Old 07-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #1  

Default New Here - Anyone Familiar with Eucalorics?

I am reading a book called Calorie Queens recommended to me by someone who lost a lot of weight using the recommendations in the book.

Basically, you lose weight eating your maintenance calories, the theory being if you weigh 200 lbs. but eat calories needed to support 140 lbs. you will eventually lose weight down to 140 lbs. No weight loss and then maintenance calories; you are eating maintenance now. And yes, the weight loss is slower.

I am going to try this. Has anyone done this?
speaknicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I didn't do it because I didn't know about it until I was almost at goal. I think it makes a lot of sense. There are 3fc members who are doing this.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I'm sure it works, but it sounds a little too slow for my taste. When in weight loss mode, I've always preferred to adjust my food intake to achieve an average loss rate of 1 to 1.25 pounds per week. But that's just me -- everyone has different preferences.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've always kind of had that in mind. I eat less than my goal weight maintenance level (~1600), mainly because I (like many people) want to lose more quickly, but I sometimes remind myself on an off day that even if I end up eating 1600 then I will reach my goal eventually.

I think it's a very sensible way to lose weight, and don't let people in a hurry discourage you from it!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #5  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I read Fat2Fit a while back and the authors recommend that strategy. I think it would have taken me too long to lose all the weight I wanted but, now that I've got fewer than 20 pounds left to lose, it's pretty much what I've been doing. I feel like it's good training for maintenance.

Good luck!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Sounds interesting, but I don't know whether it would really work for me. According to the daily calculators, my caloric intake for my goal weight would be around 1600 calories a day, which, to me, seems quite high to lose weight with. I might give it a try if I run into some kind of stall, though.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #7  

Thank you all for your feedback. I think I'm going to try it, since I'm in no rush.

I'm going to look for that fat2fit book. Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #8  

Steph7409...I can't thank you enough for mentioning fat 2 fit! I just went on amazon and searched through it. It is EXACTLY what I'm looking for and compliments the Calorie Queens book perfectly.

I can't believe I never heard of this book since I do keep up with the diet books. I ordered it and am very excited about receiving it...mainly because the more I read about Eucalorics, the more I feel it is the perfect way of eating for me.

THANK YOU AGAIN! I guess it's silly to get so excited about a weight loss book, but I feel I've found a way of eating that's perfect for me, so I am excited!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 8"

I eat between 1300 - 1800 cals a day (calorie cycling), which is the same range I will need to eat at when I am at my dream goal weight.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #10  

envelope, I like that the way we eat now will be the way we'll eat then.

Years ago I lost weight on a 1200 calorie diet. It was starvation for me. I'll never go through that again, ever. I applaud folks who can do it, but it never worked long term for me.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #11  

Hey Speaknicely...I am Lulu.

No I haven't heard of this before...sounds interesting though.

What has helped me to lose weight and feel great is the paleo diet. It actually doesn't encourage calorie counting at all but rather sticking to a natural food diet. No processed foods, no wheat, no dairy. If you are interested I highly recommend The Paleo Solution by Rob Wolf. It totally changed the way I look a food.

Anyway thanks for letting me share. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Lulu

Last edited by Lulu Jones; 07-16-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: typo and want to subscribe
Lulu Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #12  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

speaknicely, glad to be of service! I heard about it over on Lose It, my calorie tracking site. It's well written and made a lot of sense to me.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #13  

Thanks again Steph. The book is on its way! You might also like the book Calorie Queens. It's the same theory and a good read. Oh and your stats are AWESOME. Congratulations!

Lulu, I am glad Paleo is a good fit for you, but it's definitely not for me. But thanks anyway!
coffeebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #14  

Hey Speaknicely, How is your program going was the book helpful?

Hi Coffeebrain, Oh I totally get it. We are all different and at the end of the day we have to find a way of life and eating that works best for us I'm just happy to be able to share my experiences in a support space.

Chat with you later,
Lulu
Lulu Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 206/184/160

Height: 5'8"

Fat 2 fit has saved my life. I am on the plan you're describing. eating ~1820cal/ day and loving life. Its easy. I will be at goal weight within another year and a half, and although that seems long to most people here, I am ok with it. My body is changing gradually, allowing me to get used to it and reducing my chances of saggy skin issues as well. I listen to the fat 2 fit podcast all the time for motivation while working out or having lunch.
SaraShrinking is offline   Reply With Quote