General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Got a filling 7 hours ago, have sharp waves of pain now

So I got this filling, it was pretty deep and now my tooth is experiencing waves of pain that give me goose bumps it hurts so much.

Is this normal? Should I give it more time. I ate a little food but nothing major...what should I do?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #2  

it should not really hurt now. Perhaps give the dentist a ring and ask about it?
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

when did the anesthesia wear off? or whatever they call the numbing shots....i always hurt after that wears off...if i were you, i would take some painkillers, even mild ones like tylenol or more intense ones as needed, and give it some time...perhaps ice your face on that side...

however i'm not a medical professional and i dont know if you have gotten fillings before or not...have you reacted like this before? ...i would say if you start running a fever or the pain gets unbearable, to seek medical help
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #4  

I had a root canal in February, along with several deep filling elsewhere and my teeth hurt for a while afterwards. I had MAJOR cold sensitivity for over 2 months (so bad I had to drink with a straw). The tooth with the root canal didn't hurt at all, but the deep fillings sure did!

If the filling is 'high' (as in deep), sometimes it can take a little while for it to settle down and that's perfectly normal (what my oral surgeon told me) especially if it's a tooth-coloured filling (composite filling, not a metal one).

Last edited by Rainbowgirl; 07-27-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Clove oil is a traditional remedy you could try - put a few drops on a gauze pad and tuck it between your sore tooth and cheek. I've also had very good results with holding a shot of whiskey in my mouth for as long as I can stand it. Both have antiseptic properties along with reducing nerve sensitivity.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

It passed after about 20 more minutes. Today it feels like a normal tooth.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Glad to hear that, tooth pain is no fun. My hubby is in the midst of a lot of dental work.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Sometimes the nerves can be a bit hypersensitive, or in my case the injection sites for the anesthetic can actually be really sore, moreso than the tooth, itself!

Glad it seems to have gone away on its own, though.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote