General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Finally Started Seeing a Therapist

As I'm sure I've said on another thread at some point, I've always had really low self-esteem. Well, more like non-existent self-esteem. Also a fairly decent helping of depression, on and off. For the last year and a half, I've been absolutely miserable. I don't enjoy anything, I'm so lonely I don't want to wake up most mornings.

I finally gathered enough courage (or got miserable enough) to contact a counselor. I had my first visit earlier this week, and it was just so... NICE... to hear that I'm not defective, that I'm worth love, and that no, I don't, in fact, only deserve guys that are verbally abusive. Because that's all I felt I deserved- I would take what I could get, and be happy about it, because I didn't deserve anyone better.

During the first session, she recommended a self-help book entitled "Celebrate Your Self", by Dorothy Briggs, which we will apparently work through together. Has anyone used this book? Was it helpful?

If you've read this far, thanks. I just wanted to get this out there. I know I can't keep living the way I have been. I'm getting my body healthy, and now my mind needs to get healthy too. So thanks for listening
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #2  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Good for you for reaching out, that is usually the hardest part. I've not read or heard of the book you mention but thinking I'm going to google it now. Best of luck on your journey through therapy, it did wonders for my sons low self esteem so I am a huge advocate of it.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #3  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I've been thinking about counseling as well. I've had self-esteem problems all of my life, which being heavy exacerbated. Getting some control of my eating has made me hate myself less but I'm still...not right, somehow. Not that I expected losing weight to make everything perfect!

Anyway - good luck! I'd love to hear about your progress.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

That's great, congratulations on taking that step! I went to a counselor for the first time last year and can say it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I hope it's as helpful for you as it was for me.

(Haven't used Celebrate Yourself. Hope it's good!)
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

I was seeing a counsellor for non-specific anxiety a couple of years ago. The hardest thing was making that first phone call. As I was sitting in the waiting room, I almost chickened out and left...but didn't. It was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.
I had sessions once a week, then 2xmonth, then monthly then every 1.5 months. I felt so much better every time I went.
I know anxiety is not like low self esteem but regardless going to see a counsellor can be intimidating and scary. Good For You for taking that first step.
Good Luck!!
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote