PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #1  

Default Finally Losing Weight with PCOS!

For those of you who are frustrated with trying to lose weight and having a hard time because of PCOS, I would like to share my story.

I worked out at the YMCA 3-4 days a week for a year and lost a grand total of 20 pounds. I felt good and excersise kept my insulin levels in normal range but it was very frustrating to work so hard to see such little results.

My doctor then suggested that I try "Curves" which is a franchised boutique health club for women only. They have them all over the US and Canada. I have been working out at Curves (only 30 minutes, 3 times a week) for one month and have already lost 8 1/2 inches! I did not change my diet at all. I find the environment at Curves to be supportive, fun and comfortable because the women, including the trainers are alot like me. Many of the women there are 200 plus pounds and have never excersised a day in their lives. We all support and encourage each other to keep coming every week.

So, if you're thinking about it trying excersise as part of your treatment plan and are afraid or don't know where to go, check it out.

BTW, I don't work for Curves or anything. I am just pleased with my results and wanted to share. Here is their website addy

http://www.curvesinternational.com/
Old 04-05-2003, 05:31 PM   #2  

Congratulations Electrawoman!!

I am just curious what the exercise difference is? What were you doing at the Y that you don't at Curves? Or vice versa?

Sounds like a great program and I will have to look into it more. :-)

With smiles,
Rebecca
Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #3  

Thats great! Thanks for the heads up! I keep meaning to check out the new one that opened near me. Guess I will do that! I hope its not expensive!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:57 PM   #4  

Default Congrats!

Good for you!

How much does Curves charge annually? Is there any additional monthly payment as well?

I think there is one nearby were I'm moving to.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2003, 04:09 PM   #5  

WTG!!!!
Old 04-13-2003, 01:03 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

Electrawoman, that is great! I have a question about your workout. I had heard it was one round, with 3 minutes at each station. Recently, somebody else told me that her local Curves did 3 rounds, with 30-second stations, with repetitions as fast as they could...that doesn't sound very safe for the muscles. How do they do it at yours?
Old 04-17-2003, 10:39 AM   #7  

I will try and answer all of your qxs here.

For Wifty (Rebecca): at the YMCA, I went in 3-4 (or more) times per week and did 30 mins cardio on the tradmill, and twice around a traditional weight circuit. I also swam 1-2 miles every two days in the summertime and occassionally took a yoga class.

Now, here's what I do at Curves:

The Curves circuit is set up in a circle. There are 8-10 machines alternating with "recovery stations". They play music at 140 bmp, which gets you moving. You spend 30 seconds at each machine/station and go around the circle 3 times. You end your session with some flexibility excercises and rehydration at the water cooler. You get a workout that is equivalent to 1 1/2 hours in only 30 minutes. A conservative estimate says that you burn 500 calories per session.

It is recommended that you only go three times a week but it is not harmful to go more often if you want to. However, it is important that you give yourself time to rest to give your muscles a chance to build new tissue.

Speaking of muscle, Curves is not a place to gain significant muscle mass. The workout will help you lose weight and give you muscle tone. If you want significant muscles, my trainer says you can increase your workout but I have heard other trainers discourage this. Most women don't want big muscles anyway.

The program incorporates cardio/aroebic excersise and strength training plus flexibility.

The machines are not traditional weight machines. They are low-impact hydraulic resistance machines. They are actually gentler on your body than traditional weights. The difference is that you do the reps fast, instead of slow. I was leary of this at first, having come from the traditional gym where you are taught to do each rep slowly and carefully.

On hyrdraulic resistance, the faster you go, the more resistance you create. There are no weights to adjust, either. And it is really hard to do more than you can and therefore injure yourself. I experience a very smooth workout and very little or no pain afterwards. In fact, the only time I have had any pain was when I overdid it on the recovery stations (more on that in a minute) When I was going to the YMCA I was ultra careful to protect against injuries yet I experienced more pain and discomfort than I do at Curves.

Basically, you start on a machine and do the reps---as many as you can in 30 seconds, then a voiceover tells you to move to the next station which is a recovery station. This is where you let your body recuperate for 30 seconds. You should move around a little bit on the recovery station, but you are not supposed to be doing anything strenuous there. Sometimes, I just wiggle or dance or do some flexibility excersises. The only reason to move at all on recovery stations is to keep your heartrate up.

Speaking of heartrate, you do heartrate checks 3 times per session. The voiceover tells you exactly when and how to do it, plus a trainer should be standing by to make sure you are not doing too much or too little.

Talking with other members/trainers while on the circuit is encouraged. Not only can you form bonds and motivate each other, but it lets you know how hard you are working (if you can't talk, you're heartrate is too high). Some centers even play games as you go around the circle which makes it go super fast. They also give incentives and prizes for reaching goals, etc.

There is a diet program (low carb) available (they give you a book with details) but no one will force you to follow that plan if you aren't into it. They also offer vitamins and supplements if you need them (but no one tries to "Sell" you anything). I hear that some Curves even have juicebars and other fun things.

You get weighed and measured once a month. They also measure your BMI so you can't help but see your results.

The cost for me to go is 29.00 a month (I paid 41/mo at the Y). My employer paid for a year up front (Tip: check and see if your employer offers this benefit--many companies offer it but don't advertise it) Each center is different but I hear the cost is generally in that range. There is a joining fee, but they often run specials to waive that fee. I have never heard of a Curves that won't let you try it free for a week, either.

Well, I hope that helps. I am getting measured again in 10 days so I will let you know how that goes!

Oh and here's another link to the Curves message group:

http://groups.msn.com/CurvesCommunity/
Old 04-20-2003, 12:33 PM   #8  

Thanks Electra!!

It sounds like a fun and interesting program. I checked, and there is one in my little town, so maybe I will go check it out. :-)

I would be interested in what your next weigh-in reveals but loss of poundage is not the main goal. the main goal is health and fitness (just letting you know that I know whats important! lol).

good luck and I am so glad you found something that works for you. :-)

Wifty aka Rebecca
Old 04-23-2003, 12:51 AM   #9  

Wifty -

Are you the same Wifty from the spouses forum on SDN? LOL, if you are, what a small cyber-world!!
Old 06-02-2003, 11:47 PM   #10  

Post Please update...

Electrawoman,

How's is Curves going for you? Are you still happy w/the program, getting results?

Looking forward to the update,
NJCyster
Old 06-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #11  

yes, I am still going . I missed a couple of days last week because I hurt my ankle when I accidentally bonked it on the side of one of the machines while getting on it (just clumsiness-not a bad machine)

I was a little preturbed to see that I had gained weight this month but that is pretty normal when gaining muscle. I feel good and my body fat percentage keeps going down. I can see the difference regardless of what the scale says.

I also noticed this weekend while doing yardwork that certain tasks were MUCH easier for me to do than they were last year (even while working out at the YMCA).

I also changed locations to a Curves with a more-involved staff. They are a lot of fun and I enjoy being there.

Thanks for asking!
Old 06-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #12  

Thank you so much for the information on Curves. I e-mailed at least two of them asking for information on how their system worked, and for information on their fees. None of them had the curtesy to even respond. I'm too shy to walk in without being prepared. Thanks again.

Last edited by loves2read; 06-20-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:03 PM   #13  

Default Love 2 Read's post

Well, that's pretty crummy of them not to respond to your email. But in their defense, I know a lot of the Curves locations don't even have computers onsite. So, the owner might have an email address but rarely check it. You know how that is. You can always call. And don't be shy. You'll see when you get there how everyone is supportive and nonjudgmental. The other members want you to succeed. I am really glad when I see someone meeting their goals. It reminds me that I am on the right track.

And your posts reminds me that I have to get back there. I missed ALL of last week and ate like a pig because my boyfriend and I had an argument and all of my energy was spent obsessing about it.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:31 PM   #14  

I am really considering joining my local Curves but I am really shy and quiet at first. After I get used to something I wont shut up. Can someone tell me what the first day is like? What kind of equipment training do you get? Thanks... Yeah, I know.. I worry to much.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:38 PM   #15  

I am really considering joining my local Curves but I am really shy and quiet at first. After I get used to something I wont shut up. Can someone tell me what the first day is like? What kind of equipment training do you get? Thanks... Yeah, I know.. I worry to much.
Closed Thread