Exercise! - Lost 145lbs added in gym and gaining?

starbrite
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi
I lost 145lbs in 14 months doing an adapted version of the Dukan diet. I did not exercise throughout and had regular and consistent weight loss. I then spent a year maintaining, but gradually added on 9lbs.
I now have access to a gym and as I am on vacation have been every day for 7 days. I appear to be gaining weight, not losing ! Could this be water weight? My muscles are quite sore, and of course I am in Florida so temperature could be a factor? Just wondered whether anyone else has gained at the beginning of exercising.

ValRock
07-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes, your muscles are probably retaining fluid. You're not gaining fat, unless you're eating in a calorie surplus :).

KatieBug
07-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Yep!! It sounds like water weight to me! Sometimes when people start working out hard they will see that initial gain, and then your weight will creep back down again. Dont worry :)

CanadianMomma
07-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I went through this in a mini version last week. I had lost 15 lbs in a month and a half then I started getting serious about running and we had the most humid weather of the summer hit. I saw the scale bounce back up to 170 from 164ish. Once the weather cooled down and my muscles adjusted the scale is back down plus -5 lb to 160ish today. Just ignore the number on the scale for awhile.

starbrite
07-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the replies. It makes sense to me that it is water. I have tried to stay sane with food whilst here, but know I'm taking on more sodium than usual. I am keeping at it. :)

starbrite
08-05-2012, 09:06 AM
:mad: Arghhhh up another two pounds! I am truly flummoxed. Have been playing an hour of tennis, working with weights and swimming. Not to mention the marathon walks around the mall :D I am aware I have been eating differently- mainly because my mainstays are not the same and I am on holiday so we have been to more restaurants etc, but I have not eaten enough to counteract the exercise and to put on so much. Confused to say the least, but one thing this journey has taught me is to never give up - even when the going gets tough!

ValRock
08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Keep reminding yourself that increased activity = water retention. Don't step on the scale again until you've been off vacation for a week, for your own sanity!

starbrite
08-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks Valrock - I think that could be some excellent advice !