100 lb. Club - Nervous eating

View Full Version : Nervous eating

muelledk
04-02-2003, 11:22 AM
I've just got to know if anyone else has the problem of eating when they start to feel nervous or anxious about something? :stress:

I didn't think that I was nervous about anything, but the uncontrollable eating was because I made a cursed gooey butter cake, and just can't resist it. However, when I was laying in bed last night not sleeping for the fourth night in a row, I realized that I haven't been preparing properly for the state teacher certification test that I have on Saturday (the one that cost me $350 dollars, and if I don't pass have to pay for again, so I can't bomb :bomb: ). Now that I think about it, I think that this has been the root of my problem. I think that the nerves are really getting to me, but I just haven't been admitting it.

I really just wanted to see if I am alone in the problem of stress eating, without realizing I am being stressed.

glynne
04-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Hi Denise!

You are definitly not alone with the stress eating.

Sometimes, I want to munch so bad, it is almost like what I would imagine wanting a fix of drugs is like. I am all nerved up and anxious until I munch then it is better. I am trying to find some other way to deal with these anxious times.

Good luck with your test on Saturday. Hang in there!!

Take care ~ glynne (Gayle)

Izzybeff
04-02-2003, 01:42 PM
I totally understand.. can totally sympathize!! I eat when i'm nervous, depressed, sad, happy.. You name it.. Its a reason to eat...

I snack especially when i'm nervous. Its like the crunching sound gives me something to focus on besides whatever i'm worry about...

Good luck on your test!

BA99TJ
04-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Food is my answer for every emotion Denise.. so hang in there.. try reaching for good choices like carrots and other veggies.. and GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TEST!

Inca's Momma
04-02-2003, 03:35 PM
I am the Queen of Nerves. Everything makes me anxious and food is my comfort. Since I started taking anxiety medication I've been doing a little better, but anytime something bothers me even if I don't know exactly what it is I can't sleep and I eat. You'll do fine on your test but I know this won't calm you down :p Just try to not cave in and have the junk food and you'll make it through this.

Goddess Jessica
04-02-2003, 06:13 PM
Denise,

When I'm nervous, everything goes in my mouth, my fingernails, food, I even used to chew my hair as a kid! I'm a classic freudian "oral" person.

Hardly anything seems to help either! I mean, I've tried bubble baths and music, candles, soothing tunes. NADA! Still chewing off my nails!

Only two things that really get it out of my system:
-A good hard sweat! After the elliptical machine, everything seems a lot better.
-A visit to the ocean. For me, the ocean signifies that life goes on no matter what. And my problems aren't as big as the ocean. The ocean doesn't care that I paid my cable bill a month late. The ocean doesn't care that I can't remember philosophy definitions.

I hope that helps!

gonzostar
04-02-2003, 09:55 PM
when i get nervous or stesses, i chew off my fingernails.. and when they're gone i eat everything in sight!

mthrgoos68
04-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Denise,

I know what you mean, I never even realize that I'm stressed until the anxiety attacks start and I have to stop and think about what I'm stressed out about. I found that for me, cutting out the caffeine made a huge difference and also helped me to eat less and sleep better. Of course with a big test coming up, it probably wouldn't be the best time to try something like that.

Good luck on your test!! I'm sure you'll do great!

bella23
04-02-2003, 11:34 PM
OMG, I am at a point now where I want to stress eat so bad!! I have had about 3 cheeze its, and I swithced to pickles. I just want to eat the whole box of cheeze its!!! My car is now fixed but going to cost me $500.00 more then I figgured. It sucks, I need the car but don't have the money.

But the good thing is I can just ask for help, being that my husband is gone, the gov. will help me. I just have to work up the nerve to call them. I just hate to ask anyone for anything!

Now to end my rant, I know what your feeling!

Bella23

irishwings
04-03-2003, 11:44 AM
You are definitely not alone in this! I do crave junk food when I'm stressed or anxious, and usually I don't even realize that I am stressed out until I start eating. Then, a box of crackers later, it dawns on me.

But then again, I think I turn to food no matter what emotion is going on. . .sometimes I just want the taste of a food even if I'm completely happy.

Best wishes on the test ~ you'll do great!

:)

muelledk
04-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Thank you all, it is good to know I'm not alone.

Jessica, after my recent trip to So. Cal. I can see how the ocean helps you out!!!! I just wish I lived closer, and not in the middle of the darned desert. I get your point, though, and think that my garden may be my bit of relief.