Weight Loss Support - Diet or Exercise: Which is Better for Losing Weight? – interesting article on Yahoo.

mrk34
08-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Diet or Exercise: Which is Better for Losing Weight? – interesting article on Yahoo.

I believe that the role of exercise in weight loss has been wildly overstated. Exercise isn't necessarily helping us lose weight and weight loss can be achieved without exercise. Understanding this fact will help many people who try to lose excess weight so they can concentrate their efforts on what really works (changing what and how we eat). I am a walking example – lost 91 pounds.

kelly315
08-03-2012, 07:57 AM
I lost 120+ pounds without exercise a few years ago. However, because I didn't exercise, I still felt flabby and unfit at my lower weight; if I had been exercising I would have had more muscle tone and something to feel good about (my work ethic and my body's new found abilities to do new things).

So no, technically you don't need to exercise to lose weight. But exercise improves your mood, your abilities, your self confidence, and the tone of your body.

It's not like you have to exercise like they do on the Biggest loser- at the very least, 20 minutes 3 times a week can be a real help.

ICUwishing
08-03-2012, 08:46 AM
There's a famous quote running around here - "diet to look good in clothes, and exercise to look good naked." :D

DrivenByAmbition
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Could you post the link?

Prim2012
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
There's a famous quote running around here - "diet to look good in clothes, and exercise to look good naked." :D

I love this quote! I felt so much better about the way I look (even at the same weight) once I started adding more heavy weights. I looked smaller and it was nice to see some muscle and definition in my arms and legs.

katiekish
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
great quote!

I lost 60 lbs 2 years ago just from adding exercise into my life... (and then gained it all back). Now that I've changed my eating habits and added fun exercise into my life I find I'm losing weight faster, but having much less flab. The endorphins also make me feel great. Exercise has so many other health benefits that it's worth trying to do it a few times a week regardless of your weight.

freelancemomma
08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Exercise has so many other health benefits that it's worth trying to do it a few times a week regardless of your weight.

Greetings from a fellow Torontonian. This is the longest I've ever maintained my weight after a loss, and the difference seems to be exercise. It's the first time in my 55 years of life that I've committed to exercising on a regular schedule. The biggest benefit is the mindset it creates, IMO.

Freelance

SerenityDiva
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Not surprising. At one point I had to do some sort of study with the VO2 mask and all for a workout at a lab. My husband was shocked how little calories were burned for such an intense workout. I wasn't because I had read a lot before (was ACE certified for years). But I exercise to feel good, look good, and be strong and flexible! I lose weight right now primarily for health, but I like looking slim too :)

kaplods
08-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Do you just want to lose weight, or do you want to be healthier and feel good too?

In several research studies, active obese people were found to live longer and have fewer health problems than sedentary thin people.

Other studies (cited in books like Refuse to Regain) have found that those who exercised while losing weight, kept the weight off better than those who did not (they lost more, and kept more off, longer).

I don't think it's a coincidence that "this time" I'm keeping the weight off. One of the ways this time has been different, is that I haven't treated exercise as unimportant. From the beginning, I decided that I had to make physical activity important to me.

In many ways, physical activity has helped me more than diet, in regaining my health. For one, it gives me something to focus on when the weight is stalling for no apparent reason. I know I'm getting healthier, even when the scale isn't moving, because I'm making healthy changes. I may have to tweak my diet more to get weight loss, but weight loss isn't my only goal (it isn't even my primary goal).

For over 30 years, all that mattered to me was weight loss, and I failed at it every time, because when the weight loss stalled, I had nothing. Now, "not gaining" and "gaining strength, stamina, and mobility" are my first and foremost goals... and they're a lot more motivating to be than a number on the scale ever was, especially since the rewards are much more tangible.

I think we want to believe that we can choose one or the other (both for weight loss and for health), but the reality (I strongly believe) is that neither are dispensible, both are extremely important (unless you just care about the number and not about getting healthier and what that can do for you).

calluna
08-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Even the most avid athletes I know will say that weight is 80% eating, 20% exercise. (These athletes are, incidentally, just as obsessed with weight as we are).

For me, it's not just about weight - it's about health, and a big part of health is fitness. In my humble opinion, a focus on weight/eating alone is short-sighted, because you're losing sight of the forest (health) for the trees (pounds).

pinkpendant
08-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I think it's important to make the difference between losing weight and actually losing fat. Of course fat loss is what we're aiming for.
If you try to lose 'weight' without really exercising, you will probably lose weight, but a lot of it will also be due to muscle loss (which of course shows up on the scale as well). Most people end up looking a bit flabby and (a lot) less toned after losing weight without exercising, compared to those that work out in order to lose weight (read: fat)

mrk34
08-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi DrivenbyAmbition:

I posted the link, but the Forum Administrators removed the link from my post. I am quoting their message explaining the reason for their action below:

“Hi, welcome to 3FC! I'm sorry but we removed the link in your post due to our link policy. You can add a link to a personal site in your signature after you have been here for 20 days and posted at least 20 times. Thanks”

I will repost the Yahoo link after I meet both requirements.

sontaikle
08-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Diet is key, I'm also an example. I exercised for years and stayed at the same, obese weight. Once I cut my calories the weight came off.

I don't regret maintaining an initial loss for 4-5 years. Exercise became a habit, so it was easier for me to start something else while still exercising. I notice that so many people have trouble adding both into their lives at once.

Beach Patrol
08-04-2012, 09:33 AM
"diet for weight loss; exercise for fitness"

altho I have found (during my lifetime of dieting) that I "diet" better when I am exercising.

Steph7409
08-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I believe that what the article was getting at is that people tend to overestimate calories burned during exercise and think that working out will allow them to eat more (in that exercise will get them to a calorie deficit without cutting so many calories out of their food intake). Most of us here know that, sadly, that's not the case.

I enjoy exercise, so it's easy for me to make it a part of my everyday life. Even at my highest weight, I was fairly active and I think that helped stave off a lot of obesity-related health problems. Now I do it for the endorphins!