Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #1  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Default Anyone on IP planning to have a baby?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone like me is on this diet and plan on having a baby.

My doctor told me she would like me to be at a weight of at least 180 pounds before having a baby.

Anybody is trying to have a baby while on this diet or planning to have a baby after reaching goal?

Please share your experience.

Thank you.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #2  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I am planning on trying for Baby #2 after I have maintained for a few months. I have just reached goal (home scale this morning said 142.6lb - usually ~3lb lighter than 'official' coach's scale). But since I am going on vacation (and so is my coach) and missing this WI I am sticking to Phase 1 over the next 2 weeks. Then will actually stay on Phase 2 for 3 weeks after that, as I'll be on business travel that last week and don't want to try and 'learn' the new Phase 3 meal plan on travel with limited kitchen resources.

I had an unknown pre-existing back condition when I got pregnant with my son, I was overweight and of course that coupled with the stress of the pregnancy aggravated the condition (spondylolysthesis). I now have 3 vertebrae out of alignment that creates 2 bulging disks, which aggravate 2 nerves running down my leg. I've thrown my back out 3 times severe enough for bed rest and had chronic back pain since. I knew if I wanted to have a healthy pregnancy I needed to do something as I was approaching the weight that I delivered my son at. Other pre-existing (known) conditions are a torn right ACL and plantar fasciitis in my right heel. The past few months all of these pains are GONE!

I want to maintain for a few months so that I can 'titrate' what my baseline maintenance calorie intake would be, since in pregnancy you only need to add an extra 300 calories in trimester 1, 400 calories in trimester 2, and 500 calories in trimester 3. Although, I just turned 38 on Monday - so my clock is ticking pretty loud! My son turned 2 on Monday as well (he was my 36 year old birthday present).

This diet is amazing - not only have I been PAIN FREE for months, but I have gone from a tight size 16 to a size 2. I actually bought size ONE pants yesterday, which are snug, but I know after my vacation they will fit perfect. I got too big for my britches and tried on size zero - those couldn't even fit over my hip bones, so I think I found my physical clothing limitation limit!

I am 100000% committed to this pregnancy and have not cheated on this diet, I have worked very hard to get to a point where I can have a healthy pregnancy for my baby and myself. If I had known how much damage my first pregnancy would have done to my body I would have done it much differently! Chronic back pain is awful and I don't wish it on anyone! The only remedy for me was to reduce the stress on my body, aka lose weight.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #3  
Restarting IP 100%

I am committed as well to have a healthy life and hopefully a healthy pregnancy, I am doing everything I can to achieve that.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a uterine septum removal surgery, unfortunately, with the stress of the surgery and the anti-biotics they gave me for after the surgery, it was impossible for me to stick to IP 100% as my stomach felt like someone was ripping the inside of me, so I had to eat yogurt and small snacks every time I felt the pain, so I gained about 7 pounds.

Anyway, I hope all the pain I went through would lead to healthy pregnancy soon, as my clock is ticking louder than yours (I am 39 and have never been pregnant before).

I am now 100% OP, but I find that I am not losing as fast as I did round one! But maybe now it is due to TOM being close, not sure.... All I want is to lose this weight fast cause I really don't have much time.

Last edited by sandralosingweight; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #4  
Restarting IP 100%

No one else?

If yes, please share your experience.

Thank you.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #5  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

I lost a pregnancy before starting the protocol (lost April 4th), I was at 202 when that happened, and was 17 weeks along, just shy of the 1/2 way mark. It was painful and traumatic and now I'm actually afraid of getting pregnant and having it happen again, i'm still paying medical bills from when THAT debacle happened. Anywho, I was in the "high risk" category for starting my pregnancy at 185 at the time. I'm 20 pounds lighter now than I was then, but I plan (like Liz) to get to goal and maintain a few months before trying again.
I'm on the Depo shot (which some say won't work on this diet) and know that when I go off it can take up to a year to start ovulating again, so timing is going to be nuts. My clock is only slightly ticking, I"ll be 28 in October.

Liz You must have the tiniest frame! I can't believe a size 2, and am so totally jealous! I am squeezing into 10's now, but don't think I'll be ready for them by Sturgis (less than a month, more like 3 weeks) unless I start working out to tone my stomach somewhat and my butt. I don't know what my physical size limitation is, it'd be interesting to find out for once. I'm between a "small" and "medium" frame (stupid tape measure was like 6"-6"1/4" depending on how I measured). I'd love to get into an 8, I don' think I'd ever be able to fit into a 6.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/255/175

Height: 5'7"

I also lost a pregnancy; February of 2011. And I continued to gain weight even after the miscarriage, I was 13 weeks along.

Husband I and went off birth control and had the what will be will be attitude. Well I got pregnant within two weeks of going off the pill- much sooner than we were ready for. Had a painful -sciatic nerve pain before I even knew I was pregnant- like can't sit, sleep, see a physical therapist and a chiropractor for weeks pain, and just generally uncomfortable pregnancy. But the worst was loosing control of my body. I was overweight before the pregnancy, about 230 and then gained 20 lbs just instantly when pregnant and then another 15 in the month and a half after pregnancy. So 35 lbs in about 4 months. Turns out PCOS. Went back on birth control and stopped gaining weight.

Since May of 2011 I have been on a quest to lose weight. Weight Watchers, South Beach, Paleo (this was the only one that kind of worked- but it takes a lot of preparation) otherwise nothing. It has been a rough year of feeling disconnected, mind-body-spirit.

IP has started to work. And I found out it is quite successful with PCOS patients. But it has been a rough road for me - all mentally.

I am quite scared of getting pregnant again. And the discussion is off the table until I am healthy. But even then we are on the fence now. Either way, I need to be healthy and loosing weight is the biggest step on that path.

Not quite "trying for a baby" but this is where I am at in that journey.
anitamarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #7  
Started IP: June 2012

S/C/G: 172/158/143

Height: 5'5"

Wow, LizRR, KayPix and anitamarlene, thank you for sharing your stories, I hope everything works out.

sandralosingweight, losing weight pre-pregnancy was part of my motivation, but nothing compared to these strong ladies. My motivation is two-fold: lose some weight so I am at a healthy weight so (theoretically) I can have a healthy baby, and get down to a weight so that I won't look so much like a blimp when I am pregnant (total vanity). I spoke to my coach a bit about it, and he said that this program really increases fertility, though it is not ideal for when pregnant. His wife did the program post-baby, and it worked for her, but there are special considerations if you are nursing.

I am not planning on trying for a baby while on the plan, and if it does happen, I plan to discuss in detail with my physician before continuing or phasing off.

Thank you for posting though, I'd love to hear what others have to say.
DenverGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaypix View Post
I lost a pregnancy before starting the protocol (lost April 4th), I was at 202 when that happened, and was 17 weeks along, just shy of the 1/2 way mark. It was painful and traumatic and now I'm actually afraid of getting pregnant and having it happen again, i'm still paying medical bills from when THAT debacle happened. Anywho, I was in the "high risk" category for starting my pregnancy at 185 at the time. I'm 20 pounds lighter now than I was then, but I plan (like Liz) to get to goal and maintain a few months before trying again.
I'm on the Depo shot (which some say won't work on this diet) and know that when I go off it can take up to a year to start ovulating again, so timing is going to be nuts. My clock is only slightly ticking, I"ll be 28 in October.

Liz You must have the tiniest frame! I can't believe a size 2, and am so totally jealous! I am squeezing into 10's now, but don't think I'll be ready for them by Sturgis (less than a month, more like 3 weeks) unless I start working out to tone my stomach somewhat and my butt. I don't know what my physical size limitation is, it'd be interesting to find out for once. I'm between a "small" and "medium" frame (stupid tape measure was like 6"-6"1/4" depending on how I measured). I'd love to get into an 8, I don' think I'd ever be able to fit into a 6.
Kaypix, I am so sorry about your loss...I cannot even begin to express my sympathy. I have all the hope and prayers for you to have a successful journey and beyond. You are such a positive, smart, motivating presence on the boards...I especially look forward to the 'Jolt' posts as I call them (coffee juiced up on caffeine).

And let me always preface that this is Old Navy size 2, notorious vanity sizing - but I have been wearing the same brand, store, cut of jeans so the downsizing is pretty accurate. And 'tiny frame' is not how i would ever have been described in my life. I have always been one of, if not the, heaviest girls in the room...there was a brief size 10-12 period that didnt last very long, I have pretty much been a lifelong size 14-16er, so this is very surreal to me.

Keep working to goal and you will surprise yourself as much as I have been...I truly never thought I would make it to this point. I had size 12 goal pants when I started, now I have size ONE goal pants (i can actually put them on...but a little too snug for comfort).
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitamarlene View Post
I also lost a pregnancy; February of 2011. And I continued to gain weight even after the miscarriage, I was 13 weeks along.

Husband I and went off birth control and had the what will be will be attitude. Well I got pregnant within two weeks of going off the pill- much sooner than we were ready for. Had a painful -sciatic nerve pain before I even knew I was pregnant- like can't sit, sleep, see a physical therapist and a chiropractor for weeks pain, and just generally uncomfortable pregnancy. But the worst was loosing control of my body. I was overweight before the pregnancy, about 230 and then gained 20 lbs just instantly when pregnant and then another 15 in the month and a half after pregnancy. So 35 lbs in about 4 months. Turns out PCOS. Went back on birth control and stopped gaining weight.

Since May of 2011 I have been on a quest to lose weight. Weight Watchers, South Beach, Paleo (this was the only one that kind of worked- but it takes a lot of preparation) otherwise nothing. It has been a rough year of feeling disconnected, mind-body-spirit.

IP has started to work. And I found out it is quite successful with PCOS patients. But it has been a rough road for me - all mentally.

I am quite scared of getting pregnant again. And the discussion is off the table until I am healthy. But even then we are on the fence now. Either way, I need to be healthy and loosing weight is the biggest step on that path.

Not quite "trying for a baby" but this is where I am at in that journey.
Again, my condolences on your loss. I truly commend you for taking this step, I have been learning how challenging pcos can be from other posters. This program is amazing, I never want to be inthat position of chronic pain again and am so thankful to have found IP and this forum, because I know my success so far has been helped by these boards and without losing this weight I know this next step would have been a very dangerous one.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #10  
Restarting IP 100%

Thank you very much ladies for sharing your experience.

Lately I am finding myself more and more on fertility forums than in here, but I am committed to lose as much weight as possible before I hopefully get pregnant.

You are all so amazing for answering.

xoxoxo
Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 264.5/185.3/150

Height: 5'1"

I am losing weight to do IVF. I am not allowed to do IVF until my BMI gets below 40 which means below 211 lbs. I am giving this diet six months for me to lose to 200 lbs, or less. I won't be able to start IVF for at least three months after that, which gives me three more months to lose weight on IP before starting IVF. I actually intend to stay on Phase 1 until I have a positive pregnancy test, or I lose all the weight I need to lose.

I have PCOS and blocked tubes (the blocked tubes came after an ectopic pregnancy - my only pregnancy - my husband and I have been trying to have a baby for 16 years.). IP is the first diet thing I have done that has ever helped with losing weight. The last time I lost a lot of weight (70 lbs.) I was exercising three hours a day. Changing my diet has always just made me hungry and irritable, but my emotions are far more even now than they have ever been.
KathrynRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #12  

Also, just an fyi that as this is a ketogenic diet, we are burning off primarily body fat (and a lot of it), we women store estrogen in our body fat, so as we burn it off the estrogen gets released in our bloodstream...this increases fertility and can cause BC to fail or cause an unexpected whoopsy. My coach and i discussed this possibility, as i stopped the pill in preparation for #2, she said if i did end up PG in Phase 1 i would still need to Phase off, but it would be a 2 week Phase 3 quick phasing.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #13  
Restart 12/29/13

S/C/G: 172/160/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
If I had known how much damage my first pregnancy would have done to my body I would have done it much differently! Chronic back pain is awful and I don't wish it on anyone! The only remedy for me was to reduce the stress on my body, aka lose weight.
Amen! I was 217 with my daughter and though I didn't have the pain you experienced, I knew feeling that uncomfortable and being that big again were NOT an option for me. Especially, since we'll be chasing around our toddlers when we're pregnant with #2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
I am committed as well to have a healthy life and hopefully a healthy pregnancy, I am doing everything I can to achieve that.
Good for you! You can do it! The reward will be so great

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitamarlene View Post
I am so, so sorry you had to experience a loss. You should be so proud of the hard work you are putting in now! I wish you the best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaypix View Post
I lost a pregnancy before starting the protocol (lost April 4th), I was at 202 when that happened, and was 17 weeks along, just shy of the 1/2 way mark. It was painful and traumatic and now I'm actually afraid of getting pregnant and having it happen again, i'm still paying medical bills from when THAT debacle happened. I was in the "high risk" category for starting my pregnancy at 185 at the time. I'm 20 pounds lighter now than I was then, but I plan (like Liz) to get to goal and maintain a few months before trying again.
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how painful that must have been, and the reminder every time a bill comes. It doesn't seem right to have to pay for something so painful. Errr, health care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
Also, just an fyi that as this is a ketogenic diet, we are burning off primarily body fat (and a lot of it), we women store estrogen in our body fat, so as we burn it off the estrogen gets released in our bloodstream...this increases fertility and can cause BC to fail or cause an unexpected whoopsy.
Oh boy, good to know!
RN4Babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #14  
On my way...

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Although I don't intentionally plan on any more children in the future, I just wanted to add a big UH HUH to the statement that this diet may increase fertility. My baby #3 was an unexpected surprise after 13wks and 41lbs lost on IP at the beginning of 2011 ;o) I hadn't been on any form of birth control for 10yrs and only had 2 kids to show for it (#1 took two years of concerted effort to conceive, #2 was a few months of planning).

FWIW, I was mid-200s for all 3 pregnancies with 3 healthy babies. I did struggle with my blood pressure all 3 times, but that could have been a problem to have at any weight.

(and...shhhhhh...I'm going to live vicariously through those that are planning babies. my crazy MORE BABIES! voice has been talking to me lately. I'm trying to shut her up...three is plenty with both DH and I working FT!)
phoxiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #15  
Started IP 6/9/12

S/C/G: 165/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
Anybody is trying to have a baby while on this diet or planning to have a baby after reaching goal?

Please share your experience.

Thank you.
This is a great thread! I started IP to get to a healthy weight for pregnancy. I'm 5'2" and have been overweight my entire adult life. My biggest fear is an unhealthy and complicated pregnancy.

I haven't experienced mind-blowing weight loss (~14 lbs), but I have really enjoyed my variety of eating in phase 1. I've had more vegetables and colors of the rainbow over the past 5 weeks than in my whole life. I'm definitely committed to get to a healthy weight and mindset before starting our family!

Good luck in your journey!

-Erin
efwilli is offline   Reply With Quote