Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #1  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Default Any long-distance racers who can give me advice?

I've got a half marathon coming up on Saturday. I think I have put in enough mileage.. (longest run was 11 miles 2 weeks ago, but I've done 3 11 mile runs before then as well) this week I've been trying to take it easy, ran 8 miles on sunday and then have been doing easy 3-4 milers and am planning on taking tomorrow off or just going on a little 2 miles if I'm dying to..

I have 2 questions.
1. I count calories, usually between 15-1700 daily. All week Ive been closer to 1700, but should I go a little above that today and tomorrow? I want to have enough energy but I also dont want to feel bloated or weighted down. ( I do notice that after i binge, I have CRAZY energy to run the next day, but also have mega digestive issues) So- do you usually eat a little more in the days before a race?

2. how do you calm your nerves? I am dying here!

maybe this is silly, but I am just so nervous!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

I personally haven't ran a long distance yet, but a girlfriend of mine with a history of binging (hasn't in 2+ years) runs half marathons and she always has a couple pieces of pizza or pasta the night before a race. She finds that if she eats to little (salad, etc) she is hungry and tired during the race.
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #3  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Hey Danzing - how did it go??
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #4  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Thanks westcoast

It went well! I ended up at about 2,000 calories the day before- and was feeling really awesome for about 8 miles... Then I got to the hilly section (didn't train on many hills- oops! . ) and by mile 12 my legs HURT! I was about 5 minutes slower than I wanted to be but still very happy with my time 2:01... I have another race in October and now I know what to do/not do next time!

I'm hooked. I'm already looking for more races to sign up for and trying to get a Ragnar team going!!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote