Exercise! - Zumba! :)

View Full Version : Zumba! :)

JoJoBeanz11
08-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new here, my name is Brenda. I've been eating healthier, drinking tons of water and increasing my physical activity over the past month and people are already starting to notice changes! Today I attended my first Zumba class, it was so much fun and I feel great! (a little exhausted but still great!) Have any of you tried Zumba? If so, how long have you been going and what's your experience? Hope everyone had a great weekend :)

ChickieChicks
08-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I am a Zumba addict! I haven't done it much lately, because it is so high energy, and I haven't been feeling well, but it is a huge part of working out for me.

I've gone for over a year now, and love every minute of it. It's the only fun I ever have doing cardio. :)

But even though I don't really enjoy other things as much, I do make myself run, cycle, lift weights very occasionally, yoga, etc. it's good for your body to do many different types of workouts!

JoJoBeanz11
08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for sharing :) I can definetly see myself becoming a Zumba addict already! I go to the classes at the YMCA and they offer a lot of other exercise programs as well. I'm interested in adding strength training and yoga alongside the Zumba classes. As you said, it's good for your body to do many different types of workouts.. One of the women in the class gave me this advice today too! :)

fresh15again
08-05-2012, 10:38 PM
I love Zumba. I have been doing it for a little over two years. It's the most fun I have ever had in a fitness class. Like you and ChickieChicks I force myself to do other forms of exercise, but nothing makes me feel as happy. Check around for Zumba toning. It combines Zumba with light weights and toning exercises. It's not the same as heavy lifting/strength training, but it's fun!

JoJoBeanz11
08-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Wow 1 year, 2 years.. you all must be in great shape! They have Zumba toning at the Y, I wasn't sure of the difference though. Thanks for the info!

LovelyAndLosing
08-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I LOVE Zumba. I've been getting into it recently. Other classes I have to drag myself to go even 2x a week ... with Zumba, I'm running all around the city going to different locations (same gym franchise) to go 4 times a week!

katiekish
08-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I just got a zumba video today from my aunt! I'm so excited to try it out... if i like it im also going to get the zumba wii game... i hope it gives me a great workout because i'd much rather do that than go out for just a normal run/walk once in a while.

JoJoBeanz11
08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I'd love to go 4 times a week, I'm having trouble fitting just 2 in my schedule right now lol.
My friend told me about the wii game today, that sounds pretty cool :) I need to get some of their dvds to try and do at home before my babies wake up in the a.m. 'cause it's so difficult fitting the classes into the weekdays :( It's really fun, KatieKish! I hope you like it!

katiekish
08-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks JoJoBeanz! I tried it out today and it was pretty fun. A little frustrating because I don't have the best coordination in the world and I was never much of a dancer... but I think once I do it more and pick up the steps a bit better then I'll love it!

shellsbrood
08-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Love, love, love, love Zumba and am planning on becoming a Zumba instructor!

And don't worry about the coordination. I hated my first 3 classes, because I always felt 500 steps behind and I couldn't move like the instructor could. My hips just didn't shake that way! But, once I stuck with it, things started getting better. And now, I can't stop Zumba-ing!

Oh, and a word on the Wii game...it's pretty complicated! I definitely enjoyed the real class and the Exhilarate DVDs more.

I'm glad y'all are enjoying the party! ;)

JoJoBeanz11
08-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh I was nowhere near coordinated, lol! A few different ladies in the class and the instructor told me that it took them a while to get their hips to work with them haha. Yep I have 2 left feet! But these feet still had fun, regardless :D

Jewls2000
08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
I also love Zumba I used to take a class but when we got my daughter a Wii for christmas I bought the Zumba Fitness Game and love it even more I can do it really early in the morning before my girls even wake up or during the day while they watch me. I can also choose the length of the class, type of music and it aslo has a weight tracker worth the money. I highly recommend it especially if you think you might not make it to the gym :)

Lishar
08-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I did my first Zumba class today. I am hoping that as I go I will get the steps better. I tried hard but could not get them all. I did work up a good sweat. My thighs were burning. I will try again next week.

JoJoBeanz11
08-10-2012, 09:39 PM
@Jewls, that sounds great! I don't have a Wii (or even a dvd player right now lol) But I want to try that one day.

@Lishar, I couldn't get all the steps right either lol I laughed the whole 45 minutes! Worked up a really good sweat too, my heart was racing and my whole body was sore. It's so worth it, though. Loved every minute of it! :D

luckystreak
08-11-2012, 11:32 PM
my absolute most favorite thing in the world haha im looking into becoming an instructor now!

Definitely try it, and if youre anything like me and have always had a soft spot for dancing/reggaeton (especially a little on the sexy side) you'll looove it.

ilidawn
08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Probably an odd question, but I got the wii game a few days ago but haven't tried it yet because I realized I needed to ask for opinions from people who actually do zumba...I live on the second floor and my cat makes enough noise thundering around the apartment. Do you think doing Zumba would be too noisy? I don't want to be thumping around to the point my neighbor complains.

JoJoBeanz11
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
@Luckystreak: I've always enjoyed reggaeton (and bachata!) My hips don't move right, but I'm going to stay with it until I do get it! :D

@Ilidawn: I don't have the Wii game but it seems like it probably would be loud if you're really getting into it lol. But it's not like you'd be doing Zumba for hours on end.. 30 min, 45 min, an hour etc at a time- If they complain then maybe you could talk to them or the office and explain. Living in an apartment complex, sometimes you have to make compromise. They may have to deal with a some noise here and there, as long as it's not in the middle of the night I don't see a problem with it :b

TripSwitch
08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
I don't think it would be too noisy... I have Zumba for xbox kinect it's definitely fun and better than just kicking back with the tv on and playing on my iPad... and it's not like you're really jumping up and down so hard, pounding on the floor causing your downstairs neighbor's chandelier to be swinging from the ceiling and making the plaster come raining down on their heads... So I say GO FOR IT!

Satine
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I went to my first ever zumba class last night and it kicked my butt !!!! I will say it is definitely the most fun I have ever had working out and even though I am really sore today I will be going back for more ...I did have a tough time with some of the steps but I think ( like others have said ) that I can get it after a few more classes ...I heard that most instructors use the same key moves so hopefully that helps.

I still can't believe how much of a work out it was...and surprised I made it thru the whole hour at my size ...my heart definitely got a work out !!

ilidawn
08-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks! I'm definitely going to give it a shot now!

westcoast rosa
08-16-2012, 12:45 AM
I just registered for a Zumba session that starts next month! Sooo excited!

JoJoBeanz11
08-16-2012, 02:24 PM
That's great!! I've made it a goal to go atleast 2-3 times a week alongside my strength-training/cardio routines. Yesterday evening I went to a class and I am sooo excited to go to the next one this weekend! And the next and the next and the next LOL

mrslynah
08-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Several new studios are opening up in my area, one literally two blocks from my house; and I've been thinking about going. My questions is: does anyone know how many calories you're burning in a class, and has anyone lost weight with Zumba?
Thanks, ladies!

Ksquared
08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I have been going to a Salsa/Zumba studio a block from work. I have been going everyday this week. LOVING it.. some days I have great rhythm and other days I have two left feet, but if there is a move I can't get I simply stick with a boxer shuffle and move, keep my heart rate up!

@Mrs - it depends really on the person, your weight and the intensity in which you work out.. but it can be anywhere from 350 - 1000 calories.

I average about 500 - 664

abejune23
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
i've been doing it for about half a year, and i love it, it's so addicting! the booty shaking definitely takes some getting used to, i'm still trying to figure out what's going on in there, ha. i've done it with several different instructors and i think they totally make the experience.

luckystreak
08-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Several new studios are opening up in my area, one literally two blocks from my house; and I've been thinking about going. My questions is: does anyone know how many calories you're burning in a class, and has anyone lost weight with Zumba?
Thanks, ladies!

It depends on your weight and fitness also your instructor!!

Im so sad to see mine go, she KILLED me. She was so much fun and I literally was out of breath and sweat was dripping onto the floor halfway through the class. Gross but so amazing. Ive been to 6 other Zumba classes and none of them did it for me the way she did it, Im super scared to see who they replace her with.

Instructor is everything.

LovelyAndLosing
08-17-2012, 09:08 AM
So sad that I can't go to Zumba today. :-( It has been bothering my ankles, I looked it up and read its a common problem when using running shoes because of the grips on the bottom and the lack of side-to-side support. So no Zumba until my new DANCE shoes come in! Yay for Amazon Prime shipping, they'll be here tomorrow!

kitkatt
08-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm a Zumba lover too!

I'm currently going to 3 regular zumba classes and 2 zumba toning classes a week. Starting in Sept. I'll only have the 3 regular classes (boo hoo!).

An hour doing Zumba sure beats an hour on the treadmill! And it burns more calories too. :-)

gigibeans
08-21-2012, 04:35 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba...my goal is when I get to 200 pounds I am going to become an instructor :)

szzanni86
08-21-2012, 07:42 PM
I have Zumba on Wii and I am. It coordinated enough to keep up, but it was fun trying. Lol

zoezilla
08-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Zumba is a really fun form of exercise, keep at it!
You pick up the steps pretty quick and I guarantee there will be someone else in the class who isn't doing the moves spot on.

I tend to do it at home now, with videos on youtube. After about 3 months, I've noticed a difference in my waist, butt and legs and zumba is my main cardio so it definitely works :)