Diabetes Support - Traveling with Medication

View Full Version : Traveling with Medication

LadyKnight1
07-30-2012, 10:31 AM
I haven't flown in 3+ years. My family and I (DH, DS14, and I) will be flying from Orlando to Albuquerque in September and I am a bit nervous about traveling with snacks and my medications. I do not use insulin, but use a migraine drug which requires syringes. I checked the TSA website and it states they are allowed, and I can request a visual check vs the medication bag traveling through the x-ray machine.

Any suggestions or advice?

fatmad
08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I always make sure I carry my meds in their original prescription containers so that there are not questions. Give a little extra time to get through security so you don't have any problems too.

lattelady
08-07-2012, 05:49 PM
I am a type 2, but do carry various meds with me when I travel. In the
originalcontainers. I also have a medicAlert tag, but in case it gets lost, I have a tattoo on my wrist saying T2 Diabetes.

bethFromDayton
01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
I travel a lot--and never have any trouble with medications. I don't carry them in the original containers. Everyone says to, but it's just not realistic for me. I take too many meds, and I mail order them, so they're all big containers. I just put them in a pill organizer, and bring that in my carry-on.

I've never tried to travel with syringes--for that I might bring a paper prescription or doctor's note, but it shouldn't be a big deal either.

I've even had my carry-on hand searched--and the pill organizer hasn't even been commented on.

diyana
01-09-2013, 04:52 PM
When I've traveled with injectible migraine meds, I carried a note from the doctor written on a prescription pad. Otherwise, I always carry all medicines and vitamins in their original containers.

Hope this helps.

Jonjaxmom
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Last time I flew, I simply put my insulin pen in a clear plastic baggy with my needles and my meter, and was forthright about it and handed it to the TSA guy rather than just putting it on the conveyor belt. He looked at it, and said OK to put in the bin. No issues.