General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #1  
Viking Barbarian

S/C/G: 298/226/120

Height: 5'8"

Angry Need to vent.

Well I might be losing a lot of weight soon. Since I might not be able to afford food. My job is having major problems with the fact that I have gauges. I started working there in October and they just now told me I have to "fix them". Well, seeing as how that is impossible I have no idea what to do. I can't just let them close like they seem to think. I have 1/2 inch holes from being a ****ing MORON when I was young, leaving me with what I view as a permanent disfigurement. Plastic surgery is needed to close them, which can cost up to 1200 dollars!! I have peach colored retainers I'm going to wear from now on, but they know they exist now so I'm not sure that's going to fix the problem as I am "willingly violating the dress code". I'm sure if i got an injury and half my ear was MISSING I would be fine. I can't just leave them out I'm sure the holes would be a lot worse to look at. I have officially screwed myself. Probably for life. I never expect to have enough money to fix them. **** as of right now I'm legally homeless. Where do they think I'm going to get the money for that? Just...so pissed. Really can't deal with this right now.
TheVikingNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

What happens if you leave them out for a few days?

My husband had pretty big holes in his ears when he joined the Navy. They're mostly closed up now. Mine are only 0g but if I find plugs with diamonds on the end you can't tell. If you can get yours to shrink a bit, you could do the same. It'll be ok!

ETA: I just looked and his were 1", at the biggest. They just look like little slits now. You can barely tell.

Rub coconut oil in the holes before bed, and leave your plugs out. Put bandaids over them at work, if they look too bad. I wear silicone earskins, exclusively, because they're more comfortable. Start gauging back down. It'll be ok!

Last edited by ValRock; 07-30-2012 at 01:41 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Did you have them when you were hired ? They can't fire you know if they were there when they hired you. Did they say anything at the time of hiring ?

Last edited by bargoo; 07-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I've been told if you had any body mod like piercing or tats at the time of hire they can't fire you for it later. I'd call a lawyer (most states have places where you can get free legal advice) and ask what the law is in your state. Its best to know your rights because unfortunately they could get away with firing you illegally of you don't know what you can fight. Seems like flesh toned guages should be enough though if you ask me.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

If she's in a 'right to work' or 'employment-at-will' state... they could fire her for any reason, unfortunately.

Sorry . I worked in HR for too long. Ugh.

http://ctlawhelp.org/when-you-can-be...-from-your-job

Last edited by ValRock; 07-30-2012 at 03:02 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm screen capping the OP so if my kid ever for a moment thinks about body mods I can show him that he'll be living under a bridge in no time. Honestly, with the job market like it is, why would anyone keep someone on staff that doesn't look the part if they don't have to. I manage 15 employees, and as progressive as my views are, (I put myself through college working in a tattoo and piercing shop) I'd not keep someone on staff that didn't look like a professional.

Last edited by ghost; 07-30-2012 at 03:07 PM.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Unfortunately I live in one of those states its really too bad I think that its considered acceptable. My one friend actually got fired because she wasn't skinny enough and she was at a good weight at that point in her life!
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #8  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Can you tell them you are planning on fixing them but can't afford to right now but will in the future. If you truly are going to get them fixed up, make a financial plan to do so (save $10 a month, whatever) and present that to HR.

I think that's pretty reasonable considering they hired you with them way back in October. It's a worth a shot.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

What about buying a pair of plugs that look like button earings. With only a 1/2 inch hole, you should be able to find plugs that are virtually indestinguishable from earings unless inspected from a very unprofessional distance. I've also seen the plugs (in flesh tones, and also in neutral colors like black, and navy) with a tiny hole in the center through which you can insert the post of a larger earing. Even though bigger earings aren't in fashion right now, you should be able to find an earing that covers the plug (and anyone getting close enough to tell the difference, is TOO close for the work environment).

Another possibility is that the company is downsizing and this is just a conveniently invented reason to fire you. If you hide/camouflage the gauge and they still have a problem with it, or if they find a new problem, I'd suspect that they're just looking for a reason because they want to get rid of your position.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #10  
Viking Barbarian

S/C/G: 298/226/120

Height: 5'8"

Well to try to answer in order:
They weren't totally stretched, they were scalpeled. Meaning they were cut to size at one point and stretched from there. And I'm WAY past my breaking point so all elasticity is gone.
I had them when hired, but we had a different boss then. He retired a few months back. One of my conditions of hire was to wear solid plugs.
I am employed at-will.
Your kid won't live under a bridge, just be severely limited as to where he can work. But working at hot topic for life might not be what he wants...
I have over 1500 is bills right now and make 250 or so every two weeks...saving won't quite work.
I dug out my silicone flesh-tones last night. I'm going to try to wear them today and see if its passable.
All of this happened because I applied for a manager position. My theory is they don't want to give me a shot and are looking for a reason to ignore my request. Yet the people wearing 5 earrings in each ear and lip rings are okay??? The rule is one single piercing in each ear, no body piercings. Technically it is once piercing but I'm not going to try to play that card. Honestly I'm just going to wear these flesh tones and not address them at all. Hope for the best. i had time to sleep on it and cool off so I believe that's my best route.
TheVikingNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #11  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I know this probably won't help that much but is it possible for you to style your hair so that it covers your ear lobes, some ringlets hanging down perhaps? Looks like you have long hair, just a thought...
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Definitely look at getting some plugs that either look like earrings or ones that are flesh colored.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #13  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking? I suggest wearing your hair down.

Personally, I have about 30 hours of ink (one poorly placed pepper behind my ear) and several "holes" from facial peircings- mostly a dent from a labret pericing i had in for nearly 10 years, it's been out for a year, and it is visible.

i work in a very professional (must wear a suit) environment.

yes i keep my hair down ALL the time.
yes i ALWAYS wear a cardigan over things, even if it's 100+ outside. but these are the choices you/ i made. your currently place of employment may just be looking for reasons, because in my personal experience if you are GOOD, it doesn't matter what you wear/do/ body mods you have. the skin toned plugs should be good- and wear your hair down.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

For now, wear your hair down. You could have a scarification tattoo of a penis with swear words written all over it if no one could see it, so wouldn't concealing your ears fix that?

In the meantime, get another part time job. It sounds like you need the hours anyway, and judging by the horrible ink I see on many fast-food and retail employees, plugs won't even register.

Being broke sucks a lot. I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #15  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I would say be the best worker you can be, really push it. I'm not saying that you're not but as somebody already said if you're good it won't matter as much.

I worked in a chain store once and there was a strict no facial piercings rule but the managers had a meeting about my face (I had 3 piercings at the time) and decided I was awesome and didn't have to take them out because why should I when I was such a great member of staff.

I know I got lucky though.

Also you know those big earrings that women without stretched ears wear? You could break off the pin bit and glue them onto some plugs, they would cover the fleshy bit from the front anyway. I did this with some earrings I liked but couldn't wear because they're stretched and it was fine, my ears are 20mm.

Good luck anyway and I hope it works out.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote