Dieting with Obstacles - My family has a history of heart problems and diabetes, what food should I eat/avoid?

Chic Fil A
07-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi! As the title says, my family has a history of heart problems and diabetes. My grandfather passed away from a heart attack when my dad was in middle school, and my dad also has diabetes.

I am very lousy when it comes to dieting (I blame my fast metabolism there was never any need to diet) but now that I'm getting older I'm starting to realize that I should watch what I eat. Especially because of my family's medical history.

I know the basics such as avoiding junk food, eating my vegetables and whatnot, but are there any other foods that I should avoid or try to eat more of?

I myself don't have diabetes but I would still like to start eating a diet that would help me prevent myself from developing diabetes. Any suggestions?

froggydawgy
07-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Ask your doctor for a fasting blood test and that way you will have a better idea.
For diabetics a carb is a carb is a carb (so sayeth my nutritionist) but, for me, vegetable/fruit based ones (except white potatoes) are better than any grain based carb. I stay away from all grains as much as possible.
Look up the glycemic index. Stay away from the high ones, concentrate on the low ones.

bargoo
07-28-2012, 12:27 PM
For heart problems, avoid salt as much as you can.

Chic Fil A
07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks so much for exposing me to the glycemic index! What a nifty tool I'll definitely be using this more often. But the thought of being unable to eat grains as much as I would like is sort of depressing haha :(

froggydawgy
07-30-2012, 01:46 PM
For me, cutting out grains, has made things sooo much easier. There has been a chocolate cake sitting on the counter that DH and Daughter have been working thru for 2 weeks(!!) and it doesn't even call to me - which is really, really, really amazing.
I read the Wheat Belly book and read the http://www.wheatbellyblog.com
and it all makes sense for me.

Mer du Japon
08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
I suggest seeing a nutritionist, they can work with you to create an eating plan that adresses your needs and concerns.

In the meantime...avoiding salt, sugar, and deep fried foods seems like a good start. Research the benefits of different fruits and veggies, eat a lot of fiber, and drink lots of water. Exercise, I hear, is good for diabetes prevention,

kelly315
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I also have those things in my family. I avoid eating too much sugar, and take fish oil everyday for my heart (usually 2000 milligrams: two triple strength gel tabs). In general, it's best to avoid cholesterol (fatty foods, red meats) and non-natural sugars.