Old 07-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #1  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

Thumbs down I am so discouraged and disappointed...

and I probably shouldn't be, but I am. I had my first weigh in today and I only lost .6 of a pound! I have been on IP for only 5 days and have not cheated once and I am drinking a gallon of water everyday since I started. I gave up my diet soda etc. I am disappointed because I am reading where a lot of people lose 5 or 8 pounds or more!!! I also found out that my coach weighed me on the tanita (that measures fat) on the first day and I guess she wasn't supposed to, so actually, I weighed more than I thought and lost so much less than I would have expected. I am trying to stay positive but to be honest I am crushed. The new coach I had even measured me differently than the first lady did, so my measurements were off too... Can anyone tell me if they lost so little for their first weigh in and yet continued to drop weight within reason??
I was so upset when I got home I had horrible urges to eat crap and I ended up eating a bar but they raise my blood sugars since I am diabetic. Right now I don't know if I can continue, I guess its just because i'm tired, I should feel better in the morning. I appreciate any help or advice...
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218.6/150.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Please give it some time!! I know how hard it is the first few weeks. It feels like your whole life is consumed with IP, and you just want to see results. You will!! I did well my first week, but not too well my second, and I felt like giving up. Giving up is not an option!! IP works, but everyone is different. Try to stay positive.
sanibelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #3  
Adult Member

S/C/G: 196/184/160

Height: 5'3

My first week I lost 3.5 lbs, but then NOTHING the second week ... however, I did lose inches. Sometimes I think our bodies retain water, especially around the TOM. I also think that some people with the really big losses had more to lose?? I am steady at 1.5 - 2.00 lbs per week - much slower than others, and if it is close to TOM, I never lose at all on the scale, but again, I do in inches. I have also noticed that I can fluctuate 3 lbs in a day!! So maybe you really did lose more, it just didn't reflect at the time of your weigh in. I finally learned to watch the inches and not lbs, AND I have to remember not to compare my personal loss with others who have HUGE losses! Hang in there, even what appears to be a small loss is STILL a loss!!

Feel better :O))

Last edited by Aussieluver; 07-28-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Aussieluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #4  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

Only been 5 days. I think you are getting worked up over nothing...I mean you just started. Could be water retention from last nights dinner...could be waste in your bowel and you have not gone to the bathroom yet prior to weighing...just too many possibilities.

You need to stay the course for at least 3-4 weeks and then look at your "average"...then if you don't like the diet, leave it and do another. But not after only 5 days! You just barley got into ketosis!
Cheers
Jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #5  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Hang in there! I understand you feeling the way you do,and I feel bad for you. But, this program really does work. Each person's journey on it is unique. As mammoth said, give it at least a month at 100% OP before deciding how to proceed. Keep in mind that stress slows down the loss, so try to 'shake it off' and know you're improving your health. (yeah, easier said than done)

Also, don't hesitate to say something to the coaches when they measure about measuring in the same place each time! I have to do that for my waist measurement because they originally measured me slightly higher than my navel, but since then they want to measure me at my navel. I've also caught some mistakes in their addition when they add up total losses (I have a copy of the log sheet and update it as they update their copy.)

It will get better! ((HUGS)
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #6  
Started IP 4/13/2012

Height: 5'4"

I understand your frustrations...but it is way too soon to decide this isn't the weight loss plan for you. Everybody loses weight and inches differently and weight fluctuations during the day are common and pretty crazy on this plan. I have always been 100% OP and usually lose between 1-2 pounds a week, although this week I lost 3 pounds eating/doing absolutely nothing differently. Go figure. When I first started this program I had to remind myself that I needed to look at my average weight loss over a month's time and not obsess over one week's loss. Also, remember that not everyone on IP is posting on this site, so you don't really know that everybody on this plan is losing tons of weight right away. It makes my MD much happier that I am losing at this rate even though I'd personally love to drop 4-6 pounds a week.
Be patient with yourself and the program and take Jake's advice...give it a month before you make a decision. Be sure you are getting your salt/oil in and drink some more water. Sometimes adding things like MIO to your water or eating "restricted" snacks can cause people's weight loss to slow. Do measure/weigh everything you eat for a while. Don't measure/weigh yourself everyday, it can make you crazy. Go into the Daily Chat or 100% Chat for more support and information. This is a great forum with a community of people who just want the best for each other. We'll get you through this if you let us. Best wishes!
justbecause53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #7  
Holding on TIGHT

I appreciate all of the wisdom that you have shared with me! I am committed to stay on it at least a month, very good advice... lol, Jake, my dh was telling me the same things. I expect to lose weight, I think IP is all I have left. I've tried other diets and this one makes the most sense to me. That's why I have such high expectations... I certainly feel much better this morning...what a difference a little sleep makes!!! Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/230/160

Height: 5'4

As everyone else has mentioned, be patient and the weight will come off. As far as being measured, well I don't pay attention to it, because there is no way that tape measure is going to be put in the exact same place every week. Take some clothes that fit snuggly and put them on every week. I guarantee you, if you follow IP 100%, those clothes will continually get looser...that's a good enough measurement for me.
yowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #9  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Ok... i am the queen of quitting..and let me tell you.. even though you feel like quitting..you shouldnt..it does work

A few thoughts: Are you on the diabetic plan? Or are you on the regular protocol? If you are on the diabetic plan, you dont go into ketosis...People who go into ketosis have big losses in there first week because they are ridding there body of water..hence the 8-9 pound losses due to a reduction in carbs... If you are on the diabetic plan...you WILL NOT lose at the same rate..Its a different protocol altogether...You will eat things that we do not in phase 1..but because its different..it means that weight loss can be slower..but remember " its not water weight that counts, its fat loss" So you might have only lost .1 ...but thats fat...thats not all water...and if you have only been OP for five days...then you havent allowed for your body to adjust to the diet and work at effectively losing. They say it takes a good month for anyone to really get into losing fat..It doesnt happen over night...Just keep these things in mind.

Now... a few thoughts:

1) Sometimes the most spiritual thing a man can do, is sleep(oswald chambers)...In other words..SLEEP!!! REST... if your tired...get some sleep..cause sleep helps the process!

2) Your on day 5..which by the way..is just over the hump of the worst week you will have...people..especially women, tend to get emotional on this diet...it can play around with hormones and its a chance for your body as well...so you can feel emotional...Allow yourself to feel the emotions..but do not consume them with food..it wont help. Good for you for having a bar...but watch your blood sugar.

3) If im correct, you mentioned that you have Lyme Disease??? Cause if so..that will cause slower losses because your body is obviously dealing with illness...Anyone who is sick, or has an infection, virus, disease...what not...will tend to lose slower because your body has to work that much harder...

The point: Dont beat yourself up, dont feel discouraged..You are doing Great!! Just keep going!! I promise you will see results if you stick with this!!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #10  
Started IP 7/5/12

S/C/G: 186.7/172.6/150

Height: 5'7.5

My first week on IP was hard and day 2 was the worse. I had several intense headaches due to low blood pressure.

Having said that my first weigh in I only lost 1.6 pounds. I too was discouraged because most people seem to lose a large amount of weight the first week. I found out that my salt intake was to high because I was doing too many of the recommended 1/4 tsp salt/8oz water solutions to combat the headaches. My second WI I saw a 5.8 pound loss and of course suspect that was mostly water weight.

Like everyone has mentioned here I'm in it for the long haul, because the weight does come off. I remind myself that this is my weight loss journey and it is going to look different from everyone else. The plan makes sense and I feel like it's the best plan for me.

Good luck on your journey!
BRfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #11  
Holding on TIGHT

I do appreciate the feedback. On a good note, today I went out with dh, mostly gone all day and my blood sugar didn't crash! All I had was my drink in the a.m and one in the afternoon! My blood sugar is great also, it had been high the past few days...I'm feeling good and i've got lots of energy!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 205/145/145

Height: 5'6.5

Default Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
and I probably shouldn't be, but I am. I had my first weigh in today and I only lost .6 of a pound! I have been on IP for only 5 days and have not cheated once and I am drinking a gallon of water everyday since I started. I gave up my diet soda etc. I am disappointed because I am reading where a lot of people lose 5 or 8 pounds or more!!! I also found out that my coach weighed me on the tanita (that measures fat) on the first day and I guess she wasn't supposed to, so actually, I weighed more than I thought and lost so much less than I would have expected. I am trying to stay positive but to be honest I am crushed. The new coach I had even measured me differently than the first lady did, so my measurements were off too... Can anyone tell me if they lost so little for their first weigh in and yet continued to drop weight within reason??
I was so upset when I got home I had horrible urges to eat crap and I ended up eating a bar but they raise my blood sugars since I am diabetic. Right now I don't know if I can continue, I guess its just because i'm tired, I should feel better in the morning. I appreciate any help or advice...
I know exactly how you feel! I will have been OP for 1 month come this Wednesday and I can assure you that it will come. I generally have been losing 2 - 3 pounds per week and when I look at others that have lost 5, 7 and 12 pounds in a week I have felt inadequate and frustrated! You just really have to focus on the fact that this is a process and we will all go through it differently - some will be weekly bigger losers and some of us will be slow and steady losers, but we are LOSERS just the same. Try to be patient - it will come.
niks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm not an IPer, but I understand the expectation of the big woosh your first week. But you need to know that not having the woosh is not indicative of whether or not you will be successful. I usually lose anywhere from 4 to 10 pounds my first week of changing my habits. But week one of my most successful weight loss attempt to date (70 lbs), I lost 0.5 lbs... then I gained on week two. Don't let a slow start get you down!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #14  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

You don't think is probably because you were drinking too much water? I'd think a gallon of water per day is a lot water intake.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #15  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
I agree with everyone else, that its far too soon to claim failure, and yes it is true that everyone reacts differently to the diet. I do however find this very surprising if you were on the plan 100%. I know the first week was very hard for me, and maybe you were adding just the odd thing here or there that seemed like you were on plan, but it was enough to keep you out of ketosis?

Give us a breakdown of your meals, and everything you ate during the day of a typical day. Much easier to give you some advice based on what you actually consumed. I honestly have never heard of a near zero loss in the first week.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote