Weight Loss Support - Honest opinions wanted (clothes question)

freelancemomma
07-15-2012, 09:43 AM
So what do you think? Is it appropriate or not for a woman my age (55) to wear those bra-like sports tops when jogging outside? My husband says yes, my kids say no. Please be completely honest. I don't think my body looks bad in them as I have a pretty flat/firm belly, but would I look silly by virtue of being 55?

I'm having trouble being objective these days because I'm going through a bit of a midlife clothes crisis, buying and wearing stuff like fuchsia skinny jeans and high heels (for the first time since my 20s -- I'm 5'11"). Yeah, I've gone a little crazy after losing 55 pounds last year.

Freelance

2annabelle
07-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Congratulations on your 55lb weight loss! At 5'11", I bet you look FABULOUS at your current weight! I say wear what you want to, and what you're comfortable in, as long as it's appropriate for the occasion. Wear the jogging bra when you're jogging or to the gym, but please not to the grocery store! Depending on how old your kids are (15yr old girls particularly!), you're going to embarass them no matter what you wear...just because they find everything their parents do is embarassing!

High heels are always in fashion...but not with a jog bra lol!

bargoo
07-15-2012, 10:05 AM
I am not sure what kind of a top you are talking about , but I say at your age and having lost what you have. Go for it ! Listen to your husband.

Hotaruchan
07-15-2012, 10:08 AM
I think it's a matter of what you're most comfortable in...so long as you're not having major wardrobe malfunctions and flashing people your ta-tas, you're jogging, not sitting down to dinner with them; if they don't like what you're wearing you'll be gone in a flash anyway. I'm sure that me in a bikini is more likely to make people lose their lunches than you in a sports bra given your height and weight, and I've gone out in public in a two piece before.

If you think that it would be comfortable workout gear, get a nice cheap to mid-range one instead of a high-end one, try it out, and if you like wearing it, go back and get more. You've put a lot of work into yourself if you've managed to lose 55 lbs; you've clearly got it, so a little flaunting here and there isn't going to hurt anyone.

gardenerjoy
07-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I'd be more concerned about displaying 55-year old upper arms than belly. But I wouldn't worry about it while jogging. I don't go sleeveless to dinner parties, but I certainly do at the pool and in the garden and exercising.

I'd trust your husband's opinion. You might also see if you can find a sales lady or personal shopper to develop a relationship with. I have a woman at our closest Nordstrom's who has been very helpful as I've adjusted to what my new body looks best in.

Good for you for your weight loss!

LockItUp
07-15-2012, 11:00 AM
I certainly don't think your age has anything to do with it. Go for it! If you have the body for it, who cares what age you are!?

TiffNeedsChange
07-15-2012, 11:06 AM
I've seen women your age and older running in sports bras, sometimes it can look a tad out if the ordinary but as long as your shorts aren't from the 80's you should be fine! If a sports bra is more comfortable to run in then go for it.

JossFit
07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I think that the biggest factor is your own comfort. Are you going to feel self-conscious wearing a sports bra? If so, it might effect your workout. If not, it may actually make you feel cooler/more comfortable while working out and help you continue to kick butt!

It's totally up to you! If you are going out running WITH your kids it might be a factor, but your workouts are YOU time, so do what you feel comfortable with.

JossFit
07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
If you have the body for it, who cares what age you are!?

Even if you DON'T "have the body for it". How many people get out there and make the effort at all? Far too few these days. I say wear a muumuu, spandex booty shorts or anything in between whether you weigh 100 pounds or 700 pounds. :)

guacamole
07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
I agree that it is all about what empowers you and will help you get the best workout. That being said, I have seen women jogging in all types of sports bras, and some look more appropriate than others. I have seen some women jogging in bras that are clearly meant to be seen outside - there is no "side boob" showing and the front rises up more like a tank top. I have seen other women jogging in what appears to be a bikini top or a regular bra, and my initial reaction is that they are outside in their underwear!

I personally would not jog outside in a sports bra (I didn't at age 22 and won't at age 42 either), but I dress more modestly/conservatively than a lot of people, so I am not the average opinion to go by. I also have massive boobs, and would probably injure myself and those around me even in the most supportive jogging bra! :stars: Unleashing the girls in a running situation could be dangerous.

Certainly, don't let your age be a factor. Go for what feels most comfortable for you.

freelancemomma
07-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Annabelle: You're right about teenage girls. My daughter is 16 and her embarrassment/disapproval of me is at an all-time high.

Hotaruchan: My ta-tas are not big enough to flop around. They were a respectable C when I weighed 195, but now they're a small B. I've already bought two of those tops (each reduced from $48 to $10) at an upscale fitness store. I think they look fine and they're super-comfortable. The way they're designed, I think it's clear they're meant to be worn as tops, not just bras.

Gardenerjoy: I like your idea of developing a relationship with a salesperson. My upper arms don't look too bad now, though at my higher weight I was certainly self-conscious about them and didn't do sleeveless.

JossFit: Love your attitude! And yes, it's been very hot around here lately, and staying cool is my main reason for wanting to wear these tops.

F.

kelly315
07-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I think you can pull it off, and what's the worst that can happen? Just do what you feel comfortable with (but don't let discomfort hold you back)

LockItUp
07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Even if you DON'T "have the body for it". How many people get out there and make the effort at all? Far too few these days. I say wear a muumuu, spandex booty shorts or anything in between whether you weigh 100 pounds or 700 pounds. :)

I totally agree. I should have really worded it to say that if you feel good in it, go for it. Whether or not some one "has" the body for it is totally subjective anyway.

Arctic Mama
07-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Wear what you are comfortable working out in. I am young but sill wouldn't wear a sports bra without a top over it. My step mom wears bikinis and sports bras out all the time, and she is in her fifties. Personal comfort with skin and exercise preferences are what is important and if you don't mind, do it.

As for me, I'll keep putting tops on over, thanks ;). But if I didn't live in such a cold climate I might change my mind!

JohnP
07-15-2012, 01:03 PM
My tentative response is if you're comfortable than go for it. To be sure I would need some pictures. :D

lin43
07-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Wear what you are comfortable working out in. I am young but sill wouldn't wear a sports bra without a top over it. My step mom wears bikinis and sports bras out all the time, and she is in her fifties. Personal comfort with skin and exercise preferences are what is important and if you don't mind, do it.

I agree completely. I've always been a more modest dresser than my older sister. My husband always encourages me to wear more revealing clothes; he says I dress like an old lady. But it's all about what WE feel comfortable wearing. At 48, my sister feels comfortable in clothes that would feel too young to me, and I'm 44. But you know what? She looks great in them (and she weighs more than I do).

Freelance, at your height & weight, if you feel comfortable in that sports bra top, I say "go for it!" I wouldn't think twice if I saw someone 55 or even older jogging in a sports bra. In fact, there are a few women at my gym who seem about that age that wear a sports bra, and they look good.

lin43
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
My tentative response is if you're comfortable than go for it. To be sure I would need some pictures. :D

:rofl:

LaurieDawn
07-15-2012, 08:22 PM

This is exactly how I feel! I wear "form fitting" shorts to the gym. If I wear looser shorts, my legs will rub together and will chafe and I will not be able to exercise the next day. It's not a fashion statement. It's functional. I do wear looser shirts, however, to hide the tightness of the shorts.

Fashion or function - your body, your comfort, your choice. I, too, have teenage children, and am firm in my belief that my very existence embarrasses them. It's them who are being unreasonable.

tinneranne2
07-15-2012, 08:34 PM
My feeling is this: inappropriate workout clothes are ones that you feel uncomfortable in or do not facilitate working out. I know there are some women who actively look sexy while they work out, I'm not one of them and I don't feel that I need to be.

Alternatively, step in front of the mirror in your prospective workout clothes and jump up and down vigorously. If nothing bounces that you feel shouldn't bounce, jog on!

LaurieDawn I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has the thigh-rubbing issue. I've found that yoga pants, when bought in the right size, are a good middle of the road compromise between super tight shorts and ones that leave me feeling physically uncomfortable due to friction.

CanadianMomma
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
When my mother was around 45 she lost a bunch of weight and went through a clothing style change herself. I remember being semi-mortified when she went outside to wash our car in a bikini haha. As I got older I realized what the weight loss had meant to her and now I'm proud of her for wanting to wear what she wanted to wear, regardless of what the rest of us felt.

So I say go for it!

linJber
07-16-2012, 09:01 AM
First - be comfortable. Second - no one who sees you run by knows your age! The type of sports bra you described is appropriate to be worn without anything over it. Go for it. Congratulations.

Lin

freelancemomma
07-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, I did it! Went for my morning run wearing the outfit below. (Thanks to everyone for your "go for it" feedback.) I felt a WEE bit uncomfortable, mixed in with some feelings of empowerment. And I figure a little discomfort can be good for psychological growth. Or maybe I'm getting nuttier than I think...

envelope
07-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Freelancemama - Congratulations on stepped a bit out of your comfort zone! You look great, and I would not think twice if we passed each other jogging on the trail...although I might be thinking how awesome you look!

astrophe
07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
On the thigh rubbing -- body glide is my friend!

http://www.drugstore.com/bodyglide-the-original-anti-chafing-stick/qxp156267?catid=184117

On the bra top -- where whatever makes you happy and comfortable while jogging. You look fine.

A.

guacamole
07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
You sure don't look like you are in your 50s! I think you fit in with the "jogging scene" just fine in what you are wearing! You look great!

Only Me
07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
That looks perfectly appropriate for going out for a run. I wish I could find tops like that in my bra size. What's inappropriate is wearing an extra layer and over heating just to appease teens, who seem to find everything you do embarrassing anyway. You'd fit right in at any summer race I've ever gone to; if anything, your shorts aren't short enough for running. ;)

krampus
07-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Rock that, freelancemomma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look great!

HungryHungryHippo
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
That bra top looks completely appropriate on you!
Here's a picture of a 73-year-old weight lifter rocking one--and I only WISH I looked this good!!
http://a.abcnews.com//images/US/ht_ernestine_shepherd_100427_mn.jpg

lin43
07-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Freelance, you look AWESOME---and at least ten years younger than you are.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Oh, I think that top is cute; too bad it didn't come with some matching tights! Boy, your DD would have a fit, for sure! :lol: BTW, you look awesome and very trim! :bravo:

Hungry ~ wow, she IS amazing; I wouldn't mine looking like her at all!

freelancemomma
07-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Boy, your DD would have a fit, for sure!

When she saw me go out this morning, she gave me an exaggerated version of her MOOOOM/eyeroll combo. If I tried to please her, I wouldn't get much living done!

F.

4star
07-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I think you look great! If I looked that good, I wouldn't think twice about stepping out for a run in that outfit! Rock on Freelancemomma!

linJber
07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Freelance - you look fantastic. I'm glad you decided to go for it.

As for your daughter - as they get older, they roll the eyes way less. But I'll always live with the fact that my DD thinks I have no fashion sense. I texted her a photo of some cute flat canvas shoes I bought recently. She texted back asking what kind of socks I planned to wear with them. I'm thinking that only an idiot would wear socks with them as they are clearly meant to be worn bare-footed. Then it hit me - she actually thought I was going to wear socks with them! So I texted back, "Black - mid calf. Is that OK?"

On one hand, they grow up and become our friends. On the other, we will always be the mom who embarrassed them just by being alive for 10 years or so. I have one friend whose daughter was embarrassed just by the fact that she was born since that meant all her friends knew her parents "did it!" We howled for months over that one! When my own daughter was a teenager I figured I had done my job on any given day if I got at least one eye roll. Don't let the eye rolls stop you.

Lin

JohnP
07-16-2012, 08:58 PM
My personal final judgment based on pictures is that you are A-OK to wear that outfit.:D

LaurieDawn
07-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Freelance - you look fantastic. I'm glad you decided to go for it.

As for your daughter - as they get older, they roll the eyes way less. But I'll always live with the fact that my DD thinks I have no fashion sense. I texted her a photo of some cute flat canvas shoes I bought recently. She texted back asking what kind of socks I planned to wear with them. I'm thinking that only an idiot would wear socks with them as they are clearly meant to be worn bare-footed. Then it hit me - she actually thought I was going to wear socks with them! So I texted back, "Black - mid calf. Is that OK?"

On one hand, they grow up and become our friends. On the other, we will always be the mom who embarrassed them just by being alive for 10 years or so. I have one friend whose daughter was embarrassed just by the fact that she was born since that meant all her friends knew her parents "did it!" We howled for months over that one! When my own daughter was a teenager I figured I had done my job on any given day if I got at least one eye roll. Don't let the eye rolls stop you.

Lin

I love everything about this, Lin! I agree - Freelance - you look fantastic in that top!

And those stories are HILARIOUS! I, too, embarrass my teenagers by the fact that I exist. But since they can't pay for rent or food without me, and the cost of taxis would be astronomical, I think existing is the lesser of two evils for them.

And thanks for the body glide tip. I'll have to look for that the next time I go to the drug store. It would be nice to wear a skirt occasionally without shorts underneath. :dizzy:

Hotaruchan
07-17-2012, 07:39 PM
You sure don't look like you are in your 50s! I think you fit in with the "jogging scene" just fine in what you are wearing! You look great!

^This. I would have guessed mid-forties tops if you hadn't prefaced everything by posting your age. Keep it up, you look awesome!

KylieH
07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
You look terrific. No worries in my book!

ChickieChicks
07-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Looking good! Not that you NEED to worry about looking good when working out, but you definitely do not look inappropriate or anything. Rock it!