Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/155/115

Default Depression, Anxiety and Trouble Losing Weight

Good Morning Ladies...

Its been a long time since I have visited this website.. But I decided to return because I always received great advice and support when I have tried to lose weight in the past... In the past 6 months I have literally gone from being 150lbs to 194lbs.. I hate looking at myself in the mirror now.. and when I went to try on summer clothes since none of mine fit now... I was completely disgusted with myself... I've been trying to lose weight but it doesn't seem to be working.. I have never been this depressed and I am constantly having panic attacks.. I just recently was put on new medications so I am hoping that will stable things out but I just don't know what to do anymore...
Purefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Well, you made the first step to come back here, 2nd step, believe in yourself, Don't let your weight be the boss of you. Stay focused and determined and it will happen. Good Luck hun!
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

I've struggled off and on with anxiety and depression since my early 20s. I've never been tested for it, but I think I tend towards a little bit of OCD behavior too. What I've found helpful is tracking what I eat and how much I exercise. My trackers (yes, plural...that's why I think I'm a little OCD) have become part of a daily routine that helps keep me calm.

Also, community support is a big deal for me. I'm primarily on Weight Watchers and I have a network of friends there who really help me up when I've fallen. WW isn't free though and money can be an issue.

Obviously, I've also joined in here to extend that support network.

The three places I track are Weight Watchers, Sparkpeople and MyFitnessPal.

I hope this helps.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #4  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Hi Purefire, Sounds like you are quite a young person and having trouble with your weight loss is no joke! When you get to my age it is a different story as everything starts to slow down especially when taking various meds as well. So I do know how absolutely frustrating and depressing it can be regarding that.
However, you have a lot of things going for you and if it is possible for you to do exercises it would certailny help. It would also help with your anxiety disorder and therefore relaxing more helps with losing weight as well.
Do hope you manage to get something sorted..and as has been already said...you have made a good start coming on here for support.
All the very best to you.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/293/160

Height: 5'8"

Stay strong and positive.....one day at a time!
suntantoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #6  

I have pretty much a life long experience with depression, anxiety and weight issues. I find that weight issues make me depressed and anxious. AND being depressed and anxious really negatively affects my weight. It's like a catch-22.

Like all double-binds, it's hard to get out of. For me, I have found that I have to address my depression/anxiety first, before I can deal with the weight.

Also related is self-esteem/compassion. I noticed you said that it's hard to look at yourself in the mirror. Lord knows I've been there and still experience this more often than not. I've been working a lot with my therapist though to work on accepting and loving myself at whatever size I am. And after some time, it's working! I feel more content with myself and that makes it easier to make health the focus of my weight loss instead of looking like a celebrity on a magazine cover.

I've dieted a lot before while I was severely depressed, and it just always made things worse for me. I'd binge and purge and work out like a maniac, always feeling like crap, feeling worse even. And no matter how much weight I lost, I was always unhappy and wanted to lose more, because I was unhappy with myself.

Sorry this turned into a giant response! I hope you can find a space to love yourself and feel better in general.
Rachella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #7  
Started IP 09/05/12

S/C/G: 203/160/160

Height: 5'7"

As others have said, it is hard to focus on a weight loss goal if you're having emotional issues. I struggled with depression and general anxiety disorder, for which I am taking medication. During my depression, I went up to my highest weight ever, and could never seem to come down. So I'd think "whatever, I'm already fat" and keep doing unhealthy stuff.

Your primary focus at the moment should be to deal with your depression and anxiety, whether through psychotherapy, medication, counselling or whatever. When I was "sick", I'd lose a few pounds and panic. I was emotionally unable to handle weight loss and its effects on me, namely feeling like I didn't deserve to become sexier and healthier. With the depression under control, I was able to break that psychological barrier. Don't put too much stress on yourself by trying to deal with two big issues at once. It is a perpetuating cycle: weight gain --> crappy feeling --> weight gain --> crappy feeling. You've got to break it.

Finally, remember that both weight loss and healing from depression/anxiety are long-term processes. Don't get discouraged and quit. Reward your progress, keep a journal, express yourself, keep yourself busy, read some books on both weight loss and anxiety, the more you know the more control you can have and the stronger you will be.

I have been where you are, and I can assure you that it is possible to make it out of that pattern. Take it one day at a time. You are worth it, remember that.

I hope this helps
Kikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 162/155/115

Thank you ladies..

I have been dealing with depression and weight loss since high school.. which has been roughly the last 15 years. The last year and a half has been the worse of it. Believing in myself is normally the easy part unless something extreme happens and I lose sight of what I know I can and can not do which in the last year has happened frequently.

I use to track my weight with a few different trackers at once but I haven't been consistent with it in all the recent attempts. I use to write it down, keep track of it on fit day... my new tracker is my fitness pal. I go see the nutritionist at work once a month.

I use to exercise everyday.. I start to exercise and then I will go days and weeks before I start again.

Believe me I know how to lose weight and exactly what to do and what not to do. With everything going on I haven't found the motivation to do what I need to do. Plus my support level at home is slim to none.

I always seem to put everyone else before myself. That is something that also needs to change...

Starting to focus on just me has always been the issue.
Purefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/163/140

Height: 5'4

Good job on recognizing that you need to make that change!
I do agree with you, I know how to lose weight, its easy to understand its just hard to commit and make the changes you need to succeed!
We are all hear to support you! good luck!
alisonclaire is offline   Reply With Quote