Old 07-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #1  

Unhappy Help With Vitamin Information - Please!

I found the answer to my question online, so I deleted the question part of it. But I will leave the information below in case anybody wants to weigh in - so to speak.

I'll tell you a bit of a scary catch-22. I am about 40 pounds overweight. One thing they tell breast cancer patients, especially estrogen-positive bc patients, is to stay at an ideal weight in order to avoid recurrrences. Well in the medical questions for the IP diet, they say that "theoretically any cancer cells still present could get stimulated by the estrogen released" as one loses fat. So they tell us to lose weight to help prevent recurrences, and then I read that estrogen release from fat loss can stimulate any cells still present.

I need to lose the weight, so that's what I'm going to do.

Last edited by needsomehelpfast; 07-29-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: found answer online
needsomehelpfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm assuming if they tell you to lose weight, then it's safer to lose the weight and maintain ideal weight than it is to remain overweight. Never hurts to double check with the dr.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #3  

Default Doctor's response

I did. This was her response:

Quote:
There is a lot of nonsense in the quote that you sent me from their diet, which always makes me worried However, there is no risk of "estrogen being released from fat" as you lose weight. A diet is a good thing. I usually recommend a low fat, reduced calorie diet as the best way to do this, but A low carb, high protein diet shoudl be fine too. The only exception to that is if they increase protein using a lot of soy protein powder, as we do not know if this is safe in breast cancer survivors. A little soy is fine, but I do not know about super high doses
Old 07-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/150/147

Height: 5'2"

What your doctor said is my only comment. Soy products can perhaps cause a problem with estrogen stimulation. There are a lot of soy free foods on this diet. I am allergic to soy, and am just eating the items that are soy free. It seems like a good way to go. Whey protein is fine.
Good luck!
dizzyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I'm assuming if they tell you to lose weight, then it's safer to lose the weight and maintain ideal weight than it is to remain overweight. Never hurts to double check with the dr.

There is actually more to it than that in cases of wpmen who had breast cancer.

It is doable if you do as Dizzyjean suggested and choose soy free products. It will cut down on choice but safer.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyjean View Post
What your doctor said is my only comment. Soy products can perhaps cause a problem with estrogen stimulation. There are a lot of soy free foods on this diet. I am allergic to soy, and am just eating the items that are soy free. It seems like a good way to go. Whey protein is fine.
Good luck!
Dizzyjean, are you saying that you are actually on the Ideal Protein diet? Would you mind telling me which products are soy free? I would love to go on the diet but don't know which foods are soy free ones. I don't mind cutting down on the numbers of things I can have. I know I can buy the food on eBay. When I looked at the lists that someone had posted I think the only things I found without soy were a few shakes. Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

(I ordered a lot of whey protein without soy so that I could make the shakes myself, so I'm good to go with shakes. It's everything else!)