Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Default I'm a noob at make-up- help please!

I've just never bothered with the hassle of learning to do make-up. I'm interested in BB creams, however. I hear that it covers up little imperfections and even helps your skin. What kind of BB cream do you guys suggest? And where can I get it at? I need one that doesn't make me look oily or cakey.. y'know.. I wanna look natural, like I have no make-up on, LOL. Also one that will not melt and will stay on for a long while (throughout the day, even if I'm sweating.) Can you guys please recommend something?

Also, recommendations of some liquid eyeliner would be great also (:

My skin is pretty clear, so I don't need things that are too 'heavy' on my face.

Oh yeah, would I be able to use just BB cream alone and no other kind of products whatsoever? I don't want my face to feel 'sticky' either. idk, I know I'm picky! But I don't want to get too many make-up products because it's just too overwhelming.

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by Bloopers; 08-08-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

What is BB Cream ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

Try googling BB Cream reviews. I did this when I was researching different options. Musings of a Muse has reviews on many different brands, including a lot of Korean brands. If you want something that's actually going to provide you with coverage, they seem like the best route to go. The American BB Creams that are coming out are basically re-labeled tinted moisturizers. After reading around I ordered a bunch of different Korean BB Creams from a site called Cosmetic Love. My favorite ones so far are the Skin79 hot pink formula and Innisfree Eco Natural Green Tea.

Not sure as far as liquid eyeliners, but if you are ever looking for a pencil, Urban Decay 24/7 pencils are fabulous. They are one of the only liners that doesn't smudge on me.

Last edited by audri8301; 08-08-2012 at 08:51 AM.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
What is BB Cream ?
It stands for 'blemish balm', I believe. It acts as multiple things so you can skip several make-up steps. Some BB cream acts as a moisturizer, sunscreen, and has some kind of 'tinted(?)' stuff in it to cover up some spots. It helps your skin lighten dark spots also, is what I've heard. It's been popular lately and I hear a lot of recommendations. There are just so many kinds and I don't know which is best.

@audri, thanks! I'll google some info. up (:

Anyone else? haha

Last edited by Bloopers; 08-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Haha, sorry I have no tips or recommendations since I am a noob too when it comes to foundations/coverups or things like that.

I have really bad dark circles under my eyes though so I just use a yellow concealer stick (Pallidio IIRC) that I found at Sally's beauty supply for 5 bucks.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

When it comes to makeup....3 words....SMOKY MOUNTAIN MINERALS
http://www.smmbeauty.com/
As for liquid eyeliner, if you're a makeup noob, you may want to try a pencil liner or gel liner. Liquids are tricky, even for those who have been using makeup for years. Milani makes a great pencil liner called LiquifEYE....they have lots of colors to choose from also. My favorite gel liner is Wet n Wild, I apply it with an angled brush. I also really like Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips gel liners.
If you want to look like you aren't wearing any makeup Smoky Mountain Minerals is definitely the way to go!
Good luck to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 08-08-2012 at 02:30 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #7  

BB Cream is kind of a gimmicky name - they're really just tinted moisturizers. Sometimes they have a little more coverage than tinted moisturizers. I would try them out, but definitely check out tinted moisturizers as well. I like the Bobbi Brown oil free TM, but I have oily skin. What skintype do you have?

Oh, and you can definitely wear just a BB Cream and nothing else. If you're oilier you should set with a powder, but if your skin is dry that may not be necessary.

The Loreal Lineur Intense is a good liquid liner.

Last edited by odalisque0; 08-08-2012 at 02:55 PM.
odalisque0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #8  

As stated above, if you want a real BB cream you've got to buy a korean brand, as the ones here (Garnier, Maybelline, etc) are basically just the same old tinted moisturizers with BB on the packaging. For eyeliner, I know you're asking for liquid but I highly suggest you try Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner. Coming from someone who used to use both liquid and pencil, this is hands down the best eyeliner I've ever tried! You apply it with a little brush so you do get the liquid liner look, but without all of the smudgy mess. Plus, if you want to line the rims of your eyes, this stuff is safe for that too
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5' 6"

I am new to all of this too. I went to my local beauty salon and had an hour long make-up lesson. It was brilliant. I was shown how to apply the different products and how to choose what was best for my skin. No selling of products, just information.
MissD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

I recommend having a make up lesson at a salon/spa, or getting your make up done at a department store make up counter, they can teach you. Sephora will also do mini makeovers as well.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #11  

I just went on the Missha website and bought $40 worth of items and they gave me one full bottle of the boomer (basically a primer) and a full bottle of the #21 bb cream when I ordered a regular bottle of the #27 and some other items. AND they're on sale!!! Can't believe I got such a good deal!

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

If you're looking for a good liquid liner, Maybelline's Line Stiletto is pretty easy to use, but if you don't wear a lot of makeup, you may need to practice. I consider myself pretty handy with a makeup brush (one of my few genuine 'girl' skills!) and most of what I learned I picked up as tips from watching Carmindy on 'What Not to Wear' and from the pros at MAC and Sephora.

If you're looking to make your eyes stand out but you don't want to wear a lot of makeup/look like you're wearing a lot of makeup, you might consider an eyelash curler and a good mascara instead?
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/143/130

Korean BB creams are intended to lighten/bleach skin. I have very fair skin and swear by Dr. Jart's BB Cream (from Sephora). I don't think it has made my skin lighter but it has evened out my skin. It's a bit pricey but one tube has lasted me a year. I only wear BB cream and top it with a poof of powder to get rid of any sticky feelings.

I also had great experiences with tinted moisturizer. I actually started with this because it seemed less scary. I like this one: http://www.sephora.com/tinted-moisturizer-P109936. But it is also expensive. I bought it in a complete set for $40 so keep a look out.

As for makeup "noobs" I love Jane Marie from the Hairpin. Her section "How to be a Girl" answers makeup and wardrobe questions from readers. She is super cool and basically doesn't judge. That said, she doesn't like BB creams haha. She also makes videos that are awesome Tutes! http://thehairpin.com/slug/how-to-be-a-girl/

My tip in general is to work your way up. Start with a few products and go from there. Or, try to find some natural looks you like and try to replicate them. Then, on nights when you are going out or just want to be creative try to pull off something more intense like a smokey eye.

Word of warning: You will feel like an idiot. You will feel like everyone is looking at you wearing makeup. You will feel like you are wearing too much. I feel like this EVERY TIME I wear a big smokey eye. But, it isn't true. No one cares. In fact, in my experience, people will compliment me more when I think I'm looking a little raw. You just aren't used to it yet! Trying new things takes bravery and you are fabulous so what's the difference?
Lauracore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I learned almost everything I know about make-up from youtube. Try it! It's really useful.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 231.0/193.6/185.9

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I learned almost everything I know about make-up from youtube. Try it! It's really useful.
Love YouTube -- Lisa Eldridge is my fave. Also learned a lot from reading the boards and product reviews at Makeup Alley.
shanhat81 is offline   Reply With Quote