PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 07:28 AM   #1  

Default Pcos??????

I think I may have this. I started my period at age 12, from there I have been to tons of gyns. At about 13 I had bleeding for about 6 weeks, The wonderful doctor I had at the time, suggested I stop smoking dope, and quit faking to stay out of school! OMG I was 13!!!!! And didn't even have a clue what dope was. He was there first to put me on the "pill".

From there it was all down hill. I normally have a cycle ever 4 months. They were always BAD lasting from 2 to 4 weeks. Once I had a tubal, it is unreal how bad it actually gets.

I did concieve and have 2 perfect children. I had the tubal the year after the last child was born. From that point on I have been to ever gyn in the area. In 1995 I started to have cyst on my ovaries. I went on provera 10mg a day for 10 days a month. Plus taking the "pill." My weight started climbing there.

Now I have hair all over my body!!! My face and chin, chest, breast and stomach. Even on the tops of my feet. Actually now that I think about it I have hair from my top lip to my toes.

Last month I had a blood sugar of 42. So now I am monitoring that.

I have tried for over a year to get the extra weight off, but nothing helps.

I am convinced I have this, although I have not been diagnosed.
Where do I go with this info. And why am I just finding out about it.

Should I just go in to the doctor and say I think I have pcos.????

ANd how is this treated.

I am so sorry this is so long, but I think I have just realized what is wrong with me.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #2  

You might want to talk to your doctor about it and just see what he/she says.

As far as PCOS being treated....I'm not sure what all is done for it; but so far I have been told by my doctor one way to treat it is through a low carb diet (atkins, sugarbusters, the Zone, etc) and medications.

A good site to check out is www.pcosupport.org

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:13 PM   #3  

J-Girl: Read the information threads on PCOS, it might help. Cutting carbs helps, because PCOS seems to be caused by, or causes insulin resistance. A lot of PCOS patients take something for insulin levels, like Glucophage. It doesn't necessarily cure it, but for some it helps. Maybe if you find some good info on PCOS and take it with you to see your doctor, and show him/her the symptoms you suffer that are the same, they will sit up and listen. Good luck to you!
Closed Thread