General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #1  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

Default Question for Bodymedia/Bodybugg Users

I'm curious about how many calories people who use either of these tools are showing to be burning while sitting around? I just got my Bodymedia Fit Core two days ago, and I'm amazed at how little I seem to burn, compared to what most calorie calculators say I should. I have a desk job, and throughout the day I don't even burn 2cal a minute! (usually 1.6 ~ 1.8)

I make up for it by exercising, but still. It's been a major eye opener, and now I'm seeing why I've pretty much only been maintaining all this time.

Last edited by LaceyCen; 08-02-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Spelling~
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

That sounds about right. On my work days, I can easily burn up to 2500 calories, and more if I exercise. My burn ranges from 1.6 to up to 4 cal/min, since I walk around and I'm on my feet a lot. On my off days, it takes considerably more work to make sure I get in a decent burn. I might burn as little as 1500 calories in a day, and like you, not even 2cal/min.

It was an eye opener for me too! That, and how many calories I was eating, even though I was trying to stick with healthy foods! I was also really shocked at how much good the little things can do, like taking the stairs, parking in the furthest parking spot, or taking the longer of two routes to a certain location!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #3  

I don't have a BB, but I assumed that I am only burning about 65 calories an hour based on info. that I researched about that some time ago on the Internet. I never assumed that I was burning even 2 calories a minute.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #4  

Default Hi from BodyMedia

Hi Lacey,

Yes! Many people do have the same “eye opening” experience you’re having! Because the BodyMedia FIT device takes into account a lot of different real-time metrics all at once, you may get a very different picture of your burn than you do from other devices that only take into account one metric (BodyMedia uses 4 sensors, not just one like other devices on the market – again, we’re most accurate) or just estimate an average based on your weight and height. But now that you have had your device from more than a few days, you may have noticed that your BodyMedia device has adjusted its read. It should learn from you over time, and the longer you wear it, the more accurate it will become!

Hope this helps, and keep up the great work!

-Nic ([email protected])
BodyMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #5  

I've been using a bodymedia thing for 18 months now (in conjunction with Jenny Craig, but that's not relevant here).

I log every bite of food that goes in and wear the device every day all day (except when in the shower and the one time I went to a fancy dinner )

In tracking what I've lost it is an extremely accurate device. Now that I've lost almost 90 lbs my "rest days" - where I just work at my desk (I work at home) and don't work out I burn for the whole day a skosh under 2000 calories...

I've also never adjusted it's measurement of moderate/vigorous activity, which some people object to (they think they are burning more calories than the device will say).

That's a long way of saying the thing is very accurate, especially over time.
eliza422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Is it possible to RENT a body media from some source? I don't want to wear an arm band everyday, but would like to do it for a week or so to see what my body typically burns!
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #7  
In the TARDIS

S/C/G: 368/ticker/168

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyMedia View Post
Hi Lacey,

Yes! Many people do have the same “eye opening” experience you’re having! Because the BodyMedia FIT device takes into account a lot of different real-time metrics all at once, you may get a very different picture of your burn than you do from other devices that only take into account one metric (BodyMedia uses 4 sensors, not just one like other devices on the market – again, we’re most accurate) or just estimate an average based on your weight and height. But now that you have had your device from more than a few days, you may have noticed that your BodyMedia device has adjusted its read. It should learn from you over time, and the longer you wear it, the more accurate it will become!

Hope this helps, and keep up the great work!

-Nic ([email protected])

Okay, was honestly not expecting BodyMedia themselves to respond to my post!

Thanks, everyone, for confirming that I wasn't the only one surprised at their burn rate! I do believe that my BMF Core is accurate, and I'm enjoying it to the max. I've got extra armbands on order so I can switch them out after a workout. (wish there were some cuter options)
LaceyCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

The lowest daily burn I've hit (from a day sitting or laying around, being sick) was around 2400. When I owned one at a lighter weight (around 230s), I would hit 2,200 if I laid around.

That seems to be around the same as you experience- about1.6cals/minute when I'm totally sedentary.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote