40-Somethings - 40-Somethings August 2012 Chat!

View Full Version : 40-Somethings August 2012 Chat!

guacamole
08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Well, it's August already! Don't know where the summer is going, but I am going to enjoy every last second of it! I figured I might as well start a new chat thread for August where we can share our daily struggles, triumphs, and goals.

If I can please get a small drum roll - I stepped on the scale this morning to 149lbs! Now, in reality, I could step on the scale tonight and be back up to 150-something. However, it's been a mini-goal of mine for many months to get to 149 - and I'm going to own it! I am now officially in a NORMAL BMI!!!!! Woot! Woot! :carrot::carrot: I still have a way to go before I reach my goal, but I need to celebrate the smaller victories too.

I am smiling today! Hope everyone is having a good day. Looking forward to all of your updates!

Redredbird
08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Yea for a new month- I am always encouraged on the 1st of the month-

Good for you Guac!!! That is amazing- dip below 150!! Congrats- and normal BMI too!! WOW. You should be smiling today! :D and this is from 212??!! You have earned the woot woot!

I rode my :bike2: yesterday- 14 miles; and today I started jogging again, 3 miles. Eh, its a start.
A year ago from today I started a rotten chain of bad events and thus here I am 30 pounds overweight :(
SO- a year later- I am ready to really start changing.

Very happy to be here with ya all. :)

guacamole
08-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Redredbird - Sounds like you have made more than just a start! You are well on your way to getting healthy again! Keep us posted.

I did my bike ride today, no idea how far, but I did 3 sections of the trails I ride instead of 1 or 2, so I am tired! I stepped on the scale to 148 this morning! A post TOM whoosh! I'll take it!

Good luck today, everyone!

NEMom
08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
You go Guac! That is AWSOME!! I am so happy for you.

My scale h as been up and I don't really know why. I have been too busy to exercise but my food has not been bad. Hoping that it goes back down soon becasue I am getting really sick of the up and down games. Ugh.

syndehat
08-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Ladies

Always so good to hear all of your triumphs. Thank you somuch for sharing!:) I have had a good week of eating and am anxious to have my weigh in tomorrow to see how things are progressing. I also began exercising and am feeling good about that too. :carrot:

Here is something that I wanted to share as my silly little goal/ispiration/reminder thing I am going to do for myself. I bought a set of stack rings off QVC (1 ea. gold, silver and bronze) and as I acheive each of my mini-goals I reward myself by wearing one of the rings.

10# = bronze
20# = silver
30# = bronze + silver
40# = gold
50# = gold + bronze
60# = gold + silver
70# = all three rings!

I was inspired by another lady from this board (Sorry, I forget who right now :() and I think it will rally help me stay on track.

I just wanted to share my plan in the hopes that you will understand.

Sheila22
08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Hello Ladies!

Guac - 140s....WOO HOO!!!!!! :carrot:

I know just how you feel!!! I just hit the 149 mark a few weeks ago....it's AWESOME!

...just got home from the airport - I did fine all week - until today - stressful meetings, little to choose from at the lunch they brought in...I had a few bites of fruit for breakfast, a raw revolution bar and a bag of mixed nuts for lunch...then hit the airport - ordered a veggie burger (no bun) and a salad, but I swear the veggie burger was made out of bread --- and I ate it anyway...then on the plane ate the two 45 calorie bags of pretzels they gave me along with some pistachios...oh - and did I mention I had a few glasses of wine???? SHEESH!!! Bad food day...

On a good note, yesterday I ate well, and did two 30 minute workouts (interval walk and run) on the hotel treadmill....felt GREAT!!! Today was an early one - no workout and of course I just got home, so it's a "day off" day - - literally (also from a diet standpoint) - - tomorrow I weigh in, don't know what to expect.

What I do know, is that my size 8 suit was LOOSE today! WOO HOO!!! And I felt great. so it's all good...

waiting for my house to cool down - I just turned on the air - had it off this week so I wouldn't have to pay for air conditioning,....but now it's hot and sticky!

Tomorrow I'll kick everything back into high gear....

sept2012
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Is it weird I find myself singing to the new target back to school commercials... "the word up" tune was catchy hahhaa

Hi Ladies,

Thanks Guac for telling my about the august thread! It was getting quiet in july and I didn't realize everyone moved on to an august thread!

Today was good. I had a little moment tonight. I was starving and could not satisfy my cravings. I made a cup of coffee and put sugar in it. I know this is not the worst thing in the world one can do however its been 25 days since I have intentionally shoved sugar in my mouth. I felt guilty for a second and then decided to give myself a pass. TOM sucks *** if you know what I am sayin! :joker:

Sheila and Guac congrats on the victories today! You guys are doing great!

Hope all is well

JO :joker:

Sheila22
08-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Good morning everyone! TGIF!!!

I'm working from home this morning, then taking my daughter to a doctor's appointment this afternoon. Going to go to the trail here soon to get my morning walk/run in, and then hopefully go again this evening. I'm officially training for a 5K on September 8th!!! I'm scared, but also very excited!! Gives me something to work for.

Sept - good job on giving yourself a "Mulligan" on the sugar! Have you ever tried the sugar-free coffee syrups? They sell them in the grocery stores (I get mine at Walmart) - I have carmel, hazelnut, vanilla, ...and my favorite is almond....tastes like ameretto !!! Its completely guilt free and fabulous!! I usually put them in my decaf coffee in the evening - tastes like dessert! (or Christmas in a cup as I tell the kids...LOL). Also, the flavored Kuerig coffees are wonderful! I invested in one of the K-cup coffee makers, and I absolutely LOVE IT!!

Weighed in this morning at 146. So at least I didn't gain anything this week (and didn't lose either. :( ). Definitely kicking it in now until Labor Day when the kids and I go to Florida to see my Mom.

Hope everyone has a fabulous Friday!

Sum38
08-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Hi Ladies!!

Guacamole, way to go lady! :high:

I had horrid, horrid, HORRID July. I went from 143 to 155 in a month. Yup, some of was just bloat, but I think I "gained" 7 pounds. I ate, traveled and partied a lot. I am so mad at myself that I have to redo 140's all over again :mad: all that indulging was not worth it....I almost gave up, but after seeing a few pictures of myself...nope; I won't!!! I do not like how I look :no: :no:...so back on track.

Sending :dust: to everyone.

sept2012
08-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi Ya'll

This morning my nice little monthly visitor arrived. So thankful its going to be out of my way in just a few days. Have been avoiding the scale as I know there is water weight there.

Anyway did a 3.7 mile walk today. Funny I was thinking next weekend I will do double that. I gotta push myself past that 3 mile comfort zone that I have built up. While my dog "Tramp" and I were walking (or just as we were finishinng up) in came a pop up storm. Rain drop the size of quarters. It felt good to get wet after that walk although tramp really hates the rain hahahaha wussy! I like HP's new mantra "if your gonna do something make it matter"

Hope you all are having a great weekend so far.

JO

Sum38
08-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Nice walk, Jo. I love walking when it is raining, and my furbaby does not mind getting wet either.

I did elliptical for 30 minutes, I pushed myself pretty hard. Tomorrow, hopefully, should be a cooler and less humid day; therefore it will be a walk day. I am also hoping to see 140's tomorrow morning. :crossed: Eating was OP, which I am totally thrilled about. 3rd day of clean eating finished. :woohoo: It is always so difficult to cut that junk food and over eating cycle. No dinners out for me :no: :no:

I am hoping that everyone is feeling fab and fit this weekend.

guacamole
08-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Quick drive-by here! I have been super busy and it's going to be like this until September when the kids are back in school - camp ended Friday. I feel really nervous about not exercising and staying OP with my eating these next few weeks. Also, family reunion that I've been dreading (I mean looking forward to!) is happening in a few days - people will be in town later this week and into next week.

My eating this weekend wasn't great - but it was better than in weekends past. I have been feeling really emotional and angry today - not sure why. TOM is still not completely gone...maybe that's it?

I really wish people could give a compliment and stop before they put their foot in their mouth. Simply saying, "You look great!" is enough! No need to go on about how if they weren't standing in my home as proof it was me, they wouldn't recognize me. No need to say I look like a totally different person. No need to basically keep telling me what a whale of a gal I used to be without actually saying it. Just stop at "You look great!"

Sorry...rant over.

Nice to "see" everyone!

Sum38
08-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Guacamole, I can totally relate :hug: I put on my weight this past month because of family vacations and gatherings. Now I told everyone that I won't go out etc for 2 months, I need to undo the harm. You can do it!!!!

I feel better today, scale was under 150; it is comforting to see that 140 number. I am hoping to drop 2 pounds this week. I know it is quite an ambitious goal, but 148 is doable; considering I am not still convinced that I actually gained 4-7 pounds of fat in a few short weeks....I am sure I am still carrying water weight.

Jo, as I am ready to leave for my walk, I was thinking of you, because it is raining :) I love walking in a rain.

Have a beautiful Sunday!
:dust:

sept2012
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Oh what a difference a day makes.

Guac... I feel you woman. This TOM BS is BS. I have those moments around TOM that make me wonder if I am sane. Hahahah out of no where I will get pissed at someone or something and I can't even explain it. Take today for example. I am swimming. Its just me in the center lane and then two guys get in on either side of me. One is quite graceful and swims like a normal human being and the other I kept calling a PIG! Hahaha he slashed his arms in the water like a maniac and kicked so much water that there were waves in the pool bouncing me around - everytime I came up for air the waves shoved water in my mouth life I was in the ocean. He was not really a PIG but his pool ediquite sucked so I had to switch and swim on my back. Still each time he past me I had to deal with his slashing arms and waves but it was way better on my back. Typing this out makes me feel bad for a second... but really on a normal day without TOM I woundnt give this a second thought.

I am fighting with myself about working out and not working out. I seem to be having a debate with myself about whether or not I should be working the way that I am. The scale is not reflecting my work but I have to remind myself that it will eventually and I can not give up a healthier life style because I am not getting instant gratification.

SUM38 - I don't mind walking in the rain at all! I hope yours was as good as mine was!

Oh the joys of lfe

JO

Sheila22
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Stuck at 146! GRRRRR...

And to make matters worse, I'm having a glass of wine and didn't walk the trail today! (sigh)....

It's a beautiful day too....not sure why all of my motivation just took a day off - - sheesh!

I ate okay - forgot to have breakfast, then had a piece of salmon for lunch, then made a veggie taco salad for dinner (just threw some veggie crumbles, a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, a can of rinsed black beans, some taco seasoning and a little bit of water...served over shredded lettuce with a little bit of tofu sour cream and shredded cheddar rice cheese)

My daughter is in driving school -- I have to go and pick her up at 9pm every night this week, which in a weird way makes the day seem really long. (sigh)

Well, enough pouting and emoting...I'm going to watch a movie.

onmiwei
08-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I"m new here and not quite 40...only 3 months away so I thought I would fit in this support group. I just recently started, I have been going to the gym for 3 weeks at least 3-4 days a week so far. Trying to get it where it is at least 5 but it seems something is always going on after work that makes it hard to get there. Doc appts, art gallery walk that I was showing in so I had to go, the market where I sell my art work, full time work, daughter's hair appts...ect you know life. So far this week I only have one day where there is no extra time to go so I am saying i will make it 5 times this week. Right now I am only doing an hour to an hour and half on the treadmill moving speed and incline up and down to make it hard but not too hard where I feel I am going to die. I am working on jogging right now but at well over a hundred pounds overweight that is going to be slow going.

My goal for this week is to go to the gym 5 times this week...sun-sat already on day two of going. Also is to jog a minute at a time several times during my at least hour on the treadmill.

Next week I am gearing up to take at least one water aerobic class and two group fitness classes along with the treadmill time. The next week add weights and going to see the trainer that is offered for free by the gym. We get to see a trainer for free every 6 weeks to keep us on track.

I am so happy to have found this site, I have found so many great success stories on here.

sept2012
08-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Stuck at 146! GRRRRR...
Well, enough pouting and emoting...I'm going to watch a movie.

Hahaha Shelia you should have watched a workout video instead of a movie! Part of Prayer of Saint Francis

"Where there is despair let me sow hope". If only we could walk and live by these words without the despair :)

Hope todays better than yesterday!

JO

Sum38
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
:welcome: onmiwei

You found the perfect spot!!

guacamole
08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Hello everyone and welcome onmiwei. Went on a 5 mile bike ride with my husband and kids this morning. The pace was slower than my usual, but I am so pleased that I got to ride and that my kids could ride that far! Hubby took my bike in to get the sensor on my speedometer/odometer fixed, so I should have it back in a few days and once again have an accurate count of how fast and far I am going. Not sure when I will be able to ride again, but I will take it day by day. My eating hasn't been perfect, but I have stayed within my calorie range. One thing I am proud of is that I haven't caved in to eating sweets - and today I want to so badly, but I only have my exercise calories left. My husband bought cookies and chocolate, and they are calling my name. I know that if I go for a taste - I will binge on an entire package of cookies or an entire chocolate bar/bars. I am staying out of the kitchen. Ugh! I hate this feeling of trying to prevent a binge - haven't felt this way in awhile and it isn't even TOM! What's going on?

sept2012
08-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi Ya'll

Well yesterday was a good day. I got back on the scale and it said .03 oz down. ahahha damn TOM. Thankfully it is moving in the right direction again. I just started doing some math and realize that I may have set some goals for myself that may be a little out of reach. I was supposed to weigh 225 by Oct 31st. With the way things are going I don't know if that is feasible but I am going to keep that as my first big goal. I realize a normal person can not lose 4.25lbs per week every week but I will shoot for more like 3 so I am closer to 225 than not. That means ABSOLUTLY no alcohol for me. Not even the vodka and soda I love so much. I have to bump up my workouts and forget about those saturdays with my cocktails. Hey... I did go from a few times a week with girls, drinks and food to once per week, but now I realize that right now I can't even really have that once per week if I am going to get down. That in and of it self is a tiny bit depressing but for the long term results I am looking for I have to give up that need for immediate gratification. Giving up a few saturdays - going out and having "Fun" is not going to kill me. Right?

Hope you all have a wonderful day

JO

sept2012
08-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I am staying out of the kitchen. Ugh! I hate this feeling of trying to prevent a binge - haven't felt this way in awhile and it isn't even TOM! What's going on?

Whats going on is you met one of your goals you have been trying to hit. Your old "Former Self" is trying to pressure you into giving yourself some food gratification! Don't let it girl you are stronger than those f'ers! hahaha I hope your day today is better than yesterday in that arena. It's a slippery slope when you open that fridge and say "oh just one"

JO

sept2012
08-08-2012, 10:08 AM
.My goal for this week is to go to the gym 5 times this week...sun-sat already on day two of going. Also is to jog a minute at a time several times during my at least hour on the treadmill.

onmiwei

So happy you found this site too. This is a good group of people struggleing with the same type of issues. You know before I even started this process I found myself saying that I could not find time for the gym. My days were way to busy with life. I had this conversation with a person who meant a lot to me. I said to him " I can't seem to find the time" - we then talked when he worked out and I found myself having that "ah ha moment" Years ago I found a gym that was close to my office and went every day at lunch. When I brought that up this time he said "why not lunch time". My excuse that day was "I can't do it at lunch. I sweat so much and it takes an hour to do my hair. If I went at lunch I would look like s==t all day." The look he gave me was enought. What a crock of crap! ahahaha after a few weeks I thought back to to that conversation and was like "yeah - why not lunch". I found a gym right across the street from my office and am now on week six of every day at lunch. I leave my office, grab my gym bag and swim 5 days per week. So liberating to know you can actually find and/or make the time when it is a priority.

Off my soapbox now. I hope you find some good forums to engage in conversations in. I too am a transplant... via California.. passed through IDAHO for a bit and then finally landed in Georgia.

JO

guacamole
08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Whats going on is you met one of your goals you have been trying to hit. Your old "Former Self" is trying to pressure you into giving yourself some food gratification! Don't let it girl you are stronger than those f'ers! hahaha I hope your day today is better than yesterday in that arena. It's a slippery slope when you open that fridge and say "oh just one"

JO

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I think you are on to something. Telling myself I'll just have one usually results in me having a food hangover and groaning, "Why oh why did I eat the whole thing?"

creeation
08-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm new here. Like onmiwei, I am not quite 40, but will be celebrating a leap into my 40s in a little less than 2 months. I joined because I feel like I need the online support. My (new) husband and I are in this journey together and having him at my side is hugely motivating and supportive, but I'd like a little extra interaction with others on a day-to-day basis. My husband had a heart attack on June 18th and we decided, at that point, it was time for both of us to take weight loss seriously. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in my early 30s and have been saddled with high blood pressure for longer than that, so I know that I am significantly risking my own health and headed toward an early heart attack, as well, if I don't do something about it. We are both calorie counting, and following a diabetic diet as close as possible. We've been losing at a steady rate of 1-2 lbs per week for the last month and I feel good about this progress because I feel like for the first time in my life of yo-yo dieting that I am doing this the right way. Our exercise is limited because my husband is limited to what he can do right now, and I am at home caring for him during his recovery. But we are starting to go out for small, slow walks everyday (15-20 minutes). Well, I think that's about it for now. Looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

guacamole
08-09-2012, 06:11 PM
creeation - welcome! Small steps add up to big ones! You can do this!

Having a crazy day today - some of the family arrived for the weekend and the whirlwind has begun! Eating wasn't so great - but could have been worse! I am tracking the good, bad, and ugly calories - which keeps me focused on not forgetting my goals.

Good luck, everyone!

Sum38
08-09-2012, 08:41 PM
We were at Cedar Point amusement park yesterday and I did my best what came to eating, but everything was so salty and my scale JUMPED. Yikes. I guess it will take a few days to get it back down and all sodium flushed from my system. -- I took 30000 steps and it was so hard to see that 3 pound "gain" :mad: -- Today I stayed within my calorie limit as well, but I ate poorly including some wine. So I am not expecting to get any of that bloat off :no:

On a good news department. I had my porcelain veneers placed in today and my smile looks absolutely amazing. -- I kept breaking my front teeth by night time grinding and finally the bonding was not holding up.... I love my new smile :D I feel very lucky.

So tomorrow is a new day and back to my flat belly routine. I may do a small fast ( I like IF style eating) and fast until 3 pm tomorrow afternoon to get this bloat under control and give my digestive system some rest.

guacamole; have fun with your family and try not to worry about over eating.

creeation :welcome3: So sorry to hear about your husband, but sounds like you are both on your way to healthier life style. This is a wonderful place to share your journey and receive some much needed, at times, support and support others when they are struggling.

Jo, nice job adjusting your expectations. I say a loss is a loss if it is even one pound.

:dust: to all

sept2012
08-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi Ya'll

Its funny. I was just sitting here reading yet another book of memoirs of several women who have lost a significant amount of weight and their struggles / victories. I realized that as of today I have exactly 100 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I have read so many blogs and books lately I think the best way to put this is I have to lose 10 lbs 10 more times to reach my goal. I like those little baby increments. Much less daunting than 100 lbs all together. I was laughing a little because in all of the books and blogs everyone has their own story. What works for them and what didn't. The things that scare them or challenge them. It made me also start thinking of what I really want. Yes I stated this process to lose weight but what I really see now is that was just a small part of it. What I really want more than anything is to behave more like an athlete. I want habits and I want structure. Most of all I want a active lifestyle. At any rate I don't usually like to join in on group type things where exercise is involved but I did take on a new regimen this week with a sweet girl in my office. Its along the lines of the couch to 5k... Its a three month program to get you to run a 1/2 marathon. At first I felt a tiny bit intimated by it. Whats a 1/2 marathon? 13 miles or so??? crazy. But then I realized that I had set a goal to start running again on August 31st anyway so I may as well get started. So M-F I am swimming 30-45 minutes each day and then M,W,F,S you follow their routine. Walk 3 min... run 1 min for 40 mins then 44 mins and so on. On the saturday workout its bigger... this saturday is 4 miles of walk/run. To an outsider this may seem a little ambitious - maybe even foolish. To me it seems like the path that I am supposed to take if I am really going to make a go at this. I said to myself that I would stay away from things like personal trainers and bootcamp (for now) because I always leave them/there feeling so worn out and pushed beyond my limits that I would not return. With this schedule it feels like something I can do. Yes my muscles are a little sore but not like after those sessions I just mentioned.

Anyway thats my ramble for the day. Hope you all are well

JO

syndehat
08-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Good evening ladies! Had my weigh in today and am down another 3.6 pounds this week. This is especially good since last week I was somehow UP .4 pounds the week before. :( This was upsetting especially since I have not cheated ONCE on this diet. Anyhow, happy to report that things seem to be back on track now. Still looking forward to getting to put on my first reward ring (hopefully next week :)) I have a mini goal set to be down another 10 pounds by Labor Day. Might be tough but I need a goal to help keep me on track.
Anyhow, headed to the farmers market tomorrow morning to load up on fresh fruit and veggies for the next week. Hope you all have a super weekend. I love reading your posts and am happy to offer my support to all of you! :carrot:

sept2012
08-11-2012, 08:01 AM
I have a mini goal set to be down another 10 pounds by Labor Day. Might be tough but I need a goal to help keep me on track.

You can do it!

Sheila22
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Hello Everyone!!!

144.5 !!!! :carrot:

One and a half pounds to go to my 40 pound bracelet!!! :)

I've decided to amplify my game - - started kickboxing again today - - was pouring sweat when I was done and felt great!

But it's a dreary, rainy day - - and I know I should be cleaning or doing something productive, but I'm feeling lazy now --- I've decided to think of it NOT as a "wasted day", but as a "deserved day off"....

.....I'll clean tomorrow. :)

I'm also gearing up for the 5K on September 8th....I've decided I'm going to do my best, and if I have to "power walk" some of it, then so be it. As long as I finish. :D

I went to a new local health food store after kickboxing this morning - bought vegan mozzarella cheese which is supposedly good "melting" cheese - so tonight I'll make a crustless vegan pizza in the oven...

Tomorrow - cleaning - definitely also interval walking/running the trail to work on my 5K training, and hopefully some cooking for the week - -

Monday's calendar actually has ZERO meetings - - so I think I'm going to work from home!!! Can be much more productive, but also more relaxed and MOBILE!! So - I can read emails on my treadmill! :-)

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend - I'm hoping to have my 4th bracelet on by this time next week!!

To all of the "new crew" - WELCOME!!! I'm so glad to have this "family" to inspire me and keep me motivated!!

Lisabean
08-11-2012, 09:42 PM
A newby here, noticed the 40 something post and had to comment! I lost my first 10 in a months time diligently watching my caloric intake, my plan is to tackle the next 10 with just as much effort and commitment.

BUT oh god today is hard, I was watching the Olympics with the family and they are sharing chips and guacamole (my favorite) and I was hungry too!
Instead of eating it I reached for some garden tomatoes and salt, finally, I just left the room because it is TOUGH to be strong right now.

Do you ever have those tough moments??

sept2012
08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
A

BUT oh god today is hard, I was watching the Olympics with the family and they are sharing chips and guacamole (my favorite) and I was hungry too!
Instead of eating it I reached for some garden tomatoes and salt, finally, I just left the room because it is TOUGH to be strong right now.

Do you ever have those tough moments??

Oh god it is hard for sure. Every single day sometimes every minute has to be about the choice you are making. I hate to say it but I have kind of put myself into solitary for now. I made a decision for a month to not eat out (not once) and not have any adult beverages plus stick to my plan and workout during that time. I thought 30 days is easy. Remove myself from situations and I can't go wrong... wrong. I see there will always be someone that doesn't get it and will say something like "you can have one" or there will always be a situation where your invited somewhere and for whatever reason you can not say no. Its hard. Everyday its about you - you have to be a little selfish - everyday is about your mission. Although with the chips and guac. I get it I would have left the room too. Sometimes you just have to.

My Michelle
08-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Lisabean - Oh my goodness, YES, it's freaking HARD! Some days I feel like I'm fighting a battle every minute of the day, it's just so exhausting!

I can't snack, it just triggers me even if I'm snacking on healthy foods. It is crazy hard not to eat stuff when everyone else is.

I'm right there with you.

onmiwei
08-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Thank you all for the welcome! I am still here but my goals got a bit messed up. I believe I have a good excuse though. My dad had an accident...he was climbin a ladder trimming trees when my mom wasn't home. He fell...head first on a log trim around the lawn from what they believe to have been 12-15 feet. My mom found him she has no idea how long he was there but from the looks it was a while. he was life flighted to Boise. I got there the next day and after that we took him off life support the next day...he died on Friday. he always told me he wanted me to lose weight because I was so striking as an in shape woman. I am ashamed I never lost the weight while he was alive for him to see me like that again...so my exercise and diet have been a bit thrown off but I am still determined.

onmiwei
08-12-2012, 02:46 PM
OH but according to my mom's scale I have lost 5lbs.

syndehat
08-12-2012, 03:43 PM
omniwei I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You need to let yourself greive for your tremendous loss and try to be there for your Mom as much as you can. This is going to be a difficult time and maybe if you know that and prepare yourself for it you can somehow prevent yourself from using food to block the pain (which it can't do). Most of us that are overweight have used food as some sort of cruch to hide/mask/surpress other, less desireable feelings. Maybe as a tribute to your Dad you could prevent yourself from going back to that sort of behavior? I don't know... But again please accept my deepest sympathy for yor loss. {{HUGS}}

Sum38
08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Evening ladies :hat:

Very nice to see so many new "faces". :welcome3:

SeeMyFeet. Congrats on your non-gain!! It is a start. Last year was my first year that I ended up even, and this is my first year with a loss.

onmiwei I am very sorry about your father! :hug:

Lisabean YES! Snacks are my biggest problem.

Sheila Congrats on your 144.5. How tall are you? I hit 142.5 in June but unfortunately I gained some back. I have a charm bracelet as well for my weightloss.

:wave: syndehat, My Michelle, sept2012

Sending :dust: to all

Sum38
08-13-2012, 06:33 AM
SeeMyFeet I love this site and all the ladies (and occasional gentlemen). Everyone is super supportive. What I like the most, there are so many forums that it is easy to find like minded people. -- You won't be ignored :D

My Michelle
08-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey SeeMyFeet, I love your name! I know I'm here also because I need the kind of push I get from reading about others going through my same challenges -- and beating them! :)

I'm happy this morning because I'm out of the 180s, yay!

sept2012
08-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Hi to all the new ladies who have joined this month! Its good to have you here!

This weekend was a mixture of things for me. 1st I did the 4 mile walk/run on Saturday. It was not super easy :) but I made it and am so happy about that. I had contact from an ex boyfriend and let myself get caught up in a little drama which I swore I would not do again. This morning when I wokeup I feel like I put this to rest. I dealt with a tiny bit of loneliness as I have told you all about my "solitary confinement" I am practicing for the month. That was a little difficult. One can only sit by the pool, read, clean, watch tv or do the internet for so long. The good news is I am 13 days in and only 18 days out till I break out. ahahahahah. The other part of the good news is my attempt to break cycles and habits is showing on the scale. I was down another 1.4 lbs this morning. So... only 97lbs now till goal. Seems like it is getting closer and closer.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

JO

Sheila22
08-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello Everyone!

Good weekend - I kickboxed on Saturday for an hour, then yesterday went to the trail and ran most of it! Still a long way to go until I'm ready for the 5K on September 8th.

And today I have a GLORIOUS GIFT of working from home! I'm sitting on my sofa, barefoot, no makeup, hair in a ponytail with my workout clothes on..lol It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL outside, so I think I will go out on the back deck this afternoon to finish my workday.

Tonight - Kickboxing again for an hour starting at 5:30! :-) And our instructor is awesome - she is also a runner, so I'm hoping for some advice about training for this 5K.

Had veggie sausage patties for breakfast, and 1/2 piece of grilled salmon for lunch - tonight I'm going to make a big salad after kickboxing along with some fresh salsa.

Oh - and I weighed in at 144 this morning! So only 1 more pound to go until I'm 40 down!! WOO HOO!!! The only bad news - it's PMS week - - so I'm hoping I can still see 143 before the bloating hits.... :(

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Sheila

Sheila22
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Okay - well, I decided during my "lunch break" to go up and "closet shop" - my exercise room closet has all of my old and smaller clothes - the good news - I found some wonderful size 8 pants and skirts to wear!

The bad news - - I also tried on some size 6 skirts - - WAY too tight...but I know I'll get there - - it just strengthened my resolve. Definitely going to work really hard at kickboxing tonight - - it might be PMS bloating, but my stomach feels SOOO BIG!!! Grrrrr.....

NEMom
08-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I am back. Have only a couple more nights of working my partitme job but the worst is over.
Stepped on my scale this morning and wanted to cry at the number. I was unable to get my regular exercise in but I tried to keep my food in line. There were days that I ate a few things I should not have but I did not expect the number I saw on the scale this morning.
Back on the wagon. Need to get to my second goal and lose the weight I put back on cause I can feel it in my pants.

Sum38
08-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Scale is not being my friend. It is stubbornly staying over 150 lbs mark. :mad: I have done fantastic job what comes to clean eating. I also walked 5/7 last days (total 25 miles) and one day I did the elliptical...and that silly scale won't budge...argh! I am dreaming of the 142 lbs I saw earlier this summer....why do we let the weight creep back up??? Oh well, I will win this battle eventually. :sunny:

Sheila22
08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Sum38 - I've felt your pain!!! I plateaued at the same place for awhile - then I mixed up my workout routine and the pounds started coming off again - maybe elliptical more? I've read that the elliptical burns twice the calories of the treadmill!! In fact, I just purchased one for my exercise room! :-)

....Just finished an hour of kickboxing - feel great - but I know I'm going to be incredibly sore tomorrow. :-) It's all good - - my "core" (aka stomach) is SO WEAK!! I worked it hard tonight - - I'm very proud of my progress, but still see that flabby stomach in the mirror....it's definitely my target area!

I haven't eaten dinner yet - need to figure out what to do - still have some crustless veggie pizza in the fridge, so I might opt for that. Tomorrow is a long workday - lunch meeting - fortunately I was able to order a salmon salad! Am going to pack a container of simple balsamic vinegar for a dressing.

I have a new goal - in 15 days, the kids and I will fly to Florida to see my Mom. Today I weighed in at 144 - my goal is to lose 5 pounds by the time we fly out - I know I can do it - - just need to focus and "train"!!

Sheila22
08-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Hello Everyone!

TOM - scale went up to 144.5 this morning... grrrr...

But it's okay - I know I'm heading in the right direction (albeit way too slow!)

Today - dentist appointment at 9 (uh!) then work - busy day which will mean it will go fast.

Tonight - will walk/run the trail, then come home and make a veggie taco salad for dinner (YUM!) - lunch - salmon salad....it will be an early evening - I have to get up at 3:30am to leave the house at 4:30 to catch a 6:15am flight tomorrow (UH!) - so tomorrow will be a long day - I'm going to be sure to pack a "raw revolution" bar in my purse for breakfast ---- in fact, I'm going to do that now so I don't forget. Flight should back in tomorrow at 6:30pm - I'm hoping for no delays, but just in case, I'll throw a bag of 100 calorie mixed nuts in there too...BE SUPPLIED, NOT DENIED! :)

...I'm "on the wagon" again now until Labor Day - - really want to hit the 130s before leaving for Florida - only 5 (well, 5.6) pounds to go!!!

I ordered an elliptical yesterday for my exercise room!!! It should arrive on Thursday - I can't wait! Now I'm in search for Fitness Wall Art!!!

Sum38
08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Sheila22 -- I have an elliptical and I love it. I try to use it 2 x week... I have a lab mix furbaby, and I need to walk her daily. We usually hike 5 miles each day....therefore my elliptical use has not been that high. I am a fast walker. I usually average 4.1-4.3 mph and it is outdoors on a quite hilly terrain...BUT I think elliptical would speed up my weightloss. You will love yours! What I really need to do is to start lifting more. I hate it, therefore I try to avoid it, but lifting I am sure would give an extra boost.

NEMom :hug: I am sure a lot of it is water weight. -- We can do it!! I am working on getting lower as well, after vacations and family gatherings....my scale is officially up by 8 pounds from lows :mad: ....

Ovulation is done, therefore I am expecting to drop a pouns or two this week. I want to see 148 by Sunday!! I am determined.

Plan for today
Walk 5 miles
weights!!!!!

Meals
bfast smoothie 350 cal
salad with tuna 450 cal
grilled chicken, veggies and potatoes 550 cal
snacks are TBD 100-150 cal

total 1500 cal
- 500 exercise cal.

Have a happy day ladies :sunny:

sept2012
08-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Having a rough morning. I know why. I am mad at myself for participating in drama that I should not have. Also my scale went up 2.7 lbs this morning for no reason... I know I know its water weight but sheez... I am staying on plan, drinking my water and working out sometimes 2x per day. There is no obvious reason the scale went up. The old me came back today and wanted to say f it... I am dying for pizza anyway, but as I drove into work the more reasonable side of me started talking again.

SUM38 - why do you think you go up durning ovulation? Maybe thats my issue right now. I never thought of that? I have heard a few days before TOM but ovulation? Thats new...

Hope all is well

JO

onmiwei
08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
I am still at my mom's house. I got back home friday. It is a good thing we just joined a gym so i can work out stress at the gym. My sister and I have been trying to eat my mom's diet, she is diabetic and her blood sugar was getting high due to the stress and the not really eating for 4 days.

Still motivated to lose weight and get healthy.

Sum38
08-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Jo, I guess when body is ovulating and expecting possible conception, if hangs onto water in order to protect the pregnancy... once it does not happen, it releases all the water. Some women gain more during ovulation vs TOM. I go up about 2 pounds for ovulation and 2-4 with TOM. I have charted my weight, daily, since Jan 1st and all my "gains" happen mid month and before TOM, and all my swooshes happen the week after ovulation and week after TOM. -- Our bodies are so strange :crazy: I swear I did not have this much hormonal fluctuation when I was younger. :lol3:

omni I am sending hugs and good thoughts to you and family. :hug:

Sheila22
08-14-2012, 05:49 PM
SEPT - YOU GO GIRL!! DO YOU!!! I also have an "ex drama" - - seriously let it rule my life for WAY TOO LONG! Then I shifted to focus on ME - - self-destructing and "numbing" with food (or in my case food and wine) only hurt ME, not him...and then I felt worse and worse - you know the whole spiral thing. Sounds like you're on the right path - but I know its not easy!! Everytime those "f-it" emotions come up (trust me, I've had them, and Lord knows I've caved into them)...pause and say - "who am I hurting here?" I am practicing EXTREME SELF CARE these days....especially when I have the rough ones - I literally have a TCS list ("Take Care of Sheila" ;) )....and when I feel the need to just give up, my default is going for a walk on the trail - but I have also gone and got a mani/pedi, facial, or even go shopping and buy myself something pretty. :)

Speaking of frustrations - today I went to the dentist for a routine cleaning - they sent me immediately to the periodontist - I lost 30% of the bone between my upper back two molars! So now I have to have a "laser cleaning" - - - then when I went to the periodontist, he took x-rays too, and said it looks like I need a root canal in the same tooth! I'm not even feeling pain!! SHEESH! The lesson ladies - you must protect your gums! I brush and floss, but have always focused more on my front teeth than the back - - now I'm paying the price. Uh - the laser cleaning alone will cost me an upfront $1900 !!!! Their policy is pay first and they will submit to the insurance company to reimburse YOU...amazing. So next Thursday is pain day...I won't be able to eat anything but soft foods for a week - - maybe there's a silver lining somewhere here???? ;)

So...given my intense frustration, and the rainy day (which means I couldn't go to the trail) - I got on my treadmill, put on my 5K list and JOGGED / RAN an entire 5K!!! My first time without slowing down to power walk!!! :carrot:
Took me 44 minutes and 8 seconds....clearly the actual 5K will be more difficult than a flat cushy treadmill, but I've proven to myself that I can do it!!!

Oh - and I also bought myself some new mascara on the way home - - just a little "treat" for me - - I've found that everything is connected to everything - -and just the little things have cascading effects - - when I was 183 and completely "f-it" ;), not only did I not care about what I chose to eat or drink, but I also didn't care about how I looked - - I got up every morning dreading getting dressed...slapped on my makeup, threw my hair up and "did the day" (I LITERALLY SAID THAT TO MYSELF: "JUST DO THE DAY")...now I find that experimenting with new makeup, a new eyeshadow is another way of me telling myself that I care about ME....so when I'm feeling down, I try to focus on looking good "FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT" LOL....ironically, it really works!!! Then I find that if I'm more choiceful about my looks, I tend to be more choiceful about what I eat, etc...

...which brings me to dinner - - veggie taco salad night!! I'm going to get off of this computer, put on some Jack Johnson, and go into the kitchen and make fresh salsa, veggie taco meat and have it over shredded lettuce. YUM!!

I hope everyone had a great day! Not sure if I'll check in tomorrow or not --- flights are unpredictable - but if I don't, have a great Wednesday!!!

sept2012
08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Sum - i guess that makes sense. I guess for me now i only get two weeks of no weight fluctuation per month :) then. I never tracked it that closely. CRAZINESS.

Shelia - thanks for your words of wisdom. i do know better. My motto has been "I am giving up my past - so I am ready for my future". Sometimes the future seems so far away and today seems so much like my past I have a hard time seeing the good in what I am doing. Tonight didn't get any better but I am suspecting (praying) tomorrow I will give myself a break and the day will just be better.

Sum38
08-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Morning :sunny:

Weight 150.5 lbs (ugh...it is taunting me :lol:)

Plan for today
Walk 5 miles
Elliptical 30 minutes

Bfast
~ smoothie 350
Lunch
~ Salad with chicken 400
Dinner
~ Steak with veggies and side salad 600
Snacks
TBD 150
Total cal 1500
Exercise - 800

Sum38
08-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Sheila, congrats on your 5K run! :high: -- We had a rainy/misty day as well; I did go out and walk. It actually felt great after that huge heatwave (we live in MI). Sorry about your dental problems! I just had a crown place on one of the back teeth and 4 veneers on front. My dentist does the same with billing, and it sucks. I had to pay $5600 up front, needless to say checking account is a tad bit on a lighter side until the insurance check comes in. :headache:

Wishing everybody; have a FAB and FIT day. :dust:

sept2012
08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Ladies,

Today has been a great day so far. I accepted all of the water weight BS and just moved on.

Did my swim at lunch and am doing a walk/run after work today. I posted some of my mini goals on my signature to try to keep me on track. I feel like even if I can't make them I know I will be close and that will be a huge accomplishment.

The weather has been absolutly splendid here in GA. After a few rounds of crazy thunderstorms the temp dropped to the 70's and has stayed there for a few days! I am loving every single minute of it! The humidity is low and you can't beat that in mid August in GA. Oh and I am once again looking at trail bikes. A friend of mine (who is pretty hard core) suggested that I purchase it off from Craigslist instead of buying new. Ah-Ha I knew I asked him for a reason. Those bikes can be pricy but craigslist is doable.

Hope you all have a great day!

JO

guacamole
08-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Hello, ladies! Just checking in after a crazy few days. Eating hasn't been great, but could have been worse considering all of the food that's been around me. I got two 5 mile bike rides in over the past 5 days. I wasn't expecting to get any exercise in, so I am happy about that. I woke up with a terrible cold this morning and have been in bed all day. Hopefully, it's just a 24 hour kind of bug - my husband and kids are home on vacation and I missed a trip to a water park today. :(

Hope everyone is doing well - glad to see so many new and old posters keeping this thread alive!

Sheila22
08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Just home from Atlanta - - -and you're right Sept! The weather was beautiful! Although I only felt it from the airport to the office and back. :-/

Set my alarm for 3:30am to catch the flight - - it was one of those nights when I woke up throughout the night to check the clock - - think I was worried I wouldn't wake up to the alarm - finally at 2am I gave up sleeping - - so I got up and made coffee - - needless to say, I'm tired.

And also VERY glad I packed my "survival food" - - ate a flaxseed bar on the plane, which was delayed for almost two hours (sitting on the tarmac)...lunch was fine...I had a delicious vegan tomato basil soup and a piece of grilled salmon and steamed veggies - - - was hungry again at about 5pm - - so ate a raw revolution bar from my purse - - saved me from those airplane pretzels!! :)

Now I'm home - - beautiful evening for a walk/run on the trail, but I'm taking the night off - - I'm simply too physically exhausted. Will go to bed early so I can have a productive day tomorrow.

Guac - I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! DO YOU GIRL!!! Extreme self care!!! :)

Oh - and when I got home my elliptical was on the front porch ---- assembly required (UH!) - - and it was so heavy, it was all I could do to push it into the house - - will have one of my daughter's football friends help me take it upstairs Friday night. I'm glad it's here though! :)

Used my new mascara this morning -- simple pleasures. :)

I'm going to throw on a movie and chill tonight for awhile before bed - glad to be home!!

Sum38
08-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Morning :sunny:

My doggie is dead tired. She is nearly 8 years old and looks like she could use a day off from walking. I walk in some wooded areas with nice trails and she gets to walk off leash. I usually do a 5.1 mile loop and she probably gets twice that by going back and forth sniffing everything and chasing squirrels...so she can only walk 3-4 days in a row and then she needs a rest day. -- Therefore I think I will go for a 12 mile bike ride :bike2:. It is a beautiful morning. Later on I will lift a bit...hate it :wl: but I know I need it.

Everyone have a FAB day!

Sum38
08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Well, I took a wrong turn and I ended up biking for 16 miles. :yikes: Feels good though. I think I need to hit the trails more often with my bike, I can already feel "new" muscles :lol3:

What did you do today to get fit? (except guacamole who is sick :()

NEMom
08-16-2012, 10:40 AM
You ladies are such an insperation. I am having trouble getting my groove back but I read here every day and am so inspired by you ladies. Keep up the great work.
I was able to exercise 3 times this week but my food had not been great. I do good all day long and when I get home it all goes out the window. I have been having for stern talks with myself and hoping to get my rear in gear soon!

sept2012
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
What did you do today to get fit? (except guacamole who is sick :()

Hahah just another day at the office BUT... I am walking out the door to continue my race accross the English Channel. 6 miles or so down 900 to go! hahahaha. Seriously though this place is such an inspiration. Funny how you get led in the right direction just when you need it the most. I think I have found the best forum on this site so far with you all. I am looking on craigs list to purchase my first trail bike. Looking forward to mixing up the routine a little.

Sum good job on the bike ride! Thats awesome!

Guac Sorry for the sickies. I hope you are better soon!! PS how did all of the stuff go with your family? I read what you wrote on another forum about how they treated you. Was it good bad or the same?

NEMom - you can do it too

Shelia - good job on the food choices during your trip!

guacamole
08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Hello, lovely ladies! Glad to see you are all doing well and are mindful of your progress. Sum38 - I am impressed with your 16 miles!!

I am feeling better today - not 100%, but much better than yesterday. I am also on antibiotics for a nasty spider bite I got about 2 weeks ago that seems to have gotten infected. I wonder if I got it on the bike trails? I didn't notice it when it happened. It is pouring with rain here today, so no biking or walking for me. My husband and kids are still on vacation and food is a challenge. Up to 152 lbs this morning. I'm cutting myself some slack until school starts and I have time to myself again.

Good luck today!

Sum38
08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
5 mile walk and 5 mile bikeride for me today. I slept poorly and I feel just drained. I wanted to bike 10 miles but I just turned around and came home; no need to push it when one is not feeling it.

sept2012
08-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Oh Ladies,

I am in dire need of some support. I told you earlier in the week I have been struggling. I am still... dealing with the same weight for 6 days now. Scale is not moving. I have not diverted YET. I am in a little bit of freakout mode as I feel like I have already stalled. IT CANT BE! I have not even hit the 20 lb mark yet. My mind is starting to play with me. Thinking about saying screw it! I thought I had been making some good habits but this week they don't seem to be paying off.

What can I do to recharge and not go off the deep end?

Help

JO

guacamole
08-17-2012, 02:19 PM
SeeMyFeet - love your goals and rules - especially the one about avoiding angry people! That was one of my rules too - except I called them "toxic people." I cut out a lot of negative people from my life right around the time I got serious about weight loss. I also stopped working at a job that was stressing me out. I don't underestimate the role that alleviating stress played in my weight loss.

Sum38 - We aren't robots - we are only human and have to listen to what our bodies are telling us.

sept2012 - Don't give up! I recommend you search and read posts on 3FC by a poster named kaplods. She really puts success and failure with weight loss into perspective. You are a success! A few days or weeks of maintenance is being successful - it's more than most people can accomplish.

Went for a walk today, eating is not the greatest, taking it one day at a time!

syndehat
08-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Ladies

So happy to check in with all of you and see that I am not alone with my struggles and concerns. I sometimes wish that I could have been a drug addict or alcoholic so that I could just go to detox and never have to touch the stuff again. But no, I have to have an "addiction" to food that I am S L O W L Y learning to "manage" . It's not like we can just quit food like you can if you are on drugs or booze. :mad:

On the brighter side I am down another 2.2 pounds this week despite having to go out of town on a family emergency and being a little out of my element. I am taking it day-by-day and doing my best. I love checking in with all of you and take such comfort in all your wisdom.:carrot:

sept2012
08-18-2012, 08:24 AM
seemyfeet - hahaha thanks for the thoughts... the scale moved a bit this morning and put me in the 20 lbs down place. I feel like seeing that number put me in a better place. Showing me that the hard work is paying off. I didn't cave even though I wanted to for a minute. Now its onward and upward to the next 20 lb goal. My thought process has always been one minute, one day, one step at a time. I went wayward for one of those minutes but am back on track.

So today is the long exercise day. Its 5 miles on the track for me. Walking 3 minutes and jogging 1 for 5 miles. Last week I did 4 do and it damn near did me in, but with the scale victory today I am just going to try to keep in mind that I can do it no matter how daunting it may seem. It was supposed to be mostly sunny here today but I see nothign but gray clouds. I hope the rain holds off until the walk/run is over :)

Everyone make it a great Saturday. The weekends can be challenging... Keep on track!:smug:

sept2012
08-18-2012, 01:29 PM
seemyfeet... hahaah I could care less about what people think of me in a swim suit. Never had issues with that. so did not take it the wrong way. hey... my goal is to wear a Brazilian in 2016 in Rio at the Olympics. I have already recruited my peps who want to go now its up to me.

You found the right support forum. I have found these ladies very insightful and motivating! Stick around. Its good to have you here.

Sum38
08-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Greetings from Michigan :sunny:

We are having an absolutely perfect day, weather wise. I just took a 4.5 mile walk and biked the trails for 8 miles earlier this morning.

Scale is not moving. It is sitting pretty at 150.5 ; oh well this too shall pass.

Sheila22
08-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Hello Everyone!

TOM - :-/ so I'm weighing in at 145 again - - the good news though, is that I KNOW it's water...and my body is going to surprise me in a few days by hitting that 143 mark and officially being 40 pounds down!!! :)

I have been working out religiously...and RUNNING THE TRAIL WITHOUT POWERWALKING!!! :-) I can run a 5K on the treadmill now without walking, and I'm at 1/2 of a 5K on the trail - - I can do it!! And I can't believe it, but when I was having a stressful day at work, instead of saying "I need a glass of wine", I said "I need a RUN"!! And I MEANT IT!! :)

I think it must be the endorphins, but I'm addicted!! :)

For those of you frustrated...I know your pain...in fact, no one even noticed my weight loss of 25 pounds - - every day I would come home to my kids feeling frustrated that no one noticed...now everyone has noticed! :) So HANG IN THERE!!

One of the most important "tricks" I learned for weight loss is to sincerely and truly LOVE MYSELF. I NEVER beat myself up anymore if I "fall off the wagon" - I'm human - "progress....not perfection"... ;-)

.....and I found that when I "beat myself up", it was completely useless...just made me feel bad about myself, and made me want to throw in the towel...(that "spiral") - - now, if I had a bad day, I try to say "hmmm...that wasn't one of my better days - what can I do to make TODAY SERVE ME????" - - "What do I really want?" "How do I want to feel?" "Who do I want to be?"

.....and even when no one noticed I had lost weight, the truth is, I felt BETTER when I exercised and ate "clean and lean".....I think it's a personal power thing...but I feel STRONGER when I exercise and eat healthy.

I have often fallen into "victim" mode ---- like I HAD to exercise, and I COULDN'T eat the "good food"....couldn't drink wine --- that was also useless and works against me. Now I look at everything I do as MY CHOICE - I CHOOSE to exercise, I CHOOSE to eat "clean and lean" and I CHOOSE to moderate my alcohol consumption - - and I am CHOOSING to enjoy wine tonight without ANY guilt! :)

I hope this is helping some of you - but it really is so much more helpful to be self-affirmative!! :-)

Today I had two veggie sausage patties for breakfast with a slice of rice cheddar cheese - lunch - the kids and I went to a Japanese steakhouse - I ordered a kani salad (with no tempura flakes on top), and asked them to cook my shrimp and veggies (no rice) without any butter or oil - and I had a miso tofu soup - - it was all yummy! Then for dinner I made veggie taco salad...just finished it - it was delicious!

I ran the trail this morning, and this afternoon (after school shopping with the kids), I came home and did 100 crunches - I had planned on kickboxing this morning, which would have been a much harder workout but it didn't happen - and I'm not feeling guilty about it - I WILL plan to go Monday night after work though - I want to build muscle and strengthen my core - (flabby abs) - and kickboxing moves me faster to that goal!

Going to watch the Hunger Games with the kids in a bit - - we all had a great day - weather is BEAUTIFUL here! Sunny and 70s....

....oh - and I took all of my "old closet" to the consignment shop - thousands of dollars in clothes, suits, etc...they didn't want much - I got 30 bucks... LOL - donated the rest to charity. :D

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday night!

Sum38
08-18-2012, 07:41 PM
You ladies are awesome!!

:grouphug:

Sheila22
08-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Hello Ladies!

What a beautiful day it was today! Sunny and 70 - love it!!! This morning I went to the trail and ran, then came home and cleaned out the garage, then went BACK to the trail this evening and did another power walk - 10000 steps! :-)

...also got my landscape beds weeded - I seriously have a thistle problem in my back landscape - it drives me nuts!! Grrrr....

Had two veggie sausage patties for breakfast (with a slice of rice cheese), lunch - veggie taco salad, snack - the remainder of my veggie taco meat with kidney beans - now I'm STARVING - going to make a veggie pizza. (crustless of course) :)

Hope everyone had a great day!

sept2012
08-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I first recorded 272 on the scale on 8-13. I have been boucing around up and down the blasted scale since then. Not going down just up and down. Overall I have lost 6 pds this month (this morning it is 4.5 because it went back up). For the love of god sometimes I HATE being a woman. I hate that depending where you are in the month you can have these fluctuations. I have over 90 lbs left. I am on week eight and have so much time and weight left to lose. I feel so so so discouraged this morning. This is the first time in my entire life that I have stayed on a food program and excercise program for so long without deviating and here I am. I feel like I may as well shove a hamburger in my mouth, bun catchup mayo and all, and it would not make a difference. URGGGGGG!

Sheila22
08-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Hello Ladies!

Kind of a unique day for me - I had laser surgery on my face this morning (roseacea) and a couple of sun spots zapped - they scab and then peel off (sorry for the gory details) - long story short - I look like I have the chicken pox! Worked from home (teleconference) this afternoon. At lunch I got on the treadmill - thought I would run a 5K - am not sure why, but my body just wasn't cooperating - I "power walked" for about 15 minutes and then simply stopped - - the good news - I just got back from the trail and ran straight for 20 minutes! :) Felt great!

However - - - my scale is stuck. :( It's not moving from 145!!! I absolutely KNOW in my gut (literally) that I HAVE to be burning fat! I'm eating right, exercising like a maniac (Love that song - it's on my running playlist - lol) - so WHY CAN'T I HIT THAT 40 POUND MARK OF 143?!? Only two lousy pounds - - and I keep wanting to put on that bracelet hanging on my bathroom door (on the hook that holds my calendar tracking my progress) - - - it's hard not to be down about it....but I'm not giving up!!! And regardless, I feel great - exercise is bringing me a sense of strength I haven't felt in a long time - and running is giving me a whole new level that I've NEVER felt before! :)

....Sept - don't give up girlfriend! You can do this! You've already lost the equivalent of two large 10 pound bags of potatoes! Just think about that!!! It's an awesome accomplishment!! :)

I made meatless "meatballs" for dinner with pizza instead of spaghetti sauce...it's a beautiful sunny and 70s evening....too bad it's a work night!

Tomorrow is "camouflage" day - I need to play "makeup artist" in the morning to cover up all of my face scabs...LOL BUT, I picked out my outfit for the day - I'm going to wear mustard "skinny jeans", a white shirt with 3/4 length sleeves with a black sweater vest on top and for "icing" - I picked out a fantastic black floral scarf with pink and mustard colored flowers in it....I NEVER wear scarves - (OR for that matter also mustard colored skinny jeans - lol) - but I want to get more "life" into my wardrobe (and my life) - - my closet looks like it's in mourning with all of the BLACK! I think I thought it made me look slimmer.....so there is a SEA of it! :) so I'm experimenting with color...:)

Well, I had better eat dinner - hopefully tomorrow's weigh in is better, but I also know that while I'm burning fat, I'm building muscle...so I'm taking it easy on myself.

Have a wonderful evening everyone!

-S

Sheila22
08-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Well, it must have been the TOM (which is now OVER) but this morning I got on the scale - 143!!!

FOURTY POUNDS DOWN!!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

WOO HOO!!! I am so thrilled! Really offset my yucky scabs from the laser surgery on my face... :) My daughter and I ran the trail tonight - She could only run 1/2 way, but it was great going together!

Just had to share my 40 pound success! ....Now onto 50!

Sum38
08-22-2012, 07:39 PM
I got in trouble for saying....nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

Whatcha think?

guacamole
08-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Sheila22 - How wonderful!!! Congratulations on the 40lbs lost!!!! Enjoy wearing your bracelet - you deserve it!!

Sum38 - In trouble? By who, the quotation police? ;) Seriously though, I always found that quote to be very motivational and so true! However, I have heard the opinion expressed that it's a saying that's very big in the "pro-anorexia movement" and encourages people to starve themselves. I think people who are going to starve themselves into weight loss are going to twist things to their own distorted perspective regardless of the words or advice given. To me, the saying itself is not dangerous. I certainly never took its meaning to an extreme.

Well....exercise is pretty non existent these last few days. Eating is horrible. PMS is here with a vengeance. Kids are all home and I am trying to take them on day trips and give them a last week or so of fun before school begins. Hopefully, I'll get back on the wagon when things settle down. Not feeling great about myself or my waistline at the moment.

Good luck, everyone!

syndehat
08-22-2012, 08:47 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Sheila! You should celebrate your victory and know that you have the power in you to get to the 50 lb. mark in no time :)

I take such comfort in hearing all of your stories! It makes me feel less alone :p

Sheila22
08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Guac - YOU ROCK!!! Don't get too down - you got this. ;)

Well - I had the laser surgery on my gums this afternoon - and unfortunately, didn't get to eat a decent lunch, and I'm on a liquid diet for the next 24 hours...and THEN for the next week, I can only eat "mushy" foods - - :-(

So much for salad - - - just means I need to plan though - so right after I left the dentist I went to the health food store and stocked up on soy yogurt (can't eat it today, but can tomorrow afternoon), and also bought a vegan protein shake mix (had it for dinner - uh, NOT tasty...lol), and got some pureed soups - - butternut squash, zesty tomato...so - here's the plan for the next week - I leave for Florida next Thursday (thank goodness I can eat a bit more then!!) - but until then - - - protein shake for breakfast, soup for lunch, and then one of the following "mushy meals" for dinner - - veggie taco meat with a can of fat-free refried beans mixed in, or, flaky fish with steamed (really steamed) veggies that can melt in my mouth, lentil stew (that I can make in the crockpot with veggie crumbles) - - that should do it for the week between all three - then when I get to Florida I should be able to eat a SALAD again!!!!

Sheesh - I'm tired of laser surgeries this week. But 142.5 this morning! Maybe this "forced" diet for the week will throw me into the 130s! :-)

Sheila22
08-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Well, liquid diet - 142 this morning. :-) I didn't run yesterday, but I'm feeling much better today. Kids and I have eye appointments this morning, my hope is that I can run the trail before noon.

I love weekends - sometimes it's hard to choose what to do with the time off - should I clean? Get a pedicure? Just kick back and relax? Hmmm....the kids are at their Dad's this weekend so it's just me - I really did have a rough week this week with two laser surgeries - my gums are feeling a little bit better this morning (at least I didn't wake up to headache and pain) - - working out is DEFINITELY on the YES list today! I also need to put together my elliptical (which is still sitting in the box in my exercise room)....lol

No real food choices this weekend - but I'm officially off of liquids and onto "mushy foods"...lol Think I'm going to start a crockpot of lentil stew for meals over the weekend...

I've been rewarding my weight loss via new clothes shopping. :) Need to stop though - it's getting expensive - and I have this scared feeling in my gut - am I going to gain weight again? Will I still be able to wear these clothes a year from now?? It's a horrible way to think, but nevertheless that doubt demon is in my head. :-/ I know I won't go back to my old ways though - it's totally not worth it - I'm fine with my diet long-term (now that I've successfully re-introduced wine in moderation ;) )...I'm nervous to re-introduce starchy carbs (even healthy whole grains) - but I'll watch it, allow myself one serving a day after I hit my goal and then monitor my weight closely and tweak if necessary. Exercise is also addictive, but it's one thing that I do need to actually make a concerted effort to do - if anything slips it will be that...which is why I really need to get my exercise room all set up before winter. It really is easy just to blow it off - but I just need to keep telling myself that it's my 30 minutes (or hour) - for ME. One hour out of 24 (or even just 30 minutes) - is a small price to pay for looking and feeling great!

Okay - so today - eye appointments, run the trail, and after I think I'm going to go and get a pedicure and manicure. :) The house is clean enough and I can tackle it tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day!

sept2012
08-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Sheila, What is making you think you are going to gain weight back? Oh that is a slippery slope! I know we all have demons, but that one needs to be kicked to the curb. You know how powerful your mind is! Start using the "I AM" mentality when those thoughts occur.... "I am.... healthy, I am... powerful, I am... skinny, I am... less on the scale, and so on an so forth. Don't let the "I might" thoughts win!

This has been an interesting week for me. My body is CRAZY. I saw 268 on the scale one day and now back to 271. And today I am about to hit my 5 mile walk/run which means the scale will be up tomorrow. I always retain water after long treks. I have tried lemon in my water, extra water, water pills and a million other remedies (asparagus, apple cider) none of it helps. I think I need to see my doctor about water retention. You would think that after a trek like that I would be less but that never happens.

Also I feel like I was "outed" at work yesterday. There was a company sponsored lunch for service anniversaries where everyone was praised for the time they have worked with the company. I didn't realize that they would be honoring one year employees (which I am) plus I did not want to eat the food they were serving. So instead I went to the pool and got in my laps at lunch like I always do. I guess when they called me name during the ceremonies one of my co-workers stood up and said "she is swimming - I will accept on her behalf". To her it was funny and sweet. When I found out about it I was a little bummed as I have been trying to keep my workouts and eating plan on the down low. I too hate when people ask me about my diet or exercise or how or why I am doing it. At any rate I guess it piqued a long drawn out conversation with multiple people in the office including the owner of the company. Everyone asked "whats she doing... where is she doing it... how long has she been doing it". When my co-workers answered the questions she also told them "yeah and we are training for a 1/2 marathon too" which sparked more "oh... i would quit after a mile" and "oh thats a lot of exercise" conversations. Part of me is GLAD that I was not there to take part in the conversations. Part of me wishes I coudl see the smirks on their faces. The funny thing is noone really knows me here. Noone knows that I have an athlete on the inside of me. Noone knows that I have worked out my entire life and I used to run 5 miles (with ease) noone knows I have done spin, bikram yoga, bootcamp and a million hikes up and down these crazy mountains. The only person they know is the girl that has been in their office for a year and who sits behind a desk and has been overweight since they met me. Thats the only person they know. So the side of me that wants to show off wishes she could have seen the smirks and raised eyebrows. But I have learned that actions speak louder than words so me being there would not have done any good. I just have to continue on the path that I am on and know that it doesn't matter that they all know. If they start in with questions I will answer them to the best of my ability without giving too much away.

Sheila22
08-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Sept - thanks so much for your words of encouragement! And you are RIGHT!! I do need to start really focusing on my "self talk" and positive affirmations!

I know what you mean about being "outed" - - it was strange for me - I was bummed when no one noticed my 25 pound weight loss - but then when they DID start noticing, I felt this strange "pressure" to make sure I didn't backpedal at all - - it wasn't a good pressure either - - just felt like everyone was watching what I ate, whether or not I have three or four bracelets on, etc....then there are those who say "if you lose more weight you'll be too thin!" - - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? I know what my ideal weight is, how much fat I still have to lose - now I get criticized for losing too much??? Anyway - I've learned to just brush it all off - this is MY LIFE, MY BODY and I'm going to do and lose what feels good for ME! :)

Went to the eye doctor this morning with the kids - and kind of unprofessional, but he was seriously hitting on me! Asked me if I was married - told me he was divorced, asked me if I was dating anyone - - I swear I thought he was going to ask me for a date - but he didn't... LOL Still, it felt really good and was flattering - - I haven't felt "attractive" for a long time, and to feel that again was GREAT! (although I still think it was extremely unprofessional of him).

Then the kids and I went to the sporting goods store - my daughter is playing soccer this year (OUCH - SO EXPENSIVE!) - I treated myself and bought a new running shirt to wear for my 5K race and also a new pair of earbuds for my iPod - I can't wait to try them on the trail tonight! I also got a pedicure (red glitter! :)...so waiting for my toes to dry really well before I put on my running shoes.

Food - still on mush - lol Will have a protein shake before I hit the trail, then maybe some soy yogurt later on this evening for a snack.

Hope everyone has a nice Saturday! It's a beautiful day here - sunny and 80s...

Sheila22
08-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Ran the trail - tomorrow morning I'm going to do it twice straight - it will be my first 5K off of the treadmill!!

syndehat
08-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Happy to report another 4# loss for this week! :carrot: This is especially amazing because we had to go out of town for a family funeral. :( The whole thing threw a wrench in my plans but I had been sick earlier in the week and didn't eat much because of that. So I guess it all evened out. Although I am proud of my accomplishment so far I was still embarresed that people at the funeral were seeing me so heavy. You know the ones, the ones you only see at weddings and funerals. Now they all have that picture of me in their head and will carry that with them until the next wedding or funeral. Which is depressing. My husband did let it slip to my Mom that we are doing WW. I would have preferred to keep that to myself but too late now...:shrug:

I keep promising myself that I need to get busy with the exercise portion of this program but I am less motivated about that. I still walk soooo slowly and am stiff and don't move easily. The extra weight is making it difficult. I am thinking of getting a treadmill off of craigslist so I can walk at home on an even surface and not have anyone see me (like at a gym).

You are all so so inspiring in the exercise dept. I love reading your experiences. Thanks for listening :dizzy:

Sheila22
08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
syndehat - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Well done!! I bought my first treadmill for $200 used - from a newspaper ad - when I first got on it, I only walked 5 minutes a day - JUST WALKING...then I increased the walking to 30 minutes a day, changed my diet and lost 60 pounds - never doing more than walking! :-) I think buying a treadmill off of Craigslist is a great idea! There are too many used ones out there that are "clothes racks" instead of serving their purpose - go rescue one!!!! :-)

Well - I just got back from running the trail - increased my distance and thought for SURE I had run a 5K (3.1 miles) - - then I got in my car, and measured it - only 2.2 miles! :dz: REALLY?!? I was DYING by the time I was done!

I can look at this in one of two ways - either as a failure, or as my PERSONAL BEST which it WAS!!! :D So I'm going to focus on that. I ran it in 22 minutes - I've NEVER ran straight without walking for that long, and a 10 minute mile positions me to do the 5K on September 8th in 30 minutes!!!

I found this FABULOUS running music on iTunes - it's called "Audio Fuel" - it has voiceover coaching by a guy with a really cute British accent - it's really awesome!

I'll see how hot it is this evening, but I may go back and try again tonight. It's only 10am - hmmm....what to do with my Sunday????

Definitely need to put that elliptical together - - I don't know how hard it's going to be (it's still in the box) --- and I know I'm procrastinating because I have ZERO mechanical aptitude. LOL But it's definitely on the "to do" list. That, and the grocery store - I need more mushy food...lol

I don't want to clean, but I will definitely do the first floor today....then I can chip away at the upstairs bedrooms throughout the week.

Now time for Starbucks! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Sheila22
08-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Okay - I've finally been a member long enough to earn a "tracker"! Let's see if it works!!

Sheila22
08-27-2012, 05:11 AM
Good morning everyone! Well, I got on the scale and it was back up to 145 this morning! I'm not worried though - it has to be water retention from a combination of things - my hard run yesterday morning, the salt I put on my lentil stew and maybe even the antibiotics I'm on from my gum surgery....

At any rate, I'm not going to let it bring me down!

It was one of those sleepless nights - I just googled my antibiotic on the internet and one of the side effects of amoxicillin is insomnia! (lovely)...I woke up at 2:30am laid in bed until 4, then decided just to give up trying to go back to sleep. I'm sure I'll hit the wall this afternoon.

It's 5am now - I'm trying to decide if I want to get on the treadmill this morning or hit the trail after work...Thursday is my "day off" from exercise this week (kids and I will fly to Florida for the weekend!)...:D

Today's meal plan - soy yogurt for breakfast, and lentil stew for lunch and dinner (mushy stuff - but very good!)....I'll be so glad to get off of these antibiotics and back onto a normal diet!

Hope everyone has a great day!

onmiwei
08-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I know I am new here and I have barely posted but I wanted to say I am still here. August has been a bad bad month..it tricked me into thinking it was going to be good. On the weight loss side of the month I am doing good. WIth all the bad things that has happened this month I am still eating well..not as good as I should be but not emotional eating either which normally with all of this bad I would be doing. I am still going to the gym just not as much as I had hoped due to the stress just making me feel icky physically.

I did just get back from Water Aerobics and LOVED It...made me feel better physically and emotionally.

Just in case you didn't' see my posts about my bad month my dad fell off a ladder and had to be taken off life support at the beginning of the month...he died a few days later. Then what I have put on here is I get back to work and find out I was restructured out of a job. So fatherless and jobless...all in two weeks time period...This kinda sucks. My job loss I can get over quickly...I had been trying to find a new one anyway and now I have some time to do other things that make me happy..Plus I am going to start going back to school like I had talked about for a year. Just needed that push to say "do it!" and I got that push and sign loud and clear... :D

Down 10 lbs for the month so far...not bad with all this darn stress...

sept2012
08-27-2012, 01:36 PM
omi - woa.... that is a lot of stress to be under in such a short period of time! I am so sorry for your loss. I can not even imagine. I hope you have a good support system to help you through your rought time.

Good job on the other stuff (which I am sure seems secondary right now).

Glad your still around!

JO

syndehat
08-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Onmi - I have been thinking about you and how you were doing after your Dad's death. So sorry you have to go through all that. Now the job thing! :hug:

I say just get all the yucky stuff over in one month so that the coming months can all be good.

Glad to see you are back! :carrot: Post when you can!

onmiwei
08-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Sept-Thank you for your kinds words. Also what an inspiration you are! I loved what you said about work and how people only see you as the overweight person sitting behind the desk not everything you do physically. I have barely had time to read all the posts here and I was sitting here trying to keep my mind on other things so I started reading posts and yours was the first one I came to about the luncheon at work. I don't know why it hit me like it did...perhaps I get some looks when I talk about going for a walk, when I lift something that people think I can't, or when I talk about how I miss hiking back home in the canyon.

Sydnehat-Congrats on the 4#s specially after a family loss...I know first hand that isn't easy to keep to your weight loss journey. I am glad you put down how you felt about seeing family in your current physical state. Makes me glad I am not alone in that struggle...sometimes it feels like I am the only one that feels that way. I know I am not but sometimes my head messes with me. Thank you for sharing :D

Sheila-sorry you are having insomnia. I hope it passes quickly and sleep comes for a visit :D I can't wait until my ticker says 41 lbs down...or 14 more to go. Either is going to be great. I love seeing those tickers!

onmiwei
08-27-2012, 10:32 PM
oh forgot..brain is scattered lately. Thank you Sydnehat for your kinds words as well. I am hoping everything bad is done as well. I won't be sad to see Aug 2012 to leave. Sad thing is it tricked me into thinking it was going to be a GREAT month..my daughter started her SR year of HS and I won an art contest at our art gallery in the photography portion..I beat out many well known photographers in the area so I was so happy...and my dad was so proud..who knew 4 days later Aug would show me what it really had in store for me. OH well..it is over..grieve for my father and onto better things. I have researched all the group classes I can take at the gym. Water aerobics every day...Zumba...pilates...I am glad we joined the gym at the end of July because this will help me not fall into a depression.

sept2012
08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I am glad you are all here. I was thinking about this forum and realizing, today, that one of the main reasons I have failed in the past is because I did not have a support system. People who get it and people who are in the same boat as me. Sometimes I feel like I have a very narrow mind and think I am the only person in the world who has stuggled for so long with my weight. I know now, after being here, that I am not alone.

The other part I was thinking about was I knew for years that I needed to put diet and excercise and willpower all together at once. They are not mutually exlusive but in some times in my life I thought they were. To see all of you and hear your stories and mostly to know that you all get that too is such a relief.

You are all insiprations to me too. When I see Sheila or Sum or Guac talking about their workouts I feel inpired to share in the excitement of a trail run, a bike run, a walk and all of them. Not only does the excercise make me feel better, as far as my body goes, but it also makes my mind more clear. Sometimes I do find myself getting a tiny bit discouraged at how slow this is all going but I know I can always come here and read about someone elses struggle or disappointment or achievement and it feels like it puts me right back on track.

You ladies are all wonderful! Thanks for being here!

onmiwei
08-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm headed to the gym for more water aerobics. I different teacher and a different class. It was a great workout yesterday. When I get back I am going to take my dogs for a walk....I don't know if I will just do around the neighborhood or go to our Greenway. The dogs love them both. Then when my daughter gets home from school I know she will want to go to the gym to walk on the treadmill. She's lost almost 25 lbs since the beginning of July just walking atn elliptical along with eating better. She has a medical condition and the meds have finally sent her hormones straight and the weight is just coming off for her. I am so proud of her. She maybe has 20 more pounds...I told her to get there and see if she feels she needs to lose more. Focus on how she feels rather than what the scale says. One doctor said at this weight last time she needed to lose 50 lbs, he was going on her height not what she actually looked like. Everyone says she would be a skeleton if she lost 50 more pounds. Anyway...she doesn't have as much time to work out with her homework and school and tonight is one night she has time to go to the gym. I know it seems like a lot in one day but I can walk forever...I had to slow down for my husband when we went for a 6.9 mile walk one day, the mister retired military man still working a very labor intensive job that he is ;). I could have kept going too.

Well off to get my swimsuit on...off to the gym! I can already feel it.. :D

guacamole
08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
I have really missed everyone here! I am still knee deep in....kids!! The high schoolers have gone back on Monday, but the rest are still home until Thursday. We will be going to the zoo soon. I am running out of ideas to keep them busy! I got in a 6 mile bike ride this morning - the first in what seems like a long time! Man, I felt out of shape! Huffing and puffing like it was my first ride. It's amazing how quickly I can lose the conditioning I have built up. I hope I get it back just as quickly. I bit the bullet and stepped on the scale today. 152lbs. I actually thought I would be close to 160, so it wasn't as bad as I thought. Once everyone is back in school, I need to get serious again. I don't want to give up on my goals just because I derailed for a few weeks. I've gotten back on the horse again after a brief break and I know I can do it again! Time to hit the RESUME button!

Good luck today, everyone!!

onmiwei
08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Just seeing if my ticker shows up. I went to water aerobics had a blast and then stayed in the water for about 45 more min doing moves from both the classes I have went to this week.

Sheila22
08-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Hello Everyone!

I slept a full 8 hours last night!!! :)

....but was really in a "blah" mood all day today - had a call with Asia this evening, and it was hanging over my head that the day would be a really long one....

....however, between US work ending at 5 and Asia work starting at 7, I came home, changed into my workout gear and went to the trail - ran 2.4 miles in 24 minutes - 10 minute mile again!! :) Amazing how much energy I got from the accomplishment - turned my whole day around. ;)

I wore my old SIZE 4 pants to work today!!! and they weren't plastered on or uncomfortable (uh - they were definitely "stretch" pants...lol) !! WOO HOO!!! In April I was a size 14 - - amazing that I've come this far.....it motivates me to NEVER go back to my old habits!! It's amazing how everything is connected to everything - I feel so much more confident and energetic now. :)

5K on September 8th - - I drove it today - - - one really big hill, but also a lot of down hill....I'm so nervous!! But will be excited to be "officially clocked" and have something "official" to celebrate!!! I know I can do it - - it will be hard though - a 5K is 3.1 miles - and at the end of my 2.4 mile run tonight I was dying - - it was all I could do to get back to the bridge (my "finish line") - - it's funny - I have this "ritual" I run from a bridge to a picnic table 1.2 miles away - - and I "fist pound" (kinda like a "high five") both the bridge and the picnic table when I get to them - - did it the first time, and it's stuck - - people probably think I'm a nut .... lol .... but I don't care --- what am I going to "fist pound" when I'm half way thru the 5K? .... maybe I'll "air pound"....LOL... gotta figure that one out - - now it's like a good luck thing...

....still on mushy food - had soy yogurt for breakfast, then my crustless mushy veggie "pizza" for lunch and dinner - had some "sea snax" this evening after my run to melt in my mouth - - (roasted and seasoned seaweed sheets) - - okay - that sounds disgusting - but honestly....as the package says, they are "strangely addictive"!!!! Like potato chips! I'm NOT KIDDING!!! LOL and only 15 calories!!! too funny - never thought I would in a million years say "I've just finished a 2.4 mile run - I'm famished...need some roasted seaweed sheets".... LOL....wow.

....on the really decadent side though, I also DID enjoy some Chardonnay....but I "earned" it. :)

Time for bed - overall, a good fitness day - don't know what the scale is going to say tomorrow - I'm still on these antibiotics after my gum surgery - - hopefully they feel better in the morning.

Tomorrow's plan - soy yogurt for breakfast, vegan butternut squash soup for lunch and dinner...hmmm...probably lentil stew from Sunday....can't wait to have my salads back!!!!!! I know I need to take a day off from running, but I'm really nervous about this 5K - and Thursday the kids and I fly to Florida to see my Mom - so I'm planning on taking Thursday off....

.....okay - similar to my motivation for vacation in June which when over just plummeted...I'm worried about keeping up the momentum after this 5K is over!!! .... guess I just need to keep finding small "goals"....I'll cross that bridge when it comes...

Hope everyone is having a great week!

-S

sept2012
08-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Yay Sheila! Size 4 PANTS!!!! Thats AMAZING:)

I am 28 pounds away from my first mini goal by sept 29th. I lost 14 in July, 9 so far in August. Hum... 28 is not looking so hot but I will be CLOSE!

onmiwei
08-29-2012, 02:03 PM
YAY!! Sheila for finally getting some sleep too :D I know it is hard when you are sleeping. I have heard of he sea snax and thought about trying something like that.

Good luck with the rest of your training for the 5k. You will do great!

I went to water aerobics this morning. I was going to stay longer but some friends of mine wanted to go to a German deli for an early lunch. I am falling in love with water aerobics. Here I thought my time on the treadmill which is usually an hour, I do the manual setting but I bump up and down the incline to see how far I can go at higher inclines, I increase the speed to a jog sometimes as well I thought that was giving a good workout. I hadn't been sore once on the treadmill. Water aerobics..yeah. I have Tummy muscles and leg muscles.

Sheila22
08-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Onmiwei - awesome about the water aerobics! I've never tried it, but have always wanted to - I hear it's a fantastic workout!!

Sept - 28 pounds may seem like a lot to you, but if you lost 14 pounds in July alone, you can DO IT!!!.... one pound at a time!!!!!! Just think about a 10 pound sack of potatoes - you shed one and a half of those that you don't have to carry around anymore!!! Keep going!!! :)

Kids and I leave today for Florida, so I won't be checking in until next week - I'm really excited - they have an exercise room at the RV park we are staying so I'm going to do 5K a day :) Today is my day off - - will go to work, then come home, change and head to the airport - we won't get to my Mom's until 1am (long evening), but it will be fun.

I ran the trail again last night - consistent 10 minute miles....:)

and FINALLY my gums are feeling better - it must have been something I ate wrong - yesterday I stuck to only liquids and REALLY soft foods - protein shakes, yogurt, and for dinner - a can of fat free refried beans (uh - yep - straight out of the can...LOL) but no pain this morning. :) Thank goodness because I really want to feel good so I can enjoy the visit with Mom! :) They also have a pool in the park - So outside of the treadmill, I'll hopefully get a second workout everyday swimming! Onmiwei, I'm going to try to do some water aerobics - - "cross country skiing" and reverse crunches in the water!

Well - time to get ready for work - early meetings this morning. I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC holiday weekend!!!!

rebelchelle
08-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, I have been reading all you lovely ladies' posts and am really excited about joining this group...my name is Michelle and I am fed up with this heavy weight that I have gained...I started this new WOE this past June and have only lost 8 pounds so far, but I have joined a gym and trying to go at least 4 nights a week after work on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday's.

You all are such an inspiration and seems like we all share the same mental struggles with our weight issues...me and my husband are now officially "empty nesters" as my youngest son left for college...he had been attending our community college the past two years and now has transferred to the University which is about an hour and a half from our home. So, I figured it is time to try and take care of ME for a change.

I am going to the gym after work today and going to ride the stationary bike for 15 min. and then walk on the treadmill for 45 min.

Trying to drink more water.
B: Breakfast Cupcake
L: Left-over rotisserie chicken w/6 asparagus spears
D: We just had a new place open at the end of our street (Jason's Deli)...they have such delicious salads...had their Big Chef Salad one night last week...so, we are planning on picking up our dinner from there tonight...tonight I am going to try their Chicken Club Salad

Snacks: Chocolate Mousse (1/2 cup)
Water: my goal is 5 (18oz.) cups of Great Value Raspberry Ice (my new favorite flavor).

I hope everyone has a great Thursday on plan.

guacamole
08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Trying to get back on track today. The kids went back to school and the house seems so quiet! It's been a very busy summer. I rode 10.5 miles on my bike today with no huffing and puffing! We might join a local gym since my son uses it all the time and we pay a fee every time he goes. It would be much cheaper to get a family membership for all of us (as long as we use it!). I don't like gyms, but two things are prompting me - one is that I really want to get into strength training and don't have room for weights or resistance equipment at home. The other is that as much as I like exercising outdoors, the winter is coming and I am going to have to find alternatives for my cardio exercising on bad weather days. I'll still be on the trails as long as they aren't covered in ice and deep snow!

I am reading everyone's posts and I hope to get back into the swing of individual responses as I have more time!

Sheila22
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Hello Michelle! WELCOME!!! Glad to have you on the chat!!!

Guac - way to go on the bike ride!!!!! I'm with you on preferring the outdoors - (still have to put my elliptical together in my exercise room for the winter)

i am officially DONE with work for the holiday weekend!!! :carrot:

Kids will be here around 5:15-5:30 and we'll head to the airport - again, long night not arriving at my Mom's until 1am - I'm going to find a good book to read on the planes....

Today is my "day off" from exercise and I'm already feeling "blah"! Guess that's a good thing?? I know my body needs to rest once in awhile - tomorrow I'll be on the treadmill in the RV park in Florida! Then I'm sure swimming...it will be nice to be away from home for the weekend...when I'm here I always end up feeling like I need to do something (laundry, dishes, etc..)....this way I have nothing to do but RELAX!

Need to figure out the food plan though - this mushy diet is almost over (with my gums feeling SOOO much better today!)....but I'm going to stay on it over the weekend - just in case. So I'm packing my powdered protein drink and need to go to the grocery store tomorrow morning once we are there to buy "supplies"....

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

sept2012
08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi Michelle - Glad you joined us!!!

Its 1030 on Thursday night and I am sitting here pouring over posts. I think some of the ones I have read lately are really off track and some really off color... hahaah I need to see if I am looking at the 20 somethings chat!

Anyway I posted somewhere else today that I made some non scale victories this month

1. This morning I fit into a new size in my pants. I mean they actually fit well and the butt was not sagging (my old ones were and lord knows we can't have that)

2. I made a commitment to myself that I would work out 27 out of 31 days in August. Well I did 26 days but get this... 7 of those days I did work out 2x per day!

Ha! That just goes to show having goals (even small ones) written out... or if your committed to yourself or someone else it puts that little extra drive in you. I was thinking today that the last time I did any substantial weight loss was about 10 years ago. I went to this clinic every day and got on a scale and let the nurses talk to me about portion control and how those corn chips should not have been in my food journal :). But you know what i managed a great deal of loss in a short period of time and it was all because I was accountable to myself everyday and to the people who were supporting me. That is kind of how I feel here. Accountable to you all. I am realizing how important the accountability is and how serious I am taking it. Of course just like every person out there I want to say F it some days. :0 Sorry if I offend.... but I do. I want to go out to my old eating stomping grounds and have beers (oh sweet baby jesus how I miss beers more than anything) or wings, or freaken queso... darn I want queso. But I am not doing those things. I actually stop now and think before I let those feelings turn into fruition. Part of that process is writing it down here so i again I am so thankful to have found this place... a place full of kindred spirits... a place of accountability!

syndehat
08-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Sept - I hear everything you are saying! It is all about choices now at this point right? I mean, our friends and families will love us fat or thin right? So it is all on us. Our personal choice everyday to do whatever it takes everyday to achieve this goal we have set for ourselves. Accountability is big for me too. I see now how much this is already helping me stay on the "straight and narrow" along to my goal. We can do it!!:dancer:

Michelle - WELCOME! :carrot:

Guac - Glad to have you back. Your wisdom and kind words have been missed :)

I weigh in tomorrow morning. I am hoping to be @ 273 in order to stay on track for my timeline/goals. I found several treadmills on craigslist that seem like a good deal but I need my DH to help pick up and he is hard to tie down and get help with anything on during football season.:mad: I may just join a gym instead. Not sure...

NEMom
08-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Happy Friday's to all the wonderful 40 something women.

You gals are rockin in your weight loss journeys and I am so inspired by each of you.

After taking most of the summer off I decided it was time to really get serious and get back on plan, not just the half hearted attempts I was making. I have had a really good week. Food is on track and have been exercising each morning. I have always counted calories but have used the hand and paper method, I decided to try and app. It is taking me sometime to figure it out. Not sure if I will stick with the app to track food or go back to my tried and true method. Trying to give it a chance.

My son's first FB game is tonight. I am more excited about his games than I am our state's college team. He is starting this year and I am just so excited to see him on the field.

Hope you all have a wonderful, on plan holiday weekend!!!

sept2012
08-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I decided it was time to really get serious and get back on plan, not just the half hearted attempts I was making.

My son's first FB game is tonight. I am more excited about his games than I am our state's college team. He is starting this year and I am just so excited to see him on the field.

Good for you! Welcome back and heres to an awesome next month!

syndehat
08-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Weigh in this morning showed another 2.8# loss so I am pleased with that. :carrot:
Now the big test of my willpower is coming this weekend when we are out of town for a family wedding and the labor day holiday. Hopefully my willpower will stay with me and I can make good choices for myself. We shall see...

Good to see you back NE! Football is a big deal in NE so I can understand your excitement at getting to see your son play. My husband is a high school football referee. I go to most of his games on Friday nights. I love the atmosphere and enjoy watching a good game.

Safe travels to all muy 3FC friends that might be travelling this holiday weekend. :)

guacamole
08-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Hello everyone! Eating was so-so today, however I jogged 2 miles and walked 2 miles. I hope to eventually progress to jogging the entire distance. I'd like to bike one day and jog the next. I used the gym today for weight training. The equipment is really lame. Out of date and no barbells! Just some free weights and machines where you self-adjust the weight level with pegs. They also have resistance bands and balance balls of different sizes. It will have to do, because it was cheap for a family membership and very close to home. It's a start and they certainly have more strength training equipment than I do at home!

Good luck today!

Sum38
08-31-2012, 09:04 PM
I need your input, please? -- I am on 35th day of my cycle and no period. I have been always regular (28-30 day)....could this be a start of my menopause??? I am turning 45 in a few months. -- I feel too young to be missing periods :cry:

Any of you ladies experiencing perimenopause?

syndehat
08-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Sorry Sum but I had a uterine ablasion at 38 and hysterectomy at 43 so I quit having periods early on. Sounds reasonable to me that it might be pre-menapose though.

Are you having any of the other PMS sympotoms? Breast tenderness? Bloat? etc...

I assume you have ruled out being pregnant?? YIKES!:fr:

Sum38
09-01-2012, 08:50 AM
My hubby had the big V done years ago, unless something grew back, no change of being pregnant :yikes: -- Yes I am having horrid PMS, and have been having it over a week now. Breasts are sore, face is breaking out, cramps.... I was reading about peri menopause last night and sometimes one's cycle gets longer.... it is weird to be waiting for my period...lol How ever much I hate having one, but living in anticipation each day just sucks more :lol3:

Hubby thought it would be funny if I was pregnant; one in college and one in diapers...hehe

sept2012
09-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Holy sweet baby jesus I did it... 6 miles... 1 hr & 30 Minute walk run. Wow I feel humbled...

onmiwei
09-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Sept-WAY TO GO!! the small pants, doing so well on your goal for working out the 6 miles!!! What an inspiration!

I didn't get to water aerobics on Friday due to having massive headache. I have issue with my neck and when I storm is close to coming in it gets inflamed and causes massive headaches. I set up in our towns Downtown Market every Sat selling my photography so that is what I did this morning. TOday I stayed away from all the sweets other vendors bring. That is my usual breakfast on a Saturday morning due to how early I have to get up for set up. I brought my own goodies, fruit, hard boiled egg white...that sort of thing.

We should be going to walk on the treadmill later this afternoon...maybe I can talk my daughter into going into the weight room with me. We shall see.

guacamole
09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Started a new thread for September -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/265614-september-2012-chat-40-somethings-hangout.html

Sheila22
09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Hello everyone -

Well, this cold is getting me down - no workout today. Need a day off.

But food wise - black bean soup for lunch, then a veggie taco salad for dinner. That's it. So maybe the silver lining is moving that much closer to my goal. ;)

Anyway - I'm hoping to run tomorrow - but it's a little hard when I can't breathe....:dizzy:

Also hard to focus at work - it's me, a box of kleenex, my contact cold capsules (which make my brain fuzzy) and green tea.

....I'll hopefully check in tomorrow feeling better.

mountain walker
09-05-2012, 05:57 AM
sum38 according to my gynae doc you will tend to menopause when your Mum did. As mine was having periods into her 50's I have a way to go! There are lots of things that can interfere....stress ( about NOT starting a period!) more exercise than usual and just one of life's little mysteries. Your doc would ask you to keep a diary and do some hormone tests to confirm whether the big M is looming!
Good luck!

Sum38
09-05-2012, 07:03 AM
MW; thanks! I think mom went it through mid50's, but she was on hormone therapy. -- Mine finally came, a good week late and then I wondered why I even missed it :lol: