Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/183/154

Height: 5ft 6

Default Dieting while watching salt intake

Hi everyone, with my on/off diet saga most of my life I generally know what I should and shouldnt be doing to lose weight......however I am now having to watch my salt intake after being put on blood pressure meds...........at first I thought I wouldnt have to do much as I have never added salt to anything, Im always really careful with that however over the last few days Im amazed at what I have found out....ie the amount of salt in cereals.....on my last 'diet' I was having a bowl of cornflakes for brekkie and possibly supper. Also things like tuna which I was having for lunch.

I just wondered if anyone else out there is also keeping an eye on their salt intake and how hard they find this??

Thanks xx
shaz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #2  

HI i am in the same boat and my doc. said to give up all the pepsi max i drink and for about 5 days before my next visit to her i had no pepsi and no salt that i knew of and my blood pressure was normal for the first time in 10 years so its definetly worth a try. but everything has hidden salt to make it taste better except fruit perhaps ? good luck
luvs_violets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #3  

My dh had end-stage renal failure and could have no sodium at all. That's when my eyes were opened to the huge amount we consume every day without thinking. After he passed away, I continued to eat as little sodium as possible. If you are having trouble getting started, google Dash Diet Solution. Tons of good free info and a week meal plan for starters,
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #4  

Hi, thanks for replying, Shirley was it not hard to manage that period of time with no salt? are you currently still watching your salt intake? Susan thanks alot thats great, I am just going away to google that, thanks for letting me know :-) x
Old 07-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #5  
jbabs

S/C/G: 194.5/ticker/154

Height: 5ft9

Hi shaz, I had to watch my salt as I was on prednisolone. I think the secret is to go back to basics. Cook everything from scratch. I cringe when I read labels now. Sugar is also added to pretty much every thing.
Good luck.
janeybabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #6  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

I have to watch my salt intake because of high blood pressure, also sugars for my diabetes.
I never put salt into anything when I am cooking even if it's some vegetables, which I steam anyway.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #7  

Thanks guys, I am now keeping an eye on the salt in food, I never added salt to anything previously anyway so thats a good thing :-)))) x
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #8  

MUCH LATER I come back to add. I am now really starting to try lose the salt altogether,have been really reading labels and even the no added sugar jam has salt/sodium in it Even without adding salt yourself it is near impossable to eat salt free I now have the added problem of puffy eyelids which I'm blaming on forgetting about no salt for the last couple of weeks .Violet
luvs_violets is offline   Reply With Quote