Atkins - August Atkins Chat Thread

View Full Version : August Atkins Chat Thread

ghost
08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Happy August all! It's a bittersweet month because we'll be saying a fond farewell to summer but, my favorite time of year is Autumn around here on my little island paradise. Atkins will be hard for me though, because of all the berry picking. Usually we make jams and jellies but this year I'll just have to freeze it all and eat it on moderation.

A few of us are back to induction levels for the next few weeks and anyone is, of course as always, welcome to join in. I really should just stay on super-induction till after Christmas, lol, all these holidays coming up scare me!

Simona
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I like the term "super induction". LOL! I hadnt even thought of the holidays coming up. Oye! The good news is...there is always PLENTY of meat options and veggie options.

My niece's Sweet 16 is next week and guess who was asked to make the cake??? Yup...ME! So for 2 days I'll be surrounded by cake and icing! Lucky me!

As far as super-induction goes....I think I'm going to be on Induction until I reach my 199 goal. It's not that far off but I think it'll take a few months. After that I'll work my way up that carb ladder.

jamie26301
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
If you're a loner like me, and you don't go to many houses through the holidays, you can avoid all the bad foods. My biggest weakness was passing the pumpkin roll while in the checkout at Kroger!

ghost
08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh how I wish I was a loner enough to avoid parties but I have a big family and we all live within a block of eachother...its like a merry-go-round of parties from the beginning of October through mid January with holidays and birthdays.

Simona, if you ever read Suicide by Sugar you will never want to eat icing or cake again, basically, it really get the point home that sugar is poison. I read it some last weekend and actually threw the sugar in my baking cupboard away. The only one that ever ate it was my son when he eats corn flakes but I've stopped buying cereal since we have so much bacon and eggs in the house.

Simona
08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I'll see if they have it on Kindle or at iBooks. I'd be interested in it.

Sugar is one of those things that I never keep in my house. I never have, even long before low carbing. It has no nutritional value whatsoever so there's really no point in consuming it. Never mind that it's likely the most addictive substance on the planet!

With the cake and icing...the smell of it gets to me. Im not a sweets person but the smell of it just sets off cravings for junk. I'm hoping that since I'll be on track for at least a week before I have to make the cake that I'll be fine and wont want to eat every bag of chips in the city!

ghost
08-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I have the Kindle version, so I know you'll find it.

My biggest trigger is also the smell of baked goods...oh...and pizza. I deleted my account on pinterest because all the people I followed posted baked goods and foods all dang day long. Lol! I was there for pictures of shoes, I swear!

Tonight after work I'm going to go to the one ghetto store we have on the island and see if they have Kale...and if so... I shall make kale chips. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

sandyfanny
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I love pumpkin too, Jamie. Here's a recipe from Linda's Low Carb site - it's delicious.

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 eggs
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_pie_spice.html)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350 about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.
Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

jamie26301
08-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I love pumpkin too, Jamie. Here's a recipe from Linda's Low Carb site - it's delicious.

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 eggs
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_pie_spice.html)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350 about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.
Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH! Haha, is this like pumpkin roll? I so have to try this this year!

jamie26301
08-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I made beefy mushroom soup the other day, and it turned out ok. The broth was very fluid because I couldn't find pumpkin sauce to put with it.

I also made the bacon cheddar quiche. It was delish! I just hope it's as good chilled as it was fresh out of the oven!

TiffNeedsChange
08-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Happy August all! It's a bittersweet month because we'll be saying a fond farewell to summer but, my favorite time of year is Autumn around here on my little island paradise. Atkins will be hard for me though, because of all the berry picking. Usually we make jams and jellies but this year I'll just have to freeze it all and eat it on moderation.

A few of us are back to induction levels for the next few weeks and anyone is, of course as always, welcome to join in. I really should just stay on super-induction till after Christmas, lol, all these holidays coming up scare me!

Where do you live? Island living sounds lovely. I saw a recipe for freezer jelly/jam (I think by Alton Brown) maybe that would help? I agree with staying on super-induction till after Christmas! The holidays will be trying - here is an idea, maybe we can all research Atkins friendly alternative recipes for out holiday favorites and make a "cookbook" to go from. ;)

TiffNeedsChange
08-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I like the term "super induction". LOL! I hadnt even thought of the holidays coming up. Oye! The good news is...there is always PLENTY of meat options and veggie options.

My niece's Sweet 16 is next week and guess who was asked to make the cake??? Yup...ME! So for 2 days I'll be surrounded by cake and icing! Lucky me!

As far as super-induction goes....I think I'm going to be on Induction until I reach my 199 goal. It's not that far off but I think it'll take a few months. After that I'll work my way up that carb ladder.

Oh, I do not envy the cake situation! I am usually the baker but that won't be happening unless it is Atkins friendly lol. I just realized that we're really close to the same weight and have similar goals (I may have seen it in our re-induction thread just don't remember). I want to do induction till I hit 197 (no longer obese). Let's do it :)

TiffNeedsChange
08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
I have the Kindle version, so I know you'll find it.

My biggest trigger is also the smell of baked goods...oh...and pizza. I deleted my account on pinterest because all the people I followed posted baked goods and foods all dang day long. Lol! I was there for pictures of shoes, I swear!

Tonight after work I'm going to go to the one ghetto store we have on the island and see if they have Kale...and if so... I shall make kale chips. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I am with you on the smells of baked goods and pizza! LOL @ Pinterest comment-I am one of those constant food posters (though recently I look up more exercises since low carb isn't popular on there). I hope you can find your kale! If not, I did see a post for "spinach chips" similar to kale.

TiffNeedsChange
08-01-2012, 06:25 PM

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
[/I]

I bought the ingredients for this last week since I love pumpkin too! I'll let y'all know how it turns out this weekend!

spanky
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Feeling mischievous today:

Now that I'm so conscious of carb content, I find myself counting up everyone else's carbs. I don't say anything obnoxious, but I sure think it when I see people coming out of the Carb Cave [our kitchenette ] at work with one of those Panera 1 pound bagels.

Gotta be a WORLD of carbs in one of those babies!!!!!

Is that naughty and self-righteous or what!

spanky :rofl:

jamie26301
08-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Feeling mischievous today:

Now that I'm so conscious of carb content, I find myself counting up everyone else's carbs. I don't say anything obnoxious, but I sure think it when I see people coming out of the Carb Cave [our kitchenette ] at work with one of those Panera 1 pound bagels.

Gotta be a WORLD of carbs in one of those babies!!!!!

Is that naughty and self-righteous or what!

spanky :rofl:

LOL. I'm sure you've struggled at one time or another. :p

Linsy
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi guys. Some of you may remember me, I started Atkins 2 years ago and lost 110lbs going from 280 to 170 in 1 year. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon and went back to my old eating habits. Before I knew it I was back up to 215lbs again. I am returning to Atkins because I know it's the only thing that works for me. Day 1 of induction starts today!

ghost
08-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Welcome back Linsy! I think more then a few of us are in the re-losing it boat.

I had an aweful night last night. I didn't binge like I wanted to (emotionally, not actual hunger binge). I really really really really hate men. I dated a guy a few months ago who broke up with me to date another chick. Well, this other chich just friendzoned him and so he decided to call me, but not to go out on a date or anything, or apologize for being an arse. No, he called me to see if I wanted to have sex to make the girl that "just wanted to be friends" jealous. WTF? Who does that?

At any rate, a few glasses of red wine were consumed at that point. I really wanted to drown my sorrows in some rocky road ice cream but thank GAWD I don't keep that stuff around. Then I went to bed early. grrrr. I really hate men. THIS is why I'm single. I don't tolerate crap like this.

Summer2010
08-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow Ghost! What an experience!! Definitely something I don't hear every day!

I thought I would just 'check in' for the day...I have been transitioning to the second phase of atkins in that I have increased by barbs by about 5-8 a day so I have a total of about 25-28/day and I had 5 strawberries yesterday (did not find blueberries or blackberries that I liked) which tasted very fresh and sweet....My goal is to follow introduce some fruit but mostly stay with veggies so that I continue to lose and feel good....I do crave my mom's homemade bread pccasionally but the craving is not too strong and I quickly get over it.
The real test will be this Saturday when we go to a friend's son's birthday party and I am afraid there will be a lot of 'food pushers' there. I am just going to eat BBQ chicken and salad, and find an excuse to say no to the birthday cake. I was thinking something like "I don't feel good when I eat sugar" or "I don't like cake"...any other suggestions?
I think if I relate it to a health reason, the "food pushers" will back off quickly.
Tomorrow will be one whole month since I have started atkins-3.5 weeks of extended induction and now transitioning to Phase 2...total loss 12.4 lbs...not bad ha?

sandyfanny
08-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi everyone! Summer2010, you have so much to be proud of...you've accomplished so much and are still working to be healthy! I don't want you to feel you have to justify what you do or don't eat, but I totally understand how "food pushers" can make us feel weird or obligated or self-conscious. It happens to me too. I like your idea of saying, "I don't feel good when I eat sugar or heavy (read "carbs") foods." That's true and authentic. I've even said, "I've developed alllergies," or simply "This is just the way I eat" when someone comments on what's on my plate or what I order, but I like your idea better.

Linsy, of course I remember you! We're starting at about the same place this time. I fell off the board and the wagon and gained 14 or 15 pounds in a year, but I'm back. Welcome! Yay, Linsy!

spanky
08-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Ghost--geezers!!! Don't drown your sorrows, drown this guy!!!! Sorry that happened, what a weasel!

Linsy--I'm on Day 5 of Induction and still OP. Best wishes for your re-start!

Summer--sweet numbers for the first month of Atkins, I hope I can do as well. I am able to deflect food pushers pretty easily. I don't say anything at all. I don't give excuses, I just say no thanks--"Happy Birthday" and eat as I planned.

I looked up "Panera Cinnamon Bagel" it has 75 grams of carbs and is 410 calories! I just HAD to know!

spanky ;)

sandyfanny
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I forgot to say, Ghost, what a LOSER this guy is; his actions are despicable and very telling of his character. Glad you're not hooked up with him anymore! I list people like that in my phone as "Joe Do Not Answer" and assign them "No Ring," so I never have to bother with them again. Give yourself points for taking good care of yourself.

jamie26301
08-02-2012, 06:02 PM
You must live in an amazing place! We have horrible summers and they last until November...then we have a little Fall and about a second of Winter before we skip Spring and the whole cycle starts again.
We (in WV, USA) have a pretty balanced year. Plenty of all four seasons. I hate the snow though.

:hug: I heard that! Most of them have a big hole where their heart should be. And we all know where their brains are...
:lol: Ain't that the truth!

jamie26301
08-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all. Oh, is there a way to quote multiple posts in one reply post without all the copy/pasting? I'm not very familiar with the thread type of forums. I am trying to get the hang of it and want to be supportive to everyone.

On the bottom right of everyone's post, there is a "multi-quote" button. Press that button on each post you want in your post, and click the post reply button at the bottom of the thread.

(I think. I never tried it.)

Edit: Yes, that's how you do it. :)

TiffNeedsChange
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
And we all know where their brains are...

:rofl: Too funny.

And ghost - I would have let him come over and fed him a laxative brownie lol

ghost
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
lol Tiff! Not that I keep laxative brownies in stock or anything *giving you the side eye*...

So, I made the mistake yesterday afternoon, while driving down the road, of thinking to myself, "wow, I'm actually really happy with my life right now." And then boom, less then four hours later my ex fiance texted me. Always...like some freaky sixth sense, he knows when I'm getting too happy and decides to pull me back under. ACK! As if I wasn't already hating men enough this week ;)

I had salmon for dinner last night. I do love fish. Especially when its so fresh its still got some fight in it, lol! Also had some octopus that was so fresh it was still wiggling when I put it in the boiling water to parboil. Nomnomnom. World class fishing in my back yard has its benefits in the summer.

spanky
08-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Ghost--I had an ex BF like that. Just DELETE the texts and don't even read 'em!

So--Good news is I've been OP for 6 days' Induction so far. Actually looking forward to my Sunday morning weigh-in.

Bad News: 2 Birthday parties [both for my 6 yr old son] this weekend. I'm making the cakes and have chosen stuff that doesn't tempt me so I can stand strong. I plan to eat a full Atkins meal before going to the grandparents', and to carry an Atkins lunch for the after-Sunday Mass party.

Determined not to flush 6 days' hard work on Induction for a piece of Blue ChooChoo cake!

Best wishes to all--spanks

Linsy
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey Sandy! :)
Ghost, sorry to hear about that guy. What a jerk!
I'm still OP. I worked an 11 hour shift today so I came home wanting pizza or takeout but instead got up and made a taco salad. My roommates just went to McDonald's for milkshakes and I said no!

sandyfanny
08-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Yay, Linsy! You're hanging tight. And don't anyone let a blue choochoo derail you! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

spanky
08-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Hey ghost--it's never a mistake to feel happy with your life. Protect that feeling from the jerks.

Yep--going into these parties Military Commando style, keeping my mind Tight!!!

That stinkin' cake [not to mention the pizza]is not going to wreck tomorrow's weigh in after a perfect 7 days induction.

I have to make another cake tonight for the 2nd party at Church tomorrow--standing strong so far.

No retreat! No surrender!! No freakin' cake!!!

spanx

sandyfanny
08-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Small victories turn into big losses! Today I was out running errands all morning and skipped breakfast. By 1:00 I was STARVING...really, I was going to die. I thought of a specific fast food that I could pick up on the drive-thru...then, I thought: "No, I'm going home. I have food at home." I drove straight home, walked in the door and started making a spinach salad with tomatoe, cucumber, the last of my grilled pork chop sliced thinly, and bleu cheese dressing. Ate it right up...while it wasn't what I had in mind it was what I needed to eat. Baby steps...small victories. Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Linsy
08-04-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm already feeling better. I'm less bloated, not as hungry, and I have more energy. Why did I take a break? I could have been at my goal weight! Oh well. Another 10 hour shift today, I didn't eat anything but a cup of olives and like 6 glasses of water at work. I was so busy I didn't even know how hungry I was until I got home at 8:30 and devoured a bacon egg and cheese scramble. I'll probably throw together a salad to eat before bed and then it's my third 10 hour shift in a row tomorrow! Good luck everyone!

Susiego
08-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am in my third week of Adkins and have lost 10 pounds! Previously I was on the ideal protein diet and did well but I gained all the weight back. I love the Adkins plan much better and I feel more statisfied. I guess the ideal protein wasn't for me. I enjoy reading this forum and learning from all of you!

Linsy
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Today is day five and I'm down five pounds! This is the best I've felt in months. Hope everyone is doing well! Today is my day off so I have lots of laundry and cleaning to do. Maybe I'll go for a long walk later.

TiffNeedsChange
08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Glad too see everyone is doing ok. I have been so exhausted feeling for the last 2 days. I need to get into the gym and do SOMETHING, anything. I've been swimming with my son and taking him to the park a lot lately. I just started physical therapy for my plethora of issues, so hopefully I will be able to do more without pain soon. Hope everyone has a good day.

omgzitsmiranda
08-08-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm starting in the morning :)
I got a lot of eggs boiled and picked up some other 'essentials' :)
here we go!