Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 02:26 PM   #1  

Just getting this started...the other one went to 2 pages

------------------
Candice~the late night owl~
Old 02-10-2001, 06:08 AM   #2  

Hi Guys....Brain fog...I've forgotten all your zippy names and what you were talking about. Oh yeah...I'm a C...definitely. But it is hard to change. Meme...all that cooking. You are a good and generous person.

Couldn't post last nite cause my beloved was here against my will and without my approval while my 15 year old son tried to find a hotel they can stay at NEXT WEEK in Killington Vermont. This kind of last minute planning drives me nuts. I hate to see them packed up and ready to leave knowing they have nothing arranged, yet I need the break sooooo bad.

I lost 5 lbs on the soup diet. Almost wish I hadn't so I could abandon this one too. OF course eating soup consisting of chicken stock and a few veggies is going to produce weight loss. But, I am also tired and irritated and miserable and HUNGRY.
Here's my secret to this one tho. I eat only soup at lunch and dinner and let myself have a big serving of a snack kind of thing at nite...like popcorn, or pretzels or trail mix. ANd I try to keep myself from eating that as long as possible.
Well, it worked for a week. But it is grueling.
Tootie...your car sounds wonderful.
It was over 60 degrees here in NY today. And tomorrow will be back below freezing. This weather is not kind to us old FM girls.
Old 02-10-2001, 06:16 AM   #3  

Hi all. Well we are getting winter in Alberta. It is going to be 30 below tonight and has been just about as cold as that all day with the windchill factor. We have a little bit of snow as well, but supposed to keep up all weekend. Brrrr It is what makes us appreciate spring (lol). The cold doesn't really bother me, it is the humidity. Alberta is dry and cold - even the snow is usually dry, not the heavy wet stuff some of you get.

Candice - I run Norton's Antivirus on my machine, and it has picked up 3 virus's (all the same. From hahaha - snowwhite and the seven dwarfs - the real story.) Scared me to death first time I saw that, but I put it in quarantine and deleted it. The second time, it came twice in a row, so just did it - no problem - ran the live update and virus pro. and all was clear. Don't open anything from people I don't know. Just delete them - thank goodness don't get that many of them.

Well, I am down my 2 pounds for this week - that makes 13, so I am quite happy. Even ate cheesecake this week, so not to bad. The massage therapist told me today that my body felt more toned than usual, so the walking and the few exercises I have been doing, must be helping.

Meme - My goodness, sounds like you were cooking up a storm. Those poor people - always feel sad when I hear about things like that. Realize I am no so bad off. Hope you get a little rest - you sound like a real whirlwind.

Candice - about that test. I am a B, but I still have to finish everything I start. I think most of us are all three at times, but one is more predominant than the other.

Ally - How are you feeling? Better I hope. I hate it when I hurt. Had a Chiro appt. this morning, so got a few tender spots. He finds all the 'hotspots' in the back and presses on them. Not pleasant, but sure feels better after.

Phyllis - Sorry to hear that the arm is giving you pain, but sort of thought it might for a few days, as support is probably not as sturdy as before. Glad you got your car, AND a haircut. You must be feeling great right now.

Well ladies, I had better go make supper.
Old 02-11-2001, 11:52 PM   #4  

Just a quick note to tell you all I'm sick. Went to the Urgent Care Clinic yesterday and he said the next step to what I have is pneumonia. This crud/cold/whatever thing has gone into my lungs. I took my temp an hour ago and it was 103.4...it did that last night and when I get it down I start having chills. I just went and took a room temp. shower and some tylenol...hope that gets it down some. They gave me a steroid shot and an antibacterial shot and 2 meds. yesterday. This cough has about pulled me in two! The Dr. told me to go home and go straight to bed and stay there. Said this took a week or more to knock and with all the other stuff I have it may take my body longer...oh joy! Anyway...thought you all might miss me...I may not feel like posting again for a few days! This is hard...sitting here now...my body HURTS!

MEME
Old 02-12-2001, 01:58 AM   #5  

Meme...Take care of yourself. Isn't is just the pits that we feel tolerably rotten on a daily basis and then get something worse on top of it? BUT...I always hope for a severe illness that might make me lose weight. Always have to find the bright side.
Yesterday I went to a game with my son and drank 2 beers in the bar we met in. Then had grapefruit juice on the bus...and I got and still have deadly heartburn.
Get this.....these men I exposed my son to on the bus??? I work with some, one is a principal of a Catholic school. They were without spouses and they were wild and crazy and they gave my 15 year old son and his friend beer and a shot of tequilla. Arrrrrrrgh. Men are children. ANd my child has been on the couch all day. He doesn't know it but he has a hangover.
You got a box lunch on the trip and I could only eat a little potato salad before I got heartburn and couldn't eat any more. Also a good diet technique.
Yes Tootie....this is the infamous Soup Diet. Some use cabbage, I find the smell obnoxious. I use chicken soup stock as the base and just cut up raw veggies and add chicken from a rotisserie chicken I got at the store. Actually it is tasty...but very low in calories. The diet says you eat soup at every meal and raw veggies or fruit. One night you eat a potato, one night brown rice, and on Friday....STEAK. It is a fad diet...cutting calories dangerously. But I want to see some weight come off.
I would like to use the ZONE for keeping off pounds, but I wasn't losing any on it.
Hope you all had a nice weekend...cept for Meme who hopefully is in bed.
Old 02-13-2001, 07:48 AM   #6  

Got my outside Christmas Decorations down..the ground thawed just enough to pull the candy canes and flowers out! I still have my snowmen out in the living room..I like looking at them but will put them away soon...when the mood strikes me!LOL

Meme...ohhhhh you poor thing...I ache just thinking of you...I fever makes me hurt so bad I just want to die! Luck this year so far!!!!!

Anne....So you are getting some cold..hope you can stay warm up there! Your weigh of eating really seems to be working for you! Keep it up that is what it is all about!

Ally..your weigh of eating doesn't sound very healthy to me..but if it works and you can keep it off then you go girl! Do you feel better on this program???????

------------------
Old 02-13-2001, 08:27 PM   #7  

Hello fibrogals. How are you all doing? It is really very cold here - about 20 below zero. Just a tad cool, but a least no wind and no snow. Supposed to warm up tomorrow and have some snow, so I will be hurting. My right arm and shoulder have been giving me trouble this week, and the rest of me just feels like well, flu-like, I guess. Just achy.

Candice - good for you getting in your Christmas stuff. It was so warm here in January that we got ours down just after the New Year. Usually that doesn't get done until the spring (lights that is). How are you feeling these days?

Meme - Hope you are feeling better. I suppose it is going to take a while. Nothing like being sick, to make the FM flare up as well, and laying around hurts the arthritis, so this is a nowin situation all around!

Ally - That diet sounds terrible. If you don't enough food, your body begins to think it is starving and will go into that mode and lower the metabolism even more. I am still doing well on The Formula - I get to eat lots and as long as it is balanced the insulin stays level (no surges) and you lose weight. I can go on the second part of the diet, which allows more high glycemic foods, like pasta, rice and potatoes etc., but weight loss will be a little slower, so will stick with the one I have been doing. It is easy and it is just normal food.

Phyllis - You must be loving that car I guess it is your freedom. How are you feeling now after babysitting? I sure hope better.

Well I have to go get ready to go walking. After that I want to go into Red Deer and get some groceries (cheaper there than at the lake, that is for sure).

Oh yes, on this weekend, we have a Family Day long weekend (only in Alberta). This is the weekend that we have the Polar Bear Dip, which means, some idiots jump into the lake. It used to always happen on New Years Day, but for the past 4 years, the lake has not been frozen enough, so they changed it to February - almost guaranteed to be frozen. They cut a huge hole in the ice and then these people jump in. I am sure my heart would stop. They have a hot tub right there, so as soon as they get out, they go straight to the tub.

Have a good day everyone

Old 02-14-2001, 06:48 AM   #8  

Hi guys. It is quiet in here...hope that means no one is having a pig out and not telling me about it.
Meme----Hope things are a little better...the sun is staying out longer, spring is on the way.
Candice and Happy....Yes, my diet is unhealthy. Well, not really. I mean it is not totally different than the Zone...this is chicken soup with loads of veggies in it. I have found that eating a big bowl of cooked broth and veggies gives me the impression that I have had a big meal. Believe me, I sneak in a few spoons of cottage cheese, today a piece of Sunflower Sesame bread. But what seems to keep me on target is that I allow myself a "real" snack. I have some trail mix or popcorn or a handful of nacho chips and salsa. Not Zone snacks (fruit and a piece of turkey). I have got to find a healthy way to incorporate real food in with healthy eating. I am an all or nothing person. I can't have one piece of pizza and a salad. Have to have 5 pieces. Or I will just have salad. Either pigging out or starving.
BUT this weather does have something to do with this. I lost 14 lbs last spring. I suspect I will do it again. It is just that I have to be prepared for what happens when winter comes again.
Christmas decorations. Oh that makes me feel so far ahead of the game cause I untaped a bunch of candy canes that were on my front porch LAST week....
Old 02-14-2001, 11:13 PM   #9  

Boy is this board ever getting slow! Where in the world have you gone Phyllis? I know Meme is sick and Candice must be sleeping at night now. Ally is here thank goodness. I feel great today. Only my arms ache a little, but not much. Just got back from walking, and I walked 2 miles this morning. That is darn good for me. It's been a long time since I could walk, but with the help of my Chiro, my breathing has definitely improved, from 1 year ago.

Ally, if your diet works for you and you are getting enough veggies and fruit, go for it. It just sounds like I would be forever hungry, and I hate that. Then I want to go on a binge and everything I can find lol.

Meme - Sure hope you are feeling better.

The weather is wonderful again - for this morning - was 24 degress this morning, but by this afternoon it will drop to 12 below, so it is shortlived - however, by the weekend it will be 32 so can't complain - much anyway

I want to wish you all a great Valentine's Day. Even if you don't have a sweetie, go out and buy yourself something nice, and be nice to yourself - have a nice warm bath with some great stress reducing bathsalts or something.
Old 02-15-2001, 03:23 AM   #10  

Phyllis, you are to funny That ending was hilarious. You know what - I have been on The Formula for 1 month now, and have lost 13 pounds. Not only that, but I have twice the energy I had and the exhaustion is going. I find I am up at 6:30 and stay up until 11:30 or 12:00 (pm guys) with no trouble - most days. It has to be this diet! I can think of nothing else, because I am not taking anything new. Before this, I was always so tired I just wanted to sleep and could hardly move around and everything hurt 10 times worse. I still have a problem with the arthritis, but the FM seems less. My breathing is steadily improving, in part because of the Chiro, but some must be the diet as well.

Did you know that 1 slice of white bread breaks down to 2 TBSP of sugar in your body? Same with potatoes, rice and pasta. Break down to pure sugar (glucose).

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for the laugh Phyllis - enjoyed your post - even if you sounded like everybody's Mom.

Anne
Old 02-15-2001, 05:42 AM   #11  

Just go back to the area you would normally click on to get here and read The Valentine's Day Story. Just posted it.
Old 02-15-2001, 01:53 PM   #12  

Hello

Anne..you are doing so good!

Toots...everything you said was the truth!

Meme...get better..miss your sense of humor!

Ally....are you still hungry!LOL Your diet is making me hungry!

Lucky....you are awol!!!!!!

Lots of anxiety again.....just don't know where it comes from!

------------------
Old 02-16-2001, 04:56 AM   #13  

Where is everyone?????????????

MEME and Anne...That was really me..I'm just one hot Momma!LOL So what do you gals look like!

Anxiety is very high lately....gotta go try and run the sweeper..hubby broke some glass yesterday by the fridge!!!!!! I need help with this house...thanks goodness no one ever comes over! Don't think I would let them in!

------------------
Old 02-16-2001, 06:33 AM   #14  

My work buddies used to call me the Soup ****. Yes, Tootie...I have lost weight on this before.
I don't mind you giving me the motherly lecture on health. I miss my mother so it is nice to have someone take that kind of interest.
I almost thought about lying and saying that I had gone to Sugar Busters, but part of my eating disorder is denial. I can't deny that the scale is what moves me to diet right now.
I learned most of my dieting from my own mother who did every diet to maintain her 125lbs til she was in her mid 50s. Then her beloved hit the road and she said...."Oh yeah..no more diets for me." She predicted she would blimp out in no time, but she ended up weighing about what I do now and just settled there.
But it is probably why I have this poor self-image. My mother did consider this weight to be a blimp after having lived her life with constant compliments for her nice shape. I had those for a long time too.

It has been so hard to lose control over so many things with this darn fibro. Had to take a less stressful job, had to lay off doing homework for/with my kids, cleaning my house, lawn work etc. All those things I took pride in accomplishing. When I started gaining weight, it was the last straw.

So, I want control over weight again. The **** with housework, with kids, with my lawn. I want to wear my size 12 jeans again. Not the 8s I have way in the back of the closet. Just the 12s.

I know, I know. Get my priorities straight.

But, dont you HATE it when you are going down the aisle of the grocery store and on one side is a guy you went out with in your thin days, and on the other side is a woman you went to high school with. AND YOU WANT TO DISAPPEAR!!!

ANd you know this also happens when I am in my sweat pants and my son's Cleveland Indians jacket.

Arrrrrrrrrgh. I feel like taking out my mutual funds portfolio and saying...."look, I'll be able to retire early". Instead, I stand there and look at an ex cheerleader with the same **** leg muscles I have never formed and my ex boyfriend who still looks 20. That little butt in Levis.

Too much emphasis on appearance. I know.
Old 02-16-2001, 11:57 AM   #15  

Hmmmmmmmmmm.if we were all blind we wouldn't notice the other stuff! But..Let's face it this is a sighted world! I hate it too! That is why I don't go anywhere anymore..I stress out over getting ready and my Fibro flares!LOL Just too much trouble and my house well.... That is why I don't have company anymore.... too much stress and this old body can't take it!

------------------
Closed Thread