Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/145/135

Height: 5.3

Default Coaching Appt. without buying products???

Hello All,

Question for you that are going to your IP clinic, and phasing out IP products for alternatives. Last week was my first week without buying IP products. I went in for my weigh and measure and my coach said “are you all good on food?” I said yep, and walked out feeling so guilty. I was wondering how others are doing it week after week, going to the clinic and NOT buying products? I know I paid the $300.00 up front for “counseling appointments” and I never signed anything saying I would exclusively buy their products, but are you telling your coaches you are using other products???? I would love your input, even if it is just to ease my own guilt!

Thanks and happy Hump day!
sweetsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #2  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

Hi Sweets:
As you know, I don't use IP products or their coaches but I have a whole bunch of coaches right here on this forum!

Why feel guilty? Its YOUR life and YOUR money! You decide whats best for you....
Me...I would be honest and tell them what I am doing...if they can't handle it then I would ask for my $300 back and leave. I mean if you are willing to keep the counseling app'ts you paid for then they have an obligation to counsel you and provide the service you "bought"...or they have to refund you for breach on their part. As you said, you did not sign anything.
Why even lie about it at all?
From a lot of what I have read here on this forum, so many people are "AFRAID" of their coaches and being kicked out by them. I find that "concept" hard to understand. I would never do business with anyone under those conditions. They are in business, and their business is to make money. They don't do this for the love of fat people. They do it for money.
But do what you think is best for YOU!
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Just wondering if you're not buying the products what exactly is the advantage of the coaching?

I started at a clinic but after a few months realized that I just couldn't take the time for the long drive there and back along with my long commute for work. My coach was very good but once I was using alternative products she really wouldn't be able to coach me. If things were not going well with my loss how would she be able to give me advice when she was not familiar with the products I was losing? If something was off track she would not be able to figure out what the problem was.
I doubt very much that a clinic would let you come for more than a week or so without buying products. They would likely think at first you had packets you didn't use soon they would realize you are buying other things.

Their job is to coach you on IP and when we use altenatives instead we are not actually doing IP.

Last edited by patns; 07-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #4  
Dieting Since Birth!

Patns: I agree with what you say as to coaching...as it makes sense, obviously.

But I think you are way off base when you say
"... when we use altenatives instead we are not actually doing IP."

There are a whole bunch of people here who do IP using alternatives and that statement makes it seem like we don't belong here as we do not buy all the IP products. You do not have to buy all the Atkins products for example to "do Atkins"....and you CAN get support from them at anytime...I was an Atkins adviser for several years and helped many people doing atkins and it did not matter if they bought ATkins shakes, bars etc...they needed help with ketosis questions, constipation etc and they had their food log for us to look at,,,
Sweetsloan paid $300 for "counseling appointments" as she states. She is entitled to those app'ts...they may not be able to answer specifics about what she eats but they can weigh and measure and do something for the 300 bucks they took from her.///or they should refund her if thats what she chooses.

Seems to me all these IP clinics, many of which are chiropractor offices, and have coaches with NO special nutritional/dietary formal training, just care about cattle-call rotation of people for the sole sake of making money. Stop spending and you are out.

Business model is to make the products exclusive to clinics only and force desperate people to greatly overpay for products that should cost a small fraction of what they charge.
What a sweet racket.
Just saying.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth357 View Post
Patns: I agree with what you say as to coaching...as it makes sense, obviously.

But I think you are way off base when you say
"... when we use alternatives instead we are not actually doing IP."

There are a whole bunch of people here who do IP using alternatives and that statement makes it seem like we don't belong here as we do not buy all the IP products. You do not have to buy all the Atkins products for example to "do Atkins"....and you CAN get support from them at anytime...I was an Atkins adviser for several years and helped many people doing atkins and it did not matter if they bought ATkins shakes, bars etc...they needed help with ketosis questions, constipation etc and they had their food log for us to look at,,,
Sweetsloan paid $300 for "counseling appointments" as she states. She is entitled to those app'ts...they may not be able to answer specifics about what she eats but they can weigh and measure and do something for the 300 bucks they took from her.///or they should refund her if thats what she chooses.

Seems to me all these IP clinics, many of which are chiropractor offices, and have coaches with NO special nutritional/dietary formal training, just care about cattle-call rotation of people for the sole sake of making money. Stop spending and you are out.

Business model is to make the products exclusive to clinics only and force desperate people to greatly overpay for products that should cost a small fraction of what they charge.
What a sweet racket.
Just saying.

I am one of the many who has used alternatives to reach goal for the reasons you mentioned. I totally agree with your point that a lot ot places have horrific coaches. I particularly hate the bullying that some people put up with and pay through the nose to be emotionally abused.
I also hate that so many coaches make up their own rules based on misinformation.

Also many people have very good coaches and feel the support they get is worth paying for. It is totally a personal decision.

I have actually been asked twice to leave 3fatchicks by other posters because I am not using IP products. I started coming here a year this month.
I do think I am not following IP, but an alternative program.
IP is trade marked and I'm not using their products.

As for people who don't use the products not being welcome here this is not what i meanT to imply at all. If that were the case I'd be long gone from here.

3fat chicks is a public forum and has no more alliance to IP than to any other program. So we all have the right to post here even me on my alternative plan.

Actually the first $300 includes food and supplements so is not actually totally a consulting fee. Personally I would think to keep going to the clinic would be a further investment of time that would not be productive to me. That's why it never crossed my mind to keep going to the clinic.

Sweetsloan may feel differently, that's why I asked her what would be the advantage to keep going.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 07-18-2012 at 09:34 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #6  
Dieting Since Birth!

Can't understand why anyone would ask you to leave the site Pat....I have seen many of your posts and you help many people. There are threads here just for alternative foods etc and many threads regarding comparisons of products, spreadsheets dedicated to comparisons and finding like products and much lower prices and such...

You must have been very naughty to get asked to leave...haha!

I don;t care if IP is trademarked or not...heck with that! The doctor made the diet like 25 years ago...he put it out there and people have used it. It's still th Ideal Protein diet same as Atkins is the Atkins diet...if we follow the sheet for phase 1 as written, we are "on the diet" in my opinion, whether we use a coach or not and whether we give them money for their products or not. When people ask me what diet I am on...I say "Ideal Protein" and they then know what I am doing...if IP don't like it, they can kiss my ample tushy! :-)
Good discussion Pat!
Have a great evening!
Jake
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #7  
Feb 2012

S/C/G: 300/248/145

Height: 5'6"

My coach let me know on several occasions that they did not approve of me buying anything on line. I went on line because their selection of food was terrible. Also I could get it lots cheaper. The last time she went she sort of was attempting to coerce me into buying all my products from them. I needed vitamins and it would cost me about $5 more to get them from her than from the Protein store, so I told her I would pass. Then I got a song and dance about how the owner wanted her to drop anyone who was not using all the products from them so I told her I would not be back.
athebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #8  
Started IPD 6-19-12

S/C/G: 316/298/175

Height: 5'8"

I personally don't have much of an opinion about this topic. We all have to do what works for us. But I did ask at my last appointment about the use of alternatives and was told that the office isn't insured to support the use of alternatives. Also, that some clinics will keep track of what people are buying becausee they need to be sure their clients are doing the protocal they're selling - not in those words.

For me I've decided to stick with IP products as long as I can afford them and then switch to all alternatives at some point. I've had so little succes with weight loss and I'm losing - I'm afraid to fix what is working for me.
Barb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #9  
Dieting Since Birth!

I could never afford to go with the Ip program foods, paying for a son in college is just killing us financially...but I certainly can respect and understand anyone wanting to do it that way.

Just seems so many people cannot afford it, especially in today's economy. Its just tough "out there".

I also am very much "pro-business" and respect IP's right as a business to charge whatever they want, and do whatever they want. Thats their right. And of course it is a good "business model" for them to attempt to get as many people as possible dedicated solely to their products to make as much money as possible. Thats just business. I am sure that muddies the waters for the "good and true" coaches who really do care as they will have pressure from the boss to sell, sell, sell or get fired. Thats just business.

The important thing is that we all come together here, at this site, and help each other...talk things out...and do our dang best to get rid of some of this extra cargo we all carry around.

I really and sincerely do feel very safe here and that I have the BEST coaches possible...real people who have the same struggles as me, and know what its like to have lived as a heavy person, and that goes way beyond the mechanics of coaches hawking packets. On this site you get the best we all have to offer and thats better then 99% of IP's coaches out there!

Glad to be here.
Glad to meet you all...
And thank you all for being here and helping!
Cheers
Jake
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220 / see ticker / 140

Height: 5'4"

I do mostly alternatives at this point. I continue to go to my coach because I need the accountability. Generally I buy a few IP products a week that I really like and order the rest online or what not. Only one time did anyone really inquire about what I was buying and I told them that I stock piled in the beginning so I would have a good variety (forgive the lie). I understand why they want you to buy their products that is their livlihood ... if everyone just showed up and bought nothing they would go under quickly. When it is feasible for me financially I do buy more but when it isn't ... it isn't.

I have had a tough past couple week - weight loss slowed some and I needed more help so I did switch myself back to 100% IP products so if I can't get past the plateau on my own I can turn to my coach - I am glad to have that option.
Cole3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/145/135

Height: 5.3

Thank you all for this wonderful discussion thread!! Let me start by saying; I can afford the IP foods. I make very good money and when I started this plan, I told myself I have no problem spending $5,000 on a successful weight loss. (it should be less, to lose 50lbs, but worst case) Several reasons made me started looking at other products:
· The foods taste, to me, was not worth $35.00 a box.
· The clinic won’t let me pick and choose products, you buy the whole box and if you don’t like it you are stuck with it. If you want a variety, you buy more boxes.
· When I started reading this blog and saw what some people were paying for things, it opened my eyes. I am all for small business, I want to support them, but when they portray blatant price gouging, I just put my foot down, mentally I can’t write that check if I feel I am being taken for a ride.
· Charging $ 5.00 for a 2 oz. bottle of salt.
· Charging $25.00 for a bottle of calcium (one of the least expensive vitamins on the market)
· Charging $ 12.00 for a shaker bottle
· Charging $5.00 for a journal
· I felt like I got far more “coaching advice” from this blog than from the chiropractors wife that runs the clinic/my coach. when I go into the clinic I feel rushed and like Jake said get in, get out, make money.

JAKE…, if you were not married, I would come to New York and marry you!! I really enjoy reading all of your posts. You have helped me in so many ways!
PAT…. I was thinking that going to the clinic each week and getting weighted and measured would keep me accountable and to see the physical changes would keep me motivated to keep it up. (I live alone, I don’t have anyone to do that for me) I know this diet is working for me, mentally I can tolerate eating this stuff (I don’t always like) IF I am only paying only $ 11.00 a box. At $11.00 a box I can buy 11 boxes and have a great variety for the same cost of 3 boxes of IP. If I don’t like the product, throwing away $35.00 hurts me more than $11.00. I do feel I belong at the IP clinic until my initial investment has been used up. I really wanted to hear from people to see if they actually continued going or if they were asked to leave once they stopped buying products. Again, thank you all for this help and support, putting “thank you “ words in a blog just does not do it justice.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
sweetsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I am one of the many who has used alternatives to reach goal for the reasons you mentioned. I totally agree with your point that a lot ot places have horrific coaches. I particularly hate the bullying that some people put up with and pay through the nose to be emotionally abused.
I also hate that so many coaches make up their own rules based on misinformation.

Also many people have very good coaches and feel the support they get is worth paying for. It is totally a personal decision.

I have actually been asked twice to leave 3fatchicks by other posters because I am not using IP products. I started coming here a year this month.
I do think I am not following IP, but an alternative program.
IP is trade marked and I'm not using their products.

As for people who don't use the products not being welcome here this is not what i meanT to imply at all. If that were the case I'd be long gone from here.

3fat chicks is a public forum and has no more alliance to IP than to any other program. So we all have the right to post here even me on my alternative plan.

Actually the first $300 includes food and supplements so is not actually totally a consulting fee. Personally I would think to keep going to the clinic would be a further investment of time that would not be productive to me. That's why it never crossed my mind to keep going to the clinic.

Sweetsloan may feel differently, that's why I asked her what would be the advantage to keep going.

Pat
Hi Pat,

I can't believe that anyone would ask someone to leave. Just because someone doesn't use IP specific products doesn't mean that you are not following protocol. I too, joined 1 year ago July 2nd and I used IP products for 4 months which by the way adds up to a whopping $1550. I never cheated and did not lose what they claimed 3-5/wk. I averaged over the 4 months 1.75 lbs., I think it is false advertising, because everyone doesn't lose what they say ( even with not one cheat) OK, so I too switched to alternatives and lost the same 1.75/wk. Really I dont know how people can afford it for any length of time, I'd have to win the lottery. Alot of people say they spend less because they don't eat out, I don't eat out and I spend $75/wk on groceries for 2 of us. I spent $86/wk on IP plus another $30- 50 on veggies and lean chicken & fish. So, bottom line, it is expensive and lucky those who can afford it, but it shouldn't be of any less value for those using alternatives. wow, that's the most I have ever said! tee hee
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

oh my point patns, you are a valued part of the forum, I appreciate all your input!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #14  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I also find it ridiculous to have been asked to leave the group for using alternative products...especially when you are such a positive, encouraging, and inspiring presence!

I have done all IP products, except for ~1.5 weeks where I went on travel and didn't get to my clinic in time to get my food order in. And the Alternative Product folks here were a TREMENDOUS help to me as I used EAS CC shakes and Pure Protein bars in the interim.

I can afford the products, and my coach has made it clear to me that in Maintenance when you have the Phase 1 days I am not required to continue using their products, but I can continue to come to the clinic as often as I want, for life, for maintenance, for no fee. She has been through the program herself and truly cares about her clients and is very knowledgable about all aspects of the protocol (not just ketogenic diets, but the alkaline basis/effects, product line and ingredients, etc). Her words "there is nothing magic about the supplements, they are vitamins", and is aware I buy OTC vitamins, she just asks to see the labels and make sure my basic nutrients are being met.

I feel more comfortable using IP products in these early phases with my coach as I know she has the background to inform me on my food choices and i dont have to do any more 'thinking' with my daily menu beyond which meat & veggie to have.

I also like the products, she has a great selection, no price gouging, and she also has different samples out every day and a swap basket if you want to try something new/want to trade something you don't like, and i have been given a few free packets on products i was curious about she hadnt tried before. She also holds workshops on the IP Phases on her own time.

I have read awful coaching stories on here that would also drive me to Alternatives, but I feel I get more than my money's worth with the quality and caring I get from my clinic and coach.

Last edited by LizRR; 07-19-2012 at 03:16 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #15  
Dieting Since Birth!

Hi Liz...sounds like your coach is wonderful and from all the reading I have done here on this forum, sounds like she is the exception to the rule!
Congratulations on your excellent success..!

Sweetsloan: You rock!
Cheers
Jake