Weight and Resistance Training - Bat Wings

View Full Version : Bat Wings

stlrsgrl43
07-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Has anyone has any success getting rid of their bat wing(the flab under your upper arm). If so, how did you do it and how long did it take?

curvynotlumpy
07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Sadly no, stlrsgirl43. I've been doing Body Pump (a lifting class to music tracks) at my gym for a couple of months and I have "leaned out" quite a bit. My arms have firmed up too, but nope, still got my bat wings. That's okay though, the trade-off is good health so I can live with them. Guess I'll have to, right? :) Admittedly, I do have more tone and definition so I do believe the way to go is to strengthen as much as possible the muscle underneath the wings.

What have you tried or are trying?

stlrsgrl43
07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Right now im doing the new rules of lifting for women, i have 1 more workout in stage 4 then start stage 5.

Brandis
07-18-2012, 10:20 PM
It can be done. But it takes a combination of low body fat and muscle definition. I'll let you know when I get there.:carrot:

seagirl
07-18-2012, 10:34 PM
you can't tone fat, so while you are building muscle by lifting you've got to keep trucking away at the weight loss.

sontaikle
07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm going to quote my post on another topic that is similar to this one:

Hey! I was just planning a post on this on my blog. So I do have an image about arms:

http://healthplusfifty.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/arms.jpg

First picture is my arms at around ~200lbs, second picture is 136lbs and the last is as of a week or so ago.

I lift HEAVY weights. No little dumbbells, but when I do use them in my group fitness classes I never go lighter than 15lbs. I also do some intense bodyweight exercises

Thing is, you can lift all you want and still have flab. I was lifting heavy at 136lbs and I was lifting at 200lbs too (not as heavy though). The fat was covering up my muscle! Dieting gets you the arms, weight training makes sure you KEEP your muscle and end up with some nice defined arms.

It's hard to see in the picture and unless I point it out to you, but I do have loose skin on my upper arms. It doesn't really make an appearance unless I'm waving my arms violently or something :lol: and it's not enough for me to NOT go sleeveless. I've been LIVING in tank tops this summer when I would have NEVER worn them unless it was 100+ degrees outside before (which is why it's difficult for me to find a picture of my arms at my SW).

RVAscreenwriter
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks, sontaikle, for the informative re-post. I have had really great arms in the past (before I gained all of the stress weight that took me to 200), and agree that it really is about getting your fat percentage down, and using weight training to keep your muscles defined. I got the best results using free weights.