Exercise! - Cycling!

View Full Version : Cycling!

FunSize
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I didn't see a thread for biking riding! Forgive me if there is already one but I thought it would be neat to log our miles here.

Anyone wanna join in? :)

EDIT: Apparently I can't spell Cycling... can anyone fix the title? lol

stlrsgrl43
07-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I will join in, I don't ride my bike that often usually once or twice a week right now when my husband is home. We rode on saturday and went 18 miles, I know that probably doesnt sound like alot but we just started. I will be on vacation till the 4th so I won't be riding for a while but I will keep up with this thread.

FunSize
07-25-2012, 06:22 PM
I will join in, I don't ride my bike that often usually once or twice a week right now when my husband is home. We rode on saturday and went 18 miles, I know that probably doesnt sound like alot but we just started. I will be on vacation till the 4th so I won't be riding for a while but I will keep up with this thread.

18 miles is amazing! I just started cycling myself and the most I've done is 10. I am not sure how often I will be able to ride but it would be great if I could go for an hour everyday while hubby baby sits and then maybe on the weekend I can work myself up to 20 mile rides :)

philana
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm a cyclist! As of a few weeks ago I have a roadbike and I get out for anywhere between 10 and 40miles. Did 25miles in a few days ago and 18 miles this afternoon.

I plan on doing a 100k (62miles) ride this weekend if the weather permits. I turn 27 sunday and I started exercise for the first time in my life exactly a year ago, I wanna celebrate by doing something awesome. lol

Do you ladies have a roadbike or a regular bike? I'm from the Netherlands so I cycle to work and everywhere else on my normal bike, I don't count those trips as cycling really.. to me as a Dutchie they are just.. commuting. LOL. I sometimes arrive at work and will be like "oh, I'm here..? how did I get here?"as I've done those 6 miles so OFTEN!

FunSize
07-26-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm a cyclist! As of a few weeks ago I have a roadbike and I get out for anywhere between 10 and 40miles. Did 25miles in a few days ago and 18 miles this afternoon.

I plan on doing a 100k (62miles) ride this weekend if the weather permits. I turn 27 sunday and I started exercise for the first time in my life exactly a year ago, I wanna celebrate by doing something awesome. lol

Do you ladies have a roadbike or a regular bike? I'm from the Netherlands so I cycle to work and everywhere else on my normal bike, I don't count those trips as cycling really.. to me as a Dutchie they are just.. commuting. LOL. I sometimes arrive at work and will be like "oh, I'm here..? how did I get here?"as I've done those 6 miles so OFTEN!

Hi Philana!
I have a hybird.. it's not quite a roadbike but not quite a mountain :-) I live out in the Arizona desert and there are a lot of gravel paths and off roading type stuff around my house that I wanted to be able to go on in addition to road.
Eventually I can totally see myself getting a bike that's just for road though!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/008-1.jpg

I can't wait to work myself up to 100k rides! Although, I think I'd need to upgrade my bike first. I am totally excited about getting into it more. I have to admit, I love to ride way more than running so I see myself sticking to this for the long haul :)

philana
07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Fun: sounds like the perfect bike for your livingconditions! The Netherlands is cycling-country no.1 so there's perfect cyclinglanes that go on and on here. I don't need to cross any rough terrain thankfully. I'm a bit of a whimp so that would be scary. Nice bike!

It took me a bunch of weeks to get allt he right gear and figure out what I need for a good ride, but now I am slowly learning. Adn more comfortable on the bike every day. I can keep cycling when I go around a corner now, yay. LOL. Oh, and I think I have the click pedals figured out. I wish I would fall already though. Knowing you can fall and won't die is kinda important for your confidence on the bike I think, and I've not fallen off anything in about 10 years.

Do you watch cycling? I just watched my first Tour the France and LOVED it. It's like I get it more now that I cycle myself.

Anyhow. Me rambling. It's just so awesome. And It oo like it way more than running. I need to keep up on the running though since I signed up for a few long runs in september. But this is so much more fun!

lm3898
07-26-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm in! Hello all - I finally got a bike last Saturday to help in between my runs/lifting etc. Made it out last night after my lift session about 8 miles in 45 minutes - nothing too strenuous but it felt good!

I have a hybrid style too - Trek 7.1FX - I LOOOOOOOVE it!!

FunSize
07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm in! Hello all - I finally got a bike last Saturday to help in between my runs/lifting etc. Made it out last night after my lift session about 8 miles in 45 minutes - nothing too strenuous but it felt good!

I have a hybrid style too - Trek 7.1FX - I LOOOOOOOVE it!!

Hi and Welcome! :) 8 miles is great! I love how I feel after a ride. Sounds like cycling is a great addition to your running & lifting! It's nice to add some variety, isn't it?

FunSize
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Fun: sounds like the perfect bike for your livingconditions! The Netherlands is cycling-country no.1 so there's perfect cyclinglanes that go on and on here. I don't need to cross any rough terrain thankfully. I'm a bit of a whimp so that would be scary. Nice bike!

It took me a bunch of weeks to get allt he right gear and figure out what I need for a good ride, but now I am slowly learning. Adn more comfortable on the bike every day. I can keep cycling when I go around a corner now, yay. LOL. Oh, and I think I have the click pedals figured out. I wish I would fall already though. Knowing you can fall and won't die is kinda important for your confidence on the bike I think, and I've not fallen off anything in about 10 years.

Do you watch cycling? I just watched my first Tour the France and LOVED it. It's like I get it more now that I cycle myself.

Anyhow. Me rambling. It's just so awesome. And It oo like it way more than running. I need to keep up on the running though since I signed up for a few long runs in september. But this is so much more fun!

Oh I am jelous of your roads ;)
You know what would be neat? If everyone took pictures while on their rides so we can see the different terrain!

I have started to look up cycling videos on youtube! Expecially for tips and what not :carrot:

FunSize
07-27-2012, 01:31 AM
10.6 miles in 55 minutes, averaged 11 miles per hour. Now.. that might seem really slow but as I was explaining to my husband half of the journey I was "off roading" in a few off beaten paths.. lots of mud hills, rocky trails, etc. But when I was on the road I was probably averaging closer to 15 mph.
I guess I shouldn't pay much attention to my speed when I do a lot of off road cycling :-)
Either way that was officially my longest ride yet, lol. Man this is so addicting.

Rana
07-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I love to cycle.

I did a quick ride by myself this morning, 16 miles, in about 53 minutes (that was an average rate of 14.8 mph with wind).

I was proud of myself for having changed one of my tires by myself. Woohoo! I got a flat (never found what caused it) and while I had seen other people change tires before, I had never done it myself. It took me 13 minutes from start to finish.... which is slow, for changing a tire, since I've seen some of these guys change them in like 5 minutes flat, but for my first time, I'll take it.

sandramac
07-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you for starting this thread! I love cycling; I have a mountain bike. I had to get a stationary cycle after I was hit by a car (while in the bike lane) in 1974. It is not the same... I was SO afraid to ride on the road! I would literally tear up, when I saw people cycling, alone or in groups, because I used to ride 20 miles, every day, and used my bike for primary transportation for several years.

In 2009, a young friend lost his wolf/dog mix, and asked me to help in the search. He didn't know I couldn't ride, and just tossed his bike towards me, as he jumped on his uncle's bike, and took off, calling over his shoulder which area he would be covering. I couldn't let him down, it is a small town, early Saturday morning, and I decided, for the first time, I might be safe.

Such freedom! Such joy! this boy still cannot understand the gift he gave me, that day, leaving me to honor his friendship by overcoming my fears.

I live in Saskatchewan, where our cycling time is limited, and its been a year since I was injured (another car vs. human wreck). I was cleared to ride again only recently, and have been looking for an inspiration. Thank you, so much for providing me with just the push I need!

It is late in the season, late in the month, but count me in! :D

FunSize
07-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Welcome Rana & Sandramac!

Rana~ Congrats on the great ride & the tire change! That is still something I need to learn how to do :) Bravo!! Can't wait to hear your updates :-) You sure have motivated me to go farther than what I have done so far!

Sandramac~ So so sorry to hear about your incidents with cars :( It's a frightening reality check to realize it's a risk we have to take when we share the road with cars ;( I keep telling myself though, most things I love to do have risks.. I also go horse back riding when it's not so hot here in the desert and that has plenty of risks as well! I am so happy you are back riding. Can't wait to hear from you again!

FunSize
07-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Well my party got rained on! Literally!
I was hoping for a long ride.. (at least over 10 miles) tonight. The storm seemed to clear up for a bit so as soon as I got home I was out the door. Well.. 20 minutes into my ride I got freaked out by all the lighting so close. Then it started pouring. So I booked it home and only did 5 miles. It's better than nothing! My jaw is super sore though from being stressed about the lightning. I guess I was clenching my jaw? Anyone have that happen when they exercise?

Also, I am happy because I finally have a helmet! I am picking up things I need little by little. I'd eventually love to get a computer on my bike to tell me my speed & stuff.

Okay, that's all for tonight :)

P.S- Anyone use mapmyride.com? I love it because I can map my ride exactly how I ride it and I will know the exact miles. They have the app for your smart phone, too!

FunSize
07-31-2012, 12:10 AM
My farthest yet.. lovely 12 mile ride in 63 mins. I did some interval training (pedaling really fast between landmarks, then easy pedaling, etc). I felt really good after my ride. Before I would fall down as soon as I got in the house from exhaustion!

Jocee
07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

I started riding again after, ahem, 35 years of not. I started really slowly - a few miles a day, and have moved up progressively to 25-30 miles a day. Last weekend, I did 45 on Saturday, 31 on Sunday and 10 after work on Monday. My thighs and legs are looking great :)

I wish I could figure out why I stopped riding... Oh, silly me, I bought a car.

Rana
08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Rode to work today!

In a dress!

FunSize
08-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Way to go guys!!

I did a little over 8 miles yesterday. It was about 104 when I went riding so it definitely slowed me down a bit. I can't wait until summer is over and the temps get nice here in central az!

Rana
08-05-2012, 04:36 PM
A quick 20 mile ride on my road bike!

Yay!

Jocee
08-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Rode my first metric century this weekend. 100 kilometers. Took me 9 hours to complete and 6 hours of pedaling. I feel remarkable good!

Rana
08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Rode me first metric century this weekend. 100 kilometers. Took me 9 hours to complete and 6 hours of pedaling. I feel remarkable good!

That's great!

I did my first Metric in February of this year, so I know EXACTLY what you went through.

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

lm3898
08-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Good work everyone- you are all so motivating! Did 35 miles on Saturday w/ my husband. We had planned a specific trail but had to improvise when it didn't work out. We stopped for lunch so the whole day was about 4 hours. Loved it & really loving my trek hybrid!!

sandramac
08-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Its great to hear everyone riding such distances! How inspiring!

I used to do 20 miles a day, up and down hills, across mesas, but that was years ago! Where I live now,its pretty flat, but some interesting off-road riding, which is why I bought a mountain bike.

I love to go for distance, but for the time being, I am riding around town and the highway surrounding town. It is nice, here, because there is NO traffic, and I have the road and streets to myself.

Starting last Friday, I have been getting in 6 miles per ride, and twice on Saturday, for twelve miles that day . I am still building up my ankle strength, but it feels SO good, I think cycling will do me more good than walking. I average 12 miles per hour, and in this small town, no need to slow down for traffic.

Today, with a slight breeze, and temperatures in the low 80's, it felt as though I had been swimming, it was that refreshing. Truly thankful to be doing this, again!

Jocee
08-07-2012, 06:08 PM
That's great!

I did my first Metric in February of this year, so I know EXACTLY what you went through.

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

OMG, did you think you were going to die while doing it? Hardest thing I've ever done, and my body went into such shock that I put 5 lbs back on in water weight. :?:

Rana
08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
OMG, did you think you were going to die while doing it? Hardest thing I've ever done, and my body went into such shock that I put 5 lbs back on in water weight. :?:

Well, I prepared for it.

Did you prepare for it or was it an accident that you rode that long?!

I knew I was going to ride a metric because I signed up for a charity ride. I then counted how many weeks I had left before the ride, talked to my friends who have ridden those distances or longer, and started riding. Each week I would increase the number of miles I was doing.

By the two week mark left before the actual ride, I was doing 56 miles more or less. I knew that I could tack on the additional 6 or 7 miles with no problems on the day of the actual ride. (100 KM = 62 miles)

I stopped 3 times, the first time for water, the second time for food (yummy oranges! and a hard boiled egg) and the third time for more food (GNU energy thingies and mixed nuts).

I felt great. I had a healthy lunch afterwards -- roast chicken, salad, corn on the cob.

FunSize
08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Wow you are all inspiring me!!

The heat has been brutal here for the last few days so I've been doing more off trail/mountain biking type stuff than going long distances from my house.
I can't wait until mosquito season is over.. I am getting eaten alive out there and it's too hot to cover up!
I think it was about 110 when I did my ride tonight. :o

thinkfit
08-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say how incredibly inspiring this thread is! I just broke out my bike a few days ago and right now I can only go about a mile and a half without getting too tired (295 is a lot to pull around!) but I'm hoping eventually I'll be cycling like you guys! :bike2:

Jocee
08-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Did you prepare for it or was it an accident that you rode that long?!

Hi Rana,

I physically prepared for it much like you. I've been building stamina up for the last few months, but was not prepared for withering heat and humidity, a flat tire, and a mental challenge of doing something seemingly so physically impossible.

I'm also very proud of this on a personal level, as it tested me like I have not been challenged in a very very very long time.

I've attached my diary of the day below...... (this should be alright to post?)

********** attached ***************

This circuit should be called "Jo's Rail Trail Tour". Three different trails make up roughly fifty percent. It's self designed by ridewithgps.com

It all started by taking a 8:30 MBTA Commuter train to Ayer from Boston's North Station. It arrived in Ayer at 10:30 AM, about an hour behind schedule due to track maintenance. This circuit actually starts on the Nashua River Rail Trail, that extends though Ayer, Groton, Pepperall, Dunstable and into Nashua for 12 miles. You could not wish for such an beautiful ride with very few people and an incredibly smooth asphalt surface. In waning coolness of morning, the first 12 miles breezed by in 45 minutes, with an average of around 15 MPH.

Reaching Nashua, NH, at 11:30, heat and humidity was rapidly escalating. This day was turning into a classic New England swelter with cicada's loudly singing about approaching mid-day heat and humidity. You could just feel it building. Second guesses surfaced as I was starting to wither.

Peddling north on Rt 111 into central Nashua, I had my second flat tire in a week. This time I was prepared, and repaired it in 30 minutes. Not bad when you consider that I'd never done it before, and only watched a random person who stopped to help me last weekend. My sudden boost in confidence was short lived by a difficult time getting though Nashua due to many missed turns and redirections. Also, some snarky driver showed down besides me and told me to get off the road. Like many of us, one develops a thick skin, but it's still a thin veneer and one still does take it very personally.

Once through Nashua, heat and humidity had become overbearing and I seriously considered if I would be able to complete this little jaunt. I stopped at a convenient store and gobbled down a candy bar (Woo Woo - my first in 6 months!) and 30 oz. sports drink, resting for 20 minutes or so. Feeling much better, I decided to press on.

The next 10 miles were absolutely miserable. For those who know this road, it's Daniel Webster Highway (aka Route 3A) that runs through Nashua's commercial strip to enter Massachusetts in Tyngsborough and into Chelmsford. Ten miles of crappy shoulder, speeding cars and heat-crazed grumpy drivers. In hindsight, this was NOT a smart move, but at this point I was committed to this direction. Overall stress of 90+ degree heat, a blazing midday sun and hyper-paranoia of getting hit by a car really took a lot out of me. I arrived in Chelmsford, with my heart hammering, my lungs searching for my breath, and with tears bursting from my eyes.

And this was only halfway home.

I pressed on after resting and pulling myself together, finally reaching my second objective -- Bruce Freeman Rail Trail. Still under construction, Phase 1 is complete. Overall, this linear park is a proposed rail trail through the communities of Lowell, Chelmsford, Westford, Carlisle, Acton, Concord, Sudbury, and Framingham -- following the 25-mile route of the old New Haven Railroad Framingham & Lowell line.

Phase 1 (6.8 miles in Lowell, Chelmsford, and Westford) is now open. Phase 2 in Westford, Carlisle, Acton, Concord, and Sudbury (13.1 miles) and Phase 3 in Sudbury and Framingham (4.6 miles) are proposed extensions. If this first section is any indication, this will be a huge boon to the townships that it runs through -- it should become an incredible resource! The path is straight and smooth, running though woods and wetlands. I actually had to stop for a turkey hen with her chicks -- cute, but incredible stupid -- no wonder that our early settlers didn't starve. Had Pilgrims been armed with bicycles, they could have had road kill for Thanksgiving.

The trail currently terminates at the town line of Carlisle and Westford. When mapping out this circuit, in order to do the 100 kilometers, it made sense to go into Carlisle Center then down to Concord. I was not prepared for was incredible hills leading into Carlisle Center. These killed me. I ended up walking up most of them, with other riders asking "Are you alright?" "Yes, just really tired after riding 40 miles in this heat", as they sped past me uphill!!!!

The nice thing about going up hills, is eventually you will go down. It was exhilarating to sail into Carlisle Center at 25 MPH. There I stopped for an hour, worried about dehydration and heat exhaustion. While there, I had a great conversation with a man who was probably 5-10 year older than me. He started riding 3 years ago. I asked how many miles he was doing today, and he told me that he was coming back from climbing Mt. Wachusetts -- a round trip from Boston of 125 miles. Very impressive. We discussed the finer points of clipless pedals and hills. He offered to have me draft with him into Concord -- Having never done this I thanked, but no thanked, him.

Getting back to cycling, someone suggested that I take River Road & Monument Road into Concord. In a word, WOW. What a nice ride. Mostly downhill, very pretty countryside, and not a single car passed until Old North Bridge - where a shot was heard round the world marked the beginning of our American Revolution. This was the best open road of this whole trip and something I will do again. I rode into Concord Center, where I again rested for 20 minutes, finishing the water I had been carrying with me. I was now 3/4's of the way.

The final legs of this journey was to get over to Bedford Center on Route 62, intersecting with my third objective, the Minute Man Rail Trail and back to Cambridge. These last 15 miles were a total blur. I don't remember much other than focusing on getting back to my apartment in as efficient and expeditious manner as possible. I also experienced something that I have not felt since my teenage years when I use to compete in team sports -- exercise induced euphoria. I'm not sure if any of you have experienced this, but there is a state that comes in exhaustion where the drudgery recedes and clarity emerges. It's weird - the euphoria is distinct, while details are sparse. Is this a classic endorphin rush? If so, it's pretty spectacular.

Pressing down the Minuteman, I did not stop until the trail terminus at Alewife. And I had finished. I was exhausted and was not going to proceed though Somerville and Cambridge streets. I had completed more than 100 Kilometers!

I'm going to do this trip again. Probably this Fall, when foliage is in full display. I'll also definitely figure out another less insane segment from Nashua to Chelmsford.

************* end attached ***************

Rana
08-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Wow, a flat tire, no SAG, and you managed to do it?!

That's impressive!

But again, I think you're right -- if you prepared for it and you had miserable heat (which you probably didn't while you were training)... then that would explain why it took so long.

Some pieces of advice, if you want to take it...

If you are bringing water with you -- and you should be -- get electrolytes in them. You can go the Gatorade route, but if your food plan doesn't allow for that, there are other electrolytes you can add to water that are lower calorie and with less or no sugar. Yes, you need to drink those when you are traveling such long distances. Dehydration IS a real concern! I'm glad you stopped, but again, you should have this in your water bottles already.

Secondly, this is the hardest thing I had to figure out -- the food to eat in the ride. I can't do easy carbs like candy bars because of my IR, but I can do hard-boiled eggs, mixed nuts, and fruit, which is what I did. The fruit is really the easy fast energy that I needed (the rest of the energy came from the other stuff) and also bread/nut butter (I like almond or cashew).

You need to figure out what food you carry with you that you can eat (or buy) but I'm not sure if the candy bar is really enough food for the day.

I suspect your exhaustion that day and later is the lack of carbs (your burned off all the glycogen stored in your body) and the lack of proper nutrition (did you have a big lunch afterwards?) that day and the subsequent days.

But you did it!

And you should learn how to draft because he was offering you a GIFT... Holy crap, on those long rides, you need to draft someone (preferably someone who agrees to it or a friend) because it'll save you energy, you'll recuperate on the bike (without stopping), and you'll have some company!

My ride was just over 4 hours and averaged 13.6 mph.

I'm sure in your state there are rides that you can take that you probably have to pay a small fee or raise money for charity, but those rides have all the rest stops planned out (usually every 10 to 12 miles), the route is picked out (and usually closed to cars or at least signs are there), and they will provide you with food to eat and water/gatorade to drink, and they will have the SAG wagons which can help you with any of those pesky problems like flat tires.

I hope you continue to do it... those long distances are amazing... as soon as the heat dies down, I'll start long-riding.

Jocee
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Wow, a flat tire, no SAG, and you managed to do it?!

That's impressive!

I hope you continue to do it... those long distances are amazing... as soon as the heat dies down, I'll start long-riding.

Thanks!

And advice is always welcomed!

I'm completely hooked. I've a new friend who has invited me to ride with her group. They just did the Pan-Mass Challenge and would like to ride with them next year. Woot!

Rana
08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
That's great, Jocee! I'm so glad.

Today, we went on a 27 mile ride. It was awesome.

philana
08-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Went on a 60mile cycle yesterday, took me like 4h20 or so, which is decent given that I got lost a gazillion times, and then there's so many other reasons to hit the break constantly. Though I improved on that near the end of my ride. I plan on doing a long ride once a week and stick to my 20miles for eveningrides and working on my speed.

Gonna go cycling with a guy that's been pro-cyclist for many years and went to the olympics in Sydney even. Hope he can give me some good pointers. I am loving this so much that I am seriously considering doing it more 'serious'than just for urning calories and having fun. Finding a way so I can get good enough to compete in amateur races or so. But We'll see!

Edit: read your posts on the other page, you guys have been riding good too! It was my first metric century too. Though I'd done 75k on accident a while back and felt fine. I am struggling with figuring out the right foods for energy but I managed well yesterday, just too many calories for my liking. And when I got home I was so hungry I ate like 1500 calories in one sitting. I've never been able to do that! LOL. But it's fine, because you burn a ton when cycling.

I think the reason I had this "I just wanna call home and be picked up" feeling the last 15k or so because I got lost so many times but also because my legs started to feel a bit tired and I had massive winds making it impossible for me to ride 18-20miles an hour (not average, given all the obstacles my avrage is between 15 and 17) . And everytime I saw my speed thing go to 15miles an hour I knew it be minutes longer before I'd be home. LOL.

FunSize
08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I am so jealous of you guys!! Philana & Rana, GREAT JOB!!

I took almost 3 or 4 days off because of the heat and mosquitoes are still rampant around here when I go riding at dusk.
I can't wait to get more serious once the weather conditions improve!

I did a 30 minute easy ride this morning. Hubby is currently building his bike and another bike he wanted from Giant was just released so hopefully he will be able to get that soon and we can go riding together!

Jocee
08-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Went on a 60mile cycle yesterday, took me like 4h20 or so, which is decent given that I got lost a gazillion times, and then there's so many other reasons to hit the break constantly.

Nice! Getting lost was my huge frustration as well.... The best part is that you did the metric century!

I'm traveling for work for a couple of weeks and I miss my bike!

Jo

philana
08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Just did a 19mile ride in 59minutes. So awesome. Been wanting to do that but there has been so much wind. Was one hour of heavy pedaling but I could still talk and wasn't out of breath. I really have no clue if I am actually in really good shape or if it's all just "decent" for some one that's only been exercising for a year. Do any of you know?

Jocee
08-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Wow.... 19 miles per hour is great cycling. You're in territory that I hope to get to by next summer.

I found the following blog online...... you'll have to reconstruct it as I don't have the number of post required to post links :(

highwaycyclinggroup wordpress com/the-average-speed-page-how-to-find-your-average-speed-what-is-a-good-average-speed/

Rana
08-18-2012, 03:29 PM
I have a cycling computer on both my bikes, so I do get the average mphs, which is why I can post how much it was. It takes into account when I'm just pedaling slowly or whatever, which drives me nuts, since I want that number to be higher.

I just have to remember that wind and other environmental stuff can affect how fast I can go! It's not just fitness or my little legs!

Also, it's a good investment. My first computer I bought in Walmart for around $15-20 bucks from Bell and it wasn't hard to figure out. The next one was a Cat Eye (brand) which is a million times better and easier to figure out (I think the higher price = ease of use).

Rana
08-19-2012, 12:44 PM
We did another 27 miler today. It was great, except for the change in the way we went home and our friend who was leading didn't tell the rest of us!

Jocee
08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm having withdrawal. I've been traveling for a week and a half. Only been able to use a boring and broken elliptical machine..... I want to ride my bicycle 27 miles! LOL

SoMuchFattitude
08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I ride, too!

I just upgraded to a 2012 Cannondale Synapse 7 Road that I'm still learning the ins and outs of. I wiped out yesterday (OUCH!) figuring out how to get out of the saddle and pump while clipped in going up hill. (haha!)

I'm doing a 33 mile Budweiser Race/Ride in a couple of weeks and then I have a triathlon at the end of September.

Yay for riding!

Rana
08-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I ride, too!

I just upgraded to a 2012 Cannondale Synapse 7 Road that I'm still learning the ins and outs of. I wiped out yesterday (OUCH!) figuring out how to get out of the saddle and pump while clipped in going up hill. (haha!)

I'm doing a 33 mile Budweiser Race/Ride in a couple of weeks and then I have a triathlon at the end of September.

Yay for riding!

You know you don't actually have to stand on your bike... I just avoid all those things.. not a big fan of road rash!!!!

Good luck on the race/ride and the triathlon. I can't do tris because I don't run -- and I don't run because I have a knee thing.

SoMuchFattitude
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
You know you don't actually have to stand on your bike... I just avoid all those things.. not a big fan of road rash!!!!

Good luck on the race/ride and the triathlon. I can't do tris because I don't run -- and I don't run because I have a knee thing.

Yes, I typically don't stand but due to the way the road is laid out. I prefer to stay in the saddle, but there's this one part where I can't get ahead of the hill enough to carry me up with any momentum. I was comfortable getting out of the saddle on my old bike, just learning the ins and outs of my new one!

It's ridiculously hilly, few places to pick up speed and quite challenging even excellent, very experienced riders say it's a challenging ride, but there definitely times where I have to stand or I might as well get off and walk it up the hill. haha!

Jocee
08-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Ah.... 4 days back from ten days of travel. After 2 weeks of not riding, I played hooky today and rode to the beach. 30 miles, some parts pretty hilly, but still averaged over 12 miles per hour.

Plus I got to work on my first tan in years....

I'm tired..... good night :)

SoMuchFattitude
08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Went on a 32 mile ride with my husband yesterday! It was a bit much to chew since I was already sore from working out the day before. Regardless, I did it!

The seat needed some adjusting and we forgot our tools, so now I have a VERY sore tush. :(

Jocee
08-27-2012, 09:57 PM
The seat needed some adjusting and we forgot our tools, so now I have a VERY sore tush. :(

Congrats! That is a great achievement. Remember when you did your first 5 miles and though you were going to die?

Also, I have to smile, as my tush really hurt when I did my first 25 miler. I ended up buying a new saddle and it has helped sooooooo much, and padded shorts....

SoMuchFattitude
08-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Jocee Haha, yes, I've done 25 or so before this 32 miler, but never with already very sore legs! I'm a glutton for punishment. It is funny how 5 miles used to seem like forever and now 5 miles is a warm up. lol

My bike is relatively new and we moved my old saddle over to my new bike and forgot the tools to adjust it when we went for our ride. Road/performance saddles are already so narrow the slightest error results in a sore tushy. At least for me anyhow! Needless to say, we adjusted as soon as we got home.

What beach do you ride on? What kind of bike? I have a road/performance bike and can't take it on sand. When we go to the beach (Hilton Head) we take our road bikes for the streets but rent cruisers/comfort bikes for the beach. It's such a different type of ride!

Jocee
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Jocee
What beach do you ride on? What kind of bike? I have a road/performance bike and can't take it on sand. When we go to the beach (Hilton Head) we take our road bikes for the streets but rent cruisers/comfort bikes for the beach. It's such a different type of ride!

Oh.... I don't ride on the beach, but rather I ride to the beach.

I currently have two bikes... I bought a Raleigh Roadster when I moved back to Boston last March so that I didn't have to buy a car and now use that to commute and shop. A great city bike, and the first one that I have owned in 35 years. When I plateaued on Weightwatchers for a few months, I decided to increase my exercise levels dramatically and not falling into the trap of eating my activity points. I started walking everywhere, and quickly got really bored with it. I started riding my Raleigh instead, however discovered that it was not well suited for the increasing distances and open road. Talk about sore tushie.

So I bought a Jamis Satellite a few months ago and immediately put a new seat on it.... I also busted through my plateau.

As to beaches...... I use commuter trains to get out of Boston, then ride to the beach, spend a few hours, then ride to another station to get back to Boston. These tend to be 15 to 35 mile jaunts. My favorite is Plum Island Wildlife Refuge (no people, beautiful ride), but also Good Harbor and Cranes Beach on Cape Ann, as well as Race Point (no people, ah, clothing optional) and Coast Guard Beach on outer Cape Cod (where you take a fast ferry boat out to P-town for a day trip).

Joanna

SoMuchFattitude
08-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Jocee - Ohhhhh! That makes sense! haha! Is it relatively flat around there? I lived in Vermont for a few years and I cannot imagine half of those hills. LOL

You have a very pretty bike. :)

Here's my road bike!http://www.athenscyclepath.com/store/prodimages/12_Cannondale_SYNAPSE_WOMENS_ALLOY_6_TIAGRA_375.jp g

This is my seat that I just moved over to my bike, but mine has pink accents. :D http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NUz94wvGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg It's still a ridiculously tiny seat for my big ol booty, but I've gotten use to it. I didn't like the seat the Cannondale came with.

I'm gonna have the wraps redone in pink, too.

Jocee
09-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi all....

I did my second metric century today. A beautiful ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail, plus a bunch -- cranberry bogs, kettle ponds, scrub oak and pine forests, and salt marshes. Just gorgeous!

I also had a crash, or more like someone crashed into me. Pulled out into oncoming bike traffic, and plowed into me. My face and legs are a mess, and I'm sure tomorrow will be worse.

Is this what they mean by "no pain, no gain"? If so, I'll be done dieting on Monday......

PS.... Please always wear a helmet..... Both me and the young man who hit me were both scraped up, but if we weren't wearing helmets I think things would have been much worse. (Poor kid, he truly didn't know how to handle my complete and total injuried b*tch - his parents were aghast as well...

SoMuchFattitude
09-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Jocee OUCH! Glad to hear you're ok! Crashes are no fun. :(

gatorgirl6
09-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi! I really want to get into cycling. Currently I use the stationary bike at the gym with increased resistance and go about 20 mi/hr for a 20 min ride. (This is after I run) I want to get a bike so I can ride to my parents house and back, around neighborhoods and possibly even get into the paved trails. I have been told that I should go for a hybrid bike, but I don't really know what I am doing and I don't have enough money to get a new bike from a bike shop. Any advice? How different is riding outside compared to at the gym? I really think I will love it, but how can I invest SO much money without any idea if I will really use it?

Thanks!

SoMuchFattitude
09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
gatorgirl6 - I 100% understand what you're saying. Bikes can be SO expensive. I bought a hybrid bike initally, for the same reason. What if I don't ride it? Looking back, I wish I hadn't. I wish I had just forked up the money and bought the read deal. I only say that though because I fell in love with cycling. lol.

I spent about $250 on my hybrid at Dick's and then one year later I spent $700'ish on my road bike at REI.

Now is actually the time to buy a bike. They are clearing out the 2012 models to make room for the 2013. You can go to REI's website and see what they've got going on.

You can also check craigslist and see if they have anything good. A lot of people get great deals on bikes there.

Riding inside is 100% different than riding outside, in my opinion. Do you ride a spin (up right bike) or a recumbent bike at the gym? That also makes a difference. The gears/shifting is also something you don't have to deal with in the gym.

I'm assuming you're from FL? If so, you're lucky with pretty flat roads there compared to a lot of places. FL is also a bike friendly place with lots of bike shops. The cycling community is pretty friendly. If you walked into a bike shop, most people would take the time to talk to you about it all and answer your questions and also help you decide the type of bike that'd be best for you!

Hope some of this helps. :)

Rana
09-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi! I really want to get into cycling. Currently I use the stationary bike at the gym with increased resistance and go about 20 mi/hr for a 20 min ride. (This is after I run) I want to get a bike so I can ride to my parents house and back, around neighborhoods and possibly even get into the paved trails. I have been told that I should go for a hybrid bike, but I don't really know what I am doing and I don't have enough money to get a new bike from a bike shop. Any advice? How different is riding outside compared to at the gym? I really think I will love it, but how can I invest SO much money without any idea if I will really use it?

Thanks!

Yes, it is different!

I spin and I cycle, both. In fact, I have a hybrid and a road bike.

So, this is my experience. Spinning -- especially spinning class -- is similar, but it has nothing to do with outside riding. In a class, or even just on a stationary bike, you manage how hard or how difficult you want to ride.

In cycling, the road (or conditions) does that for you. The gears in the bicycle can help you make things easier or harder, for sure, just like in a spinning bike, but you're less aware of the gears as a way to make things harder or easier, because you've got a road, with traffic or lights or hills. I thought I lived in a pretty flat neighborhood until I started riding my bike. Then I realized there are slight elevations and dips that make me ride harder or easier, without changing my gears.

In my spinning class, we ride in the dark-ish. I can close my eyes and pedal and listen to the instructor and zone out.

When I'm on my bike, I have to be aware of the road (is that tree branch?), other cars, other cyclists, stop signs, lights, potholes, street signs (where am I going?!), the wind, the sun, the rain, the humidity, because ALL of that affects my riding, my tiredness, my stress levels, etc.

Yes, I can zone out in the bike, but it took a while to feel comfortable on the road -- and I can do that more in the rural places, where there is less traffic, less lights or stop signs, etc.

As for buying a hybrid or a road bike, if you're still unsure, I would go for the hybrid. This is why -- if you just do it around the neighborhood, a hybrid is great because it'll be faster than a mountain bike or one of those beach cruisers/vintage ones. You'll get gears that you can play around with. You can add a basket to it, to carry your purse or snacks to your parents house. You can then use it to go to the gym or other small errands. It's a versatile bike.

And if you start going on those paved trails and you really like it, you can start to go faster by changing the tires (or you can just buy a hybrid with thin tired). These bikes can be less than $500 and there are some GREAT sales now as SoMuchFattitude was saying. It is true, they are clearing out their inventory, so you can go to a bike shop and not only get a great deal on 2012, they may even have 2011 bikes available. You can get a better deal then, if you are not too short (short short people usually never find good sales on bikes from what I've heard).

I eventually did get a road bike too. I love them both, but now my hybrid is to run errands and my roadie is to go fast and far.

Go to a bike shop to look around, even if you don't buy. Get to know the salespeople. Find a shop that gives you a good vibe. Even if you don't buy from them, they may be the shop that you take your bike to get fixed or to buy accessories, so find one. Your bike will need maintenance unless you plan to do it yourself (I don't).

Rana
09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
PS.... Please always wear a helmet..... Both me and the young man who hit me were both scraped up, but if we weren't wearing helmets I think things would have been much worse. (Poor kid, he truly didn't know how to handle my complete and total injuried b*tch - his parents were aghast as well...

Ouch, ouch, yes, always wear your helmet.

I hope you're feeling better by now... :(

gatorgirl6
09-05-2012, 04:35 PM
I went to all the bike shops in town and definitely found one that I plan on using for maintenance, but only 1 of them sold used bikes and the only used hybrid they had was too small of a frame for me. I have been looking on craigslist and only found 1 hybrid in my price range in the last 2 weeks. It seemed great. The frame was the right size, I liked the looks, the price was right. I asked the girl selling it if she would be willing to take it to a bike shop with me since I don't know enough about bikes yet to know if it needed a ton of repairs or not and she said she wouldn't do that. It seemed way too risky if she wasn't willing to get it seen with me. After all of that, I still really wanted a bike. Yesterday, after I posted here, I started looking at non-bike shop bikes. I know they are less quality bikes, but I need to start somewhere and I can only afford what I can afford. Plus I can't make a used bike appear out of thin air. I actually decided on a Jeep Compass Women's Hybrid (http://www.meijer.com/s/16-inch-jeep-compass-hybrid-700c-womens-bike/_/R-185211). You can click on that link to see it's specifications. To me, a not bike savvy buyer, it seemed to be the best bang for my buck. I stretched a little more than I would have liked to on the cost, but it is a safe buy. I got it from Sam's Club for $180 and I know Sam's has an amazing return policy so I can easily return it if it's not right. It is expected to arrive between Friday and next Wednesday. My dad and I will have to put it together, but he knows how. I am so excited. What do you guys think? Good buy? Any tips for a new rider?

Thanks!

SoMuchFattitude
09-06-2012, 11:26 AM
gatorgirl6 - Good call on not buying someone that won't take it to the bike shop with you to have it checked out!

Congrats on your new bike! That is very exciting! I hope you fall in love with cycling like so many of us have.

Tips? Just remember to wear your helmet at all times and start on quiet roads/neighborhoods until you feel really safe and confident. Most importantly, have fun! :)

Jocee
09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I asked the girl selling it if she would be willing to take it to a bike shop with me since I don't know enough about bikes yet to know if it needed a ton of repairs or not and she said she wouldn't do that.

Really good call.

Any tips for a new rider?

Thanks!

Enjoy. I started with short rides. Maybe 5 miles or less and worked my way up to 50+ miles after 6 months. If you own an iPhone, there a ton of apps out there that will figure out your distance, elevation change, and MPH/KPH

Please get front and rear flashers, even for daylight riding. And please wear a helmet :) It's been a week since my crash I was able to finally put on some makeup today, without looking like a ghoul. Thank god I was wearing a helmet.

gatorgirl6
09-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I bought my helmet and lights today. I get to pick up my bike at Fedex tomorrow!!! :)

SoMuchFattitude
09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
gatorgirl6 - Well? Do you love it?!

gatorgirl6
09-10-2012, 11:22 AM
I do! The only thing is that the brakes didn't come fully assembled. My dad and I couldn't adjust them perfectly, so today i am taking it to a bike store - just to be safe. Then I will start riding and getting used to it. I think the thing that will take the most time to adjust to is that it has lever shifters and I have never used those before.

SoMuchFattitude
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
gatorgirl6 - Definitely take it to a bike shop. Better to be safe than sorry.

It'll take time to learn your gears/shifters and get used to them. I'm still mastering mine. My husband is a cyclist says his are just second nature now and he doesn't even think about what to shift to anymore. I can't wait to get to that point! lol!

Congrats again!

gatorgirl6
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
The bike shop said that my dad and I did an ok job putting it together, but there were things that should be fixed before I take it for a ride. They actually said they are going to take it apart and put it back together again and do a full tune up (adjusting the brakes and gears, etc.). I get it back on Wednesday at 5pm. Ugh... I just want to ride it already!!! But I am happy that it will be in tip top shape.

gatorgirl6
09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I think I'm in love!

I got my bike today and took it for a ride when I got home (after installing a bike odometer and water bottle holder). I did a leisurely 6 mi ride that took me about 35 min. I understand changing gears better now, but I still need to work on it. I just stayed in neighborhoods so that I didn't have to deal with cars, pedestrians, etc while I was trying to learn my new bike. It really is an easy ride. The only two problems I have are (1) it is hard for me to get my front derailleur into its largest gear. It makes a funny noise and doesn't feel right, so I just switch it back down to the middle gear and (2) my lady bits are a little sore. Any hints for either problem? As for the lady bits, my seat is really tiny, so I bought a squishy thing to slide over it. I'm not in a lot of pain. Will I just get used to the seat or should I try tilting it? I really don't know...

All in all, a good day. YAY! NEW BIKE!!!

Patrizia
09-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Can I jump into this thread really late? I just bought a bike at the end of August when I got back to school (I don't have a car, so originally I just bought it to make getting to class on time/lugging home groceries easier). I've started getting into it and I'm trying to add in longer rides - so far my longest is only about 7 miles, just because I'm not used to the area and haven't investigated new places to ride yet.

Do any of you have experience with bike trainers or rollers? I want to try to incorporate some indoor cycling, since so far biking is the only exercise I 100% look forward to and can't wait to do every day! I've heard frightening things (and seen too many videos) about the rollers, but they do seem more sturdy (most of the trainers don't seem to list weight limits, but since I'm hovering around 275 right now it's something I'm definitely worried about).

:ebike:

Thkdiff
09-13-2012, 12:11 AM
I have been cycling for a little over a year. Love being outside. Could barely do 10 miles and now have completed 2 centuries :)) The last one kicked my a@@ , climbing 5000 ft. I have a carbon road bike, a fuji, was reasonably priced. I try to ride a home on the trainer but get bored easily://

SoMuchFattitude
09-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I think I'm in love!
(1) it is hard for me to get my front derailleur into its largest gear. It makes a funny noise and doesn't feel right, so I just switch it back down to the middle gear It'll take you some time to learn your gears. Also, it may be dependent on when you're changing gears, how much pressure you're applying, etc. If you are in the largest/hardest in the front and the largest/hardest in the back you're putting a lot of pressure/tension on your chain which will make shifting gears really hard. If you look at your chain you'll be able to see visually that it's at a diagonal. (2) my lady bits are a little sore. Any hints for either problem? As for the lady bits, my seat is really tiny, so I bought a squishy thing to slide over it. I'm not in a lot of pain. Will I just get used to the seat or should I try tilting it? I really don't know...Buy bike shorts. They can be expensive, but they're worth it in my opinion. You'll want a smaller seat if you're doing longer distances. Oddly enough, it's more comfortable the smaller the seat. You also may not have it adjusted correctly. I wouldn't tilt it, but you want to make sure your sit bones are on the seat and not your lady bits. I have a shorter torso so my seat is as forward as it can go. And yes, it will take you some time to get used to the feel of a bike.

Thkdiff I hope to get to the point of being able to do a century. I have my first sanctioned ride/race this weekend! Very excited and very nervous!

Patrizia I use an indoor spin bike and do spin class. Totally different than my actual bike, but I love it.

gatorgirl6
09-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Fatitude - It is my bones, and not my actual lady bits. Are they supposed to be on the smaller portion of the seat or the wider part? Maybe I need to adjust it forward some...

SoMuchFattitude
09-13-2012, 11:14 AM
You want your sit bones on the wider part of your seat so your weight is distributed evenly. You should be able to look down and see the nose of your bike.

sandramac
09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi, All,

Any suggestions on helmets? I know I need to get one, but unless I get a cheap one at the Co-Op, I do not know what to look for, or a brand name. I am going to Saskatoon, next week, which would be a good time to look, with end-of-summer sales and all. While I hate to crush my hair (vanity, I know!) I am willing to do it to save crushing my brain! So I have never had one, and I am sure, shopping at Wal-Mart, there won't be anyone working there with any knowledge to ask. Thanks, in advance, for ANY guidance you can provide!

gatorgirl6
09-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I move my seat forward and did a 10.25 mi bike ride today. I still need some bike shorts, for sure, but the ride was fine without them. I am going to have to venture out to some trails soon. I have just been riding around neighborhoods in the area. I would like to not have to think about cars and be able to get my speed up a little faster.

sandramac - I have no idea really about helmets. I bought mine from walmart and just made sure that it fit right. Helmet Fit Website (http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/bike/easystepsweb/). If you are worried about it, just go to a local bike shop and they will help you pick one out.

fatsol
09-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I am going to get one but it will be for my riding to plain paths. Perhaps I should go out too often like for shopping or other stuff;these are my coming plans.

Rana
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
gatorgirl6 - Glad you got the bike fixed up and in the bike shop! I've heard that putting it together is really best left for the experts, so I'm glad you took it in. You don't want it to fall apart while you're riding it. In fact, I put fenders on my hybrid and I am going to take it into the shop because they aren't perfect and I can't figure it out. I've put it too many hours trying to make them work and I know a bike mechanic would have it up and running perfectly in seconds.

Bike Shorts (lycra shorts with padding, called chamois) - these are pricey, but sales and shop discounts can make them more affordable. They are tight and you will probably have to get a size bigger than you think you need! But the point of the shorts is to have them be tight, so don't feel self-conscious if they do make you feel like a sausage. They make me feel like a sausage and unless you're skin and bones, it's going to make everyone feel like a sausage. But the reason they have to be tight is so that if you are doing long distances, the cloth and seams don't chafe your skin and cause you issues.

You're not supposed to wear underwear with them! It defeats the purpose of wearing them for the no chafing aspect. Take them off as soon as your done riding and toss in the wash. Don't rewear them because the sweat promotes bacteria.

Helmets -- If they are sold in a shop (and not on Craig'slist) then they are probably certified to be on the road and in your head. Some people argue that some helmets are better (the rounded shape over the sharp edges) but I think the really important part is that 1) you're wearing it! and 2) it fits. In order to know if it fits, it has to be tight on your head (hopefully the helmet comes with adjustable straps) but not enough to give you a headache. Yes, your hair will be mushed down, but it's better to have mushed hair than it is to become a vegetable in the hospital if a car or a squirrel cause you to crash and hit the pavement.

Also, if you do happen to have a crash and the helmet saves your head from turning into mush, replace it. Once it saves you, it's probably gotten damage in the foam and it won't protect you as well the next time it happens.

The other differences in helmets have to do with the brand and the material its made out of -- the foam will be the same in all helmets. The plastic part is what changes and can be made out of all types materials. The lighter the helmet, the more expensive the helmet. Brand names will also add cost.

Mine is a Bell that I purchased on sale for about $50. It's worked so far, again, I haven't hit the pavement with it, although since I've had it for a while, I want to replace it.

You can also look for helmets that have padding inside it that can be taken out and washed. I take mine out every once in a while and toss in the wash. My head does get sweaty. Helmets can be washed with soapy water, but never in a machine!

Seats - If you're just starting to ride (or Spinning class for that matter) it's going to hurt a bit. It takes a while for your butt to figure out how to sit and yes, you may need to adjust until you get comfortable in the seat. Expect it to hurt the first couple of times you ride. After that, if it's still hurting, it will be the position of the saddle or the type of saddle. Sometimes your sitbones may be more narrow or wider than what the seat is meant to give you. Don't give up, you can replace the seat!

With the bike shorts, the chamois will also help it be more comfortable.

My hybrid came with a seat that's awful. I couldn't handle it. I don't know how anyone could ride it. I replaced it with a gel seat. My road bike has the original stock saddle and it's perfect for my butt. No one thought it would be because all cyclists say the stock saddle is horrible. So far, so good... And I've done hours long rides, so its stood up to that.

cbheart16
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I went to my first SoulCycle class yesterday and loved it! Super high energy and great music. It was my second workout of the day, so my energy wasn't as amazing as it could have been, but I'm sure I still burned a ton of calories. I def think it is a fun way to do cardio but I for sure still need toning workouts for more visible results.

FunSize
09-18-2012, 06:05 PM
*Waves* Hi everyone! Finally have been getting some miles in lately :-) Weather has been around 100 degrees as the daily high which is wonderful.

There is a century ride coming up in November and they have a half century as well (32 miles I think?)

The most I've ever done is 15 miles.. I am sure I could easily do more it's just the weather has been too hot.

Any advice on working my way up to a 30 mile ride? Just do it? lol

Rana
09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
*Waves* Hi everyone! Finally have been getting some miles in lately :-) Weather has been around 100 degrees as the daily high which is wonderful.

There is a century ride coming up in November and they have a half century as well (32 miles I think?)

The most I've ever done is 15 miles.. I am sure I could easily do more it's just the weather has been too hot.

A century is 100 miles. Century = 100 years!

A half-century is 50 miles.

If they are referring to a METRIC century, then that's 100 KILOMETERS, which is approximately 63 miles. A half-metric would be around 32 miles.

Check before you sign up! Otherwise you might train for the wrong ride!

As for training...

Yes, ride. Ride short rides during the week if you can and then do longer rides on the weekends. It really depends on how much time to you have. For example:

Week 1
M - 15 miles
T - rest day or other activity
W - 17 miles
F - 15 miles
S - 20 miles
S - rest day or other activity

Week 2
M - 20 miles
W - 17 miles
F - 20 miles
S - 30 miles

Week 3
M - 20 miles
W - 25 miles
F - 25 miles
S - 30 miles

Week 4
M - 25 miles
W - 25 miles
F - 30 miles
S - 35 miles

Etc.

The idea is to increase, stay the same, increase again, stay the same.

The nice thing about riding a bike versus running, for example, is that to add another 5 miles to your longest ride is a stretch, but it's not impossible. I can't imagine how runners do it to train for a marathon! They are nuts!

The way that I trained for my metric century was like this:

Week 1:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 22 miles
Sunday ride: 27 miles

Repeat week 2

Week 3:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 27 miles
Sunday ride: 37 miles

Repeat week 3 - 5

Week 6:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 37 miles
Sunday ride: 42 miles

Week 7:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Sunday ride: 56 miles

Week 8:
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Saturday ride: 27 miles
Sunday ride: 56 miles

Week of Ride (ride was on a Sunday)
M & W = spinning class
T&T = Pilates
Sunday ride: 63 miles

My group had to ramp up the riding pretty quickly (adding miles to the rides) because 1) there were weekends we had to skip due to people traveling or having to work and 2) the ride was coming up and we hadn't yet done an over 50 mile ride! Some friends hated it. I learned the most about nutrition during those long rides because we had to go prepared with food (not just water). I also learned which friends had the stamina (we all did well, some better than others though!).

TripSwitch
09-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Century ride =100 miles... so 32 miles = not quite a 1/3 century ride...

The question I would be asking myself is this... How long in actual real time (in minutes and hours) am I actually cycling... one way of estimating how long it will take you go a certain distance in a certain time with proper training is : If doubling the distance, than double the time + 10%, so if you bike 15 miles in an hour, than 30 miles would should take you 2 hours + 12 minutes (the +10%) or about 132 minutes...

Of course this assumes being well trained and is probably overly ambitious for someone's first time at that distance, but it offers a very general reference point at least....

Another general rule of thumb is to not add more than 10% to your milage or time totals to your training a week....

So by taking a look at where you're at now... with how much milage and/or time you are currently covering and pulling out a calendar to see if you can comfortably (and safely, I might add...) get to where you want to be by 2 weeks before the event (so you can taper your milage and/or time to arrive at the starting line well rested and ready to go...) If that's doable... than go for it...

Trust me I haven't always followed my own "advice"... One time I decided to run a marathon on a whim that was only a few weeks away... and because I had been doing long runs of 14-18 miles on a fairly regular basis at the time, I thought that it wouldn't be a problem (and it wasn't my first marathon, etc...) Well, it was not only my slowest stand alone marathon ever, but those last few miles were pretty brutal... I literally almost fell over at the finish line because my legs just "stopped" working (actually, kind of scary... and yes, VERY painful!)

If you can do it great.... but the one thing I've learned along the way is to always "respect" the distance... and that there will always be another century ride or marathon (or in my case these days another 5K run...lol...) that I can get myself ready for and actually enjoy...

Good luck!

gatorgirl6
09-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I would really like it to stop raining outside so I can try out my new saddle... :/ Two days of rain have made riding my bike a difficult task.

Jocee
09-20-2012, 09:21 AM
I think I'm in love!

YAY! NEW BIKE!!!

I've been traveling the last couple of weeks and just have not had time to get online to catch up.......

I love seeing posts like this!

Jocee
09-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Any suggestions on helmets?

Better late than never......

Bell..... They are the most fashionable, but then have been making helmets for years. Back in the day, a BF has a thing for motorcycles. I always wore a Bell helmet :) Back in the day....... :^:

Jocee
09-20-2012, 09:26 AM
How do we make this a sticky?

gatorgirl6
09-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Well, I just put my new saddle on my bike. I am going to take it for a ride today as long as the weather cooperates. I have to ride it over to my parents house to borrow their allen wrenches to adjust my handle bars. Apparently they aren't angled right and I would like to make them a little higher too.

My sister has expressed interest in buying a bike to ride with me. She is a new homeowner, so her budget is even tighter than mine. Any advice on her bike? Should we have similar styles to ride together or does it not matter? I think she would enjoy a cruiser, but would that go significantly slower than a hybrid?