Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #1  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Default overhaul/ baby steps.

i appologize in advance if this seems needs/repetative. but i am still having issues. MANY issues. i am lacking motivation/determination/ability to stay out of the fridge.

july, is a hard month. i also STILL have an inclination that i am eating too low/missing something. i know my meal plans look good, i know what i SHOULD be eating, but i always swerve.

how do you stay on plan? what do you tell yourself when you find yourself head in the fridge, contemplating the next thing you're going to eat?

how do you keep motivated, even after having lost a great amount?

what do you say to the diet police?

july is a VERY busy month, and it's like THE FOOD WONT END. i literally, feel like food is being shoved down my throat.

i feel unhealthy, unmotivated, and disgusting. my birthday is in 5 days, and i haven't felt this disgusted with myself since ...well ever. even +80 lbs, i was not this disgusted with myself.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/218.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Well, I don't know how to answer your questions, but I just wanted to say that you shouldn't beat yourself up so much. You've done so amazingly well to lose so much weight & should feel so good about yourself. You have also managed to catch your regain before it got out of hand, which is also something to feel proud of!
Northernrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/163/130

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Northernrose you have done great.

I did stumble with July 4th and I'm just now getting back on the wagon. When I fall off, it is for quite a while. I'm trying to use that as motivation to not fall off the wagon again. Atleast not for 10 days!!
Jackie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and say "hey, dummy, you lost 95 pounds already, you know what to do". Then the next meal is on plan. And lately I have had to white knuckle on the carbs.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #5  
Dedicated Yogi

toobig you always have such wise suggestions.
i used to cheat, then white knuckle a couple of days, and then continue.

but now, it's like- every single day is a day when food is literally being shoved down my throat, a comment is being made, etc.

i literally, had to wear a dress, the dress, that i had to get taken in 4 times, my beautiful gown. i saw pics of it from last night, and i look disguisting, bloated, my face looks far bigger. i tell myself that i am going to white knuckle through it, and then i find the nearest baked good and it's game over.

like, i come home from work and go to cook healthy dinner, and end up eating something rediculous while cooking dinner.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Well you've made some big life changes in the last few months so you probably just haven't had enough time and space to settle into a new healthy routine. Not steaming ahead to where you want to go or even a slight regain, isn't the same as sliding back to where you were. This is one of those times to be kind to yourself and have faith in yourself that you can create a new and likely improved routine. Sure, if not on track we really shouldn't have a treat but punishing won't do any good, it's affirmation time. You can do this, you have proved it, you haven't failed but your habits need a bit of tweaking. I think it's all quite normal in the midst of big changes.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #7  
"I AM..."

S/C/G: 295/285.7/150

Height: 5'9" - Reset 1-24-2014

I don't think anyone can give you one set piece of advice that will make the process easier for you. Losing weight has to become a life style. It has to become your own drive - your own motivation.

Here are some things I know:

Drinking extra water sometimes makes you feel sick, but it will also fill you up. Put some crystal light on the go in it if you have to - if you are craving sweet stuff this has been a life savior for me. Let it go down and get into your system. You will feel the craving melting away. Also I think eating every two or three hours has been the kicker for me. There is never a time that my blood sugar has a chance to dip which usually causes those moments of looking in the fridge and making bad choices.

Get into a routine that you can follow and no matter what you feel, think or want to do do not detour from that routine. Remember that you won't feel like you are feeling in 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Watch your impulses.

Empty your fridge of ANYTHING that can throw you off track. I know its a hard thing to do but if the tempation is not in front of you - you will make better choices.

You may not look at my stats right now and think I know what I am talking about but I had been at my goal weight for over 10 years. I made BAD choices in the last 3 and now I am having to start all over but I am starting over with a whole new attitute and new approach. Changing my lifestyle and my bad habits. All of those things that you mentioned. I have felt them too. Whats different is when you really really want something then you will go for it and not let your inner voice (the devilish one) get the best of you.

You have to take this one minute, one hour, one day at a time. If you screw up just accept it. Don't beat yourself, but do not give yourself permission to keep screwing up. Jump back on immediatly and dont give the slip up one more thought.

Good Luck

JO
sept2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9''

Something I always think back to was something said on this site. You have to take it one good decision at a time. I have found even with all of the weight I have already lost that the decisions don't get easier! We are all in it with you, good luck!
angie7896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #9  

I hope you are having a good day. Are you having trouble with food pushers?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Two things that help me with motivation:

1. Weigh myself every day
2. Start the day with exercise

I'm still prone to lots of excess nibbling and snacking, but I find I don't have massive pig-outs anymore unless I plan for them.

If you find yourself head-first in the fridge, the only thing to do is to shut it and find a substitute activity. Perhaps you can prepare a list of such activities and post it -- well, on your fridge.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 07-17-2012 at 07:31 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #11  
Dedicated Yogi

hey chickies, thank you for your kind, thoughtful advice.

in theory- i know all of these strategies. i have implemented all of them successfully in the past- from emptying the fridge of all "bad" foods, to sticking post it notes all over my apartment, to going out for walks in order to remove my head from the fridge, to simply throwing away whatever i am about to binge on. healthy or not.

the issues are, are that i am currently living at home (with my mother her husband (not my father), and my very very russian grandmother who is visiting for 3 weeks). i am, constantly over stimulated. i have 0 privacy, and even if i lock myself up in my room, people like to walk in and ask me what's wrong. i am not in a position to ask for privacy, as this is somethign that is simply NOT understood.

i am around food pushers, and my mother complaining how much weight she has LOST because i am in the house. simultaneously, i deal with the diet police. it is a negative, and unhealthy atmosphere. i am aware of this, but unfortunately i am unable to change it for the next few months (i am currently working a 6 week contract, at which point i will continue my job search, once i get something more permanent, it is apartment hunting time). unfortunately, i live in toronto- and the rental rates here are EXTREMELY high. we're talking 1,200$ a month for a dinky one bedroom.

given this negative attitude in the house, i do not feel comfortable making my usual post it notes on the fridge/ cabinets as i am sure they will invite further comments, which literally just make me want to go postal on people.

i have maintaned my yoga practice, and still, to date get comments of "oh you're not going to yoga AGAIN are you?" it's like there is every single excuse in the book to make me skip my practice. if i go for a run, or step out for a walk, i get questioned, and mocked. this is not healthy, and very very negative.

due to this circumstance i have lost my happiness, and i needed that happiness in order to be successfull.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 8"

(((hugs)))
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #13  

Height: 5'4

I was actually just talking with someone else about this the other day so perhaps it will help you...

I know you have seen all of these strategies before and have used them in the past, but now you're struggling with your motivation. It's not the "how do I do it" that is tripping you up right now, but more the "why do I WANT to get back on track?" that you're having issues with.

When I am indulging a bit too much or giving myself a few too many excuses and start to see a bit of an upward swing on the scale I make my own motivation. For me, knowing that I have an event coming up that I need to be in shape for keeps me accountable.

I go out and find things to shoot for. One huge factor is that my fiance lives in another state and I only get to see him every 5-6 weeks on average so that in and of itself gives me something to always look good for. After all, he only sees me every 6 weeks and knowing that he's going to see me naked is a huge motivator! He loved me just as much at 40 pounds heavier, but I still try to always look my best for him. Not only that, but those are the times we see friends and go out doing fun things, so there are always pictures being taken and I don't want to see them and think "Ugh, I look gross!"... I want to think about how much fun we were having.

Speaking of pictures, there have been several times I have signed up to do a photo shoot! Yep, boudior, fitness, you name it. That stuff is EXPENSIVE, so booking an appointment and paying a deposit really helps keep me on track because it would be a huge waste of money if I didn't. It might seem self-indulgent, but really, weight loss and maintenance is on some level anyway.

Other things my friends and I have done are sign up for races where you have to pay to be on a team, sign up for Spartan Races, Mud runs, Tough Mudders, etc.

Studies have shown that having people training with you, AND having monetary consequences to your actions are hugely rewarding motivators.

Again, I'm sort of rambling but my point is that if you can't seem to find the motivation to really stick with it, MAKE some motivation for yourself. Do something scary! Sign up for a fitness competition, photo shoot, mud run, charity race... anything. Your routine right now isn't working for you, so shake up the routine.

Last edited by JossFit; 07-17-2012 at 10:55 AM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #14  

Its hard to be under the microscope. I feel you on the food pushers. Sometimes I have asked people "Will it make you feel better if I eat___?" And belive it or not sometimes people say yes! Good luck and try to stay calm.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #15  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Oh goodness. I realized you were living under more stress but I didn't realize your weight was such a big focal point to your family. That is quit odd that they'd knit-pick you so badly. I hope you can find a way to separate yourself emotionally/mentally from that stress.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote