Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default :c Losing weight without working out?

I never thought I'd be asking this, but is it possible to lose a decent amount of weight based on diet alone?

So far I've lost a good chunk of weight by changing my diet and also working out every day, however pretty soon I'll be working from 5am-1pm and then going to school from 3pm-8pm then taking a 2 hour commute home, and by the time I get home I'll have to go to bed to wake up at 5 again! I'm terrified that I might not be able to work out more than two times a week, the two days I have off.

I understand the basic calories in has to be less than calories burned.
I'm just worried because I'm eating 1400-1600 calories a day, I dunno how many more I could really cut...I'd still like to lose at least a pound a week :/

I could probably go back down to 1200, that's what I was eating before I started working out more.

Anyone have any advice at all?! :C
Or reassurance?
Or a reality check?
Or anything?
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #2  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

I'd say it depends on the person. I can lose weight by dieting, but it occurs very slowly. However, when I begin to exercise, the weight falls off like crazy.

I personally often have to exercise to see any significant losses or to lose at the rate that I like.

I know people who are the opposite though, where they can exercise all they want, but its the diet that counts. Changing or upping their physical activity makes little difference.

I would take it as it goes for now. I also work a 5-1 shift sometimes, which causes me to not want to work out, but I usually force myself to. If I know I can't work out, I just curb the calories or I don't reach my max points for the day (WW is what I'm currently on, not CC). You could try just cutting the cal's to make up for your lack of exercise, and see how you work. However, since you're going to be awake so much, you might find that you're hungrier. Maybe try small meals?

Also, maybe you could try to maintain/lose a at first, so that you can get a grip on your schedule. Then, try to reduce from there to see what you can lose. Play with it and see what works for you!

Last edited by m3k; 07-25-2012 at 04:49 PM.
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Weightloss for me is purely diet. I workout because it motivates me to eat better, helps me maintain my loss, gives me energy, and makes me look good naked. Exercise definitely has a place in my life.

That said, it's about the diet for me. I won't lose an ounce if I'm not watching what I eat.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #4  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I never really "work out", I go cyling or walking and do other active things which I love but I live it rains a lot and that means that I'm not doing these things every day. For a good chunk of my weight loss I was barely doing any exercise as I was taking some medication that didn't react well with me and when my heart rate went up it would race and stay there. I go through phases of having more energy and doing some things indoors anyway but lately I haven't been very well again. I've lost nearly 30lbs since the end of February from pretty much just diet. I'd like to start lifting weights at some point too.

Anyway, I don't calorie count and I "mess up" (have fun) quite a bit but I'm still losing and not going hungry so I'd say yeah it's definitely possible.

Those sound like long days though, get used to your new schedule and try not to stress out about all of this too much, you'll figure out how to work exercise into your schedule. Good luck.

Last edited by LeilaJey; 10-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #5  

Quote:
I'd say it depends on the person. I can lose weight by dieting, but it occurs very slowly. However, when I begin to exercise, the weight falls off like crazy.

I personally often have to exercise to see any significant losses or to lose at the rate that I like.

I know people who are the opposite though, where they can exercise all they want, but its the diet that counts. Changing or upping their physical activity makes little difference.

I would take it as it goes for now. I also work a 5-1 shift sometimes, which causes me to not want to work out, but I usually force myself to. If I know I can't work out, I just curb the calories or I don't reach my max points for the day (WW is what I'm currently on, not CC). You could try just cutting the cal's to make up for your lack of exercise, and see how you work. However, since you're going to be awake so much, you might find that you're hungrier. Maybe try small meals?
I didn't even think about being hungrier! Oh gosh. I think I'll be doing several small meals throughout the day, that's a good idea. Thank you for your reply! It's interesting that everyone is different in this way, frustrating though :P because I'm such a planned/number-driven person that I want everything to be predictable and in black and white... weight loss is clearly not that way. lol.

Quote:
Weightloss for me is purely diet. I workout because it motivates me to eat better, helps me maintain my loss, gives me energy, and makes me look good naked. Exercise definitely has a place in my life.

That said, it's about the diet for me. I won't lose an ounce if I'm not watching what I eat.
That's comforting. I hope we're similar! I won't stress about it too much then. I'm sure that won't help a bit!

Quote:
I never really "work out", I go cyling or walking and do other active things which I love but I live in Ireland so it rains a lot and that means that I'm not doing these things every day. For a good chunk of my weight loss I was barely doing any exercise as I was taking some medication that didn't react well with me and when my heart rate went up it would race and stay there. I go through phases of having more energy and doing some things indoors anyway but lately I haven't been very well again. I've lost nearly 30lbs since the end of February from pretty much just diet. I'd like to start lifting weights at some point too.

Anyway, I don't calorie count and I "mess up" (have fun) quite a bit but I'm still losing and not going hungry so I'd say yeah it's definitely possible.

Those sound like long days though, get used to your new schedule and try not to stress out about all of this too much, you'll figure out how to work exercise into your schedule. Good luck.
Thank you It's nice to know it's possible. I'll try not to stress, getting used to waking up early will be stressful enough (I'm not a morning person. At all.) So I'll try not to obsess.

:O Also congrats to the three of you. You're all doing so well on your goals
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #6  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I think you will do fine. I am only exercising three days a week and doing weight watchers. Sounds like you have a very busy schedule. I wouldn't try to do much more.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #7  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionCupcakes View Post
I didn't even think about being hungrier! Oh gosh. I think I'll be doing several small meals throughout the day, that's a good idea. Thank you for your reply! It's interesting that everyone is different in this way, frustrating though :P because I'm such a planned/number-driven person that I want everything to be predictable and in black and white... weight loss is clearly not that way. lol.

:O Also congrats to the three of you. You're all doing so well on your goals
Thanks! I've been having trouble returning from vacation... but did finally see a woosh earlier this week bringing me scooting down to 205.

Small meals for me is something that I only do some days. It seems my hunger varies daily. I like fiber bars or fruit between meals. Maybe if you like something portable, like grapes, you could take those with?

It is frustrating that there's no set answer, but its something we all have to work past to reach our goals! At least if the answer isn't right in front of any of us, we can all work together to find our personal weight loss strategies.
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #8  

Quote:
Thanks! I've been having trouble returning from vacation... but did finally see a woosh earlier this week bringing me scooting down to 205.

Small meals for me is something that I only do some days. It seems my hunger varies daily. I like fiber bars or fruit between meals. Maybe if you like something portable, like grapes, you could take those with?

It is frustrating that there's no set answer, but its something we all have to work past to reach our goals! At least if the answer isn't right in front of any of us, we can all work together to find our personal weight loss strategies.
I bet getting in the swing of things after a vacation is tricky. Portable things are a good idea, there are some pretty tasty fiber bars, and fruit is always great..so hopefully I'll be able to figure something out :] It kills me because I totally had this thing down to a science before this crazy schedule got dumped on me...so we'll see how it goes

Quote:
I think you will do fine. I am only exercising three days a week and doing weight watchers. Sounds like you have a very busy schedule. I wouldn't try to do much more.
Hmm, I feel like I could swing working out 3 times a week, it's good to know that you're doing well with that amount of working out and with the help of WW- makes me feel like this is attainable so thank you
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #9  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I lost my first 70 pounds with diet only. I just started exercise at the beginning of the year. Like someone's siggy says - "you can't out exercise bad eating habits". What you eat has a much bigger impact than what you do for most of us.

I think several smaller meals is a good idea. You may need to up your protein to keep your energy up for the long days, too.

Good luck. You can do it!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I control my diet to lose weight.

I lift weights to look hot naked .

Diet has MUCH more to do with it, than exercise does.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

In 2009, I lost about 110 pounds without exercising (in about a year).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #12  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Burning stored fat is all about deficit eating, eating less calories than you burn. That can be done by just diet, or just exercise (have to exercise A LOT), or a combination of both. Just being alive burns most of your calories during the course of 24 hours. Most people don't exercise enough to make a significant impact on their calorie burning.

I've often heard that losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

4 years ago I lost 72 pds in 8 months by low calorie count alone. I did a little chair weed pulling, but cn't walk due to knees. So I know it can be done with strick dieting-but, of course I regained. up. This past month I lost 17 pds and only do about 15 minutes of exercise in a chair but have a much higher calorie-healthy food choice food plan. When younger I lost much faster when I could afford a swim club- so yeah you can loose just not as quickly.
healthyginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #14  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I've lost roughly the same amount of weight this month with very little exercising (maybe once or twice a week, if that) as I have in previous months where I worked out at least 4-5 times a week. As long as you're creating a deficit somehow, the weight will come off.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

It can definitely be done on diet alone! But, if you are worried about losing the extra buffer of cals worked off don't forget there are always things you can do during the day that can add up to a nice little gym session. Things like doing a set of squats whenever you go to the restroom, or jogging up the stairs instead of taking the elevator, parking farther away in the lot or getting off a stop early on the bus. Once you have your schedule down take a look at your day and see if there are any little tweaks you can make similar to these.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote