Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #1  

Unhappy Bat Wings

Hi Everyone! You know what I mean, that fat, jiggly part of the underarm. Mine is huge and annoying!!! I added weight training over a month ago, and this is one area where I just don't seem to be making any progress. I work out my arms three times a week, but my bat wings are hanging in there!

I'm finally making the move from the big loose pull over shirts that are the only thing I've been able to wear for years, and I'm finally getting into some shirts that button up the front, but the arms are those are all too tight. I was so excited today to get into some size 20 jeans (when I started I couldn't even get into a size 26), but all the cute shirts I tried on were too tight in the upper arm.

Has anyone found anything that really works? Have I just not been doing the weight training long enough? Any pointers, suggestions, or successes would be helpful.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:07 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I know exactly what you're talking about. I call it "teacher fat." It's the stuff that jiggles when I write on the board. I think our board expert on weights is probably Miss Chris, but I'll take a stab at it.

Part of it might be that you've only been at it for a month. It can take up to twelve weeks sometimes to see drastic results with weights, but DON'T GIVE UP! Once it comes off, it POURS off!
Also, are you working your triceps enough? Maybe some extra triceps work would help tone that area.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:43 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Mother Goose,

I hate those bat wings!!! I too have them and I really want to go sleeveless!

But remember, spot training/reducing never works. So, remember that you're reducing the fat all over your body and building muscles too. That fat will eventually go.

Also, loose skin, especially in the upper arms can be a problem and that's not something that can be corrected with diet or exercise. Now, what I hear is that the body will reabsorb it eventually but I have no experience in this area.

Best of luck!
Old 04-06-2003, 02:39 PM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I've heard it can take a year or two for your body to absorb loose skin. Some folks resort to cosmetic surgery, but that's a big decision. (Besides, most plastic surgeons won't even LOOK at you until you've kept your weight off for a year.)
Old 04-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #5  

A year or two!! Now I'm really depressed! I won't be able to wear short sleeves for years.

I appreciate the support and encouragment though and I will just keep doing what I'm doing, and add more tricep work too.

Thanks for the advice and help!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:12 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I've heard you should massage the area w/skin firming lotion. I wish I could sleep in skin firming lotion.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #7  

If I thought it would work, I would fill my tub with skin firming lotion and just live in there!! I have been using a loofah in the shower every day and then rubbing my entire body with skin firming lotion (not an easy task with this body!). I don't know if it's actually helping my skin to firm up, but my skin is definitely much softer!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #8  

Aaahhhh, A new name for them. Bat wings, love it (the name not the wings), . Around here we affectionately call them "Grandmas second wave"
Old 04-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #9  

Yes, I've just noticed that I have them too! Ack!
Closed Thread