my fasting days. I eat healthy foods on my up days and still follow the no sugar plan I started at the beginning of the year so I know that my body is getting all the necessary nutrients. I'm still a big snacker though (love nuts and my homemade chocolate) and that is definitely something I need to work on.

TeachMe
09-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for that Moobie! I hadn't taken measurements either, but may go try on some clothes now to see how they feel!

TeachMe
09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Quick comment: weight loss has picked up, but more notable is that, like Moobie, I seem to be losing more inches than pounds. Possibly this is because I am doing a lot of cycling (ok, a lot for me!) and on fast days I am having a protein drink that is supposed to be helpful to body builders. Like me. LOL!

TeachMe
09-16-2012, 05:17 AM
What a lonely voice am I? Still doing this, but with some modifications. I eat 3 days of 760 cals and 4 of 1845. For my height and weight etc that number o f calories should give 1.5 lb lost / week. Actually, I've lost 8, but I'm happy with that. Doing it this way I still have room to,go out, plus I get used to not fresking if I'm hungry!

stef
09-16-2012, 05:39 AM
I too am losing inches as well as little amounts of weekly weight.

I'll pop back in on Tuesday with new figures but I am hoping that in 3 weeks I will be into Onederland for the first time in over a decade!

wana wear a bikini
09-16-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm hanging on in there with this too, although I've cut back to 6:1 since I can't fast on weekdays and I don't want my entire weekend ruined, since Swedes are entirely unable to socialise without coffee and cake.

I haven't been measuring, but I know a dress that I couldn't zip up a month ago (the gap between zips was at least 4 inches) can now zip up just. But I have lost something like 12 pounds in a month, which is frankly astounding considering my 2 year stall. I can't believe all I have to do is have Slimfast 1 day a week! And I don't count calories AT ALL on other days - this week I have had chocolate, crisps, ice cream, pizza, McDonalds (:o) and the weight is still creeping down at a rate of a couple of pounds a week!

Congrats to everyone else who is also having success with ADF - who knew it could be this 'easy'??!!

MissD
09-16-2012, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=wana wear a bikini;4469689]Swedes are entirely unable to socialise without coffee and cake.
/QUOTE]

This made me smile! :D

IF seems to really work for me too. After a stall of about 3 months. Weight started to march back donw again, and I have only 2 more pounds to go and I will be at goal! :carrot:

belmagick
09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Checking in again. Weight loss has slowed down a little, after creeping up again last week. Finding staying motivated a lot harder, I just seem to be craving high fat/sugary foods on my up days. Not good.

Last week I increased my diet days to 3 a week, but didn't see any loss at all so this week I'm back on to two. Might do three again next. Fast days are really quite simple now (which I never thought they would be). I just wish my weight would stabilise a little so I can get to goal. Hmm! Is anyone else experiencing this?

I had a pair of tight skinny jeans that feel looser around my legs (a key problem area for me). So maybe, like you guys, I'm losing inches too?

stef
09-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Another week another pound. I'm happy, mainly cos I am wearing dresses and skirts without the need for a baggy cardi :)

surfnmom
09-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey everyone was reading the thread and enjoyed the documentary as well. here is a link for it full length in case u haven't seen it.

BBC Horizon 2012: Eat, Fast and Live Longer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

I'm currently working on cutting down my portion size and thinking about adding a few down days to my week. Hope you don't mind me hopping in, I like the health benefits that this can give you. Also he was doing a 5/2 week and saw really good changes in his blood work, weight and body fat.

surfnmom
09-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Oh here in the states we have Banquet tv dinners and a lot of them are less then 250 calories, I think turkey is 230 cals. So just an idea to have a couple of these for down days. I'm shopping Sunday so will look see what else may be out there. I may pick up some.

I rather eat then drink a meal and would make the down day as seeming normal as possible.

nina cloudstar
10-02-2012, 07:32 PM
I just watched the horizon documentary and I am amazed!! I am seriously considering giving this a go, although I am worried as I do not deal well with hunger, so I need to make sure I have enough to keep me going on my down days. What sort of things do you all eat on an average down day?

RoyalAthena
10-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Hope it is okay for me to post~

Thanks for the link. This is similar to what I do sometimes. I have an eating time frame that I eat in but sometimes I do a couple of 24 hour fasts (Eat Stop Eat) and those days are the days I eat low calorie. Right now I am on a timeframe of when I eat and probably next month or Dec I will start to do the 2 fast on a regular basis. I would love to continue to check in to see how it is working for you all.

Only Me
10-02-2012, 11:05 PM
I've been doing this, not always perfectly (like when my inlaws were in town) for the past month. I haven't actually lost weight yet, but I have maintained fairly effortlessly except for the inlaw two weeks, and I've lost any small gain I saw then in the past week.

At first, I was overeating massively on the day after the down day (since I'm doing 5/2) and then a more normal amount the day after that, but I've slowly come to the conclusion that overeating just makes me feel ill and bloated and I'm being more conscious about what I choose to eat on up days. I eat what I want, but I have started THINK about what I want to eat and what my body needs, and then I enjoy it, rather than just stuffing whatever food I find into my face. I think that once I get used to the lack of calorie counting and restriction on up days, I will slowly lose weight. I don't need to lose huge amounts, so that's ok with me. Just maintaining in the 120-125 range without extreme effort has been a huge victory.

nina cloudstar
10-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I am trying it!! Today is my first down day. It has been surprisingly easy so far actually, I bought a pre-packed vegetable medley (which I normally don't like, but just for easiness' sake!) and chopped it all up and boiled it with water to make a soup, that's only 70 calories for the whole thing, and there's about 4 bowls worth!! Plus I had a small banana this morning. I will check in later tonight, fingers crossed!!

TeachMe
10-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Checking in on this thread. Am now about 2 months in and 15 pounds down, though weight loss in the beginning included 5lbs I had just put on, so it came off more quickly. Quite happy with that!

I found I had to keep track of my calories, at least until I get used to what moderate portions look like. I track them on my fitness pal app. The down days aren't too hard, but if I have too much I modify the next days eating. I look for a weekly calorie limit that aims for 1-1.5 lbs loss a week and break it down from there. I still like the flexibility to eat more socially because of the cut back on down days.

Wanna Wear a Bikini: I recently made a Swedish coffee bread and it was soooo yummy. I can imagine it dominating a weekend of socialising!

stef
10-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Well, not much more weight lost but I am almost in size 16 clothes. Not that I will be buying any. I think I can get away with putting the baggy cardis back on, but this time to hide the baggy clothes underneath - as opposed to the baggy me.

I shall save up and buy clothes in the New Year sales, perhaps. I may wait until I am size 14... it depends how far me and the sewing machine can take in without being noticed. Then again, I'll just buy when the winter is over.

One thing I am really enjoying is being able to wear my high(ish) heels all day without getting any foot ache. I used to suffer for them, now they don't bother me at all. My knees love me too :D

Small target: lose a whole 10% of me by the end of next week!

Primalgirl
10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I watched the Horizon documentary on Wednesday and my first down day was on Thursday and today is my second down day , On Thursday I weighed in at 186 lbs and this morning was 184.4 lbs! 1.6 lbs in 2 days - I'm very happy with this way of eating and I can see myself doing this for life. Right now I am doing alternate day fasting but when I get to my GW ( hopefully by July '13) I'll be fasting once or twice a week to maintain.

Good luck to everyone :)

Primalgirl
10-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Checking in on this thread. Am now about 2 months in and 15 pounds down, though weight loss in the beginning included 5lbs I had just put on, so it came off more quickly. Quite happy with that!

I found I had to keep track of my calories, at least until I get used to what moderate portions look like. I track them on my fitness pal app. The down days aren't too hard, but if I have too much I modify the next days eating. I look for a weekly calorie limit that aims for 1-1.5 lbs loss a week and break it down from there. I still like the flexibility to eat more socially because of the cut back on down days.

Wanna Wear a Bikini: I recently made a Swedish coffee bread and it was soooo yummy. I can imagine it dominating a weekend of socialising!

That is fantastic! 15 lbs in 8 weeks :cb:
Your Swedish coffee bread sounds delish, any chance you'll post the recipe?

TeachMe
10-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Primalgirl--I'm happy to say I'm still following this plan and finding that it's not too hard to plan for eating on up days.

The Swedish Coffee brad recipe is here:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Swedish-Coffee-Bread

On another site someone else mentioned not getting a rise from their yeast in the proving stage, then their bread was no good. I had the same thing, but thankfully started that part over with fresh yeast and it worked very well. It's really good toasted the next day. I'd never made a braided bread before and was v happy with it.

Primalgirl
10-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Thank you, teach :)
Going to make this on my Up day!

mikava
10-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I am already down 18 pounds from January... a lot for me at least ^.^

Enilorac
11-16-2012, 06:35 PM
I do this every other month for a week and I dont weigh myself but I do feel lighter. I was only doing it when I had "I really need to lose weight days" lol didnt even know it was a proper thing so will try and stick to it this time. Encouraging to hear that it works well for so many people. Will start fast day on Sunday and will try and keep you posted on progress.

Annelouise
01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Hi Everyone

Have just (today) started the alternate day diet and am hoping that it works! It sounds good, like the fact that it's only 1 day of dieting really hard and another when I can eat more!

I have a lot to lose so I reckon I'm going to be on this diet for some time!

So - two weeks of Slimfasts anxd we'll see what the weight loss is after that!:dizzy:

Cofa Tree
01-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi Annelouise - welcome to the boards! I'll be interested in seeing how you get on - I'm calorie counting via My Fitness Pal and it's certainly working for the moment, but I did consider this approach before deciding calorie counting was maybe easier to do when cooking for the family (plus we all then benefit from low cal dinners!). Keep us informed of how you do!

Annelouise
01-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi Cofa Tree

Thanks for the welcome! I am really determined this time to keep on with this - when the pounds fall off it'll b e well worth it!;)

It's certainly an eye opener, this diet, something I have never thought about.

Tuscanyg
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm on week 2 of this diet. I did it about 3 years ago with quite good results so feel pretty optimistic. I am doing 3 down days a week, sticking to 500 calories and being sensible on the other days. I have just started my first 24 hour fast, (7pm today to 7pm tomorrow) I guess, as with the down days, the first one or two will be the toughest! :dizzy:

TexArk
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I have been trying the alternate day diet since the beginning of January. I am surprised at how well it is working for me. I alternate days and usually stay below 500 on down days, but not always. My goal is to average out under 1000 for the week and so far I have done that and have lost 4 lbs. Of course, this was the holiday weight gain. I have 10 more pounds to go and up day down day has helped get me going in 2013. Glad to see some others on board. This seems to be mostly a UK group. You can see by my name where I am from.

TexArk
01-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I do realize this is a UK thread, but I would like to connect with some folks who are using this up day/down day method with success.

If you are doing the alternate day diet, how long have you been at it? Is it working for you long term?

I weighed in this morning and showed a good drop. I use the Hackers Diet spreadsheet to record my weight daily so I can see the trend line which allows for all those variations in daily weight due to various factors.

roman13
01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Have just joined today, and I have been on the alternate day diet for three weeks and so far have lost only four pounds.:?: I have been pretty assiduous in not eating more than 500 calories on down days but confess to eating anything I like on Up days, which includes fatty food and sweet things. Do I have to cut down more on Up days as well? I am an older lady so maybe it is harder to lose the weight which I really want to do for health reasons. I do walk at least three times a week for 20 to 30 minutes outdoors. and do Yoga regularly, once a week. This keeps me supple for my age.

roman13
01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
New Member, just joined today and am following the Alternate Day diet. Have done three weeks but am really disappointed to have only lost four pounds in that time. Am sticking religiously to only 500 calories on my Down days, but have eaten heartily on my Up days. I feel I should have lost more as I lost those four pounds in the first week and nothing since. Have I got to eat much less on my Up days as well?

Crunchy Pip
01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm curious, how do you find energy to cope with down days? I'm a busy mother with 2 toddlers and I don't think I could cope on 500 cals!

Crunchy Pip
01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Also, guys can you actually binge on your up days?

lolloveschocolate
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Crunchy pip. I don't think you're really allowed to Binge on the "feast" days but you can eat whatever you like . I think that over a week your calorie intake is supposed to balance out? I'm giving it a go from Monday.

Crunchy Pip
01-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Crunchy pip. I don't think you're really allowed to Binge on the "feast" days but you can eat whatever you like . I think that over a week your calorie intake is supposed to balance out? I'm giving it a go from Monday.

I thought it was more than just about calorie deficit? Activating the 'skinny gene' and all that.

lolloveschocolate
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
not too sure really. There are so many different versions of this diet. I've downloaded a book and will be reading it tonight and tomorrow

Crunchy Pip
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
not too sure really. There are so many different versions of this diet. I've downloaded a book and will be reading it tonight and tomorrow

Nice one.

Which book?

lolloveschocolate
01-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Book is called The 5:2 diet. It's by Kate Harrison. Got it from Amazon.

TexArk
01-27-2013, 10:20 AM
There is nothing "magic" about this way of eating. Total calorie intake for the week still counts. But it is a great way I have found to control my total intake. The down days balance out the up days. The up days are not a license to binge! I think having the down days helps the up days stay reasonable....maybe our stomachs have shrunk?
Yes, you will initially lose weight the first week and then it will slow down. This is not a quick weight loss method. I do think it can be my way of eating in maintenance and that really is the answer....find a way of eating you can stay with and not be stressed out over.
I also use the Hacker's Diet website to record my weight so I can see the daily trend. This is a spreadsheet that averages your weight for 10 days and takes into account all those irritating ups and downs. I like to see the trendline.

roman13
01-27-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm curious, how do you find energy to cope with down days? I'm a busy mother with 2 toddlers and I don't think I could cope on 500 cals!

I cope by eating nothing or very little on down days, and I avoid having anything to do with food if possible. I try hard to keep very busy on those days. I drink loads of herbal tea and water, and occasionally have 1 bowl of soup if I get desperate. I have found that my energy levels are good on down days, and I often do exercise on those days too.

Starscythe
01-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi! new here, but I've been lurking for a while...

I've been doing this diet (alternate days) since the end of August 2012 and I LOVE that I can eat whatever I like every other day... my whole family have been doing it together so it's great to have a support system there.

Only problem is... my parents have both lost almost 2 stone in weight each, but I've only nearly lost 11lbs!

I've only just dropped from a size 16 to a size 14 which I'm happy about, but I don't understand why I don't lose more. Also, I've been at 13st 2lbs, 13st 1.75, 13st 1.5 etc etc for the last 3 months and I'm itching to get into the 12st zone... sigh. Today I had my weekly weigh-in and I actually GAINED 0.25lbs :(

Do you think it's possible that on my 'up' days I'm eating so much, it cancels out the 'down' days? ...the only other thing is that sometimes (maybe once a month) I'll break the diet for some sort of social event and I went to LA for 2 weeks and broke the diet then, but would you really think that would cost me a entire stone when I've been doing it for 5 months?

I suppose it all adds up when you think about it... it's so annoying to have everyone lose tons and not you!

TexArk
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Yes..it does ALL add up. I cannot eat "everything I want" on up days. And I think the closer you are to your goal weight or dress size, the SLOWER the weight loss. I had a great month of alternate days. The trend was down but the daily weights fluctuated wildly. But I do think I have learned that my body really doesn't require as much food as I thought, and my up days or really still very low calorie. They don't feel that way though. I fill up easier.

Hang in there this month and remember to avoid comparing your loss to anyone else. Your body is unique.

roman13
02-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Well I'm back again and now after 6 weeks I have lost 8 lbs, so I feel a bit happier. I know that I eat probably too much on my up days and v. occasionally go over 500 cals on my down days but the trend is down so I am happier. I am beginning to find it harder to stick rigidly to 500 cals on my down days and thus I am generally feeling hungrier. I am hoping to cut some of my calories on up days, though it is annoying when my down days coincide with outings and meeting up with people for lunch etc, and I try to either just have soup or nothing. People don't like it when you don't eat! I am finding it hard to avoid having social engagements on my down days though I do try, and have occasionally done two fasting days together(or just low cal days) to adjust my up days to when a social engagement is imminent. But it is really difficult- any tips welcome.

TexArk
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Glad to hear from you roman. I am obviously not from the UK but I cannot find any other board where people are trying to do up day/down day. I am having my best success not strictly staying with alternate days. That way I can adjust for the social occasions you are trying to work in. But I do average my calories for the week and hold myself accountable. That means that yes, sometimes, I have 2 down days in a row and maybe an up day more moderate than usually to get the average calories for the week to my number. We each have to find that "spot" but I love using this approach. There really is no "starting over" and every bite counts and I feel as if I can do this as a lifelong maintenance approach as well. I think that is a major key to success.

Lirelyn
02-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Hello! I just registered here, mostly so I could post in this forum... I've just started the alternate day diet and I want to be able to talk about it without driving my friends and family nuts!

I don't weigh myself regularly, but I would like to drop a pants size or two, so I'm pleased to see that several people have seen results in losing inches! My primary goal is to stop gaining weight/size, and to increase my overall health; the biggest thing that sold me on this diet was the decrease in risk of cancer/heart disease/brain degeneration.

Today was my second day of calorie restriction, and it went much better than the first. On the first I was questioning whether I'd be able to keep going on this, because I was getting a headache and my thinking was getting sluggish around midday. Today I delayed my first meal until after 11 am, and I think that is a better plan for me than eating an early breakfast. I actually felt, if anything, slightly more energy than I normally do.

On diet days I'm eating 600 calories: I bike to and from work, which more than earns me the extra hundred calories.

LavenderDreams
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
TexArk - I haven't been here in awhile, but wanted to say I'm a fellow American AND Texan doing JUDDD!! I'm actually active on another forum with lots of (American) JUDDDers. Although it's a low carb board, there's alot of non-lowcarbers as well. I can private message you the board if you'd like.

Hi Lirelyn. The Down Days do get easier after the Sirt1 gene kicks in, which is different for everyone. Could be a week or two, or several weeks. I have a regular DD menu that I stick to and that makes them much easier. Plus, I drink coffee in the morning and try to wait until mid-afternoon before I eat anything.

I've done JUDDD several times and each time the weight finally begins dropping, something happens and I get derailed. Nothing to do with the plan, just ME. :dizzy: So, I restarted at the first of the year and although my loss has been painstakingly slow, I'm going to count calories on my UD for awhile and make sure I'm eating up to and not over my UDs.

Good luck on your journey!

TexArk
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Lavender
Yes do private message me...not sure how that works on this board.
I also low carb...am now pretty much wheat and sugar free and get my carbs from berries, white rice, and an occasional potato, plus green veggies of course.

I count calories on up Days...not because I have a strict limit, but because it helps me be aware. I also average all previous 7 days so I can keep my overall daily average in sight. It is working. I had been stalled out or gaining for a year.

LavenderDreams
02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
TexArk, I found a JUDDD thread in the Calorie Counters section here. It's kind of old, so it's down a couple of pages. We could post there, maybe generate some interest since it is a form of IF.

I counted my UD yesterday - I was seriously below my limit!!!! Might account for my slow loss. How much have you lost on JUDDD?

I'll PM you about the board.

stef
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Got onto the scales this morning and found myself transported to Onederland

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

irishcanary
03-11-2013, 04:54 AM
I keep finding that some days for the ADD are harder to stick to than others.
For example i used to always have Friday as my down day, i now have a boyfriend and Friday is the day i see him.

The same problem keeps happening to me
Friday am: I wake up and think i will stick to 500 calories today
Friday pm : I have just walked for near enough 3 hours and worked for 10, i need an extra 300 calories

In my defence if i break the calorie limit, it is usually to subway where i get a 6 inch veggie delight sub (no patty, no sauce, but some cheese on Italian herbs and cheese) and a salad bowl (a drizzle of BBQ sauce). I feel really weak willed:(.

I am thinking of changing my down day to a Saturday which tends to be a day
1. I have no work
2. Is not very social or food related for me

ainiclive
03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
grilled chicken.