General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #1  

Default Foods to eat to detox the body?

Lately I'm obsessed with the idea of detox. It's just such a tempting idea, eating food that will clean the inside of my body and improve organ function, why wouldn't I? I've googled many different detox foods and I usually get the same old same old (eat your greens, eat fruits, green tea is good for you, etc. etc.) anybody out there that incorporates detox into their diet?

I do take detox pills right now but are they really that effective? Could they be more effective than natural detox?
Chic Fil A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't know about the pills..they usually seem like laxatives, which I guess is ok if you want to clear out anything that may be stuck in there.

I read dandelion greens are good for detoxing the liver and kidneys, but the taste isn't for everyone since they are really bitter... I'm going to be trying them in a green smoothie one day when I'm brave enough
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #3  

Something that contains fibres like Wheat a Bix. They keep you going throughout the day.
vjykmr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #4  

Maybe you should consider a going for a few days on vegetable juice only. Some would go on water and lemon but it is not a good idea. If you look well, you will find some detox diet plans free ebooks on the net
chikittita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #5  

I have used supplement pills that contain herbs and mostly fiber. I'd warn to be careful with those! Even when drinking the recommended amount of water, the extra fiber caused some problems

I also can't see how the 'only drink grapefruit juice for a week' type thing is a good idea. Seems to go against everything I ever learned about how we lose weight and build muscle, yet I see so many people trying that kind of thing.

My family does a only fruits and vegetables cleanse every few months. No fancy pills, nothing crazy. There are enough ways to get protein with only fruits and vegetables. We make guacamole. Instead of chips we use cucumber slices. We make soups with garbanzo (chichi) beans. We cook lots of sweet potatoes. We're not super strict about it but we completely cut out fried stuff, meats, dairy and anything processed for 2 weeks and it makes a huge difference!
Jralla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/147

Height: 5'8"

Milk Thistle is fabulous for detoxing our overworked liver. It also happens to be the most important organ for fat loss. Water and fiber (I use flax seeds and chia seeds) are also super important. You need to be able to eliminate the toxins (released from fat cells during weight loss) effectivley. So LOTS and LOTS of water! I absolutley love Anne Louise Gittlemans work on detox. I would suggest picking up one of her books from the library if you get the chance.
konablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/146/135

Height: 5'6

About the fiber supplement thing. If you take african mango pills they basically do the same thing fiber does but without any harsh effects with taking too much or not drinking enough water. 150 mg should be enough a day, or twice a day in between meals.

As far as foods goes, eat kale, spinach, any green leafy veggies. Lemons, oranges, limes, garlic, green tea, seeds and nuts. Plus omeg 3 oils help a lot for detox.
kadian43 is offline   Reply With Quote