Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

Default How long did it take you to run 5k without stopping?

I was just wondering for those who took up running and have made it to the point of being able to completely run a 5k without stopping to walk how long it took?

I started walking on a trail at the beginning of June and in the past few weeks have transitioned to training to run the 5k trail instead.

I know most training to run programs (like the Couch to 5K) recommend running in increasing intervals with walking periods in between, so I've used that format. When I am running I run fast, I find it harder to keep myself restricted to a jog and I can actually go for a longer duration at my natural faster pace.

I don't do well with too much structure and haven't been tracking my running vs walking times, but I know I'm almost up to running as much as walking and I finish the 5k in 40-45 minutes now so my time is okay.

I was just wondering when I can hope to be able to run the entire 5k? I'm happy with the progress I'm making, just more curious about the timeline I should be anticipating I guess.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

I do think it's easier if you follow some sort of programme, at least it would be for me. Cannot stay motivated otherwise.

Anyway, I followed a nine-week programma, and did some weeks twice, so it took me about three months and I found it really easy. I think you could aim at something like that.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

When I run outside, I aim for finishing in under 40 mins. On the treadmill, I aim for 36 mins. I am 5'8.5" and currently weigh 220 pounds. When I first started running about 1.5 years ago (weight around 300-325), I could do it in about an hour, maybe a pinch less.
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

I did the couch to 5k last fall and got to the point where I could run 20 minutes without stopping. I walked 3-4 miles a day through the winter and began running in the spring. In March, I did my first 5k race, in 40 minutes, with two walk breaks of about a minute in the middle. In May I did my second 5k race and ran the whole thing but had almost exactly the same time (I later found out that I had a stomach virus that day. I think that contributed to being weak). In June, just about 5 weeks later, I ran the whole thing in 32 minutes. Today I ran 5 miles in 58 minutes at another race.

I feel like getting a little bit of a base by walking through the winter set me up for being able to make improvement through the spring and summer.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

In 2004 I did the couch to 5k plan, so 7-8 weeks. Then ran consistently, building up to a marathon in late summer 2006, until fall 2006, when I got pregnant and pretty much stopped running.

Since baby arrived in summer 2007, I've run off and on and have pretty much been able to get up and slowly run/jog 5km even after several months of no running. It's like my body doesn't forget what it's supposed to feel like even when I've been pretty out of shape and overweight.

My dh's method involved asking me how the heck I ran for so long when he couldn't go more than a couple of blocks without getting winded. After I told him to slow down, way down, until he thought he was barely running, he went out and ran 5km straight that night. He was biking a lot at that point though, so he was in decent shape in terms of leg power and aerobic capacity.

Last edited by Only Me; 08-12-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #6  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

I know this is an old thread but wanted to add my experience.

I started the c25k program last November I think. I was more into walking so did the intervals once a week. I am now up to week 8, can run for 30 minutes, not particularly fast, about 4km. I am gradually getting faster so I think I could do 5 km soon in maybe 35minutes. I can walk 5km in 40 minutes so I want to run faster.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote