South Beach Diet - What does everyone do for exercise?

CatMat
08-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Good morning. I just wanted to do a quick survey of what everyone on the board was doing for their fitness routines.
I was doing the Couch to 5K running plan, but it didn't seem to help my weight loss. Then I read that someone else didn't lose any weight while they were doing it either. That's kind of counterproductive, so I'm looking for other suggestions/ideas. What's your favorite workout that also supports weight loss AND overall health? :exercise:

TwynnB
08-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Wow, running burns more calories for me than anything else! Keep in mind for C25K, that you don't do that many minutes, esp. initially. Once I run over an hour, I really notice the difference in my metabolism.

I run (trails preferably), bike, and sometimes swim. I prefer being outside vs. inside!

pandamom
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm an inside person--right now, it's so stinkin' hot I'd never exercise if I had to go outside. I alternate between doing C25K jogging/walking and using the same timer sequence to alternate between fast walking and stepping on and off of an aerobics step. I also do 40 minutes of Zumba on Tuesday at my church.

I've thought about trying one of those mini-trampoline rebounders, as I don't really think running is good for knee/hip that was messed up in an accident years ago. Does anyone have any experience with those?

MoonChild2
08-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm not in good shape and 10 min at a time is the best I can do. I walk in place, side steps, arm exercises and anything else to keep moving. For me 10 X 3 or 4 keeps my energy flowing.

A study in a medical journal showed that 10 X3 (at aerobic level) did all of the things that 30 min did in terms of fitness and cal burned.

gettin'little
08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
When I get bored with weights and exercise machines, I'll do an hour of "Just Dance" on my Wii. I'm certain that I look foolish, but I'm having fun and burning calories at the same time.

cjcampo
08-08-2012, 11:25 AM
I did the C25k plan and lost a little bit of weight around the Holidays. If nothing else, it helped me counter all the heavy holiday meals (this was pre SB). Now I do Les Mills Body Pump 2-3 times a week. It's cardio weight lifting, and I love it. It's challenging, but you can burn up to 500+ calories in an hour. Plus I play softball one day a week, not that I get much of a workout standing in the outfield waiting for a fly ball!

Draghoula
08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Usually, by the time I finish work,get home and drive my son to his kickboxing classes and my daughter to her cheer-leading classes, I am already exhausted so I do like MoonChild...a little bit of different exercises, usually reps.

But on the weekend, I like to take some time with my daughter and play ''Just Dance'' or ''Adventures'' on the Wii. Like gettin'little, we are having lots of fun and burning calories. I am always making a fool of my-self and the kids loves it!! :)

jekel383
08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
My PT put the kibosh on running, so I turned to spinning which was a great transition to cycling when the weather is nice. I also love kettle bell work outs. I find my cardio has improved greatly. I have lots of DVDs so I don't get bored